Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Fintilgin posted:

I'm not talking about the chance of dying in battle.

My understanding is that for every 'tick' of time that passes, your monarch rolls a die to see if he dies a natural death. Generals do the same. If you turn you monarch into a general then every tick he rolls the dice to see if he dies from natural causes while being a monarch and then rolls the dice AGAIN to see if he dies from natural causes while being a general. Which means when your 0-1-0 comes to the throne you can immediately make him a general and there's an increased (doubled?) chance of him dying from natural causes even if you aren't at war and have no intention of going to war! (That's gamey) Similarly, if you turn a good king into a general and have him survive the war you fight, then for all the rest of the years he lives he continues to roll two 'death dice' every tick even though the war has been over, you've been at peace for decades, and he's sitting around the palace getting fat.

It's certainly possible I've misunderstood how the mechanic works, but I thought this was a confirmed (and presumably low priority to fix) quirk of the system.

Your monarch has an age related chance to die every single month. Making him a general and assigning him to command the army doubles the rate of this, yes. One check is the chance to die of old age and natural causes. The other check is whether he suffers a malady for being in the field.

It's not 'gamey' to have an optimal choice in some circumstances. It's 'optimal' to make any lovely ruler a general because you don't care about them dying and you get a free general in the process. Similarly it's 'optimal' to not make any good ruler a general because you do care about them dying and losing the monarch points.

This creates a problem though when you have a king thats a crappy general and he needs to be in command. Do you use him instead of the decent general you have? You are now trading combat effectiveness for an increased chance to cycle your ruler. Similarly, if you are starved for generals to command your armies (3 stacks that need generals but only have 1), it's very tempting to make your king a general. If he's any good though you'll have to weigh the increased chances of them dying in battle. The downside for this is equivalent to the upside for a lovely ruler - if you have a good king and he's a badass general, you risk losing him a lot faster if you use him for both.

quote:

Except the games succession system is really underwhelming (using nice language because Wiz and Johan read this thread). It is super gamey to use the whole "a general is more likely to die" mechanics to try to kill a bad monarch and it is dumb that I cant turn a good ruler into a general because that means an RNG not related to combat he is more likely to die.

I don't understand. Why? It creates tradeoffs and decisions both ways. You have a way to "speed up" the exit of a lovely king instead of being totally unable to do anything about it. You have a way to "not speed up" the exit of a good king, but it comes at the price of not being able to use him in a war. If your situation is particularly dire, you may indeed need to use your badass king to lead even if he dies from it. Isn't that an interesting decision? Is there a better alternative for how you'd like it to work?

quote:

There should be a way to make sure every monarch you get isnt 0/1/0 every-other ruler. Your entire game is based around Monarch Points and as a monarchy (like 75% of the countries in the historical game) you have exactly zero ways to cultivate a better ruler.
I mean in a 350+ yr game you're going to have all kinds of rulers. lovely ones and good ones. It's nice that the lovely ones have a hidden upside in the form of being a free general, and it's nice that the good ones have a hidden downside in terms of being painful to use as a general. I prefer that to simply being stuck with my king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Elman posted:

He's saying just by clicking the button to make your king a general he gets an increased chance to die, even if you never assign him to a unit or send him to battle.

I was under the impression that he needs to be assigned to an army or leading a siege for the increased chance to kick in. Are there any details that shed light on the mechanics one way or the other?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

CK2 had the "Ireland Start"(tm) for people getting acquainted to the game. Is there such a thing for EUIV?

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Castile, Portugal and Ottomans are what I consider easy starts

Portugal and Castile and become overseas power houses, the main difference is how much of an impact you want in Europe over all

Ottomans start in a spot where they can influence most of eroupe and the arab world, having many paths to expend through war on both sides, They also have pretty good events till late game

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
If you go back there was some discussion about it a little while ago (not sure about how many pages, sorry).

Besides those Stevefin mentioned I'd recommend Muscovy as well. It looks like you're surrounded by a bunch of countries that want to kill you, but the reality is that Lithuania is easy to ignore if you don't piss them off, Novgorod is a pushover with free land (take the "Conquer Novgorod" idea and declare war on them in the first week of the game before they can make an alliance with anyone, then take Novgorod and Neva off of them and they'll be completely toothless), and Kazan/Golden Horde will be too busy fighting each other to care about you. You can sit and learn the game at your own pace, then get involved and expand in any direction you want. You even get to see how colonizing works without having to go overseas or compete with other nations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

PittTheElder posted:

I've always thought that the higher tiers of government should start to average your monarch points out a little. So you get screwed over a lot less by a 0/0/0, but a would-be 6/6/6 no longer has the power to revolutionize your country either (because you wouldn't be able to roll one).

