Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
RPS has a writeup (more to come) on how the different factions handle on the strategic map: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/06/19/total-war-warhammer-campaign/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
And here's their followup, this time they're talking about the units: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/06/19/total-war-warhammer-units/

Steam tanks are in, Doom Divers are in (you can actually take direct control and fly the goblin around in first person), Arachnaroks are in, giant, battlefield destroying spells are in.

Choice quote:

quote:

The trolls were twice the size of an Orc. You saw them charge in and SWIPE and then they throw up fish over people.
:getin:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Charlz Guybon posted:

Makes sense if the rumors I heard about the 9th edition are true and they're going to explicitly tie it into the 40k universe.

Christ, this is just retarded enough to be a thing that GW thinks is a good idea.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mordja posted:

And here's their followup, this time they're talking about the units: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/06/19/total-war-warhammer-units/

Steam tanks are in, Doom Divers are in (you can actually take direct control and fly the goblin around in first person), Arachnaroks are in, giant, battlefield destroying spells are in.

Choice quote:

GOTY

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Mordja posted:

Choice quote:

Yesssss

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Mordja posted:

Choice quote:

I think that CA, like dear departed relic, just get Warhammer on a fundamental level that you just won't find with too many companies. We must treasure that. :allears:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Kaza42 posted:

It's actually a housecat that's jumped up on the table and is knocking over all of your minis. Chaos monstrosity is just how the people see it

Excuse me, but that's not very wysiwyg :colbert:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I'm... cautiously optimistic about the Empire's take on interpolitics. The fact that you _are_ Karl Franz, and you are the de jure head of the Empire has the potential to do away with a lot of the stupidity of the previous system where you had to play a balancing act because there was no way to get around the fact that you were both your own party within a faction, supposedly vying for power, and also the omniscient controller of all the resources of your faction.

They just need to shamelessly rip off of CK2 in that regard, where it the "you are the king, not the kingdom" stance allows for the type of inter-factional murdering that we all want without having to stop and balance some bullshit invisible scales while the politics AI plays an entirely different game than you.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Could someone summarize the End Times deal? Did they really blow up the world? What are they replacing it with?

Googling gave me a bunch of 40 page manifestos in intricate detail

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

^^^^^^
End Times as I understand it: Rocks fall, everyone dies except Chaos, because the writers loving love Chaos. MARY SUE VICTORY.

I haven't read the second RPS link posted, but the first one does make me wonder what the Dwarf mechanic will be. Grievances in the book being quests you have to fufill? (seems boring, but I guess gives you a reason to fight). Having to fight the monsters down below while still dealing with the overworld? Depending on the rewards you get, could lead to some unique-ish fights and work out okay.

I don't really know how they could pull something suitably Dwarfish off and still make it interesting, since their whole deal on the strategic level is being stick in the mud traditionalists.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

victrix posted:

Could someone summarize the End Times deal? Did they really blow up the world? What are they replacing it with?

Yeah, it's blown up. Who knows, probably more Warhammer Fantasy worlds where things are slightly different.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I would love the The CK2 Thing in warhammer but how would it work for orks (or skaven , man the spy system would be overloaded)

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Wonder if you're going to be Grimgor in this then, or just a customizable up and coming Warboss etc.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Hihohe posted:

I would love the The CK2 Thing in warhammer but how would it work for orks (or skaven , man the spy system would be overloaded)

Unless they have some amazing new staff that didn't work on Rome 2 / Attila I'll be skeptical as gently caress of the political system until I see it in action. I have a hard time imagining anything other than a slightly streamlined version of what they have for dynasty management right now.

Or to put it another way, if they implement something that isn't total dogshit I'll be pretty impressed.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Rakthar posted:

Unless they have some amazing new staff that didn't work on Rome 2 / Attila I'll be skeptical as gently caress of the political system until I see it in action. I have a hard time imagining anything other than a slightly streamlined version of what they have for dynasty management right now.

Or to put it another way, if they implement something that isn't total dogshit I'll be pretty impressed.

