Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Paranautical Activity is ugly, most of the rooms are badly designed, the enemies are largely dull and the weapons are kind of lame to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jordan7hm posted:

If someone wants to try Wrack, quote this and I'll send a steam key your way.

You can find out for yourself why it's not very good.

(And on that note I also have a copy of System Shock 2 that needs a good home.

And Strife.

And Paranautical Activity, though this doesn't need a good home so much as someone willing to play a trashfire of a game.)

I'll take a copy of Wrack if you still have it.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/robot_cousin

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Today is apparently the 16th anniversary of Counter-Strike's first public beta release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzWPa2WYGyQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVL1exajDV4

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I'm pretty positive some of those anims will get cut down (:v:) a bit before the actual release.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

The Kins posted:

Today is apparently the 16th anniversary of Counter-Strike's first public beta release.

Very cool. I started during Beta 5.3, from the PC Gamer demo disk. CS is super nostalgia for me from my early adolescence. Love that under-developed, unrealized level design. Dark levels!

I am now two ranks away from Global Elite in CSGO.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Killing Floor 2 has better gore than Doom 4.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Kins posted:

Christ I'm so old.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Linguica posted:

Thanks for reminding me to update that page

Could also link to this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

"Doomier than Doom" :cheeky:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, I keep hearing familiar music in Reelism, but I can't place where I know it from :argh: Driving me nuts. I'd love to know the tracklist.

The tracklist is absolutely huge, though.

Type "changemus" in the console to get the lump name of the current song. Then go here and search for that lump name.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

Type "changemus" in the console to get the lump name of the current song. Then go here and search for that lump name.

:allears: Thank you VERY much for this. While Shadow Hog helped me figure out what track I couldn't think of, just looking through all of these is incredible.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

The Kins posted:

Worst reload animations in FPS history.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The Kins posted:

I didn't start till like beta 6 but goddamn if i wasn't completely addicted to this game all through middle and high school.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

A few addendums to this pastebin:

• ACTBLUD: "Bloodpool ~ Casandora" from ActRaiser.
  • ACTBOSS1: "The Beast Appears" from ActRaiser.
  • ACTBOSS2: "Powerful Enemy" from ActRaiser.
  • ACTBOSS3: "Satan" from ActRaiser.
  • ACTFIL: "Fillmore" from ActRaiser. (Man, all this ActRaiser music almost makes me wish "Sacrifices" was in; it's my favorite track.)
  • CVC_BLTR: This isn't a dump from any game, it's a custom NSF file made by Tsu Ryu remixing "Vampire Killer".
  • D_BARONK: More specifically, it's the track used in MAP28: "(Insert name here)" from Mock 2: The Speed of Stupid.
  • EVOBOSS: "Masters of Land, Sea, and Sky" from E.V.O.: Search for Eden.
  • EVOBOX: "Bolbox ~ Unnatural Threat" from E.V.O.: Search for Eden.
  • FF4BATT: "Fight 1" from Final Fantasy IV.
  • FF4BOSS: "Fight 2" from Final Fantasy IV.
  • FF4FIEND: "The Dreadful Fight" from Final Fantasy IV.
  • FF4GLBEZ: "Golbez, Clad in Dark" from Final Fantasy IV.
  • FF4ZERO: "The Final Battle" from Final Fantasy IV (against Zeromus).
  • FF5BATT: "The Battle" from Final Fantasy V.
  • FF5GIL: "Battle with Gilgamesh" from Final Fantasy V (aka "Battle on the Big Bridge"). Same track as MUS-BB01, although I don't know if it's the same dump.
  • FF5SNOW: "Walking the Snowy Mountains" from Final Fantasy V.
  • LAGBOSS: "Desperate Dreams" from Lagoon.
  • LAGSAM: "Armed and Ready" from Lagoon.
  • LAGTHIM: "Battles of Fate" from Lagoon.
  • MUS-B08: I'm pretty sure it uses Track 6, "Top Man's Stage". (I generally haven't paid close enough attention to which track's used in NSFs and GBSes, tho.)
  • MUS-C15: "Even the Patience of a Pierrot Has Limits" from Parodius Da! arcade version. (It's a right shame the GameMusicEmu library that lets ZDoom play SPCs/VGMs doesn't support later versions of VGM, there's a nice VGM dump of the arcade version's music now...)
  • MUS-C16: "Beautiful Gals" from Parodius Da! arcade version.
  • MUS-DOGS: Specifically, a remix of "Overworld" from Super Mario Bros. 2.
  • MUS-FFWI: Correct. Specifically: "Victory!" from Final Fantasy [1] in Final Fantasy Origins on the PS1.
  • MUS-LOB0: an edit of NintendoLand's bootup jingle.
  • MUS-MCRE: A remix of Super Mario Bros. 3's Ending Theme, although I'm not sure where this remix came from.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oh wow. Any idea what track is used for the results screen? For a second, I thought it was from Super Mario Kart, but I'm very wrong.

EDIT: I'm kind of surprised 'Fever' or 'Chill' from Dr Mario didn't make it in anywhere.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's like the Smash 4 soundtrack of Doom wads.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh wow. Any idea what track is used for the results screen? For a second, I thought it was from Super Mario Kart, but I'm very wrong.
The music from the "YOU'RE DEAD STUPID" screen is the score card from Mole Patrol in Super Scope 6.

