Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

SirPhoebos posted:

Good-bye Chris, and thanks for being a part of this strange journey.

I started my re-read of The Hobbit, and a question I've had for a while has resurfaced: even though they've been corrupted by Morgoth, do Orcs still have the immortality of the Elves? This question came up because the Goblins (Orcs? Just what is the difference?) remember Orcrist and Glamding as weapons of a kingdom that's been gone for thousands of years.

It's left rather ambiguous but impression that I have is yes they do not die of age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SirPhoebos posted:

Good-bye Chris, and thanks for being a part of this strange journey.

I started my re-read of The Hobbit, and a question I've had for a while has resurfaced: even though they've been corrupted by Morgoth, do Orcs still have the immortality of the Elves? This question came up because the Goblins (Orcs? Just what is the difference?) remember Orcrist and Glamding as weapons of a kingdom that's been gone for thousands of years.

Tolkien never said anything either way. Shagrat and Gorbag have some suggestive dialogue that may indicate that they remember the Last Alliance, but that's about it. Against this, we have the significantly different physiology of orcs (on par with hobbits for height, nobody ever confuses them with elves or men) which casts some doubt on their overall similarity to elves.

Goblin means orc. It's what Tolkien used in his early writings as a name for orcs, and he abandoned it (along with calling Noldor "Gnomes and Valinor "Faerie") around the time he wrote The Hobbit. A few instances are used in LOTR, where it appears to be a slang term.

Bear in mind that most societies in Middle-Earth are literate, and the fall of Gondolin would be remembered in the same way that the Israelite siege of Jericho is today. So Orcs (especially if the Great Goblin is a Maia as has been speculated) remembering the weapons of Turgon and Ecthelion and so on isn't that unbelievable.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Effectronica posted:

Tolkien never said anything either way. Shagrat and Gorbag have some suggestive dialogue that may indicate that they remember the Last Alliance, but that's about it.

There's that and the fact that the Goblin King (who may have in fact been a Maia in disguise in which case proves nothing) knows "Biter and Beater" as he calls them by looks alone. I take it to mean that the Orcs are as they were physiologically - elves. Foolish to do so but I also take the absence of evidence that orcs die of old age as a sign as well.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Where does this Goblin King as a Maia idea come from?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

e;fb

What evidence is there that the Goblin King was more than just a really swole goblin/orc?

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

SirPhoebos posted:

e;fb

What evidence is there that the Goblin King was more than just a really swole goblin/orc?

I'll have to go back and try and find where I read it but I read that he may have been a Boldog/lesser Maia (see: not a Balrog or an Istari obviously)

Edit: found "in some published letters from the last years of Tolkien it's revealed that he thought that some Maiar had perhaps taken the form of Orcs too. He then speculates that the Great Goblin might have been a Boldog too."

here: http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24390&sid=f1a82d3ebc59e0fb5f7f8ef80fdca3bb&view=print

So apparently it's alluded to in JRR's letters.

Thunder Moose fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 11, 2015

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
The "orcs used to be elves" angle is also somewhat speculation too isn't it? Like, Tolkien never really decided and left it as a guess in his works as well

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
The Sil is pretty explicit that Orcs are corrupted elves. What he never decided on was if the Orcs were irredeemably evil. I seem to recall he didn't like that idea later in life; an irredeemably evil being.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Silmarillion is not explicit about it. It is speculation in that source.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

One of the neat parts of re-reading The Hobbit is seeing the germination of ideas that would come to fruition in LOTR. One that I'm curious about is naturally The Ring itself. Tolkein wrote that 'not even The Master who ruled over them new how Gollum found it.' I had always been under the impression that Tolkein came up with the background of the Rings of Power after the Hobbit was published, but it seems that even then he had some parts of the story formed already.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

One of the neat parts of re-reading The Hobbit is seeing the germination of ideas that would come to fruition in LOTR. One that I'm curious about is naturally The Ring itself. Tolkein wrote that 'not even The Master who ruled over them new how Gollum found it.' I had always been under the impression that Tolkein came up with the background of the Rings of Power after the Hobbit was published, but it seems that even then he had some parts of the story formed already.

