Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

The show is actually, honestly quite good with great villains, funny moments, etc. Again the only thing I have to harp on is the religious connotations get ridiculous towards the end. Also keep in mind this is like on FOX so by bare chest I mean bare back and a :haw: reaction shot towards the camera. Hahaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Also, it makes great use of Johnny Cash.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Phylodox posted:

It was probably the second best use of Johnny Cash I've seen on television.

This being the best. :vince:

(That link has Person of Interest spoilers)

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Phylodox posted:

I'm even more sold.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

WarLocke posted:

This is a combination of two things:

1) Cameron likes checks
2) Someone gave him a check to say that

He probably doesn't give a gently caress about Terminator anymore, he made two kickass movies of it and then every one since has poo poo the bed.
Hopefully I'm not just being naive here, but does James Cameron need a paycheck that badly that he'd endorse a movie that he didn't like?? I mean yeah - never underestimate the power of selling out, but I can't believe that he would need to do such a thing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah I would think if he had zero opinion on it no one's going to have a check big enough to make him suddenly have one. Like what, they're going to blow the budget on Terminator 6 and 7 just to get him say Genisys is good?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
James Cameron is really interested in cameras and submarines. Inventing new kinds of cameras and submarines is hideously expensive, so yes, I believe that James Cameron will say anything for a big enough check. "Oh yes Termanator 8 The Terminatoring is literally the greatest movie ever I James Cameron the creator of Terminator am saying this and I would say this even if I wasn't getting the check that will buy my next submarine for saying this." Like that famous Michael Caine quote but with a submarine instead of a beach house.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

WarLocke posted:

People joke about Summer Glau playing a robot nerd girl in all her roles, but this is the one role where it actually fits the character perfectly. Robo-Glau is both sympathetic while also being creepy and more than a little scary.

And IIRC the show lamppons the typical trope of 'robot learns the meaning of love' when it spells out later in the show that the relationship between John and Robo-Glau is entirely one-sided, she's a drat robot she doesn't love him, but she's been manipulating/molding him into the man he needs to be in the future in ways his mother can't

Not necessarily. Early in the show, though, it's definitely that - but Cameron's a pretty different being towards the end of the series.

The show is generally very good though and I'm a big fan of it. It has issues because of the big writer's strike that happened and, in general, its pacing is off. The first season is much too fast - virtually every episode could be made into two parts and it'd be much better. But then the second season is way too slow and has an absurdly bad episode that is literally 'it was all a dream'.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sasquatch! posted:

Hopefully I'm not just being naive here, but does James Cameron need a paycheck that badly that he'd endorse a movie that he didn't like?? I mean yeah - never underestimate the power of selling out, but I can't believe that he would need to do such a thing.
Cameron openly praised the first AvP movie, and his praise was really out of left field, years after both AvP movies came out, and not linked in any way to the release of anything else AvP related. I'm willing to guess he was being genuine with AvP (especially given how hard he publicly slammed it leading up to its release), and I'm thinking he's being genuine about the new Terminator movie, too.

Whether his opinion has any merit is a different topic altogether.

Phylodox posted:

I have no problem with the ending except that it was an ending. I'd much rather have seen two or three more seasons of autistic robots and Lena Headey stink eye than yet another lovely sequel that doesn't do anything new or interesting.
I'm of the opinion that this is the first Terminator sequel to try something new and interesting, by openly loving with the timeline Star Trek reboot/BTTF2 style.

Say what you will about the casting, acting, etc, the movie's premise is a pretty novel idea for a Terminator story.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 20, 2015

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Again, Cameron was a big fan of T3 when it came out and then decided he hated it just recently.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

As I said pages ago, it's most likely professional courtesy. He used to slam moves when they were still in the public eye when he was younger, he matured some (and understood that running off too much at the mouth can affect business and careers), and decided to be nice about movies initially, and revisit with his actual opinion later. It's like blasting a business peer in public for not being as awesome as you - it's not really something you do. Spielberg pretty much does the same thing.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Darko posted:

As I said pages ago, it's most likely professional courtesy. He used to slam moves when they were still in the public eye when he was younger, he matured some (and understood that running off too much at the mouth can affect business and careers), and decided to be nice about movies initially, and revisit with his actual opinion later. It's like blasting a business peer in public for not being as awesome as you - it's not really something you do. Spielberg pretty much does the same thing.
To be fair, as I mentioned he did the opposite with AvP.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
TSCC brings up the notion that every Skynet robot has "Kill John Connor" in its base programming. Which I irrationally love.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
That trailer ran in front of Jurassic World for me last night where it's just an interview with Cameron talking about how Genisys is the real T3, honest.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Firstborn posted:

That trailer ran in front of Jurassic World for me last night where it's just an interview with Cameron talking about how Genisys is the real T3, honest.

Seriously? How awful is this movie that they have to resort to that?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Xenomrph posted:

To be fair, as I mentioned he did the opposite with AvP.