RyokoTK posted:

It's like the Smash 4 soundtrack of Doom wads.
Every single SNES music rip is 64kb. Every! Single! One!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Personally, I wanna know where the hell I've heard HATSOFF from before, because I swear I heard it sometime during the '90s/early '00s, but can't place it anymore.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shadow Hog posted:

Personally, I wanna know where the hell I've heard HATSOFF from before, because I swear I heard it sometime during the '90s/early '00s, but can't place it anymore.
It's the Marathon 2 title theme.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

...okay, no idea why I'd recognize that, then, since I never got particularly into Marathon.

Would explain why it doesn't quite sound like the distorted voice is saying "hats off", though - he's actually saying "Marathon".

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

drrockso20 posted:

I could go for a copy of System Shock 2(Steam name is drrockso20[MicS] ), also what's so bad about Paranautical Activity?

also bought Ziggurat during the first day of Steam Sale, and it's a pretty fun game that is definitely rather Doom like in play style

PA is like Ziggurat; an acceptable but ultimately boring game, but made with far less attention to detail and polish. Also your steam ID doesn't work.

Mechadon released the second beta for Vela Pax. 3 levels. Get it here.

e: The chaingun is sooooo good.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 20, 2015

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Shadow Hog posted:

...okay, no idea why I'd recognize that, then, since I never got particularly into Marathon.

Would explain why it doesn't quite sound like the distorted voice is saying "hats off", though - he's actually saying "Marathon".

"Hats Off" is a loving deep Marathon reference (and not even a funny or good one), so even if you had got into Marathon you probably wouldn't get it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Jordan7hm posted:

PA is like Ziggurat; an acceptable but ultimately boring game, but made with far less attention to detail and polish. Also your steam ID doesn't work.

Mechadon released the second beta for Vela Pax. 3 levels. Get it here.

e: The chaingun is sooooo good.

try searching for just drrockso20, it should be the only profile result, should have a grasshopper head as it's icon

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

RyokoTK posted:

"Hats Off" is a loving deep Marathon reference (and not even a funny or good one), so even if you had got into Marathon you probably wouldn't get it.

Oh, right. Hats off to 819!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

SilentW posted:

Oh, right. Hats off to 819!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is "medium" difficulty on Quake 1 single player generally considered to be a good time? I'm willing to do hard, but not sure if it's a thing like Doom's Nightmare difficulty where it's basically not meant to be played by human beings.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Not even Quake's Nightmare stacks up against Doom's Nightmare.

Quake Hard is a pretty solid difficulty overall, but I feel like sometimes you end up against Shamblers a little earlier than you're meant to be.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Minidust posted:

Is "medium" difficulty on Quake 1 single player generally considered to be a good time? I'm willing to do hard, but not sure if it's a thing like Doom's Nightmare difficulty where it's basically not meant to be played by human beings.

Medium is just fine for your first run or two. Hard only adds more enemies, which is good if you want more of a challenge after beating it in Medium once or twice.

Nightmare speeds up enemy attacks by quite a bit and keeps Hard's enemy placement. It's not too bad in vanilla Quake 1, but for anything else, from the mission packs to custom maps, it makes things very difficult.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

closeted republican posted:

Medium is just fine for your first run or two. Hard only adds more enemies, which is good if you want more of a challenge after beating it in Medium once or twice.

Nightmare speeds up enemy attacks by quite a bit and keeps Hard's enemy placement. It's not too bad in vanilla Quake 1, but for anything else, from the mission packs to custom maps, it makes things very difficult.

Cool, thanks for the tip. I'll run through on medium. Not that it's a solid comparison, but I had the freakin PS1 version of Quake II, and I recall getting stuck on Hard pretty early on and quitting. I'd probably be better now, but still. Medium's cool with me.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Quake has a nightmare difficulty, hard is basically UV.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

for some reason the nightmare difficulty is 'hidden' in quake even though it's not as hard on you as doom's

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

I think that one is 761, if I'm not mistaken.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I really wish "Aleph Two" would happen... I mean, doing the closer-to-base stuff first is sensible, but can we at least get a loving menu system overhaul please? Marathon's menus are awful.

Edit: And I went to go grab A1 again to struggle with the lovely menus and apparently they're still hosted at sourceforge so not doing that... also they released an update today if anyone cares

Keiya fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jun 20, 2015

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Thyrork posted:

Aright the manual's done. For now at least. Thanks tons for helping polish it!

Glad it helped. :unsmith:

Thanks for this :thumbsup:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I'm not nearly as down on Doom 4 as others (although I think Shadow Warrior 2 looks better all round so far), but it greatly amuses me that it somehow seems to have adopted some of Brutal Doom's graphical quirks as well, like enemies disappearing for a frame or two before a finisher animation begins. Quite how they ended up with that issue with four more generations of engine development and a professional dev team is beyond me.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Even that 'sped-up' version of the Doom 4 trailer looks way too loving slow most of the time. The whole thing seems just like a slightly better Doom 3, i.e. like a terribly boring poo poo game. Ole.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You'll never be 8 and discover vidya games again guys

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

SilentW posted:

I think that one is 761, if I'm not mistaken.

The number 761 comes from a terminal on the level Where Monsters Are in Dreams:

However, the level in the picture is called Hats Off to Eight Nineteen. The map never existed in Infinity as such, but there were two hidden terminals in Infinity that had a bunch of hexadecimal garbage. If you took all that stuff, combined them in a text editor, used Res Edit to convert the entire mess of hexadecimal to ASCII, and then used Stuffit Expander to open that text file, you would get a map.

The map also exists in the downloadable map pack Coriolis Loop, which was made by the Infinity team later. The map itself is nothing special, but it does have a single terminal on it (seen in the original picture) with some extremely badly written spec-fic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That spec-fic was supposed to tie into the studio's next game, Duality, which was never finished.