Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Peas and Rice posted:

I've never heard of a d1 before.

It's a marble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Latest Bundle of Holding is a set of indie noir/crime fiction RPGs.

$6 gets you:
The Big Crime
Dirty Secrets
Fastlane: Everything, All the Time
One Last Job

BTA ($13 or so at time of writing) gets you:
A Dirty World (!!!!) - Greg Stolze's classic and the only one I'm familiar with here.
Killshot: The Director's Cut
Secrets and Lies: Hardboiled Triple Feature
Streets of Bedlam (a Savage Worlds setting)
Death Kisses Coldly (an adventure for The Big Crime)

ADW's normally $10, so my question is whether there's anything else here that justifies the extra $3+.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
One Last Job is good and worth at least $5.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Lord Frisk posted:

It's a marble.
Technically speaking a marble would also be a D-infinite.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 13, 2015

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

malkav11 posted:

Latest Bundle of Holding is a set of indie noir/crime fiction RPGs.

$6 gets you:
The Big Crime
Dirty Secrets
Fastlane: Everything, All the Time
One Last Job

BTA ($13 or so at time of writing) gets you:
A Dirty World (!!!!) - Greg Stolze's classic and the only one I'm familiar with here.
Killshot: The Director's Cut
Secrets and Lies: Hardboiled Triple Feature
Streets of Bedlam (a Savage Worlds setting)
Death Kisses Coldly (an adventure for The Big Crime)

ADW's normally $10, so my question is whether there's anything else here that justifies the extra $3+.

A Dirty World is awesome. Greg Stolze really outdid himself. We just wrapped up a campaign of it last year and it ended in a beautiful storm of betrayal and each character being worse off for getting involved. Would play again!

I can definitely recommend Dirty Secrets too, it's got a really unique design. I will admit that I am biased as I am IRL friends with its author. :)

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Tomorrow is FREE RPG DAY. I wish i was super committed to write up all this free poo poo to analyze it.... I'm not. But! you can click on the link and find out for yourself whether or not you want some free stuff. Maybe just show up at your FLGS and spend ten bucks on something to keep them in business.

FREE RPG DAY.

FREE RPG DAY

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I'm running the F&D beginner game to intro people to Star Wars. Gonna go for the PF adventure and the 5E adventure. I'll pick up the 13th Age adventure if there are extras.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Looks like there's something fun besides Cosmic Patrol and 30 versions of dnd!

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Pick up the 13th Age Night's Black Agents one.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Dungeon Crawl Classics's got a :krad: DM screen that I'm going to stand in line outside the store for before they open.

(And then probably finally pull the trigger on DCC.)

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

moths posted:

Dungeon Crawl Classics's got a :krad: DM screen that I'm going to stand in line outside the store for before they open.

(And then probably finally pull the trigger on DCC.)

Yeah, that screen is getting me off my couch for Free RPG day!

Do you have to get there super early to score one? I've never done this before.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They actually got 10 of them at my store, and DCC isn't the most popular title - but it's still free so I'd go earlier than later.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
The first store I went to had their box of stuff but only one employee who couldn't leave the desk to get it while there were customers i the store.

Second store I went to, they unpacked the box for me and told me to take whatever I wanted. They easily had 40 DCC screens. I took one. Apparently the box also included the most recent hardcover DCC book, which the woman insisted I take, along with a wooden dice box and one of every adventure. (Her: we have to get rid of all this stuff anyway, so you might as well take it.) I skipped a few things but they had 2 different Goodman Games 5th ed adventures, a Night's Black Agents adventure, and a quickstart for a superhero game.

I felt like a jackass for taking the hardcover DCC book (I'm pretty sure it was for a GM to run the game as a demo, and told her so, but she insisted) so I bought some other stuff. Yay guilt buying!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The Night's Black Agents adventure is solid.