Hey, can I go a little off topic here to ask you something? I've been meaning to ask you but I keep missing you in topics. Back in the day, Nintendo Power had a contest where you could win a life-size Xenomorph from Alien 3 (I assume a model and not a living alien) and I was determined to win that goddamn alien. I went to four of my friends and paid them five bucks apiece for their copies of Nintendo Power so I could enter more times and have a better shot at winning the alien. Of course, in a world where you exist I never had a chance.

Statistically there's a 92% chance that you either won that alien or bought it off the guy who did. What's the quality like, and can you post a picture of it?

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Network Pesci posted:

James Cameron is really interested in cameras and submarines. Inventing new kinds of cameras and submarines is hideously expensive, so yes, I believe that James Cameron will say anything for a big enough check. "Oh yes Termanator 8 The Terminatoring is literally the greatest movie ever I James Cameron the creator of Terminator am saying this and I would say this even if I wasn't getting the check that will buy my next submarine for saying this." Like that famous Michael Caine quote but with a submarine instead of a beach house.
I hate that this sounds like I'm defending James Cameron because I really don't personally care either way, but I'd like to believe that he wouldn't damage whatever credibility he has by sticking his neck out for someone else's project if he thought it sucked. Even from a practical standpoint, how big of a check do you think the studio would be willing to write him in order for him to do that?? I dunno...you could be right, but I hope you're wrong because I'd LIKE for this to be a good movie, but I guess we'll see.

Timby posted:

Again, Cameron was a big fan of T3 when it came out and then decided he hated it just recently.
I thought I remembered that his "endorsement" of T3 was tepid at best, but maybe I'm remembering wrong. Was he really a "big fan"?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah he said Terminator 3 is a fine movie and he enjoyed it. Which I'm sure he did, it's pretty goofy, has some great effects, and the ending is a cool surprise and works, hardly a scandalous opinion one way or the other at the time of its release.

Cameron was down on and disinterested in Salvation even before it came out according to even McG himself before the movie came out. So we know he's honest.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 20, 2015

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Network Pesci posted:

Hey, can I go a little off topic here to ask you something? I've been meaning to ask you but I keep missing you in topics. Back in the day, Nintendo Power had a contest where you could win a life-size Xenomorph from Alien 3 (I assume a model and not a living alien) and I was determined to win that goddamn alien. I went to four of my friends and paid them five bucks apiece for their copies of Nintendo Power so I could enter more times and have a better shot at winning the alien. Of course, in a world where you exist I never had a chance.

Statistically there's a 92% chance that you either won that alien or bought it off the guy who did. What's the quality like, and can you post a picture of it?
I have no idea what you're talking about. :ninja:

No really I don't, I was never a big Nintendo Power reader so I never knew about that contest.
Although most contests like that have stipulations against entering multiple times, so you probably screwed yourself over by buying your friends' magazines.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

your evil twin posted:

There are rumours that Genisys may do the exact same thing. (Which is supported by the trailer showing them somehow ending up in modern times rather than staying in the 80s.) I'm curious whether there will be any reference to Sarah getting cancer.

According to the leaks/rumors they go to the future (present?) and use the MRI to find and cure her cancer which is also how they kill the Skynet-John, by using the MRI magnets to draw the nano-whatevers out of him. That at least is true as you can see it in the trailer.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
With TSCC I was always sort of hoping the time-travel problems would eventually have escalated to alternate future versions of Skynet sending back T-888s with missions and goals that were inconsistent with one another.

Sort of like some random 888 encounters another 888 and informs them that John and Sarah Connor are close by. Other 888 is completely unaware of who those people are. Could lead to some stuff where Terminators start seeing other Terminators as threats to their respective Skynet.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

JediTalentAgent posted:

With TSCC I was always sort of hoping the time-travel problems would eventually have escalated to alternate future versions of Skynet sending back T-888s with missions and goals that were inconsistent with one another.

Sort of like some random 888 encounters another 888 and informs them that John and Sarah Connor are close by. Other 888 is completely unaware of who those people are. Could lead to some stuff where Terminators start seeing other Terminators as threats to their respective Skynet.

It does kind of happen, with Cromartie and another Terminator in one of the episodes.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

It does kind of happen, with Cromartie and another Terminator in one of the episodes.

Also with Derek and his girlfriend or whatever, when they realize they come from two distinctly different futures.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

JediTalentAgent posted:

This is what I want the movies to become. Just all out multi timeline super war.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Milky Moor posted:

WarLocke posted:

Also with Derek and his girlfriend or whatever, when they realize they come from two distinctly different futures.

Yeah, i was sort of hoping that stuff like this could have been explored more in the series as some interesting deviations from time to time to the main storyline.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Slasherfan posted:

Seriously? How awful is this movie that they have to resort to that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LqgdNVTcRA
This was the video they ran, properly in the trailers and after the lights went down.

E: I think they cut about 30 seconds off the end.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 22, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Firstborn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LqgdNVTcRA
This was the video they ran, properly in the trailers and after the lights went down.

E: I think they cut about 30 seconds off the end.

