Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaly Haylie

om nom nom posted:

Kim chi is good I think the first time I had it was on a hot dog in my youth so idk try it on a dog or burg you'll probably like it. Or just eat it with 2 or 3 meals a day you'll acquire a taste with it cause your body will know it is giving you nutrition and is not, in fact, bad

Unforunately this is not an option, as my diet is centered around creating the right sort of microbial environment in your guts or something like that. I've got a strict "schedule" and it includes kimchi but once a week. I'll keep it in mind though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Psychosis

Lizard Wizard posted:

Unforunately this is not an option, as my diet is centered around creating the right sort of microbial environment in your guts or something like that. I've got a strict "schedule" and it includes kimchi but once a week. I'll keep it in mind though!

You're such a weirdo.

Miss Psychosis

It's your microbes Marty! You've gotta go back! Back... To the asian food market!

Scaly Haylie

Miss Psychosis posted:

You're such a weirdo.

Just following my diet. Sorry if that scares and confuses you.

joke_explainer

what's like your average meals for say 7 days? i'm curious. did you opt for this diet yourself or did your SO force it on you?

Miss Psychosis

Look.. You're my Boyfriend now. And that means your microbes have to be top notch.

om nom nom

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Also I made some tacos today. No pics unfortunately, I can't really be taking pictures of all the steps at work and remain productive

Meat: tri tip smoked in hickory for 3 hours. Braised in stock and red wine with oregano garlic shallots dried puya peppers black pepper cumin orange zest and lime zest. Strained, pulled apart meat, reduced braising liquid by half, recombind, reduced by another quarter or so in a sauce pot,salted, then held warm for service. Never salt before reducing heavily.

Condiments-
Mango salsa: 6 mangos brunoise, 4 Roma tomatos concasse brunoise, 3 jalapenos brunoise, 1 roasted red pepper brunoise, some minced shallot, lime zest, lemon juice, toasted coriander, salt and white pepper.

Crispy cabbage: cabbage quartered and shaved super thin on a slicer (a mandolin works but can be frustrating if the cabbage is larger than the mandolin is wide), blanched, shocked, wrung out with a kitchen towel, and fried in clarified butter. If you do this make sure your cabbage is wrung as thoroughly as possible. Preheat your butter and put in small amounts at a time, jostle the cabbage apart with tongs or something ( I use a meat fork). Every once in a while stir the cabbage on the outside into the middle(the outside is hotter and will cook faster). It will take 5-10 minutes or so to get crispy but after that about 12 seconds to burn. But if you get it out of the pan and onto a plate with a paper towel in that window after its crispy and before it browns you wind up with this gorgeous nest of crunchy buttery goodness that's kind of popcorny in flavor and texture. If I ever do this at home or have a slow day at work I'll take pics of this process cause this is kind of a tough one to do "right"

And then topped with your traditional street taco minced white onion and cilantro.

joke_explainer

Miss Psychosis posted:

Look.. You're my Boyfriend now. And that means your microbes have to be top notch.

lol

joke_explainer

om nom nom posted:

And then topped with your traditional street taco minced white onion and cilantro.

Daamn, sounds so good. Nice slow cooked smoked & braised tri-tip tacos... mmm. Do you generally make your own tortillas?

joke_explainer fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 20, 2015

om nom nom

Lizard Wizard posted:

How strict is this diet, is there any room for creativity or do you have specific meals planned for every day? It might be fun to come up with some meals within a set of rigid guidelines. At least it would be good practice ;)

om nom nom

joke_explainer posted:

Daamn, sounds so good. Nice slow cooked smoked & braised tri-tip tacos... mmm. Do you generally make your own tortillas?

Nah but we at least buy them from a small local company, they're pretty good,not Mexican grandma good, but pretty good

Scaly Haylie

joke_explainer posted:

what's like your average meals for say 7 days? i'm curious. did you opt for this diet yourself or did your SO force it on you?

first off, uh, you know i live at home right? the thing with my SO is long-distance (for now anyway)

everyone in the house needs to lose weight so we're all doing it, and it's gotta be all of us so that no one cheats.

as for the content, veg and yogurt feature prominently as well as fish. fermented foods are also a thing but not yet apparently? water or tea to drink, red wine optional with dinner. i don't really know everything about it and i think a copypasta of the weekly regimen we have printed out woud be boring, so i'll just start posting about my meals starting tomorrow.

om nom nom posted:

How strict is this diet, is there any room for creativity or do you have specific meals planned for every day? It might be fun to come up with some meals within a set of rigid guidelines. At least it would be good practice ;)

specific meals

joke_explainer

who in your household picked this diet as the right one for you all? I think diet choice is an interesting topic for the food thread I guess. I feel like a lot of times people limit themselves in diet thinking that tasty food can't possibly be healthy, but there's lots of tasty things that don't destroy diets (and portion control is more important than any diet for weight loss)

Scaly Haylie

oh it was definitely my mom's decision

Miss Psychosis

Lizard Wizard posted:

oh it was definitely my mom's decision

hahahah

Miss Psychosis

My baby... He needs better microbes!

Scaly Haylie

Miss Psychosis posted:

you got anything to add or are you just following me, weirdo?

fuck. marry. t-rex

If you really want to lose weight, caloric intake is 9000x more important than anything else, as long as you don't eat such a limited palette that you develop a chronic nutrient deficiency.

There are online calculators that will ballpark safe daily intake values for your current mass that yield a slimming trend, etc

Like from 200 lbs to 180 you could eat 2.6k cal/day* [made up value], and 180 to 150 2.3k or w.e

fuck. marry. t-rex

Building muscle tone also helps a lot by increasing your basal metabolism- even something as simple as doing as many sit ups for 1 minute then push ups for 1 minute every day will yield huge results compared to complete sedentaryness

fuck. marry. t-rex

You'll also get this cool break through moment after a month or two where instead of doing like 3 push ups you can do 70 and you're like holy crap muscle growth is like magic

Miss Psychosis

Lizard Wizard posted:

you got anything to add or are you just following me, weirdo?