Honestly the whole "lets have a different set of mechanics for every faction" idea puts me a bit on edge just from how awful so many of the R2 campaign mechanics were. I wouldn't be so full of malaise about it if they had at least been honest and acknowledged how bad poo poo was since maybe then I'd think they tried to learn from it, but they kept up a dumb PR spin machine about the whole thing while they were trying to rebuild it, to the degree I was wondering if they were trying to get the game elected to office.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

victrix posted:

Chaos goes on one of their trademarked "gently caress the world" campaigns but this time doesn't get beat up and actually fucks the world up for realsies this time. They cast a superspell and the realm of chaos spills entirely into the material world and the world ends. A lot of the more well known characters die throughout the event (told through several books) and some are kind of just left lingering as the world ends and you're not entirely sure what happened to them

[edit] that's it, GW has not really bothered to inform us of what's next or if there is a "next"

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 19, 2015

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Zzulu posted:

Chaos goes on one of their trademarked "gently caress the world" campaigns but this time doesn't get beat up and actually fucks the world up for realsies this time. They cast a superspell and the realm of chaos spills entirely into the material world and the world ends. A lot of the more well known characters die throughout the event (told through several books) and some are kind of just left lingering as the world ends and you're not entirely sure what happened to them

[edit] that's it, GW has not really bothered to inform us of what's next or if there is a "next"

No one is left lingering, the world is flat out destroyed entirely ("Twisted by unnatural energies, it dissolved into nothingness.") as it is consumed by Chaos and then the Chaos Gods gently caress off elsewhere to destroy other realities. The only thing that survives is "the glowing essence of what had once been a man" floating in darkness. Most people assume it is Sigmar's essence/soul/power or whatever.

As for what's next, who knows? Something called "Age of Sigmar" is coming out early next month. No one knows what it actually is since GW does not provide any actual information or previews on upcoming releases until literally a week before they come out.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I know I've asked this before, but I must ask again. How are they still in business with that model? Privateer Press teases out new models and art all the loving time and gets everyone in a frenzy for their next release. How can you drive business without showing off what you have coming?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I know I've asked this before, but I must ask again. How are they still in business with that model? Privateer Press teases out new models and art all the loving time and gets everyone in a frenzy for their next release. How can you drive business without showing off what you have coming?

Something of a mix between Stockholm Syndrome and Battered Spouse Syndrome...

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

IP that would be a nerd candy multimedia empire if they sold it rather than toys.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Kanos posted:

Christ, this is just retarded enough to be a thing that GW thinks is a good idea.

This is just going back to how it used to be. The Old World was just a planet somewhere in our galaxy, and thus part of 40k.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Kanos posted:

This could be complete bullshit, but from what I heard is that basically, one of the ruinous powers gets immediate buyers remorse and recreates the planet in the eye of terror to dick around with. Astartes who were lost within the eye crash on the planet, but they've been lost for so long that they've lost their memories aside from the fact that they were made to protect mankind and become a techno-barabarianesque knightly order of the Empire.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

This could be complete bullshit, but from what I heard is that basically, one of the ruinous powers gets immediate buyers remorse and recreates the planet in the eye of terror to dick around with. Astartes who were lost within the eye crash on the planet, but they've been lost for so long that they've lost their memories aside from the fact that they were made to protect mankind and become a techno-barabarianesque knightly order of the Empire.

Astartes can't reproduce though, so they aren't going to last long...

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Skandranon posted:

Astartes can't reproduce though, so they aren't going to last long...
I guess that's where the techno in techno-barbarian comes in.
Apothacaries can probably harvest gene seed and clone organs if their battle barge crashes mostly in tact.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/06/age-of-sigmar-rumor-tidalwave.html

Looks like someone got their hands on the new box set.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Ojetor posted:

No one is left lingering, the world is flat out destroyed entirely ("Twisted by unnatural energies, it dissolved into nothingness.") as it is consumed by Chaos and then the Chaos Gods gently caress off elsewhere to destroy other realities. The only thing that survives is "the glowing essence of what had once been a man" floating in darkness. Most people assume it is Sigmar's essence/soul/power or whatever.

As for what's next, who knows? Something called "Age of Sigmar" is coming out early next month. No one knows what it actually is since GW does not provide any actual information or previews on upcoming releases until literally a week before they come out.

Well a bunch of characters kept ascending near the end there and I'm not sure what that meant and you had stuff like Sigmar wrestling with Chaosman into the warp and poo poo as the world was destroyed

[edit] that "leak" is amazingly weird

quote:

I had the chance to look thoroughly through the proper Age of Sigmar rulebook (the one that consists of three books) yesterday evening. Spent my time with the three books and ignored the novel in favour of the real interesting things. So I cannot fill in the blanks there. But maybe I have the opportunity to look at the rulebook and novel again and hopefully the age of sigmar box, too. But now I have a way clearer picture what’s coming and I’d like to share with you because I am very (!!!) excited, but I cannot provide any photos for obvious reasons. So if you don’t believe me, I don’t blame you. But please don’t attack me personally.

