Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Insurrectionist posted:

I'll just wait and see if the regular version goes on daily deal then.

Someone on the Steam forums claims to get 60 fps out of a GT 630M on medium settings (I forgot that Scholar actually has pretty detailed ones), so you might be in luck. I'd still advise waiting for the daily and being prepared to use the new refund policy if things don't work well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Someone on the Steam forums claims to get 60 fps out of a GT 630M on medium settings (I forgot that Scholar actually has pretty detailed ones), so you might be in luck. I'd still advise waiting for the daily and being prepared to use the new refund policy if things don't work well.

Oh, that would be convenient. The rest of my rig should be good to go at least so if others have managed decent performance from similar cards it looks promising. I'll look into it more while waiting for a sale.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So in terms of Belfry... is that little alcove with the red phantom and the Falchion the "dead end" of that whole area?

(a message mentions an illusory wall but I can't activate it... therefore trolls.)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Feenix posted:

So in terms of Belfry... is that little alcove with the red phantom and the Falchion the "dead end" of that whole area?

(a message mentions an illusory wall but I can't activate it... therefore trolls.)

If it's past the boss then yeah that's about it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

RBA Starblade posted:

If it's past the boss then yeah that's about it.

Thanks!

Ugh I have Upgrader's Block. I have all these weapons... and I keep thinking I am going to encounter better ones soon so I shouldn't bother wasting my Titanite, etc... but I don't want to get to the end-game and then upgrade and then just be done.

Totally a stupid question, but any obvious choices to sink into at this point? I +2'd the Craftsman's Hammer because it's Endurance and Damage works for me, but I'm not a fan of the range. That's my one complaint.

[edit] The invasion mechanic would be nicer if people couldn't hit me with their fists and such from like 6 feet away. Latency, obviously, but it really puts me at a disadvantage.

I'm convinced in SOTFS Illusory Walls can be blocked by a well-placed message. There's one just past the Lost Sinner boss, right? In the little chest room before the Primal Bonfire? The textures don't line up... but all I can trigger is a message. And no Illusory Wall has ever allowed me a button prompt so toggling wouldn't be something you can apparently do?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 18, 2015

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Feenix posted:

Thanks!

Ugh I have Upgrader's Block. I have all these weapons... and I keep thinking I am going to encounter better ones soon so I shouldn't bother wasting my Titanite, etc... but I don't want to get to the end-game and then upgrade and then just be done.

Totally a stupid question, but any obvious choices to sink into at this point? I +2'd the Craftsman's Hammer because it's Endurance and Damage works for me, but I'm not a fan of the range. That's my one complaint.

[edit] The invasion mechanic would be nicer if people couldn't hit me with their fists and such from like 6 feet away. Latency, obviously, but it really puts me at a disadvantage.

I'm convinced in SOTFS Illusory Walls can be blocked by a well-placed message. There's one just past the Lost Sinner boss, right? In the little chest room before the Primal Bonfire? The textures don't line up... but all I can trigger is a message. And no Illusory Wall has ever allowed me a button prompt so toggling wouldn't be something you can apparently do?

There is no illusory wall there, and messages cannot block doors or illusory walls.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

flowinprose posted:

There is no illusory wall there, and messages cannot block doors or illusory walls.

Ok. Thanks. I guess it's just a geometry/texturing fuckup.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

If I remember right, the Smelter Demon in Iron King has slightly different timings specifically to gently caress with people's heads
If that's true, the difference is negligible. I fought BlueSmelter on auto-pilot and didn't notice anything different about the timing.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

TheHoosier posted:

I'm actually going through DaS2+Exp for the very first time, and this part was funny as hell for me. I was all "Hell yeah i'll protect your big rear end bell" and put on the ring. Keep in mind I didn't really read about anything going into DaS2 and covenants aren't really A Thing in BB. Imagine my surprise as I constantly get whisked away to dome some rear end in a top hat alongside my pygmy bell bros. It's incredible.

