Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
New episode! Death in Venice. Said by many to be Bogarde's finest performance, said by me to be "....eehhhh..."

Dirk Bogarde series is now done and dusted! Next up - my first Patreon requested review!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

High Warlord Zog posted:

My problem with the video is that it feels really toothless, as if Yahtzee’s gone out of his way to avoid saying anything that’ll piss of the shitlords too much, hence four minutes of gameplay complaints, capped off with one minute of “both sides are wrong” spiel. Its bad criticism, and bad comedy (almost all of the jokes feel phoned in), and the unfortunate coincidence that its release coincides with a high profile mass shooting highlights how facile the whole thing is.

So you're offended that he didn't get offended enough.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Annointed posted:

Because he's their only main source of income. Their youtube channel is just him and everyone else on their site is who tier. Plus there is the loyalty thing since he got to his position by the Escapist.

The escapist have always been the Yahtzee show for the first few years, luckly they picked up a few others before people started to get tired of his gimmick then they all left and somehow got better due to it (granted movie bob just went from poo poo to meh)

Now it just Yahtzee and no one give a gently caress about him anymore.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Well we cared enough to spend two pages discussing him.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Well we cared enough to spend two pages discussing him.

true let end this and stop giving a have been some hits on a horrible site.

anyways, I know it have it own thread, but I think Worst episode ever is my favorite podcast now. I want to watch more newer Simpsons and that may be a bad thing. I kind of want to check out some of the ones there where positive on.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 20, 2015

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I kind of like Yahtzee, albeit more as someone who presents his opinions in an amusing way than as someone with any kind of nuance to said opinions. I don't exactly follow him, but sometimes I like to binge on playlists of funny fast-talk sweary guy.

Then again, I have wretched taste in a lot of my internet entertainment.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are we sure that Doug isn't on some loving spectrum?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

I'm still convinced he loves trains. A lot.

Edit: About Yahtzee. I'm just kinda grey on him. I see his opinions as whatever but I know people who take what he says as the word of god and that's what pisses me off. And you know what I loving hate the most about him? He started this whole PC MASTER RACE horseshit and he did it with a hint of irony and sarcasm but you can find a lot of people on Reddit and even here on SA that literally feel like their penises are bigger and foreskins are longer because of how much they game on PC. Even if it wasn't exactly his fault it'll always piss me the gently caress off that he was a big catalyst for that term.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 20, 2015

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

stay mad console peasant

ps yahtzee didn't start poo poo, "pc master race" has been around since the beginning of time because it's true

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
It wasn't "a hint of irony and sarcasm", it was a complete loving slam. He was making fun of the original Witcher (which he absolutely hated) for being needlessly obtuse, and said something along the lines of "if I don't want to read and understand all this poo poo, I guess I'm not part of the glorious gaming PC master race this game was meant for." He was making fun of how a lot of PC RPGs are needlessly complex and people eat the poo poo up.

I disagree about The Witcher being super complicated, but in context it was a slam (well, as much of a slam as anything said while doing a "I hate things" schtick is).

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Do not even ask posted:

stay mad console peasant

ps yahtzee didn't start poo poo, "pc master race" has been around since the beginning of time because it's true

This but ironically.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Infamous Sphere posted:

New episode! Death in Venice. Said by many to be Bogarde's finest performance, said by me to be "....eehhhh..."

Dirk Bogarde series is now done and dusted! Next up - my first Patreon requested review!
Yeesh, I got uncomfortable just from watching those little clips of that movie. Couldn't imagine sitting through two hours of that.

Really excited for that next review!

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Celery Face posted:

Yeesh, I got uncomfortable just from watching those little clips of that movie. Couldn't imagine sitting through two hours of that.

Really excited for that next review!

The worst thing is, it's uncomfortable and boring. It's not like watching Mysterious Skin or Beauty or something, where you feel horrified but engaged by the story - in this, you're yelling at the movie to get on with it every 2 minutes. I wasn't joking about it taking 2 weeks to watch. I'd watch about 20 minutes, and feel incredibly compelled to go and watch something else. While it's far from the ideal way to watch a film, I do take notes the vast majority of the time I watch something for the show, so I certainly didn't "miss anything."

Interestingly enough, my friend just watched The Night Porter (also by an Italian director, also created around the same time as Death in Venice) and she described it as "messed up and also boring and extremely weird - how can something be messed up and weird and still boring?"
Maybe it was a particular talent of art cinema at the time - to be weird, uncomfortable and boring? If you want to watch a good Italian film with weird sexual themes made in this time period, I highly recommend The Conformist.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Cyron posted:

Now it just Yahtzee and no one give a gently caress about him anymore.