I dunno, there are quite a few examples even in huge empires of a single bad ruler running things into the ground (admittedly most of the examples I can think of are China-related, which was an extraordinarily centralized state).

this reminds me though, now that there aren't unique buildings, what do you guys think about a bonus diplomat/general being tied to government rank? So when you're an empire you get an extra of each. I'm not sure I mind the buildings being gone most of the time, they were a bit too easy to get, but when you're world-spanning you really do feel constrained these days.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is it normal for a fort to prevent me from retreating to sea? I landed via sea in a province then wanted out but could not move my force back to the ships as it said it was under a forts zone of control.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Koramei posted:

I dunno, there are quite a few examples even in huge empires of a single bad ruler running things into the ground (admittedly most of the examples I can think of are China-related, which was an extraordinarily centralized state).

this reminds me though, now that there aren't unique buildings, what do you guys think about a bonus diplomat/general being tied to government rank? So when you're an empire you get an extra of each. I'm not sure I mind the buildings being gone most of the time, they were a bit too easy to get, but when you're world-spanning you really do feel constrained these days.

Austria-Hungary and Germany both ran themselves into the ground via WW1 thanks to terrible Kings/Emperors.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Is that thing where you can make wasteland you surround your country colour still a non-ironman thing?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Anyone have any ~Hot Tipz~ for starting out as Bengal? I'm checking it out now and India is way more volatile than I realized. Allying is actually really dangerous because your ally is bound to get declared on, and not allying leaves you pretty open to Orissa and their march/allies.

e: Ok allying both Malwa and Bahmanis and then immediately declaring on Orissa worked out ok.

VDay fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 20, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Austria-Hungary and Germany both ran themselves into the ground via WW1 thanks to terrible Kings/Emperors.

Eh, more professional historians can correct me, but the overall understanding I have of those two in WWI was 1) basically everyone but the Kaiser was fairly competent in Germany and he didn't have all that much influence on major decisions of the war, hard to lay the blame at his feet and 2) Austria was tragically dysfunctional on almost every level, emperor notwithstanding.

Russia in WW1 however is a very good example of an empire crashing and burning due to lovely leader(s). Possibly also the Ottomans.

Edit: basically I'd argue the Kaiser was pretty worthless but not all that influential, while Austria was hosed top to bottom regardless of who was in charge.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 20, 2015

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

El Dorado got adjusted from 50% off to 75% off for some reason. I don't think anyone's complaining.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Gimnbo posted:

El Dorado got adjusted from 50% off to 75% off for some reason. I don't think anyone's complaining.

The content pack is just $2! Automatic buy at that price.

Apropos of nothing, it would be kind of cool if autonomy were integrated more. Autonomy doesn't have to be strictly bad, though it has been in this series since some EU3 expansion implemented centralization good, decentralization bad. Wouldn't it kind of make sense if more autonomous provinces were easier to core, for instance?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Started a game as Venice. Is there some decent way to get republican tradition?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What's a good starting strategy and idea plan for Brandenburg?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Bold Robot posted:

What's a good starting strategy and idea plan for Brandenburg?

Gain access to the sea. Murder the Hansa.

No bid COVID
Jul 22, 2007

Is there a way to prevent my march from leaving forts mothballed? It's pretty useless having a well-fortified march if it's just fully mothballed and gets seized immediately.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If it's not a bug I imagine it has to be finances. Moldovia, for example, at game start can't afford to maintain both its fort and army.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Yeah, just subsidize them.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
I got a bunch of hours into my first Ironman game yesterday, as Tuscany trying to form Italy, and when I went to load up the save today it's not there. What the heck? Anyone know what's gone wrong? Things were going a little ropey (I was heavily in debt and kinda messed up after having to single handedly wear down the armies of Hungary, Bosnia and the Papal State whilst my ally France spent two or three years sieging down forts in Savoy and being no help at all. Bastards. Fight your own drat wars from now on King Louis, I'm allying Poland :mad:) but still salvageable.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Fargo Fukes posted:

I got a bunch of hours into my first Ironman game yesterday, as Tuscany trying to form Italy, and when I went to load up the save today it's not there. What the heck? Anyone know what's gone wrong? Things were going a little ropey (I was heavily in debt and kinda messed up after having to single handedly wear down the armies of Hungary, Bosnia and the Papal State whilst my ally France spent two or three years sieging down forts in Savoy and being no help at all. Bastards. Fight your own drat wars from now on King Louis, I'm allying Poland :mad:) but still salvageable.

Ironman games are saved to the steam cloud, while just opening the save game folder defaults to the local save games. There should be a Cloud button under the list of your normal savegames where you can toggle between the two folders.

Question: Is there any downside to letting a group of pretender rebels win? I've got some lovely 1/0/2 ten year old in a regency after my 4/5/6 god king died at age 30. I finally figured out where to look for to find the pretender's stats, the guy in question is much better and has a strong claim. In the stability tab it says they'll only change the gov't type when they win, but everything I'm looking at online has a conflicting reports of either stab hits, low legitimacy, -200 prestige etc.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I maybe screwed up by connecting Austria to Russia? Because of that I can't do super-cheap culture conversions in Asia due to the "distant overseas" modifier. I wanted to gain a ton of IA by adding all of Russia to the Empire but I guess that can wait while I convert all of the steppes to Austrian culture. This game makes me a monster!