[SCENE: Darkened alleyway]

Lizard Wizard: H-hey?? Are you following me???

Miss Psychosis: No. I'm just following [Pulls out smartphone and snaps a quick pic of Lizard Wizard] the laughs.

Scaly Haylie

Miss Psychosis posted:

[SCENE: Darkened alleyway]

Lizard Wizard: H-hey?? Are you following me???

Miss Psychosis: No. I'm just following [Pulls out smartphone and snaps a quick pic of Lizard Wizard] the laughs.

You're such a weirdo.

fuck. marry. t-rex

Anyway if I was [in a situation where I did not have full control over my diet], and I was dubious of its efficacy, I would secretly track and maintain my own personal intake in a real diet seperately, on top of whatever they were expecting

Scaly Haylie

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

Anyway if I was [in a situation where I did not have full control over my diet], and I was dubious of its efficacy, I would secretly track and maintain my own personal intake in a real diet seperately, on top of whatever they were expecting

i'll just roll with it

joke_explainer

So what's an example of the diet? What did you eat Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday this week? And what's Sat / Sun? Is there a cheat day? Which day's the kimchi day? Three meals I'm assuming?

landy.

om nom nom posted:

Also I made some tacos today. No pics unfortunately, I can't really be taking pictures of all the steps at work and remain productive

Meat: tri tip smoked in hickory for 3 hours. Braised in stock and red wine with oregano garlic shallots dried puya peppers black pepper cumin orange zest and lime zest. Strained, pulled apart meat, reduced braising liquid by half, recombind, reduced by another quarter or so in a sauce pot,salted, then held warm for service. Never salt before reducing heavily.

Condiments-
Mango salsa: 6 mangos brunoise, 4 Roma tomatos concasse brunoise, 3 jalapenos brunoise, 1 roasted red pepper brunoise, some minced shallot, lime zest, lemon juice, toasted coriander, salt and white pepper.

Crispy cabbage: cabbage quartered and shaved super thin on a slicer (a mandolin works but can be frustrating if the cabbage is larger than the mandolin is wide), blanched, shocked, wrung out with a kitchen towel, and fried in clarified butter. If you do this make sure your cabbage is wrung as thoroughly as possible. Preheat your butter and put in small amounts at a time, jostle the cabbage apart with tongs or something ( I use a meat fork). Every once in a while stir the cabbage on the outside into the middle(the outside is hotter and will cook faster). It will take 5-10 minutes or so to get crispy but after that about 12 seconds to burn. But if you get it out of the pan and onto a plate with a paper towel in that window after its crispy and before it browns you wind up with this gorgeous nest of crunchy buttery goodness that's kind of popcorny in flavor and texture. If I ever do this at home or have a slow day at work I'll take pics of this process cause this is kind of a tough one to do "right"

what flavor do zests add to a dish? ive used them for sodas, but i don't really know what they did.

landy.

Miss Psychosis posted:

lol

Scaly Haylie

joke_explainer posted:

So what's an example of the diet? What did you eat Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday this week? And what's Sat / Sun?

refer to my previous posts please and thank you.

joke_explainer posted:

Is there a cheat day?

no

joke_explainer posted:

Which day's the kimchi day?

thursday if this first week is any indication

joke_explainer posted:

Three meals I'm assuming?

yes

om nom nom

landy. posted:

what flavor do zests add to a dish? ive used them for sodas, but i don't really know what they did.

It tastes like the citrus without acidity or liquid. I wanted the salsa to taste of lime so I used a good amount of lime zest and just enough lemon juice to get a little tingle on your tongue, while avoiding turning the salsa soupy and the bitterness of lime juice.

joke_explainer

Lizard Wizard posted:

refer to my previous posts please and thank you.
no
thursday if this first week is any indication
yes

Wait so you're just eating yogurt and like carrots for 3 meals a day? what kind of volume?

joke_explainer

Zests are amazing. You get a lot of the essential oils of the fruit from zesting the rind. Also essential in cocktails often

Scaly Haylie

we've been over this

Scaly Haylie

just hold your horses and wait until tomorrow joke_explainer

Scaly Haylie

thank you for your interest, though.

joke_explainer

Oh okay. Sorry I must have missed something a while back. Anyway, I guess onwards with the other stuff. I ordered a TS8000 Bernzomatic propane torch, under Home Depot's 'welding' section oddly, though its barely hot enough to silver braze. Anyway, it's the torch recommended by Searzall for their hand-held broiler @ 2600 degrees or so. Going to try out searing with that + very hot cast iron for a quicker and better sear for sous vide stuff.

landy.

om nom nom posted:

It tastes like the citrus without acidity or liquid. I wanted the salsa to taste of lime so I used a good amount of lime zest and just enough lemon juice to get a little tingle on your tongue, while avoiding turning the salsa soupy and the bitterness of lime juice.

joke_explainer posted:

Zests are amazing. You get a lot of the essential oils of the fruit from zesting the rind. Also essential in cocktails often

That's great. It'll be really useful to keep in mind once i start making soups and chilis

landy.
why is lizwiz planning an lp of his diet?

Scaly Haylie

actually, it's called a let's eat

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bo-Pepper posted:

So what is this thread for? It's for effortposting about food and talking about food and cooking. You can also talk about how food turns into poop that exits from our butts though it wouldn't be in the spirit of the conversation. I mean do whatever. It's BYOB.

My dog audibly tooted as I was reading this part.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am he

hi osiris is dead