Nah alot of people actually do

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Yahtzee makes his points, gives some info about the game and manages to get in and out in under 7 min. Not only that, he does it every week regular as clockwork. He manages to get a few laughs from me every video. You may not agree with all his opinions but he is a consummate pro and he puts many other critics to shame in terms of consistency and professionalism. There are other critics whom I have more time for who could learn a lot from him.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Yahtzee makes his points, gives some info about the game and manages to get in and out in under 7 min. Not only that, he does it every week regular as clockwork. He manages to get a few laughs from me every video. You may not agree with all his opinions but he is a consummate pro and he puts many other critics to shame in terms of consistency and professionalism. There are other critics whom I have more time for who could learn a lot from him.

Agreed. He's also a drat good writer, and has an excellent sense for what would make a funny visual so the dozens of flashcards he makes each episode are always tied into what he's talking about at that second, which just makes his writing funnier when you can see the metaphor. He is often childish, low effort, pandering, and crude, but he's also legitimately funny and makes short videos, so he's still worth watching every week until he stops being funny, which will vary person by person and typically be the point where he calls out that one game you love for being poo poo. Yahtzee is a good critic, even though his opinions are secondary reasons to watch his videos.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yahtzee is one of those weird ones where, even though I don't like his opinions most of the time, I'll still give him a watch just because he's entertaining. And that's a good enough reason to burn a few minutes a week on.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Yahtzee makes some good points and he makes some bad ones, he makes some funny videos and makes some unfunny ones. I've just gotten tired of Zero Punctuation after watching it for like 7 or so years.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah I've been watching it on and off and more often from habit than enjoyment at this point. In other news the Channel Awesome bidding war comment section on Youtube is now not entirely derp.

By that I mean even they think that video was poo poo and a waste of time and money.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Infamous Sphere posted:

The worst thing is, it's uncomfortable and boring. It's not like watching Mysterious Skin or Beauty or something, where you feel horrified but engaged by the story - in this, you're yelling at the movie to get on with it every 2 minutes. I wasn't joking about it taking 2 weeks to watch. I'd watch about 20 minutes, and feel incredibly compelled to go and watch something else. While it's far from the ideal way to watch a film, I do take notes the vast majority of the time I watch something for the show, so I certainly didn't "miss anything."

I read the novella online, and my vague impression was of a portrayal of decay. Not just of Venice itself as the cholera epidemic sweeps through, but also of Aschenbach's moral character as he slides towards death. At the start of the novel, it talks about how he was known for writing a novel that champions "moral resoluteness". So by the beginning, Aschenbach is a man who values his morality, before he first sees Tadzio and everything crumbles. Watching the review, I noticed the conversation between the film version of Aschenbach and his friend/lover was pretty much spelling out the themes that were implied in the novella.

It's sad to hear about what happened to the guy who played Tadzio, though...

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
Movie Nights: The Ambulance! Eric Roberts and James Earl Jones fight an evil ambulance. This was the winner of last month's Viewer's Choice on my Patreon:
http://phelous.com/2015/06/20/obscurus-lupa/movienights/movie-nights-the-ambulance/

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Kyle looks at a Japanese interpretation of a Shakespeare work.

http://chezapocalypse.com/episodes/throne-of-blood-noh-shakespeare-no-problems-summer-of-shakespeare/

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

My new Sonichu review is now public. Warning: censored, but still not really safe for work.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Miss Wallace posted:

Movie Nights: The Ambulance! Eric Roberts and James Earl Jones fight an evil ambulance. This was the winner of last month's Viewer's Choice on my Patreon:
http://phelous.com/2015/06/20/obscurus-lupa/movienights/movie-nights-the-ambulance/

The most beautiful combination words

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
This is the end for Cheapskate Reviews. For my last episode, I’ve made a special about lost film.

I’m ending the show because I got a new job recently that’s taking up more of my time, plus I’m doing other things (Ultimate Frisbee, golf, RPG night, piano playing) that are restricting my ability to film, so I thought I’d switch over to writing reviews instead of filming them. This also lets me focus on what I’m good at (writing) rather than what I’m not so good at (technical aspects of film, looking good on camera).

Edit:

quote:

Kyle looks at a Japanese interpretation of a Shakespeare work.

http://chezapocalypse.com/episodes/...of-shakespeare/

Fine work as usual, Kyle. One of the big differences between Macbeth and Throne of Blood—one that plays into the theme of cynicism that you’ve identified—is that as part of Japanese Lady Macbeth’s pep talk to her husband, she tells him that one of these days, Japanese Banquo is going to tell somebody else about that prophecy and Japanese Duncan will have Japanese Macbeth killed just to be safe, so there’s really no choice in the matter.

echopapa fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 20, 2015

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Spark That Bled posted:

I read the novella online, and my vague impression was of a portrayal of decay. Not just of Venice itself as the cholera epidemic sweeps through, but also of Aschenbach's moral character as he slides towards death. At the start of the novel, it talks about how he was known for writing a novel that champions "moral resoluteness". So by the beginning, Aschenbach is a man who values his morality, before he first sees Tadzio and everything crumbles. Watching the review, I noticed the conversation between the film version of Aschenbach and his friend/lover was pretty much spelling out the themes that were implied in the novella.