I ended up playtesting someone's superhero heartbreaker. It was pile of d10s+addition based, which revealed how slow I am adding up 15 digit sums. (Super speedsters roll a lot of dice!)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Two new deals popped up today:

This StoryBundle is all video game books, but has all four volumes of Designers & Dragons if you beat the $20 bonus price.

lumpley games just released this bundle of Vincent and Meguey Baker's first nine games on DriveThru for $25: Apocalypse World, Dogs in the Vineyard, kill puppies for satan, In a Wicked Age, Midsummer Wood, Murderous Ghosts, Poison'd, Spin the Beetle, and The Sundered Land.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
It's actually $12 for the bonus price, $20 is just the default.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Not going to spam up the thread with DrivethruRPG Deals of the Day, but today's is pretty sweet, you can get the World of Darkness corebook for $3 here. Don't forget the God-Machine Rules Update is also available for free if you want to try out the newest iteration of these rules.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

If you're signed up for the Mantic newsletter before July 10th, you'll get a free PDF of Kings of War 2! Although I think the rules are expected to be free anyway, so this is a little confusing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

JDCorley posted:

Not going to spam up the thread with DrivethruRPG Deals of the Day, but today's is pretty sweet, you can get the World of Darkness corebook for $3 here. Don't forget the God-Machine Rules Update is also available for free if you want to try out the newest iteration of these rules.

Is this what people are talking about when they talk about "oWoD" or "nWoD", and this is a complete game?

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is this what people are talking about when they talk about "oWoD" or "nWoD", and this is a complete game?

That's nWoD or New World of Darkness. It is a complete game, although it has a lot of supplements that allow you to play things other than mortals. oWoD, or Old World of Darkness, is from the 90's, and is actually fairly different, in both rules and fluff.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Old vs New WOD is split where they did a systems overhaul and rewrote all the settings (to their detriment, in pretty much all but Changeling) in 2004. Followed by White Wolf getting bought out by the guys who run EvE Online in 2006, then getting out of the RPG business and selling off most of their properties to Onyx Path in 2012.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

oWoD and nWoD are completely different settings and surprisingly different games for how similar they look. They have very different themes as well - grimdark horror for oWoD and personal mystery for nWoD. They're both complete games and good in their own ways - similar to OD&D and AD&D - look very similar, actually very different, both good for different reasons.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Liquid Communism posted:

Old vs New WOD is split where they did a systems overhaul and rewrote all the settings (to their detriment, in pretty much all but Changeling) in 2004.

That's very subjective. I hated the OWoD metaplot and while I liked pieces of the settings in the rulebooks, overall felt they were slapdash. NWoD, on the other hand, appealed much more.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ibntumart posted:

That's very subjective. I hated the OWoD metaplot and while I liked pieces of the settings in the rulebooks, overall felt they were slapdash. NWoD, on the other hand, appealed much more.

I may be a bit bitter. I really, really liked Werewolf: The Apocalypse's whole cosmology and attitude, and the new Werewolf went from being a whole society that is relentlessly hosed and doomed because they had one job and hosed it up majorly; to being a personal horror story about racial guilt where literally everything else in the universe hates you for something people previously sharing your curse did, and the antagonist equivalent of your characters (The Pure) are treated as the actual protagonists of the piece.

New Vampire just never clicked because it felt too much like old Vampire with a few names changed around and a couple mechanics wedged in to nerf the Elder and Antediluvian metaplot.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'd have to say I find the newer material to be a lot better written and internally consistent, where a lot of the old stuff is... well, dependent on how nostalgic you are for the '90s, IMO. The core World of Darkness book from '04 is a good bellwether for how much you'll like the rest of the line, in any case.

Liquid Communism posted:

I may be a bit bitter. I really, really liked Werewolf: The Apocalypse's whole cosmology and attitude, and the new Werewolf went from being a whole society that is relentlessly hosed and doomed because they had one job and hosed it up majorly; to being a personal horror story about racial guilt where literally everything else in the universe hates you for something people previously sharing your curse did, and the antagonist equivalent of your characters (The Pure) are treated as the actual protagonists of the piece.

