Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

elf help book posted:

I hope it has a funny name that people here can complain about for a decade.

Pii U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

raditts posted:

Yeah, it's not that ridiculous when there are people in this very thread crying about DLC on existing Wii U games when overall they've probably handled DLC vs. base content the best by far out of any console.

It's kind of depressing at the E3 conferences where they announce Call of Duty DLC 5 months before the game is even out (and the crowd applauds)

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Astro7x posted:

I have very rarely used backwards compatibility on a system. I'd gladly go without it in the NX in exchange for having modern architecture that 3rd parties can easily port to.

I like the idea of backwards compatibility, but I never get rid of my older consoles and games so really there's no reason for me to care that much about it.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

raditts posted:

Yeah, it's not that ridiculous when there are people in this very thread crying about DLC on existing Wii U games when overall they've probably handled DLC vs. base content the best by far out of any console.

I've already seen people elsewhere on the net unironically say that the full cost for Wooly World and Mario Maker is over a thousand dollars each because of those optional amiibo skins.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Watrick posted:

Cool thanks.

Yeah, I think Nintendo should be the standard. You get full games when you buy them, and the DLC usually is the equivalent of a full game itself for a good price. Except for Hyrule Warriors, that more like 100 games. Although I think the Smash characters are a bit on the expensive side.

Smash characters are cheaper than a lot of other fighting game characters

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Watrick posted:

Although I think the Smash characters are a bit on the expensive side.

I gave them my money just to support them making more characters.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

jivjov posted:

Smash characters are cheaper than a lot of other fighting game characters

Oh really? I've never purchased a fighting game character, so that's good to know. I was going based on what their other DLC costs. I'm still going to get it though.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

Viewtiful Jew posted:

He probably thought there would be more people trying to calculate how much worth a DLC character has in comparison to the vanilla package you get than there has been to date and was trying to avoid the game becoming another example of "You've basically bought the game twice over to get all the extra content" you find some releases on every platform have. I think those people will grow larger in number as we get more DLC for the game but most people seem to be enjoying the post release Smash stuff overall.

you mean like this beaut?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

fruitpunch posted:

Oh man I haven't seen that yet. I'm just imagining there's someone that has to take heart medication every time they announce they're updating with more amiibo costume functionality to the game every few months. Like the person HAS to have a complete game no matter how inconsequential this content is and then when they announce a Wii Fit Trainer outfit it's like, this is it! This is the big one!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Astro7x posted:

I have very rarely used backwards compatibility on a system. I'd gladly go without it in the NX in exchange for having modern architecture that 3rd parties can easily port to.

Alternatively, I use back-wards compatibility all the time and not having it is definitely a dealbreaker. It's the main reason I haven't bought any of the current-gen consoles besides the Wii U. It's especially nice if you didn't own previous consoles. Say you got a Wii U but never owned a Wii. Now you have two systems worth of games you can play on just one machine.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Yeah, the main reason I haven't bought a PS4 is the lack of backwards compatibility. I have a bunch of PS2 games I can't use lying around so I'd rather buy a PS2. Even a backwards-compatible PS3 would be cheaper, and then I could play PS3 games too! With the PS4 I could only play PS4 games and that kind of sucks.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Watrick posted:

Oh really? I've never purchased a fighting game character, so that's good to know. I was going based on what their other DLC costs. I'm still going to get it though.

Yeah, character DLC tends to hover right around $5 for fighting games. And with Smash, $4 gets you one system, $5 gets you the character twice over. (Ryu is the outlier, since his stage is bundled with him).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Oh man I haven't seen that yet. I'm just imagining there's someone that has to take heart medication every time they announce they're updating with more amiibo costume functionality to the game every few months. Like the person HAS to have a complete game no matter how inconsequential this content is and then when they announce a Wii Fit Trainer outfit it's like, this is it! This is the big one!

There was a lot of this in the xbox 360's heyday, where people would be absolutely furious that a game would come out with DLC that added new achievements, and they just had to buy the DLC or else they could never truly "complete" the game and get worthless gamer numbers.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Silver Falcon posted:

Alternatively, I use back-wards compatibility all the time and not having it is definitely a dealbreaker. It's the main reason I haven't bought any of the current-gen consoles besides the Wii U. It's especially nice if you didn't own previous consoles. Say you got a Wii U but never owned a Wii. Now you have two systems worth of games you can play on just one machine.

I love it especially with Nintendont adding GC too. I'll be really surprised if Nintendo doesn't include Wii U compatibility considering how many people missed it.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

fruitpunch posted:

Wow, I thought DOA 5 was costly with DLC and that not even counting the DLC Fighters.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jarogue posted:

Wow, I thought DOA 5 was costly with DLC and that not even counting the DLC Fighters.

The amiibo stuff is literally just racing suits for miis (there are like 2 good ones) and people that play as miis are human garbage anyways

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Help Im Alive posted:

The amiibo stuff is literally just racing suits for miis (there are like 2 good ones) and people that play as miis are human garbage anyways

i made one named Krillin and he is the strongest human on earth

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Most amiibo content is just a little character-specific doodad rather than substantial content, so the idea that you're obligated to buy them all to get the full experience is silly beyond belief.

