Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Is Brooklyn some new haven for Neo-Cons?

Wouldn't be shocked. There's a million trust fund babies there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

bpower posted:

Why are so many of the men on Fox grotesque when all the women are super hot (their character notwithstanding ). Why not all hot women and all hot men. Hot people!

Pretty sure the old white dudes they put on are supposed to add legitimacy to everything the network says. People listen to old white guys and take the things they say very seriously. An old white guy in a suit telling you something is more likely to sound good than a young, buff hunk. Well if you're an old white dude yourself, anyway.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Fox News has all the hot women, but CNN has Anderson Cooper :fap:

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I think this qualifies as RWM, but maybe I'm just filled with impotent, ideological spite: http://www.vox.com/2015/6/19/8811831/conservatives-rich-people-jerks

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

N. Senada posted:

I think this qualifies as RWM, but maybe I'm just filled with impotent, ideological spite: http://www.vox.com/2015/6/19/8811831/conservatives-rich-people-jerks

~*~Economic policy is complicated~*~

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

N. Senada posted:

That article is really hosed up. Here's my summary: In spite of studies to the contrary, right wing economic policy really is better for the economy because conservatives have money. And having money means they know something you don't: How to have money.

Oh, and the only reason you disagree is because of your liberal predisposition.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
But I got my liberal disposition from living under conservative economic policy

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Good Citizen posted:

World net daily thinks the Clinton foundation finances are going to 'Enron' PwC:

http://mobile.wnd.com/2015/06/clintons-could-enron-major-accounting-firm/

This poo poo is hilarious but you may need to know some accounting to get how truly stupid it is. My favorite part was thinking that assets going down by the same amount as liabilities was 'highly suspicious'

I have an associates in accounting, and I think reading this article just killed 3% of my brain cells.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I caught some Limbaugh today...I'm not sure if I was able to derive the context properly but it seemed he was arguing that stuff like that Charleston shooting was the result of the mainstream media always pushing apocalyptic news stories like global warming etc.

I didn't explicitly hear him mention the shooting but I missed the lead in. He was non-ironically saying that the repetition of these types of scare-mongering stories warps peoples' world views.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Well duh. If you don't talk about racism and plug your ears hard enough whenever people try to bring it up, places like Stormfront and Freep would just fade away in the abyss~

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I didn't explicitly hear him mention the shooting but I missed the lead in. He was non-ironically saying that the repetition of these types of scare-mongering stories warps peoples' world views.

ironically he is 100% correct

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

turnip kid posted:

Maybe.

The same guy wrote this:

http://thewilderness.me/youth-revolt/

:\

The youth are revolting imo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

N. Senada posted:

Amusingly, this isn't coming from Matt Y, Vox's economics reporter, but by the guy who used to do articles for tech website ArsTechnica. I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

In shooter news, I heard in uspol that Bill O'Reilly actually called this terrorism. That's a stand I wouldn't think would be allowed on Fox...

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Admitting white supremacists more violent actors are 'terrorists' and everything that comes with label would be kinda nuts.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

ironically he is 100% correct

Exactly.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Also, "terrorism" implies "Islamist" which directly plays into the kind of narrative that people want to spin the shooting into.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Takoluka posted:

So according to CNN, Roof literally told investigators he wanted to start a race war. Like, verbatim. I want to see them spin THAT.

Drugs. Drugs made him say that.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

turnip kid posted:

Maybe.

The same guy wrote this:

http://thewilderness.me/youth-revolt/

:\

Holy poo poo that Rand Paul quote :lol:

Republicans just need to be more hipster then they'll govern EVERYTHING!!!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Pixelboy posted:

Drugs. Drugs made him say that.

Pfft. It's an obvious insanity ploy.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Has anyone prominent who is pushing the "he hates christians!" line been asked why it appears Dylann drove for 2 hours to a historic black church instead of stopping at any number of other ones on the way?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Has anyone prominent who is pushing the "he hates christians!" line been asked why it appears Dylann drove for 2 hours to a historic black church instead of stopping at any number of other ones on the way?

