Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
They still have the best price point/quality for the home owner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
Has anyone ordered from CPO outlets? I'm looking at the M12 Ratchet and they have it at $79 ($99 on Amazon) but it is a factory refurb. Should I avoid the refurbs and just get the one off of Amazon?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
$21? Not worth it. I have ordered from CPO, for a new tool and had no issues. They had the best price and shipped it fairly quickly. On something that's going to take abuse, like a ratchet, I would want the full factory warranty.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I'm looking to expand into 18v tools and Amazon has some father's day discounts for another two days until June 21:

$50 off $200 Bosch
$20 off $100 DeWalt
$20 off $100 Makita

I'm looking to get a reciprocating saw for now and a cordless impact wrench in the near future. Any recommendations on which of the 3 systems to get into? Or another brand altogether? I've had good experience with the Milwaukee M12s, but no particular loyalty to the brand, and all red tools might get confusing. Bosch has those sweet L-Boxxs but that's the only reason I'm leaning toward Bosch.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

lowcrabdiet posted:

I'm looking to expand into 18v tools and Amazon has some father's day discounts for another two days until June 21:

$50 off $200 Bosch
$20 off $100 DeWalt
$20 off $100 Makita

I'm looking to get a reciprocating saw for now and a cordless impact wrench in the near future. Any recommendations on which of the 3 systems to get into? Or another brand altogether? I've had good experience with the Milwaukee M12s, but no particular loyalty to the brand, and all red tools might get confusing. Bosch has those sweet L-Boxxs but that's the only reason I'm leaning toward Bosch.

Personally I would take Bosch Blue over Makita over DeWalt, but that does factor in that DeWalt here is just marked-up B&D crap.

Other than that I'd say take a really good look at what other stuff the brands have available that runs on the same batteries. Also it might be worth the effort to find out what the different manufacturers do now with regard to support for NiCd/NiMH battery packs, so you have some idea of what to expect when in 5 years they switch to banana peels and carrot battery packs and no longer offer Lipo .

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Lowes has the Hitchai C10FCE2 10" Single Bevel miter saw on sale this weekend for fathers day for $99.99. That's already a pretty decent price for what seems to be a super well reviewed saw. Slickdeals posted a $20 coupon link as well, bringing it down to $80. I pulled the trigger and within 30 minutes it was available for pickup.

Lowes Link:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_116704-6770...2587-_-10926682

Slickdeals link:
http://slickdeals.net/f/7926409-hitachi-10-inch-15-amp-compound-miter-saw-lowe-s-80-ac?v=1&src=SiteSearch

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Falco posted:

Lowes has the Hitchai C10FCE2 10" Single Bevel miter saw on sale this weekend for fathers day for $99.99. That's already a pretty decent price for what seems to be a super well reviewed saw. Slickdeals posted a $20 coupon link as well, bringing it down to $80. I pulled the trigger and within 30 minutes it was available for pickup.

Lowes Link:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_116704-6770...2587-_-10926682

Slickdeals link:
http://slickdeals.net/f/7926409-hitachi-10-inch-15-amp-compound-miter-saw-lowe-s-80-ac?v=1&src=SiteSearch

That's a pretty good deal, might pick one of these up and see how it does. I'm dreading the day all of my Makita chop saws break on me since nobody makes a straight miter with no bevel action anymore. The fence on this one seems fairly close though and more importantly it's a full fence without a corner clipped like most. Thanks for the heads up!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I own thia good saw.. my fil has a harbor freight sliding miter and I went home and got this becauwe I couldnt use his piece o crap.

This will be a good workhorse for daily use it just has some limitations on what it can cut.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 20, 2015

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I just snagged a Snap-On KRL761 with stainless top and hutch for my new garage. The guy had bought it used and wasn't sure of the exact age but he had the box for 10 years and used it daily at a body shop. It's in decent shape with all working drawers etc, but it does have a few scratches and dings that I would like to take care of with touch up paint. Any advice other than sand and paint? I'm horrible with paint and body stuff but this looks easy and I don't care how the bottom parts look - I just want to keep the paint from further flaking.