I'm now a Proud Knight of the Rat King. I haven't been called to duty yet, but since I believe it's an area you have to go through, it should only be a matter of time.

This game is loving awesome, but holy gently caress i'm missing so much content.

The Rat King works a little differently from the bell covenant. In addition to wearing the ring, you have to actually be inside the covenant area (probably the Grave of Saints, but there's another you'll find later).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Another quirk of the rat team is that it triggers the invasion timer for both people, so if you get called in as a grey phantom it won't happen again for a few minutes, and if you call someone into your world as a rat then you can't do it again for awhile. I haven't tried this but you might be able to get rid of the timer by quitting to the main menu and reloading your save.

Illusory walls seem to take precedence over over things that use the same button, so messages can't block you from opening them them. In fact dropping items on them is the only way I've found to show hosts where illusory walls are as a phantom, because everyone just tries to hit the wall if you point at it while this game makes you hit X to open it. So you have to trick people into pressing X next to the wall with an item. Really lame change IMO.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The Rat King works a little differently from the bell covenant. In addition to wearing the ring, you have to actually be inside the covenant area (probably the Grave of Saints, but there's another you'll find later).

Also, in the Rat Covenant, you wear the ring and it pulls people into YOUR world instead of you invading someone else's. Also members of the Rat Covenant are immune to this effect themselves (you will not be pulled into the world of another covenant member).

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Ratbro is the best PvP covenant in the game but the only areas where it works are optional areas that most people don't visit anyway. It's not even like Belfry Luna where there's something worth getting at the end.

Dark Souls 3 needs to have something like the ratbro covenant except the abduction zone is the entire game world (and take out the whole allied enemies thing as well obv). Unfortunately they surely won't because nobody ever bothers with anything ratbro related in DS2 (because nobody cares about those areas, not because the mechanic is unsound).

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Mr Dog posted:

Dark Souls 3 needs to have something like the ratbro covenant except the abduction zone is the entire game world (and take out the whole allied enemies thing as well obv). Unfortunately they surely won't because nobody ever bothers with anything ratbro related in DS2 (because nobody cares about those areas, not because the mechanic is unsound).

That sounds a bit silly, frankly. The concept was fine as it is, I just wish the ratbro areas were much more customizable and not set permanently after putting in the Pharros lockstones. Also I think similar to the covenant of champions, the enemies in the ratbro zones in your own game should not despawn no matter how many times they are killed (you can't hit them any longer anyway, so what difference does it make?).

If there was much more customizable variability and unpredictability in the ratbro areas they could be insanely fun (for actually both the ratbro covenant and the people pulled into their games).

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I want Gravelording again. It is such a beautiful thing, to never use that kind of mechanic again would be such a shame.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The other big problem with Ratbroing was how insanely unfair the main area for it was, the odds are were so unfairly stacked against you you may as well go limp and let them do whatever. It doesn't exactly make for thrilling gameplay

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The other big problem with Ratbroing was how insanely unfair the main area for it was, the odds are were so unfairly stacked against you you may as well go limp and let them do whatever. It doesn't exactly make for thrilling gameplay

I really would've liked it better if there was a separate "obstacle course" part of the area that the host player could not enter during the invasion, and then the phantom (if they make it through the maze alive) has to face the host player as the "boss" at the end.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Some sort of Physical Challenge.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Crag of Aggression.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Grave of Saints was easy to run through.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

The Crag of Aggression.

