Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Why can't I use runes on anything that has slots? In the last game, it was no holds barred, but this time around I can barely use any of mine. And there doesn't seem to be any indication as to why I can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

nickmeister posted:

Why can't I use runes on anything that has slots? In the last game, it was no holds barred, but this time around I can barely use any of mine. And there doesn't seem to be any indication as to why I can't.

Runes (on-hit effects, attack power, sign intensity, etc) go on weapons. Glyphs (specific sign intensity mostly?) go in armor.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

nickmeister posted:

Some runes are for armor and some are for weapons.

Edit: or what the above said

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Arglebargle III posted:

I've been playing the Witcher 3 for a month. I don't think I remember what else I should do with my free time.
I dont either. An expansion I was very excited for came out for Europa Universalis and I have only launched the game once (and only played for like 5 minutes) since the expansion came out last Tuesday!

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Has anyone found out what the quickest/best/most convenient merchant to sell all your poo poo to is? I've been going after the ?'s on the map and every single time I clear one I end up with an inventory full of swords and armour. I can't leave them behind, I must get my money's worth damnit :argh:

edit - ideally would be a stone's throw/overburdened shuffle from a quick travel point, and have tons of gold to buy my knackered old poo poo with.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I've amassed a large amount of monster bits and weeds, but it seems like the systems have changed so much, there's no point in having lots of them? Do I need them for when Geralt meditates and my potions are refilled?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

nickmeister posted:

I've amassed a large amount of monster bits and weeds, but it seems like the systems have changed so much, there's no point in having lots of them? Do I need them for when Geralt meditates and my potions are refilled?

No but you might need some of them for the upgraded potions. For some reason I am constantly short of arenaria and ergot seeds even though I buy them everywhere I can.

E: some of them are handy for dismantling for some crafting, for instance harpy feathers dismantles to monster feathers for the Griffin set.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yoshimo posted:

Has anyone found out what the quickest/best/most convenient merchant to sell all your poo poo to is? I've been going after the ?'s on the map and every single time I clear one I end up with an inventory full of swords and armour. I can't leave them behind, I must get my money's worth damnit :argh:

edit - ideally would be a stone's throw/overburdened shuffle from a quick travel point, and have tons of gold to buy my knackered old poo poo with.

I always went to the one's at Crow's Nest in the Baron's villa. Really close to a signpost and they have a good amount of money. You have an armorer and merchant right next to each other.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
The square in Novigrad is also a good one. Armorer with a few K coin, herbalist, moneychanger (for all those florens/orens you pick up) and a few other merchants.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Don't forget the bottle exchange hobo north of the docks in Novigrad. I think he buys everything and anything at full price but only sells bottles, so you'll need to buy a few stacks from him (exit and re-enter shop to refresh his inventory) and then sell those to whoever.

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

I'm not sure how far into the main story I am - it's really easy to get distracted and go off on your own. The Cronies of Crookbag Bog quest line was amazing. Those witches were terrifyingly creepy. I'm at the point where I return to Velen from Skellige. My only major complaint with the game is the music. It does get kind of repetitive, which isn't surprising considering how many hours I've poured into it. That one song in Novigrad with the flute or clarinet that just repeats over and over had me on the verge of madness.

I also wish there was an option to put a compass on screen - separate from the mini map. I find myself staring at the mini map way to often to figure out where to go, which is a shame since the game looks amazing.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Yoshimo posted:

I found some beggar/peasant on the shore of the river in Novigrad who gives an insane amount of money for poo poo. The highest I've seen for junk items at least. He gave me something like 250+ for the ruby rings. He's right across from that dwarf who stole all the dead mages poo poo assuming you didn't rat him out.

Just wish he had more money at times.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Skill Chat:

Thinking about respeccing to free up the "general" abilities I don't need anymore.

I took arrow deflection early on, and it really really helped with all those bandit camps when I was on my obsessive "?" quest. Mid game (probably not? Level 20, though) and I haven't used it recently. Without majorly spoiling anything, is arrow deflection worth keeping or are those 3 points better spent elsewhere? Seems Iike the 5 points I have in dodge are better now.

JetsGuy posted:

I found some beggar/peasant on the shore of the river in Novigrad who gives an insane amount of money for poo poo. The highest I've seen for junk items at least. He gave me something like 250+ for the ruby rings. He's right across from that dwarf who stole all the dead mages poo poo assuming you didn't rat him out.