The game is set on world Regalia that is connected with other young realms through portals of the old ones. Young realms are realms that were populated by the old creators and were guided on similar historical paths. They were untouched by chaos but this has changed since the arrival of sigmar (as a new faith) and archaon (as an actual emissary in flesh and blood)

there is no explanation (or just a brief one so that I have missed it) how this all came to be, just a description of the history of Regalia (and to a lesser extent some neighbouring realms)

On Regalia is dominated by hundreds of human kingdoms. Fast travel is possible through a number of stone circles that allows mages to open portal from one to another and a system of streams and seas under the earth that can be navigated by ship. There were a long period of peace curated by the Exoatl (Old Ones) that watched over the world from the North and Southpole. But then suddenly new faiths arrived, lots of human tribes started to pray to Sigmar and to conquer their neighbouring kingdoms. These lands are each independent, but are united in their faith to Sigmar. The history ends with the conquering of the Worlds Edge mountains and the crowning of the first emperor. At the same time, the first agents of Chaos arrived and began to corrupt the native people. A part of the Waaghkins rebelled against the old ones in favour of new gods, the Skaven arrived the first time, and in the south and east a death cult began to spread. The world is in turmoil. There are lots of unfinished story hooks so I think the story will be continued, but that might be wishful thinking.

humans are the majority in this world and they have kingdom and tribes everywhere, most of the known earth-inspired regions like cathay are there, but they are not described as fully flegded feudal nations but constantly changing petty empires and nomadic people ruled by warlords and champions of the gods. there are two factions of humans, the worshippers of sigmar and the polytheistic rest, both are not monocultural, but have different skin colors and cultures. Women fight beside men!

The dominion of sigmar is special, because they are the only ones that are reluctant to allow any other race than humans. They have only one god and their goal is to destroy all other gods and conquer their domains – for the greater good of the world of course. This has nothing in common with the Empire of the old world, except the heraldry, griffons are still en vogue. All tribes and city states and kingdoms are independent, the only common ground is their faith, the emperor is only a warlord with the purpose to expands the dominion towards the east. There a still knightly orders, zealots, witchhunters – so they retain some of their medieval flair but there are no state troops. There is no gunpowder, except from some dwarven imports, but they are known for using large warwaggons on their trek to the east. Kislec, Estalia, Araby, city states of Bretonnia, Norse and tribes of the Reiklands are part of the dominion. There are also some enclaves scattered across the world that are connected with magic portals

The Skaven arrived on their own on Regalia and are basically the same. Haven’t spent much time on them. They have now three gods called the triumvi-rat …..

Dawikorr (dwarfs) and Inneadim (elfs) have their own realms that are connected with Regalia. The Inneadim have outposts in America.

Dawikorr are only a legend on Regalia and nobody has seen them, but there are legends that they aid whorshippers of Sigmar in peril. They deliver the dominions of Sigmar with artifacts. They live underneath the world Karak Korr and guard the Soul Mill. Dawikorr have rules, so they can be fielded.

The Soul Mill is a huge machinery that allows minor deities to feed on the power of dead spirits or let them reincarnate or serve them as guardian hosts. It was built by the surviving dwarves of the old world on command of the Incarnates on a older machinery of the old ones. The dwarfs guard the soul mill and are aligned with Sigmar after the shattering of the Incarnates, but are under siege of the skaven that have found their way on this world and managed to steal two mighty souls that formed their new gods.

Inneadim whorship the dreamers, gods that have dreamt themselves, basically the elven gods. They live on their own world and protect the dreamchild. Under Araloth they founded enclaves on Regalia in search for the archelves, lost gods of their pantheon. They are a darker take on the elves, nightmare are as much part of their culture then dreams. They use necromancy and the death god Ynnead is at the centre of their pantheon. But they still live in symbiosis with the nature. The artwork shows an elf on a feathered mount, not like a chocobo, but more like a feathered raptor. the artbook shows pictures (and rules) from all existing elf armies.

Skaven and Dawikorr are the only races that use blackpowder, the rest of Regalia is on stuck on an ancient/medieval tech level. The Exoatl use magic techno gear. There is a certain level of anachronistic gear but it is not steampunk but powered by ancient magic. The only steampunk elements are in the Skaven and to a lesser extent the neo-dwarven fluff.