I can't decide if I like the 'twist' with the 'give me your clothes' bit or if it's incredible self-referential cheese.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One thing I will say, I like the idea of pushing the Arnold Terminator even further. In Terminator 2, he was a kind of father figure to John. Here, he's pretty much Sarah Conner's father/mentor.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Burkion posted:

One thing I will say, I like the idea of pushing the Arnold Terminator even further. In Terminator 2, he was a kind of father figure to John. Here, he's pretty much Sarah Conner's father/mentor.

I maintain the idea that Arnold will make the movie fun. I will probably see it because honestly I've seen every Arnold movie. No regrets.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Firstborn posted:

I maintain the idea that Arnold will make the movie fun. I will probably see it because honestly I've seen every Arnold movie. No regrets.

Amen.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It just looks so bad. I don't mean it looks like a bad-quality movie, I mean it's such a visually bland film. The future war looks like it was filmed in an industrial park. And it doesn't help that they've spoiled what seems to be every twist in the film. This might have been a lot more fun and mind-fucky if they hadn't done that.

But I will say (spoiler regarding poo poo from the trailers) holy cats does that Young Arnold Terminator look great. Absolutely no CGI detectable at all. That is 1984 Arnold in the movie, crazy good work. After the weirdness of Young Jeff Bridges from Tron Legacy I was ready for the worst.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I don't think the young Arnold was thaaaat bad looking in Salvation. :shrug: This one does look great, though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Firstborn posted:

I don't think the young Arnold was thaaaat bad looking in Salvation. :shrug: This one does look great, though.

He was literally my favorite thing in that movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mine was the hyper ineptly acted and filmed scene where they have a Skynet drone or whatever on an operating table and are testing if the frequency works or not. Well, one of my many "favorite" parts of the movie.

"WHAT ARE YOOOOUUUUUU!!!

i dunno"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Burkion posted:

The thing is, I always took Arnold's role as Connor's father as pure projection by Connor. Arnold learns how to sufficiently fake stuff to make it work, but you see early on how much Connor is bonding to the Terminator even though the Terminator does nothing to justify that, he's just a slightly-animate object. In that context it's really weird and lame to see that apparently Terminator can become a real boy after all, and then grow old and be Sarah Conner's dad.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Arnold learns how to sufficiently fake stuff to make it work,

You could argue that, as an actor, Arnold figured out how to do this as far back as Terminator 1.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

You could argue that, as an actor, Arnold figured out how to do this as far back as Terminator 1.

I'd say Hercules in New York, but yeah. I just didn't want to type The Terminator all the time.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Grendels Dad posted:

The thing is, I always took Arnold's role as Connor's father as pure projection by Connor. Arnold learns how to sufficiently fake stuff to make it work, but you see early on how much Connor is bonding to the Terminator even though the Terminator does nothing to justify that, he's just a slightly-animate object. In that context it's really weird and lame to see that apparently Terminator can become a real boy after all, and then grow old and be Sarah Conner's dad.

Except, of course, if you see the deleted scene of them fixing the Terminator's memory chip so that he can learn. Terminators are sent out into the field with that turned off because it's a pretty lovely thing for a super death machine to have, the ability to learn why something is wrong, even if they cannot express it.

After that point is when, in T2, Arnie starts asking questions, instead of just getting orders and obeying. It's the entire reason for the big climax at the end, the "I know now why you cry, but it is something I can never do."

I don't think a Terminator could ever truly FEEL, but they can learn and relate. Which makes sense, it makes them better able to fit in, which is the point of them. The problem is, if they're so inclined, it can also make them sympathize.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Burkion posted:

Except, of course, if you see the deleted scene of them fixing the Terminator's memory chip so that he can learn. Terminators are sent out into the field with that turned off because it's a pretty lovely thing for a super death machine to have, the ability to learn why something is wrong, even if they cannot express it.

After that point is when, in T2, Arnie starts asking questions, instead of just getting orders and obeying. It's the entire reason for the big climax at the end, the "I know now why you cry, but it is something I can never do."

I don't think a Terminator could ever truly FEEL, but they can learn and relate. Which makes sense, it makes them better able to fit in, which is the point of them. The problem is, if they're so inclined, it can also make them sympathize.

See, I didn't like that scene. I liked the idea that The Terminator remained unfeeling the entire movie, even at the end. That way it's all on Sarah and John, their humanity allows them to see The Terminator as human even though he isn't. The chip-scene states clearly that, nope, give him enough time and he becomes basically human. That kind of bores me. I find projection more interesting than AI.

And the learning chip is kind of dumb anyway because how much does your Terminator need to learn about post-nuclear war society to fit in? Everybody is coughing at each other and looking miserable, no need for learning how to act fancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Grendels Dad posted:

I'd say Hercules in New York, but yeah. I just didn't want to type The Terminator all the time.

Everyone should watch Stay Hungry. Both for Arnold as the lead fiddle player in a blue grass band and Sally Field running around topless.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 22, 2015

• Locked thread