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jun 20, 2015

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Fintilgin posted:

In fairness, that's the idea behind advisors and national focus. Advisors ARE pretty drat expensive, though. I'd sort of like to see advisor cost scale more by the size of your country, so that smaller countries could get +3 advisors more easily, but bigger countries would still find them prohibitive.

Oh god this, this so much. I find it incredibly frustrating that the DHE's that give you awesome historical figures as advisors are pretty much entirely useless, especially before 1600 or so, because unless you're a wealthy trading/colonial power you can't afford them anyway. Oh boy, I get Leonardo da Vinci, how cool is that? Except he's going to sit in my advisor pool idly until he dies because some noname +1 guy won't bankrupt me.

One solution I can think of is to give advisors that come from random and historical events some kind of special flag that would make them significantly discounted. Or add events and decisions that give a temporary advisor cost reduction. Something to let small countries briefly punch above their weight in terms of court quality.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Like those events that give you very talented women but they usually cost way too much to hire.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

That can easily be fixed by making them cost 77% of normal.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

Playing as England and during the war of the roses another claimant form the rebel system swooped in and took the throne. Will my Yokrist supporter modifiers last forever?

Can anyone answer this?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

TTBF posted:

That can easily be fixed by making them cost 77% of normal.

:captainpop:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

So with the sale I was gifted a copy of the game, and now I'm looking at DLC. All the DLC, sans Common Sense which isn't discounted, costs 16 euros, and I'm not sure i have that many. I'm certain I have 10, however, and I'm definitely getting Art Of War, as per the OP.

Res Publica seems interesting, I think I'd like republics, and Wealth of Nations ties well into that, correct?
On the other hand El Dorado and Conquest of Paradise are the most expensive ones...

Any opinions on the individual DLCs, considering I've never actually played EUIV?

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
If I pretty much only play European-ish countries and am not very interested in custom nations, is El Dorado still worth it for the few colonization mechanics?

I'm fighting a battle beetween "save 3.74" and "must have all content DLC". Help me.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Trogdos! posted:

If I pretty much only play European-ish countries and am not very interested in custom nations, is El Dorado still worth it for the few colonization mechanics?

I'm fighting a battle beetween "save 3.74" and "must have all content DLC". Help me.

The new exploration mechanics are just a huge, huge improvement over the old ones, especially naval exploration. I think that's DLC only?

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Is that thing where you can make wasteland you surround your country colour still a non-ironman thing?

Yes, it's not in game options for some reason so you have to change a define value in some config file which alters the checksum

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
It's some insane hosed up bullshit that's for drat sure.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I use Transparent Political Map, which also gives you transparent wastelands:

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
So I decided to try out a Naples game in Common sense, everything was going fine at first. I got my independence, France, Castille and Austria as allies, Sicily from Aragon and was just about to vassalize Urbino, when my 25 year old King decides to die which triggers a succession war between Austria and France.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

PleasingFungus posted:

The new exploration mechanics are just a huge, huge improvement over the old ones, especially naval exploration. I think that's DLC only?

To my knowledge, the colonial features locked behind the ED DLC is sea/land expeditions, circumnavigation, and treasure fleets, no idea how those work. I still am not sure if I should go for it or not.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I maybe screwed up by connecting Austria to Russia? Because of that I can't do super-cheap culture conversions in Asia due to the "distant overseas" modifier. I wanted to gain a ton of IA by adding all of Russia to the Empire but I guess that can wait while I convert all of the steppes to Austrian culture. This game makes me a monster!

no offense good for you for making a PU with Russia and uniting both crowns and all but jesus those borders are ugly :psyduck:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Mans posted:

no offense good for you for making a PU with Russia and uniting both crowns and all but jesus those borders are ugly :psyduck:

:spergin:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Dont diss the pretty borders

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
ugly borders rule, last night I was playing a game as mainz where I just make my nation a straight line that cuts across Europe, so I can deny guys military access, from one sea to another

I really want to try that strat out in MP, and charge players a toll for crossing my land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Did someone say ugly borders?

It's going to look even more awesome once I diplo-annex Nepal. Also Bengal is a ridiculously good nation if you can get past the initial start and not get wiped out by Orissa+pals. You make a shitload of money off trade and can afford to have a bigger army than anyone around you. Me and Malwa kept things in check for a good 50 years before they finally got eaten up by Gujarat.

e: All will be consumed and :barf:'ed back out by mighty Bengal.

That Sadiya OPM right in the middle of all my poo poo is probably feeling a bit awkward.

VDay fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 20, 2015

• Locked thread