Why are you trying to make this about race? This is a tragedy and we shouldn't be trying to use it for political reasons. Just let people mourn and pray and ignore the reasons why this happened. Why can't you people on the left just not make clearly senseless violence political?!

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

I know US news isn't good with foreign news but how is this story about the burning of historic Christian church in Israel by Jewish extremists being covered? (In any outlets which have covered it.)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...a-10329998.html

In the :foxnews: "war on Christianity" is there ever coverage of the genuine attacks on Christians in Iraq/Syria/Kenya/Nigeria? As I don't live in the US, I am curious as to whether all the domestic "war on Christianity" storyline ever incorporates genuine atrocities into its coverage to legitimise fake :derp:?

E: I know there is a loose alliance/reciprocity between evangelicals and Jewish/Israeli lobbyists and I am kind of curious to see how an American pro-Christian media handles events where Jewish extremists and Christians are in conflict.

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 19, 2015

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If it didn't happen in the us it's not getting covered.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

If it is mentioned at all it'll just vaguely be linked to general extremists. The American people have been conditioned so well they'll automatically associate it with Muslims

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

In the :foxnews: "war on Christianity" is there ever coverage of the genuine attacks on Christians in Iraq/Syria/Kenya/Nigeria? As I don't live in the US, I am curious as to whether all the domestic "war on Christianity" storyline ever incorporates genuine atrocities into its coverage to legitimise fake :derp:

yea, but only if it's a slow news day or they're doing something about those drat muslims and need to whip people up by running footage of the latest christian denomination to get hit (ignoring that the majority of isis violence is perpetrated against other muslims)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Leofish posted:

It's not up on the web yet, but on last night's Daily Show opening, Jon Stewart called out all that poo poo. He called out the fact that America has spent trillions of dollars and lost thousands of American lives invading two countries, and flying drones over half a dozen others all in the name of keeping Americans safe from foreigners who want to kill them, but the nation refuses to believe there's a problem within. He straight up called the Charleston shooting a terrorist attack, and a clear case of a racist who wanted to kill people he hated. "There's no nuance here."

A pro watch. He didn't name names or show any clips of Fox types denying the racist element, but still called out that general attitude completely.

I'm going to miss Job Stewart terribly. Colbert too but to a lesser extent. I'm not sure who ca take up the mantle.Stewart has done The Lord's Work for a long, long time and it's going to flat out suck when he retires.

edit: aw, gently caress it.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I caught some Limbaugh today...I'm not sure if I was able to derive the context properly but it seemed he was arguing that stuff like that Charleston shooting was the result of the mainstream media always pushing apocalyptic news stories like global warming etc.

I heard that too. I'm not sure what kind of point or connection he was trying to make. I just knew when he started and drew a breath to talk about it, it was going to be the fault of liberalism. And I was correct. Rush Limbuagh is insane at worst and a willfully ignorant shill at best.

Also, what CHURCHES need is MORE GUNS. Holy poo poo.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 19, 2015

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Gravel Gravy posted:

It works in Highlander :shrug:

Be fair... to Highlander, they limited it to swords. :colbert:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So pretty much everyone who knows this kid says he's been going around talking about killing blacks and how the US needs to segregate the races and how he would snap and scream racial slurs at black people in public.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/suspected-charleston-church-shooter-gun-birthday-article-1.2262393

quote:

A friend, Joseph Meek, 20, told the Daily News he had taken the .45 Glock away from Roof two weeks ago after Roof went on a drunken, bigoted rant about segregation and killing people.

“He said he was planning for about six months to do something crazy,” said Meek, who is white. “He wanted it to be segregated. He wanted it to be white with the white, black with the black. All the races segregated.

“He wanted to do something big, like the Trayvon Martin case,” said Meek, referring to the unarmed black teen gunned down in 2012 in Florida by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman. “He was upset about it. It made him mad.”

Meek said he took the gun away but, prompted by his own legal troubles, returned it the next day.