Chaos has no foothold in the north but is anywhere and consists of corrupted tribes and companies from every region of the world. The barbarian theme of the nomadic tribes is more associated with khorne than with chaos as a whole. Beastmen and demons are likely part of their faction because they are described in the same chapter (both in the fluff and unit cards), but demons can be summoned by everyone, so I don’t know for sure. And beastmen have very few pictures, so that’s a bad omen.

Waaghkins: orcs, goblins and are the servants of the old gods and live in a strict caste system, orcs are the manual laborers. There is a new race called nigmos: a tall and slender priest caste. Waaghkins travel the undersea, a system of flooded caverns that connects the whole world, on longboats and do the dirty work for the Exoatl. There is an artwork of the three different kinds of greenskins (no squigs and snotlings mentioned): an ork in very strange armour, very front heavy, textured like a symmetric turtle shell, he wields is an axe with multiple disc shape blades, goblin looked like a viking but has a futuristic looking handgun, the third was taller than a ork, female, slender – probably a nigmo. But in the photos of actual miniatures only show the old orc style. There is a subfaction of waaghkins that changed allegiance from the old gods to grimgor incarnate and are much more ferocious than their cousins.

undeads, deamons and spirits, and guardian hosts are used by every faction of the game, necromancy but not summoning is common in the dominion of Sigmar. The Inneadim are famous for their use of animated constructs. These things are not a big taboo in Regalia. However the most fearsome necromancers are (obviously) employed by the Empire of Nehekhara (which is not a desolate wasteland and has no egyptian vibe but is a rich and green country and feels more babylonian to me) and their death gods. But there is no Undead faction per se anymore. Vampires are called Necrarchs now.

Guardians hosts are troops that were granted by a god from another realm or the realm of the dead. They are living beings and have free will, but were brought to Regalia on the command of a deity.

– Lizardmen are not gone. There is a race called Servants of the Exoatl that guard the pole portals on flying pyramids, but no drawings and no fluff page (other races and tribess get at least half a page). They get unit cards for their old units (which confirms that they are simply lizardmen with a new name), but instead of beautiful pages with pictures like the rest of the bunch they get a simple list in the appendix of the compendium book.

Beastmen get the same lowkey treatment, but ogres get pictures and all, but I cannot say with which pantheon/faction they align. They are mortal, so you can use them in any the guardians of regalia army, but I don’t know if this is a stop gap solution or not.

If it's true it's basically really an entirely new setting

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jun 20, 2015

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Its cool all your old units are just ghosts because we killed them.

Get repainting.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I laughed out loud when I went to GW's website and saw the price for 10 little plastic men. What in the ever loving gently caress, who is buying this poo poo.

I guess I should thank them, they mean I get to play Total Warhams!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Assuming that is legit it sounds like they've trashed the entire old setting and are building a new setting within 40k

Which makes no sense at all and I can only assume that there's a new person in charge of Fantasy over at GW who wants to 'make his mark' and thinks this was a really good idea.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The triumvi-rat :kiddo:

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
The new setting sounds like crap.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
To be fair; the Skaven stealing two God Souls to make new gods for themselves and call them the Triumvi-rat is pretty great.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Skandranon posted:

The new setting sounds like crap.

At least CA didn't get roped into making Total Warhammer for that.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
What the hell is the point of Warhammer Fantasy if there's no pike-and-shot armies, I ask of you?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Making a bad game? Pike and shot is the raddest thing.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
It doesn't even sound like orks are orky anymore.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Warhammer Fantasy is defined by mustachioed gents in floppy hats and slashed sleeves beating the poo poo out of Cthulhu, goddamnit.

And without orky orks, who is going to punch boring Chaos Lords in the dick and walk off laughing?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Zzulu posted:

The triumvi-rat :kiddo:

Literally the only good thing in that leak.

Wow, is that awful.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
well take it with a grain of salt

the leak was super detailed with tabletop rules and lore and poo poo but don't underestimate warhammer autists, that stuff could still be made up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Games Workshop has 2 problems:

a) They're losing revenue.
b) They aren't getting new players into thier games.

Instead of looking at thier situation and realizing that the reason for both is thier mind shattering pricing structure and that there are other, cheaper games to play, they've decided the issue is with the setting of thier games, and scrapped that.

You just have to look at this thread and read how people react to the background of the various factions and how the little stories they've built around certain units or characters draw people in to realize they've taken an axe to thier already sinking boat. Old players will be pissed off at the gutting of the setting while new players will wonder what happened to all the cool poo poo they heard about.

• Locked thread