I'm imagining these people buying every ringtone available for their phone.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

I mean, sure, a DVD player is only 30 quid but if you factor in the cost of every dvd ever made then Dvd players are really expensive

Edit: i can't fathom why someone wouldn't just pick Mario or Yoshi over dressing their Mii in a Mario or Yoshi suit???

forpush fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 19, 2015

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

That pretty much DOA 5 DLC, nothing but $400 worth of costumes.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

I wish they would make the miiverse sketch game from game and wario its own free app. It's really fun but the community is p much dead since it's stuck inside a $30 game

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Smash dlc is still overpriced, especially compared to other Nintendo dlc.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tender Bender posted:

Smash dlc is still overpriced, especially compared to other Nintendo dlc.

Not really...75 cents for a costume and 4 bucks for an entire fighter is cheap as hell. And then there's the insane discount for buying the 2-platform bundle.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Jarogue posted:

That pretty much DOA 5 DLC, nothing but $400 worth of costumes.

Odd thing is from looking it up a lot of that costume DLC doesn't even have much costume to give.

Some of it is just sea-shells on a string.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

Say what you will about DOA games but they know their market

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Odd thing is from looking it up a lot of that costume DLC doesn't even have much costume to give.

Some of it is just sea-shells on a string.

yeah it's DoA

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

jivjov posted:

Not really...75 cents for a costume and 4 bucks for an entire fighter is cheap as hell. And then there's the insane discount for buying the 2-platform bundle.

That's not cheap as hell? $12 in Mario Kart gets you 16 extra courses when the base game had 32. $20 in Hyrule Warriors gets you five new movesets (three characters and two weapons), a bunch of costumes, plus three huge maps, each the length of the original game's adventure map, and two other challenge modes. $20 in Smash gets you four characters and two stages, when the base game had 50 characters and 40 stages.

Whether it's worth it is up to you but it's far from a great deal, and nowhere near the value of the other games that rightfully got Nintendo a reputation for having great dlc.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 19, 2015

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tender Bender posted:

That's not cheap as hell? $12 in Mario Kart gets you 16 extra courses when the base game had 32. $20 in Hyrule Warriors gets you five new movesets (three characters and two weapons), a bunch of costumes, plus three huge maps, each the length of the original game's adventure map, and two other challenge modes. $20 in Smash gets you four characters and two stages, when the base game had 50 characters and 40 stages.

Whether it's worth it is up to you but it's far from a great deal, and nowhere near the value of the other games that rightfully got Nintendo a reputation for having great dlc.

So if smash had launched with 100 characters, the value of each DLC character would be cut in half? The percentage seems like a terrible way to measure things, since it's pretty arbitrary.

Each smash fighter has like 20 moves (like 50 for Ryu) that have to interact properly with 50+ other characters. Each mario kart has the same controls, three stats on sliders, and is a car.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

For me I think that the fighter prices are a bit expensive, but then that's coming from someone who got tired of the game after a few months. I knew this would happen when I bought it, and it factored into my purchasing decisions, so it's not like I didn't get my money's worth out of it, but it means that I'm not gonna pay for new characters unless one pops up that makes me want to actually fire the game up again to fool around with 'em.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Trent posted:

So if smash had launched with 100 characters, the value of each DLC character would be cut in half? The percentage seems like a terrible way to measure things, since it's pretty arbitrary.

Each smash fighter has like 20 moves (like 50 for Ryu) that have to interact properly with 50+ other characters. Each mario kart has the same controls, three stats on sliders, and is a car.

Exactly this. Measuring the value of DLC by comparing the number of fighters to the number that were in the base game is dumb as hell.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Trent posted:

Okay, remove the numbers I threw in for comparison. And I didn't even mention characters in Mario Kart, since yeah they're basically costumes.

$12 in Mario Kart gets you 16 extra courses. $20 in Hyrule Warriors gets you five new movesets (three characters and two weapons), a bunch of costumes, plus three huge maps, each filled with dozens of missions, and two other challenge modes. $20 in Smash gets you four characters and two stages.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tender Bender posted:

Okay, remove the numbers I threw in for comparison. And I didn't even mention characters in Mario Kart, since yeah they're basically costumes.

$12 in Mario Kart gets you 16 extra courses. $20 in Hyrule Warriors gets you five new movesets (three characters and two weapons), a bunch of costumes, plus three huge maps, each filled with dozens of missions, and two other challenge modes. $20 in Smash gets you four characters and two stages.

Tender Bender posted:

All of which are excellent examples of fantastic value for money, yes.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Don't forget to factor in the music added for each new stage, which includes a few brand new remixes among returning tracks. Itemize everything.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

jivjov posted:

All of which are excellent examples of fantastic value for money, yes.

You're really saying the smash dlc is similar value to the other two?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I say both jivjov and tender bender should be murdered. I will pay $5 for it and it will be a good value for my money.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Please do not trigger jivjov by saying anything negative about Nintendo.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

codenameFANGIO posted:

I say both jivjov and tender bender should be murdered. I will pay $5 for it and it will be a good value for my money.

This is bullshit, they were both already going to die, and now you're saying I need to pay extra?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

It is very important to defend the business practices of giant corporations with every fiber of your being. God forbid someone disagrees with them on the Internet.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tender Bender posted:

You're really saying the smash dlc is similar value to the other two?

I am indeed. For a fighting game character, $4 is an amazing price. If anything, the other games' DLC is underpriced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Lemming posted:

This is bullshit, they were both already going to die, and now you're saying I need to pay extra?

Yeah, early unlock DLC is bullshit, I agree.

• Locked thread