Taken on its own terms, I think it's actually one of the stronger new versions they did. It's not necessarily going to appeal to old Werewolf fans because it's a much more horrific, disempowering setting. But it also doesn't have the encouragement of bestiality that was in previous editions, which I find to be a big plus.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Old vs New WOD is split where they did a systems overhaul and rewrote all the settings (to their detriment, in pretty much all but Changeling) in 2004. Followed by White Wolf getting bought out by the guys who run EvE Online in 2006, then getting out of the RPG business and selling off most of their properties to Onyx Path in 2012.

Wait a minute. Onyx Path is a different company than White Wolf? I was under the impression it was a subsidiary of White Wolf. I'd love to know more about this. Who created/owns Onyx Path?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Onyx Path is a company founded by White Wolf's old creative director Rich Thomas after a ton of layoffs at CCP/White Wolf (Which are at least partly attributable to, surprise, Ryan Dancey's reverse midas touch leading to financial issues on the video game side) meant it was basically no longer in any sort of position to publish tabletop stuff. So Onyx Path gets founded, licenses the WOD stuff back from CCP/White Wolf, and buys the rights outright to Trinity and Scion to re-release those. Basically everyone freelancing for Onyx Path is former White Wolf, and the company's run by a former White Wolf employee, but it's not CCP/White Wolf.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Right now Amazon has Frostgrave is on pre-order for $13. :toot:

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
The current Bundle of Holding has the excellent Spellbound Kingdoms, the only game I know of where being an awesome swashbuckler is pretty much the most mechanically advantageous thing you can do. The bundle would be worth getting just for that, but it also has Spears of the Dawn, of Fatal and Friends fame - a game made by Kevin Crawford, a guy who has literally never written a bad game. Yggdrasil also features and it's written by the people who made Qin: Warring States which I've heard good things about.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
There's a 13th Age bundle of the three main books and the soundtrack for a pretty decent price: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/151613/13th-Age-Starter-Kit-BUNDLE

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Just in time for a wrestling PPV, the creator of World Wide Wrestling is offering a $5 discount with code BATTLEGROUND to any of the WWW products on his online store. It's not a secret promotion from what I can tell, just an idea to hype the PPV a tiny bit while hopefully hyping a potential audience a lot.

http://ndpdesign.com/online-store/?category=World%20Wide%20Wrestling

EDIT: Ends at midnight tonight, but not sure on the time zone. Got 3.5 to 6.5 hours to get this one done.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
I have no interest in wrestling but ended up roped into a demo of this game on hangouts, and I had a really great time.

Here's the link.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

World Wide Wrestling is an amazing game because I've run it with people who've never watched wrestling in their lives, who were pulling moves off those sheets that come with the play aids, and were still pulling off stuff that was totally appropriate for a wrestling show.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DriveThru has started their XMas in July sale. There's a ton of stuff on sale, but one highlight is Ryutamma for $10.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Eoris Essence has been reduced to $15 to clear out the remaining stock in Amazon warehouses. It's a little obtuse, but for $15, it's an absolute steal.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

WWWrpg is good. So good. Buy WWWrpg.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Galaga Galaxian posted:

WWWrpg is good. So good. Buy WWWrpg.

Agreed. WWWRPG is perfect, buy WWWRPG.

If you like Dungeon World, now is a pretty good time to pick up Inverse World and Mounted Combat. My entire catalog of Dungeon World Playbooks are 25% off, including the bundles.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

shoplifter posted:

Eoris Essence has been reduced to $15 to clear out the remaining stock in Amazon warehouses. It's a little obtuse, but for $15, it's an absolute steal.

That's the one with batshit character sheet? Sold.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Yeah, the sheet is something else. If nothing else, the books are gorgeous and make a great coffee table piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Echophonic posted:

That's the one with batshit character sheet? Sold.
Ditto. I'll get a weird, pretty rpg for $15 any day.