Just wish he had more money at times.

There's a herbalist/alchemist outside of an eastern gate of Novigrad who'll buy monster trophies full price, but like any good merchant he has no cash.

I'm starting to think the dirty bottle-man is your best bet.

Mostly Combat/Alchemy build. Fast/Cat armor style :cool: :3:

Alchemy in this game was weird at first with the not needed to constantly make potions, but I must say they've made alchemy far more appealing than it was in the Witcher 2.

New Question: speaking of selling junk, is there someone I can sell bolts to? Or should I just drop them? I noticed they're taking up the most weight in my inventory and to be honest, outside of swimming, I never use the crossbow.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 19, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Codependent Poster posted:

I always went to the one's at Crow's Nest in the Baron's villa. Really close to a signpost and they have a good amount of money. You have an armorer and merchant right next to each other.

The run from that signpost to the baron's is like, my least favorite run in the game, you're crazy.

Hierarch square is where I did my selling, but mostly I just dropped stuff - 20k gold ain't doing me any good and I wish I had that time back.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Reminder that the genius behind the bottle shop is OOOOOOODRIN.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Snuffman posted:

Skill Chat:

Thinking about respeccing to free up the "general" abilities I don't need anymore.

I took arrow deflection early on, and it really really helped with all those bandit camps when I was on my obsessive "?" quest. Mid game (probably not? Level 20, though) and I haven't used it recently. Without majorly spoiling anything, is arrow deflection worth keeping or are those 3 points better spent elsewhere? Seems Iike the 5 points I have in dodge are better now.

There's a herbalist/alchemist outside of an eastern gate of Novigrad who'll buy monster trophies full price, but like any good merchant he has no cash.

I'm starting to think the dirty bottle-man is your best bet.

Mostly Combat/Alchemy build. Fast/Cat armor style :cool: :3:

Alchemy in this game was weird at first with the not needed to constantly make potions, but I must say they've made alchemy far more appealing than it was in the Witcher 2.

New Question: speaking of selling junk, is there someone I can sell bolts to? Or should I just drop them? I noticed they're taking up the most weight in my inventory and to be honest, outside of swimming, I never use the crossbow.

I think Bottle guy is the same guy I'm thinking of? I'm not 100%, but I *think* so.

EDIT:
I run through bolts so quickly I stopped crafting them because it was too much to worry about. lovely infinite bolts, yay! On a lot of tough fights you can actually stand just on the edge of the mob's aggro range and just bolt them. It's pretty useful if you're near death and need to recover. Just keep firing bolts at them and they get all sorts of mad.

I finished off the fog witcher hunt that way after he was at 20% i just hung out on a ledge and bolted him down the rest of the way. His decoy buddies kept spawning and trying to hit me but I was just out of their area.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 19, 2015

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Snuffman posted:

Skill Chat:

Yeah you can just take it out pretty safely, there won't be a sudden deluge of archers where you'd desperately need it or anything. By this point you should be strong enough that on the occasion where one does pop up you can just run right up to them and carve them apart with a few strikes.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Davoren posted:

Reminder that the genius behind the bottle shop is OOOOOOODRIN.
Literally behind it, as in sleeping drunk on the jetty.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I really like the mounted combat in W3. It feels great to gallop through a bandit camp and hit a couple of them before they even know what hit them. But it's especially good when you meet mounted bandits.

There's nothing like a tourney-style encounter where you both run towards each other ready to strike. I know, it's not very realistic in a sense, but it's cool as hell. I'd like to see some tougher opponents on horseback, like a wild hunt warrior.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Azazell0 posted:

I really like the mounted combat in W3. It feels great to gallop through a bandit camp and hit a couple of them before they even know what hit them. But it's especially good when you meet mounted bandits.

yeah until your piece of poo poo horse notices that he is running against the grain of the grass and decides to be a bitch about it

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
The moments of awkward silence when Roach halts on a dime and Geralt is just sitting there with his sword raised are great.

And by great, I mean kind of frustrating

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Azazell0 posted:

There's nothing like a tourney-style encounter where you both run towards each other ready to strike. I know, it's not very realistic in a sense, but it's cool as hell. I'd like to see some tougher opponents on horseback, like a wild hunt warrior.