“I only took it away because he was drunk. I didn’t take him seriously,” Meek said. “I do feel a little guilty because I could have let someone know.”

Another friend, Dalton Tyler, 20, said Roof talked openly about wanting segregation and his desire to start a civil war. He recalled Roof once yelling a racial slur and threatening a black woman for merely looking at him.

“He told her, ‘What the f--k you looking at, n----r! I’ll shoot your rear end,’ ” Tyler told The News.

On his Facebook page, Roof posted more hints that he hated black people. In a profile photo, he posed scowling and wearing a black jacket emblazoned with an apartheid-era South African flag and another representing the former white supremacist African state of Rhodesia, which is now Zimbabwe.

lol its about religious persecution.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 19, 2015

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

pentyne posted:

So pretty much everyone who knows this kid says he's been going around talking about killing blacks and how the US needs to segregate the races and how he would snap and scream racial slurs at black people in public.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/suspected-charleston-church-shooter-gun-birthday-article-1.2262393

lol its about religious persecution.

So how racist does a southerner have to be before their totally-not-racist friends tell them to gently caress off?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

bpower posted:

So how racist does a southerner have to be before their totally-not-racist friends tell them to gently caress off?

When they actually start killing black people.

Kreg
Sep 2, 2006

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I know US news isn't good with foreign news but how is this story about the burning of historic Christian church in Israel by Jewish extremists being covered? (In any outlets which have covered it.)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...a-10329998.html

In the :foxnews: "war on Christianity" is there ever coverage of the genuine attacks on Christians in Iraq/Syria/Kenya/Nigeria? As I don't live in the US, I am curious as to whether all the domestic "war on Christianity" storyline ever incorporates genuine atrocities into its coverage to legitimise fake :derp:?

E: I know there is a loose alliance/reciprocity between evangelicals and Jewish/Israeli lobbyists and I am kind of curious to see how an American pro-Christian media handles events where Jewish extremists and Christians are in conflict.

I heard 30 seconds about this on the BBC's NPR program, that is about it.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

bpower posted:

I've done it plenty of times most of my life.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

bpower posted:

"I mean, we all say stuff like that, but I'd never actually go out and do it"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

pentyne posted:

"I mean, we all say stuff like that, but I'd never actually go out and do it"

One of the most disturbing things in the days following has definitely been the blurbs from various acquaintances saying, essentially, that there's so much RAHOWA talk in their lives that no one can tell who's just talking black genocide for a larf and who's a couple weeks away from mass murder.

I feel bad for the friend who tried to get the gun away from him and then relented.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
If you're reverse racist they tell you gently caress off fast.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
They sure are going hard with the "he was on drugs!" plan.

http://www.chron.com/news/politics/article/Interview-Rick-Perry-says-hate-crime-mass-6338328.php

quote:

If you thought Rick Perry's "oops" moments were all tapped out in the last presidential election, the former Texas governor has managed to wring out a few more over the massacre in Charleston, S.C., the Guardian reports.

Late Wednesday night, police say Dylann Storm Roof, 21, opened fire inside a historic black church, killing 9 people. Prior to the shooting, one of the surviving witnesses said Roof told the victims this:

"I have to do it. You're raping our women and taking over the country. You have to go."

Friday, the 2016 GOP presidential candidate talked about the shootings with Newsmax TV, calling the murders "an accident" and the possible result of "prescription drug abuse."

"This is the M.O. of this administration, any time there is an accident like this, the president is clear. He doesn't like for Americans to have guns and so he uses every opportunity, this being another one, to basically go parrot that message," he said.

Calling the shootings an accident was likely just a word flub as Perry did clarify they were a hate crime though he did not want to say directly that it was a "act of terror." He did go on to say the "real issue" was Storm's reported abuse of prescription drugs.

"It seems to me – again, without having all the details about this one – that these individuals have been medicated. And there may be a real issue in this country, from the standpoint of these drugs, and how they're used," Perry said.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, what CHURCHES need is MORE GUNS. Holy poo poo.