Other than the cosmetic issues, the quality of this thing is really impressive. Before buying it, I went to Sears, Lowes, and HD and felt boxes and I felt like I could rip off some of the drawers with my bare hands. The Milwaukee boxes at Home Depot feel especially trashy. With this box I feel like I could stand on the shelves and not break them, and they have minimal horizontal wobble. Just to do it I threw every wrench and gripping tool I own into the top drawer and it didn't flinch when opening and closing.

Pics:

rally fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 21, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

rally posted:

I just snagged a Snap-On KRL761 with stainless top and hutch for my new garage.

That's a really nice tool box. About 3x the size of mine I think.

In my continuing quest to fill my hobby room with ridiculously expensive specialty tools, I just brought this baby home:

I now look forward to spending dozens of hours that I could be productively working on my current project, learning how to care for and use a fancy new tool instead.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I spotted this over at Reddit, the worst wrenches ever:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Obligatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbdc24OF1QU

:thejoke:

Actually I think those are pretty fun kitchen knives, albeit impractical as gently caress.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Squibbles posted:

I just discovered a new youtube channel that some of you guys might like.

He's the only person I've ever seen that actually does teardown reviews of tools. Completely takes them apart and checks out where the likely areas of failure are and see where the manufacturers cheaped out and where they did some nice designing. He's also pretty funny.

Powerfist (similar to harbour freight) reciprocating saw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LLZyUe7-I8

Dewalt grinder review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWH5bfpivSU

He's got a bunch more including a makita hypoid saw and some milwaukee drills I think.

I remember when Makita came out with that saw, like 1989 because I was looking for a worm-drive and bought probably the first one in the state to build a monster deck. I still have the saw.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Looking for a 1.5 hp dust collector to hook up to my new Epilog. Will probably be running it at night in the summer because of the heat. Anyone have any recommendations that wont wake up the neighborhood? Or a way to mitigate the sound so I can run it without people complaining?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Related: anyone have feelings on shop vacs in general (brands, features, etc)? I figure it might be something where the basic HD Special works just fine, but I was wondering if there's anything particular I should keep in mind that might be worth spending a bit more for. Primary role is going to be hooking it to my saw for dust collection (and subsequent cleanup), yard debris, and pulling the last few inches of water out of the bottom of the hot tub.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 5, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Hubis posted:

Related: anyone have feelings on shop vacs in general (brands, features, etc)? I figure it might be something where the basic HD Special works just fine, but I was wondering if there's anything particular I should keep in mind that might be worth spending a bit more for. Primary role is going to be hooking it to my saw for dust collection (and subsequent cleanup), yard debris, and pulling the last few inches of water out of the bottom of the hot tub.

Along the same lines, does anyone know of a relatively quiet shop-vac? I am going to set up dust collection in my hobby room, but it's inside my house and some of the run-times would be quite long (when I'm working on the lathe or mill), and it would be nice if the vac didn't deafen me over time.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Rigid shop vacs with scroll noise reduction are pretty quiet—even quieter than most household vacuums I've used.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Hubis posted:

I've had two Shop-Vac brand and they both burned up prematurely. I'll never buy another. I know a guy who owns 18 or 19 Craftsman vacs, the $99 one, and he swears by them.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Rigid I have with SNR is about $99 too, and really I think the quietness alone is worth giving them a shot. I'm not a super heavy user though so I can't necessarily attest to longevity. I've used it for dust collection, cleaning up the garage, and filled it completely with water several times when my basement was leaking and I performed well in all said situations.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

I've had two Shop-Vac brand and they both burned up prematurely. I'll never buy another. I know a guy who owns 18 or 19 Craftsman vacs, the $99 one, and he swears by them.

Good to hear. I just saw a shopvac at Costco today and held back on buying it. They do have a fantastic return policy, though... how were they aside from the premature death?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

powderific posted:

The Rigid I have with SNR is about $99 too, and really I think the quietness alone is worth giving them a shot. I'm not a super heavy user though so I can't necessarily attest to longevity. I've used it for dust collection, cleaning up the garage, and filled it completely with water several times when my basement was leaking and I performed well in all said situations.