I just jump off Roach and Igni the horse and the horse says, "gently caress this poo poo" and leaves the bandit behind.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It's be nice if the fifth igni skill let you shoot alt igni on both sides as you ride around on horseback.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

JetsGuy posted:

I just jump off Roach and Igni the horse and the horse says, "gently caress this poo poo" and leaves the bandit behind.

And it's pretty much an instakill. It was basically how I took down every mounted bandit for a while.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Once I learned you can hold the attack button down while on horseback to time your attacks, it became the superior method of taking out pretty much anything for me. It even gives you helpful slow-mo when you do it.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
How hard is it to hit 34 by story to wear Wolf gear? I ended up around 32, 33 on normal but suspect B&BB makes it a tad harder...

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

The dude who buys stuff full price east of Novigrad is the Alchemist in the crematorium right? He's bugged for me, can't be interacted with at all, disappears when I meditate.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Just noticed this painting, it's in the Golden sturgeon, in the dreamer's room

and here's the original

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

GuyUpNorth posted:

How hard is it to hit 34 by story to wear Wolf gear? I ended up around 32, 33 on normal but suspect B&BB makes it a tad harder...

When I finished I just barely hit level 34 on BBB switching to DM halfway through. I have a ton of greyed quests and a few near my level, wasn't very completionist.

I don't think you'll have much problem hitting 34 or even 35 eventually, but you won't get there until beating the game. Isles of Mists through the siege of Kaer Morhen drops like 4 levels of XP on you in a couple hours, and similarly the rest of the final main quests give another few levels worth.

I hit level 25, had finished up all the character quests and most of my remaining quest log was gray quests or stuff I wasn't too excited about, so I did Isle of Mists and on through finishing the game. I went from 25 -> 34 pretty much entirely from main quest XP in the final sequences.

The pacing of the level progression is really weird and since so much XP is tied up in the main quest line you're not going to be remotely near wearing Mastercrafted gear until you're nearly finished with the game.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 19, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I ended at 34, very close to 35 on better business bureau difficulty.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
all you suckers that are cheesing on anything but death march need to step your game up

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I ended up at 36 on B&BB and I did everything (and most of the exp giving ?), but plenty of things also went gray.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I hit 35 in the epilogue.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

There needs to be an additional, bigger saddlebag now that there are 4 Witcher sets.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
if you can't make a choice as to which sets to keep in your 160lb saddlebag, you for sure have autism.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Cole posted:

if you can't make a choice as to which sets to keep in your 160lb saddlebag, you for sure have autism.

My bag with no additional armor sets other than what I'm actually wearing at the time is ~130lbs. I sell all my food too.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Levantine posted:

My bag with no additional armor sets other than what I'm actually wearing at the time is ~130lbs. I sell all my food too.

i have ten of every herb i have collected in the game (except for herbs i haven't collected up to ten yet), a minimum of three of each piece of armor including weapons since i don't like carrying repair kits and would rather just switch it out, plus a bunch of food, and i haven't gone over 100lbs. i have actually thought about how buying the 100lb saddlebags was a waste of money.

stop hoarding your video game items, you won't need most of them.

(you don't need the steel plates and diamond dust and poo poo like that if you already have all of the stuff you want crafted)

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I wish the game would be like every other RPG and tell you how many of an item you have when you have it selected in a merchant. Yeah, I can go over to the inventory and check, but what a pain in the rear end. Just tell me how many I have so I know what to buy.

Also does the game keep selling you scrolls/formulae/diagrams for poo poo you already have? If so, gently caress off game.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Levantine posted:

Same. I don't even know what the hell weighs so much since the inventory doesn't let me sort things by weight and I can't be bothered to go check every item manually.

Maybe it's the combined weight of my ingredients collection, including literally 500 dwarven spirit, 400 alcohest and similarly silly amounts of everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

jaete posted:

Same. I don't even know what the hell weighs so much since the inventory doesn't let me sort things by weight and I can't be bothered to go check every item manually.

Maybe it's the combined weight of my ingredients collection, including literally 500 dwarven spirit, 400 alcohest and similarly silly amounts of everything else.

Pretty sure all food/crafting/alchemy items weigh .01 each