Keep in mind that Tolkien rewrote and altered parts of The Hobbit to fit in with LoTR. Unless you're reading a first edition or something, that could be part of those changes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Belgian posted:

Keep in mind that Tolkien rewrote and altered parts of The Hobbit to fit in with LoTR. Unless you're reading a first edition or something, that could be part of those changes.

Yeah exactly. the Hobbit was (relatively) heavily retconned.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The Belgian posted:

euphronius posted:

Yeah exactly. the Hobbit was (relatively) heavily retconned.

I didn't know there was that much ret-conning. Where can I find an original version of The Hobbit?

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

euphronius posted:

Silmarillion is not explicit about it. It is speculation in that source.

Of the Coming of the Elves and the Captivity of Melkor posted:

But of those unhappy ones who were ensnared by Melkor little is known of a certainty. For who of the living has descended into the pits of Utumno, or has explored the darkness of the counsels of Melkor? Yet this is held true by the wise of Eressea, that all those of the Quendi who came into the hands of Melkor, ere Utumno was broken, were put there in prison, and by slow arts of cruelty were corrupted and enslaved; and thus did Melkor breed the hideous race of the Orcs in envy and mockery of the Elves, of whom they were afterwards the bitterest foes. For the Orcs had life and multiplied after the manner of the Children of Iluvatar; and naught that had life of its own, nor the semblance of life, could ever Melkor make since his rebellion in the Ainulindale before the Beginning: so say the wise."

So not explicit, but there really isn't any where else they could have come from. No one was there in Utumno but everyoe believes that is where the Orcs came from because Melkor wasn't capable of makeing them from scratch.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

SirPhoebos posted:

I didn't know there was that much ret-conning. Where can I find an original version of The Hobbit?
It's hard to find, being that it's been out of print for over 60 years. (I've occasionally seen copies on eBay for thousands of dollars.) When looking just now, however, I found this side-by-side comparison of Riddles in the Dark, highlighting in blue the differences between the two versions. From what I gather, the edits outside that chapter were basically just grammatical corrections, but I've never had the opportunity to check.

(Example: This copy, 1st UK edition, is priced at 7800 Euro. Aha, there's a 1st US edition from 1938 for just 1700 Euro.)

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
There's also renaming gnomes to elves at least.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Christopher Lee's commanding voice will continue to haunt us for generations to come even after death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qE5FSG6K0Y

RIP. :smith:

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
The Annotated Hobbit has the original Riddles in the Dark scene & makes explicit Tolkeins's changes. It also has the Quest of Erebor in an appendix.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm about 2/3rds through the Hobbit, and I got to say I'm glad that I didn't do my re-read before seeing the new movies. It would have ruined whatever enjoyment I had when I watched them in theaters.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's a hella good book, my dad isn't even into reading very much and he's adored it ever since he was a little kid.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's a hella good book, my dad isn't even into reading very much and he's adored it ever since he was a little kid.

Yup.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

sunday at work posted:

So not explicit, but there really isn't any where else they could have come from. No one was there in Utumno but everyoe believes that is where the Orcs came from because Melkor wasn't capable of makeing them from scratch.

There is no consistent answer in his works. For trolls or dragons either. If you want to believe orcs are elves that's fine, but it has nasty afterlife issues.

He could make them from scratch but he'd need to give them a part of his life, rather than their own life. Thats what I think works best.

Note that Morgoth enslaved a huge portion of the Noldor and Sindar in Beleriand and they did not turn into orcs.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The orcs could also be the offspring of lesser maiar.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Can Maiar reproduce? I thought that was restricted to elves, men, dwarfs, animals and assorted wildlife. I mean, okay, there was Melian but she needed an elf for that and I don't recall any other relationships like that.
edit: Please don't bring up fanfiction that proves me wrong.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 19, 2015

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Off the top of my head I can't think of any Maia children.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Melian had Luthien with her elf husband. Maiar can reproduce if they choose.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Eönwë was originally supposed to be the son of Manwë, but it seems Tolkien intentionally set about eliminating all references to Valar and Maiar directly reproducing sometime after he did his early work.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I've come up with a :350: theory about the Arkenstone. It can't be a Simaril since it is explicitly described as being cut, and yet it shares a lot of properties of a Simaril. But the Simarillion says that the Simarils were alive. If they're alive, then perhaps they can reproduce, and the Arkenstone is a descendant of the Simaril lost beneath the earth, not as perfect as what was created in Valinor but still bearing many of its properties.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nice Steven Universe fanfiction. :haw:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Data Graham posted:

Nice Steven Universe fanfiction. :haw:

I don't watch Steven Universe, so I have no clue what you're talking about.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

HIJK posted:

Melian had Luthien with her elf husband. Maiar can reproduce if they choose.
I got the impression that they'd need a mortal spouse - Melian seems to be sort of... tied to physicality? by Thingol - as soon as he dies she can't maintain the Girdle any more and bogs off back to Valinor.

It could just be that she didn't want to stay in Middle-Earth any more after her husband was murdered of course.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Runcible Cat posted:

I got the impression that they'd need a mortal spouse - Melian seems to be sort of... tied to physicality? by Thingol - as soon as he dies she can't maintain the Girdle any more and bogs off back to Valinor.

It could just be that she didn't want to stay in Middle-Earth any more after her husband was murdered of course.

It doesn't really matter, does it? It's still proof that the Maiar can reproduce. Luthien didn't just appear out of thin air.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think the point is that reproduction was only a trait of Ilúvatar's children (ie what's been sung about) so Morgoth would have to have snatched an elf and a Maia to start making orcs in the first place - and from there you're back to the corrupted elves story, except with half the pointy ears.
Besides, IIRC children of mixed races are supposed to be special - you only get three mixed marriages between elves and men and all shaped the world in a big way. While I like the idea of orcs with huge destinies running around and getting their heads chopped off before they can achieve the great things they're foretold to do, it's stressed that interracial - anything, really - is pretty drat rare.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 19, 2015

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Luthien is also not a Maia and is never referenced as half-Maia as other people are with mixed ancestry. So I think it's more of her mom's un-maianess that allowed it. Like how Arwen gives up her elfness.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Maiar and Valar don't normally reproduce because they don't hold on to physical bodies for long enough. Melian incarnated herself for long enough to do so, and few other Maiar do (Sauron doesn't until after the Akallabeth, possibly, the Istari might, but they are incarnated as elderly for that reason, and Balrog bodies are probably not capable of intercourse).

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Effectronica posted:

Maiar and Valar don't normally reproduce because they don't hold on to physical bodies for long enough. Melian incarnated herself for long enough to do so, and few other Maiar do (Sauron doesn't until after the Akallabeth, possibly, the Istari might, but they are incarnated as elderly for that reason, and Balrog bodies are probably not capable of intercourse).

Just don't Google that, and everything will be fine.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SirPhoebos posted:

I've come up with a :350: theory about the Arkenstone. It can't be a Simaril since it is explicitly described as being cut, and yet it shares a lot of properties of a Simaril. But the Simarillion says that the Simarils were alive. If they're alive, then perhaps they can reproduce, and the Arkenstone is a descendant of the Simaril lost beneath the earth, not as perfect as what was created in Valinor but still bearing many of its properties.
My take is it was a dwarven effort to imitate the Silmarils. It did not, of course, reach the same peak, but it was still real loving good.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

Luthien is also not a Maia and is never referenced as half-Maia as other people are with mixed ancestry. So I think it's more of her mom's un-maianess that allowed it. Like how Arwen gives up her elfness.

The silmarillion constantly refers to Luthien and offspring as having the blood line of the maiar.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just feread the Silmarillion on the beach. It's really tight how JRrt fits everything together in the First Age. The first version of Turambar is just in some forest but the Silmarillion version has all types of additional nuance due to its placement in the War of the Jewels.

The Book of Lost Tales version is more interesting though imho for all of the additional dialog from Glauurung who is just a master level troll.

Further the Silmarillion version of the fall of Gondolin is disgraceful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

The silmarillion constantly refers to Luthien and offspring as having the blood line of the maiar.
Not sure about constantly but I believe it's a big deal with Earendil since he can talk for humans, elves and Maiar that way.

Really need to reread Sil.

edit: I also seem to remember that Luthien didn't give up her elvish ancestry - she talked Mandos into giving her and Beren a second life and I think they didn't age or anything.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 19, 2015