Oh, you know it. http://bigstory.ap.org/article/01c382ecd4004e8589de40cec4199d88/nra-board-member-blames-victim-charleston-shooting

quote:

A Houston attorney on the National Rifle Association's board of directors is blaming the deadly Charleston church shooting on one of the victims, saying the slain pastor had opposed concealed carry legislation as a state senator that could have saved him and his fellow worshipers.

In an interview Friday with The Associated Press, Charles Cotton confirmed writing that "innocent people died because of (Clementa Pinckney's) position on a political issue." The post appeared Thursday in an online discussion board about concealed handguns.

Nine people were killed Wednesday night after a 21-year-old gunman opened fire during a Bible study at The Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, where Pinckney was pastor.

Cotton told the AP that he was expressing a personal opinion not reflective of the NRA. He also said he was "stumped" that his comments were still visible because he had deleted them after later deciding they were inappropriate.

Cotton said that Pinckney had voted against a concealed carry measure as a South Carolina senator, but a search of legislative archives could not immediately find any such measure. And he noted that the South Carolina law that bans guns in places of worship unless specifically allowed was the exact opposite of Texas law, which allows guns unless they specifically are prohibited. Cotton, a former police officer in Friendswood, south of Houston, said he carries a gun into church.

"That's the thing that's frustrating to me: Laws that disarm intended victims," Cotton told the AP. "How many more is it going to take when people realize there is no such thing as a gun-free zone?"

Mass shootings are "rare in the grand scheme of things," Cotton said. But "almost every one of them (the mass shootings) happen in a supposed gun-free zone, like a church, a school, or a military base like Fort Hood," he said, referring to the U.S. Army base in central Texas that has been the site of two mass shootings in recent years.

Larry Martin, the Republican chairman of the South Carolina Senate Judiciary Committee, called Cotton's comments "outrageous." He said South Carolina's concealed carry law allows permit holders to carry a gun in church if the church has given authorization. But the law has never allowed permit holders to bring a gun into a church without such permission, he said. The original law, passed in 1996, predates Pinckney's tenure.

Last year, Martin's committee rejected a so-called "constitutional carry" bill that would have allowed people to carry guns in public without a permit. But Pinckney was not on that committee and therefore took no vote on it.

"Look, I'm not sayin' this pastor/senator was kinda askin' for it, I'm just sayin' that if he believed the right things this wouldn't have happened."

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I was listening to the right wing christian take on today's events in the form of Janet Parshall.

Would it shock you to know that they didn't even remotely bring up the fact that he was indeed a racist and just focused on his drug use?

Unfuckingreal.

But I guess I should expect nothing less from people who unironically had a guest on the other day that kept going on about how good the British Empire was for various native people across the world, and how Gahndi was a fervent supporter of "limited government" and supported the British Gov't back in the day.

e: If anyone can? Bring back the history thread. I have a full list of this guy's books and how wrong he is on topics ranging from the Civil War to American History.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Like A Typical Leftist...Mass Murderer Wanted To Burn American Flag

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2015/06/like-a-typical-leftist-mass-murderer-dylann-storm-root-wanted-to-burn-american-flag/

I'm left with no other feeling than the very feeling I condemn. I want to see people like this just suddenly up & loving die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

FuzzySkinner posted:

I was listening to the right wing christian take on today's events in the form of Janet Parshall.

Would it shock you to know that they didn't even remotely bring up the fact that he was indeed a racist and just focused on his drug use?

Unfuckingreal.

But I guess I should expect nothing less from people who unironically had a guest on the other day that kept going on about how good the British Empire was for various native people across the world, and how Gahndi was a fervent supporter of "limited government" and supported the British Gov't back in the day.

e: If anyone can? Bring back the history thread. I have a full list of this guy's books and how wrong he is on topics ranging from the Civil War to American History.

The amazing thing is, the family members of the victims straight up said to the guy "We forgive you. Pray and repent your sins. May God have mercy on you." They were obviously devastated and said as much, but they did the actual Christian thing and forgave the killer.