Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Kyrosiris posted:

Well yeah, you had three great jobs to compensate for the one busta. :v:

Really, it is a good party makeup because monk is decently powerful in the early game until you get your other jobs. Not like thief. Thief is the worst. A chaos run with double thieves is pure torture and made me want to curl up and cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ladderface
Jul 30, 2005

Mmmm-HHHMMMmmm...
Yeah, even playing for the first time it was easy to notice the classes gaining strength and falling off over the course of the game.
Obviously this year I chose to do chaos berserker risk.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Kyrosiris posted:

Well yeah, you had three great jobs to compensate for the one busta. :v:

Dancer? ehehhe

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Able to equip Chicken Knife and get up to a 50% chance of a 4x multiplier on it. Also Ribbons. Dancer is amazing.

And if they weren't great enough on their own, they can pass Equip Ribbon to other classes (though Rapid Fire probably beats it out for overall usefulness). And you can even work around Monk, give him !Time to pass on Time Mage's nice MP and Magic and let Monk become a second Time Mage with Monk's high HP. Seriously, you had a drat solid setup there.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 19, 2015

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bufuman posted:

Able to equip Chicken Knife and get up to a 50% chance of a 4x multiplier on it. Also Ribbons. Dancer is amazing.

at being garbage

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

dancer's not the worst class in the game but it's probably my least favorite

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fungah! posted:

I mean, that's totally legitimate; I honestly dislike Dragoon more than its stats/capabilities deserves.

But you can't disagree that, when it comes to things they can do and pass over to other classes, Dancer's a hell of a lot better than Monk. :v:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Fungah! posted:

What, really? I would've thought everyone had Geomancer as their least favorite. It's basically useless in battle once !Gaia starts to drop off like mid-way through the game, and there's only two places (three if you count the speed trap and other pits in Ronka Ruins) where their field abilities come into play, one of which is optional.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bufuman posted:

What, really? I would've thought everyone had Geomancer as their least favorite. It's basically useless in battle once !Gaia starts to drop off like mid-way through the game, and there's only two places (three if you count the speed trap and other pits in Ronka Ruins) where their field abilities come into play, one of which is optional.

Actually, since the Speed Trap is already visible, Light Step doesn't even apply to it! :eng101:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Kyrosiris posted:

I mean, that's totally legitimate; I honestly dislike Dragoon more than its stats/capabilities deserves.

*looks at the solo omnithread*
:smith:

Kyrosiris posted:

Actually, since the Speed Trap is already visible, Light Step doesn't even apply to it! :eng101:

Oh, right, I forgot that one starts out already open. So I guess that leaves... one pit in that treasure room? Seriously, Geomancer. :(

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I will freely admit that having their abilities for Exdeath's Castle is a HUGE boon, though. Those lava floors are brutal, especially with no healing.

But then again, Time Mage also gets around them with Float, so :v:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

But you can't disagree that, when it comes to things they can do and pass over to other classes, Dancer's a hell of a lot better than Monk. :v:

yeah i mean, i can't argue that. monk's IMO the second worst class in the game after geomancer, mayyyybe tied with red mage without a real mage for back up (red mage with a real mage is dumb poo poo broken obviously) but I think red mage wins because of rods and status effects.

i do think that a lot of people undervalue dragoon, it's a good chassis class and it's got heavy armor in a game where heavy armor is extremely good. spears are kind of eh and most of its abilities are pointless but it's got solid numbers.

Bufuman posted:

i've never had to play with geomancer yet, but my first team was white mage/red mage/bard/dancer. having to rely on sword dance for real damage until dualcast holy came online is just punishingly lovely.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

i've never had to play with geomancer yet, but my first team was white mage/red mage/bard/dancer. having to rely on sword dance for real damage until dualcast holy came online is just punishingly lovely.

Cripes, yeah, when you put it like that I can see why you'd hate Dancer. Holy hell. :stare:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Fungah! posted:

It's also not as good as people say, Sword Dance is row-based and a front-row Dancer is going to get oneshot over and over by dudes like Exdeath unless you keep defensive buffs on them or overlevel

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Cripes, yeah, when you put it like that I can see why you'd hate Dancer. Holy hell. :stare:

yeah that run sucked but man was the last hour cathartic

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Oh dear. I just realized that Chaos theoretically might give us Mime as a job :stonk:

...Wait.

Chaos might give us Mime :allears:

...Wait.

Chaos Berserkerrisk might give us Mime but end with them babysitting 2 berserkers and one actual class. :stonklol:

Imagine Gogo sitting there with two Umaros and Mog going "Really? I have this to work with?"

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 19, 2015

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Archenteron posted:

Oh dear. I just realized that Chaos theoretically might give us Mime as a job :stonk:

...Wait.