I just got home with the $99 Ridgid with the SNR 'quiet' feature. For a 14 gallon heavy duty (5.5hp) shop vac, it's not very loud at all. I would say that compared to my Dyson upright it is close to the same, possibly slightly quieter, but it's a lower tone, so probably easier on the ears overall. They also sell an 'exhaust muffler' for $13 which I also picked up. Two thumbs down. The only difference with the muffler on or off is the tone. It's slightly higher pitched with the muffler on than with it off. It should probably be called a diffuser rather than a muffler, as instead of the exhaust shooting straight out, it's forced to leave in all directions, which means less velocity. So the only reason I can think of to use the muffler is to diffuse the exhaust to keep it from blowing really hard against something.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I have no useful shop-vac advice, but I must inflict a shop-vac related song on you all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4sOfO8Ei1g

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I bought a craftsman 12 gallon XSP shop vac and I love it. Regular price is $89 I think. WOOD mag had a review of all the under $100 shop vacs and that craftsman has the most suctionpower. More than the 16 gallon even.

Edit: it is not quiet by any means.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

wormil posted:

Doesn't Shop-Vac make craftsman?

Anyway this isn't high end, and I'd go rigid next time, but I have to say good things about this which I've had for 5 years:

I've used this for 100's of hours as my only dust collection shop vac on everything from wood, fiberglass dust and slimy boat bilge water. I've dropped it 8' onto concrete. It's held up great.

The small footprint is a plus for me with a small shop, though it makes it tippy.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

stubblyhead posted:

... how were they aside from the premature death?

They suck

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I'm about to drop some money on the HF dust collector and I was going to get a ~14 gallon shop vac for the small tools. It's good to know the Ridgid is worth it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

The Locator posted:

Along the same lines, does anyone know of a relatively quiet shop-vac? I am going to set up dust collection in my hobby room, but it's inside my house and some of the run-times would be quite long (when I'm working on the lathe or mill), and it would be nice if the vac didn't deafen me over time.

Worth noting that no matter how good your muffling is, some hearing protection for long sessions is probably still a good idea. Also, protip: if air/breeze/wind regularly blows on one ear and not the other while you work, wear hearing protection. Most newspaper delivery lifers go deaf in the left ear, most mail carriers in the right ear.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

They suck

Well yes I mean it is a vacuum and all

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Thanks for all the feedback. After searching online, I saw the Ridgid SNR consistently compared pretty favorably (and with great surprise) to some fancy woodworker vacs (Feit Turbo) so I went ahead and pulled the trigger.

I ended up going with the 14 Gal: http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-14-gal-Professional-Wet-Dry-Vacuum-WD1450/100081216
The 16 Gal also apparently has the SNR tech, but as far as I can tell none of the others do so if you're looking for a shop-vac and the 'quiet' part is a big appeal, those are the two you want to consider. The others might perform just fine otherwise, though.

I'd also heard similar things about the 'muffler' (although I guess it IS useful if you're vacuuming in an area with a lot of other particulate and don't want to just blow it all around with your exhaust). I'll probably pick up some of the bags as well, as they apparently do a great job keeping fine dust down and extend the life of your filters somewhat.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 6, 2015

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Hubis posted:

Thanks for all the feedback. After searching online, I saw the Ridgid SNR consistently compared pretty favorably (and with great surprise) to some fancy woodworker vacs (Feit Turbo) so I went ahead and pulled the trigger.

I ended up going with the 14 Gal: http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-14-gal-Professional-Wet-Dry-Vacuum-WD1450/100081216
The 16 Gal also apparently has the SNR tech, but as far as I can tell none of the others do so if you're looking for a shop-vac and the 'quiet' part is a big appeal, those are the two you want to consider. The others might perform just fine otherwise, though.