I was all set to make a joke about how players would never be able to assemble the three Silver Monkey Souls before the host killed them but then I remembered that was a different show :saddowns:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Paracelsus posted:

There's much more ratbro action at Pharros IIRC, and it's also much harder for the "prey" because of the waist-high water slowing them down.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Currently in Huntsman's Copse in SOFTS, and I just gotta say I'm so loving this game.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

Grave of Saints was fine, but really short and easy to clear. The big main event in Doors of Pharos was a ludicrous gank squad where the host barely has to lift a finger to get a free win

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

When I did my gameshow in the doors of pharros I opened all the enemy doors to at least make people earn their otherwise free stuff since I wasn't attacking them, and pretty frequently they would just get killed by the enemies without me having to lift a finger. I got a pretty good distance toward rank 3 without even trying.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The more I think about Doors of Pharos' design, the more I'm convinced that the original plan for the Rat Covenant was that the host can't directly intervene. It just doesn't make any sense otherwise, the area is so heavily stacked in the host's favour that the trespasser has almost no chance to win under the current conditions.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

Mr Dog posted:

Ratbro is the best PvP covenant in the game but the only areas where it works are optional areas that most people don't visit anyway. It's not even like Belfry Luna where there's something worth getting at the end.

I'd be fine with this really. The setup of the rat king covenant is great for reversing the penalty and reward structure of invasions. Normally the invader takes nearly zero risk if he loses, where the victim will have to redo the area and restore humanity on a death. With the rat king the victim loses nothing but a few minutes of their time.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
oh wow, Rat covenant is actually bumping at ~1SM. You walk into one of the areas when the cooldown expires and the server instantly abducts someone for you.

Kind of surprising given that I never bother with either area myself.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Insurrectionist posted:

I'll just wait and see if the regular version goes on daily deal then.

Just buy SOTFS and refund it if it doesn't run well.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
So I just bought SOTFS for PC after playing a lot of the original DS2 on PS3. Is there are a resource for graphics mods somewhere or anything else I should know? Is weapon buffing as ridiculous as it was? Is everything still weak against blunts *~*~grEAtclUB cLuB*~*~

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?
Both ratbro areas have murder ladders that are pretty much a guaranteed kill for the host. Doors of pharros was my favorite tho, so many people hosed up the timing of those saw blades on the final bridge

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

dat one portagee posted:

Both ratbro areas have murder ladders that are pretty much a guaranteed kill for the host. Doors of pharros was my favorite tho, so many people hosed up the timing of those saw blades on the final bridge

I think my favorite ratbro pvp situation was when I was summoned in doors of pharros and made it almost to the final room. The host was waiting for me, and we did the usual pvp dodge rolls and such around each other. Unfortunately, the host forgot that my win condition wasn't killing him, it was getting past him. I baited him into circling around me, attacked once to get him to back off, and then took off at a dead run for the door. It was a fairly amusing victory.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What tier of Titanite (if any?) becomes limited/finite/extremely hard to get? I'd like to know at what point I should start being shrewd about what I upgrade, etc...

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Feenix posted:

What tier of Titanite (if any?) becomes limited/finite/extremely hard to get? I'd like to know at what point I should start being shrewd about what I upgrade, etc...

Titanite chunks. You can get a lot if you join the bells but otherwise it's always the limiting factor for how many weapons you can upgrade to +10. After you kill the last boss you can buy infinite though.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Feenix posted:

Chunks are hard if you don't like PvP, but other than that the only hard-to-get ones are Dragon Bones/Twinkling. Even slabs are very common. This game drowns you in upgrade materials.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
While still annoying, infinite chunks can be farmed in doors of Pharros. The Gyrm warriors have no spawn limit. As a bonus you get to kill ratbros while you farm.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Does anyone want to help me with the Demon of Song? I'm stuck in Shrine of Amana, level 129. Name is Sildelever

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Level doesen't matter. Summoning connection ranges is based on soul memory.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Iretep posted:

Level doesen't matter. Summoning connection ranges is based on soul memory.

Oh that's not good :( Souls level is 1753485. Does using the black crystal dephantomizer mark me as bad or something for banishing Felicia the Brave? And is there any other places I can complete before shrine of amana?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Unsummoning people doesent mark you as bad. There is plenty of optional stuff to do. You can do the DLCs for example. I can help you with demon of song if you're using scholar of the first sin.
Edit: No problem.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Yeah it's the scholar version, I'm in front of the fog wall now.

e: Thanks man! The frog wins creepiest boss in the game award.

Selklubber fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jun 20, 2015