Chaos might give us Mime :allears:

Or one (or more!) of the Advance jobs, which IIRC means getting all 12 legendary weapons. And some of us have it combined with Berserker Risk. Eep. :ohdear:

EDIT: Come to think of it, getting Mime on Berserker Risk would suck too. Though I guess you could always kill off Berserker for Gogo.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Bufuman posted:

Or one (or more!) of the Advance jobs, which IIRC means getting all 12 legendary weapons. And some of us have it combined with Berserker Risk. Eep. :ohdear:

I think that isn't going to happen since that would enforce a definitive version of the game to play, so that knife is dodged. The edit I made to my previous post, however, covers berserker risk nicely.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Traveler being an option for chaos could be fun too, introducing a metagame where you change jobs more than normal so that whoever ends up with it at the end has 1 or more mastered

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Monk/Time Mage/Ranger/Dancer should synergize really well even if the individual classes aren't the best. Monk makes for an easy early game and fixes the Dancer's HP problem and the Ranger's relatively low strength. Time Mage (besides being a good job on it's own) can cast Haste which means the monk can equip Kaiser Knuckles and still get double turns, Rapidfire needs no introduction, and without the HP problem Dancers are pretty drat strong, if still not terribly reliable.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Nihilarian posted:

Time Mage (besides being a good job on it's own) can cast Haste which means the monk can equip Kaiser Knuckles and still get double turns

Not unless you want them getting paralyzed/slept/stopped/dispelled you can't. There's a reason why the Hermes Sandals are good and it's only partially related to the always: haste.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Thought I'd get myself all ready to go, forgetting that it takes like 20 minutes to get your jobs at the wind shrine. I want this to start!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Do we even know what Chaos actually entails yet, or is it still just speculation based on a Berserker Risk comment and "jobs [from FF5] will be assigned"?

I think the chaos is us.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

So when does the Fiesta actually end?

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!
It runs through the end of August.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

blakelmenakle posted:

It runs through the end of August.

Specifically, midnight eastern on September 1st.

E: Pretty sure RK will still process anything he received before that time, though, even if it takes a day or so after Sept. 1.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

Ready to go!

FFV is on sale too, good timing!

Edit: posted that from the awful app and I didn't realise how huge it was, sorry!

forpush fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 20, 2015

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
GBA, iOS, or Android version? Any advantages?

I haven't done the challenge in a couple years, and there's nothing in the OP about which version is the better choice.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
GBA version is my personal favourite.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Most likely the GBA version. Given the above picture, the iOS/Android versions have "remastered" (and often goofy/messy) sprites. Additionally, several of the more useful bugs/oversights have been fixed/nerfed, and the boss scripting has had some changes. Plus only the GBA version allows you to fastforward/frameskip (assuming you were using an emulator :filez:), so I'd personally recommend the GBA version.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I'll go GBA then. I actually purchased the physical game about 15 years ago, so I've got it and a working GBA. The last time I did the challenge I ran 2 teams at once, one on the GB and one in an emulator. No frame skip sucked. Might just do a rom this year.

Thanks for the feedback.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Dug out the old gba sp but can't find the charger anywhere. Good thing Amazon will have one here before Sunday!

Registered for chaos berserker risk but only see berserker risk in the confirmation tweet. Is that normal? So hype for fiesta

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kyoujin posted:

Dug out the old gba sp but can't find the charger anywhere. Good thing Amazon will have one here before Sunday!

Registered for chaos berserker risk but only see berserker risk in the confirmation tweet. Is that normal? So hype for fiesta

If you look for your twitter name on the players list it should say what you're signed up for.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
The IOS version has auto battle, which is very handy. It is, however, very ugly, not as ugly as the FFVI port on IOS thankfully.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

Asiina posted:

If you look for your twitter name on the players list it should say what you're signed up for.

Awesome! Thanks.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

fruitpunch posted:

The IOS version has auto battle, which is very handy. It is, however, very ugly, not as ugly as the FFVI port on IOS thankfully.

That's mostly a matter of opinion, too. I'm one of the few that actually likes the art style somewhat. Or maybe it's just that I like having a fresh look after having only ever played the PSX and GBA versions. Probably a bit of both.

I will willingly admit that they did a really lovely job on the area map tiles though. You can easily divider lines practically everywhere.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I chose to try Classic Run this year, since I don't think I've done that before. I also wanted some more restrictions on my run.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

I chose to try Classic Run this year, since I don't think I've done that before. I also wanted some more restrictions on my run.

Unless you're a fan of tedium and completely missing the point, do not do natural runs.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kyrosiris posted:

Unless you're a fan of tedium and completely missing the point, do not do natural runs.

From what I can tell, the main difference between natural runs and non-natural runs is that you can't swap your classes around freely/people get stuck in Freelancer for way long. That...does sound a bit annoying, though. Hmmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

In a natural run, every character gets one job, with no access to secondary abilities. The entire point of the job system is that you can use secondary abilities. Natural sucks.

• Locked thread