It's sad to hear about what happened to the guy who played Tadzio, though...

Yeah, I must confess that I haven't read the novella. It is a very good observation though.
I didn't talk about it much, but in the film they make him a composer instead of an author, and they model him off Mahler. Which is why Mahler plays frequently throughout the movie. I'm not entirely sure why there's a connection to Mahler, because as far as I know he wasn't into men, let alone boys. It's as if Visconti picked a random composer and went with that.
According to the extremely reliable source that is IMDB trivia, the actor who played Aschenbach's friend/boyfriend "later admitted he never understood the meaning of his dialogue."
A lot of people think this film is wonderful, and that's fine, but it just didn't really work for me. With the added context of the novella it might have been better. There's also at least two other films based on the same story, both of which look pretty bad.

Infamous Sphere fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 20, 2015

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

echopapa posted:

This is the end for Cheapskate Reviews. For my last episode, I’ve made a special about lost film.

I’m ending the show because I got a new job recently that’s taking up more of my time, plus I’m doing other things (Ultimate Frisbee, golf, RPG night, piano playing) that are restricting my ability to film, so I thought I’d switch over to writing reviews instead of filming them. This also lets me focus on what I’m good at (writing) rather than what I’m not so good at (technical aspects of film, looking good on camera).
Best of luck, man!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
SF Debris looks at the DS9 episode "Far Beyond the Stars" and the 1953 comic "Judgement Day".

Coincidentally, considering what happened this week, this video seems sadly appropriate, even though Chuck's had it on his schedule for months.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Miss Wallace posted:

Best of luck, man!

Thanks! I wouldn’t have started the show if I hadn’t whiled away the hours at one of my old jobs watching OLP, so in a way, this is all your fault. :P

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Also known as a "China." :wtc:

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

echopapa posted:

Thanks! I wouldn’t have started the show if I hadn’t whiled away the hours at one of my old jobs watching OLP, so in a way, this is all your fault. :P

Aww, well thanks. Hope everything goes well at the new job.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Arcsquad12 posted:

SF Debris looks at the DS9 episode "Far Beyond the Stars" and the 1953 comic "Judgement Day".

Coincidentally, considering what happened this week, this video seems sadly appropriate, even though Chuck's had it on his schedule for months.

This premise could have been hammy and terrible but the episode pulls it off so loving perfectly. It's up there in the best things Trek has done, ever.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'm 5:35 seconds into the uncensored version. Gad dammit DStecks! :suicide:

Edit: This isn't sex, it's insurance fraud :lol: Ok, you deserve my respect for that line alone.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 21, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I'm torn on whether to start watching these, because on one hand I'm pretty disgusted with what the internet's done to Chris-chan, but on the other hand, terrible outsider art.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I can't decide whether an extensive documentary on a single unhinged internet person is the worst thing, or merely par for the course.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

In the Realms of the Unreal was a pretty good documentary, but it was made about a guy who seemed to be a better person than Chris-chan and made by people who weren't creepily obsessed with him.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I'm torn on whether to start watching these, because on one hand I'm pretty disgusted with what the internet's done to Chris-chan, but on the other hand, terrible outsider art.

I don't fully stand by all of my older stuff. I've been chipping away at Sonichu for 5 years now. I say some things and make some jokes in the earlier videos that I probably would not today. You can probably just start with this episode, and gauge from that if Sonichu is going to be your thing, because this episode is about as intense as it gets. But yeah, if you're into outsider art, that's an angle I try to come at Sonichu from, rather than pure point-and-laugh. I know my poo poo about CWC, so I try to help get across the thought processes that went into various aspects of the comic, and why it is the way that it is, while still remaining compassionate (as compassionate as you can be in the context of a "laugh at the lovely comic" video).

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Chris-chan is loving awful, but there is an element of tragedy in how, with the mixture of their disabilities and how badly her parents hosed her up, it seems like it's pretty much impossible for her to not be terrible. It doesn't really seem like there was any chance for her to get on a different path. :smith:

I'm autistic and like most neurodivergent people who hears about CWC, I'm honestly terrified of being anything like her. Even at my worst I wasn't as bad as her best though, thankfully.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 23, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I shouldn't ask, but google doesn't really give a straight answer: who is Chris-Chan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

I shouldn't ask, but google doesn't really give a straight answer: who is Chris-Chan?

Are you sure, because literally everything on the first page of the results for that search term specifically is sites answering that question.

• Locked thread