I'd also heard similar things about the 'muffler' (although I guess it IS useful if you're vacuuming in an area with a lot of other particulate and don't want to just blow it all around with your exhaust). I'll probably pick up some of the bags as well, as they apparently do a great job keeping fine dust down and extend the life of your filters somewhat.

I have that exact vacuum and it's loving amazing. I use it as a dust collector for a CNC router, and it's a beast.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I have that exact vacuum and it's loving amazing. I use it as a dust collector for a CNC router, and it's a beast.

Yeah I am very pleased with it. The only downside is I realized I'm going to have to make the miter saw cabinet I'm building a bit taller to accommodate it :shobon:

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat
I bought a Milwaukee M12 Fuel Hackzall to do some small demo work. It's been great for drywall, durock, ceramic tile, but it takes forever to get through dimensional lumber. If I get the 12-amp corded Sawzall, how much of a difference should I expect? I tried the Hackzall because all the reviews suggested that the Fuel model was pretty close in performance to the M18.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Are you using the right blade? Mine's the non-Fuel M12 and we use it for trimming trees and 2x4s. Thing's like a goddamn lightsaber.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Splizwarf posted:

Are you using the right blade? Mine's the non-Fuel M12 and we use it for trimming trees and 2x4s. Thing's like a goddamn lightsaber.

I've been using a combination blade since I was cutting through a variety of materials. It claims to be usable on wood. Should I be using a wood-only blade?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

10-8 posted:

I've been using a combination blade since I was cutting through a variety of materials. It claims to be usable on wood. Should I be using a wood-only blade?

Yes.

Those are compromise blades.

Also, be aware blades dull quite quickly, especially when it's not specifically designed for the material you are cutting.

A different tool won't fix this.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
Does the hackzall have an orbital motion or no? If not make sure youre moving the tool around while cutting so the sawdust clears from the cut. Otherwise you're repeatedly sawing the sawdust.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

10-8 posted:

Absolutely buy the right blade. The wood blades are drastically faster for wood. It takes me about 10 seconds to cut a 2x4 with the 18V hackzall.

I'll occasionally use the combo blade on wood if I want a slightly smoother cut.

Splizwarf posted:

Right. I particularly love this for backyard projects like firewood holders, canoe stands etc. When you're out there with the hackzall, impact driver and a pile of 2x4's it's almost like playing with legos again it's so easy to build things (McFeely's screws too). The hackzall isn't as fast as a circular but it's remarkably easy to grab a 2x4 in one hand and bang out a cut.

dyne posted:

Does the hackzall have an orbital motion or no? If not make sure youre moving the tool around while cutting so the sawdust clears from the cut. Otherwise you're repeatedly sawing the sawdust.

No it's not orbital.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Speaking of light sabers I picked up the (new?) 7-1/2" M18 circular saw because I finally had to rip some plywood and the hackzall wasnt going to cut it for quality... Very pleased.

It may just be me comparing it to the lovely B&D corded circular saw that I inherited which I was replacing, but the thing feels light, sturdy, and hugely powerful. The old saw had a sheet-metal shoe that I sadly discovered was slightly bent so I was beveling all my cuts by like 5' :cripes: There is no chance of that with the solid cast hardware on the Milwaukee for sure.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I grabbed an old makita mitre saw, and I'm not that happy with the accuracy. Does anyone have any experience with improving the accuracy of the angle. I had a poke around and cleaned out the years of accumulated dust and grime in the mechanism and that improved it a bit, but it's still not good enough.

I have a feeling that the mechanism itself is just not good enough. It's a thin piece of metal with a rectangular dent in it, and there is a corresponding divot at the important angles, and when you pivot the saw, they are supposed to click together. Just seems flimsy to me, especially when I compare it to my mitre box that has a retractable metal dowel that fits exactly into a circular receptacle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
Why are disk sanders so god damned expensive?

I have a craftsman combo 4" disk + 36" belt sander but it's just not cutting it anymore. I popped onto CL this morning thinking I could find an upgrade but everyone is asking $200-300 for anything over an 8" disk.