Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the pools aren't 7000 questions, they're groups of 20 questions each of which if you understand a concept (say, 468/f for a half wave) you can do them all

its anti-cheese basically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
dont even look at the pools IMO. look at hamstudy.org and see which parts you suck at and then do them over and over until you get them right

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my radio is literally eight miles away at a fedex DC

god hates me

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

my radio is literally eight miles away at a fedex DC

god hates me

i had to wait like 12 hours to get an email reply after dude said it was $200 and it was just like 7am to 7pm or smth dude was obvs working but it was agonizing

50 ft rg8x coming in friday. excited. doing a little reading and i think i might go hit up HD and get some 14 gauge stranded THWN. idk. they dont have a per foot price on their website so idk. i should have just enough speaker wire to make a 20m dipole

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PElE-4w8nFY

some day I will get good at the bug. gotta buy one first i suppose

e: the thhn 14 stranded is pretty good poo poo. for future projects i will STRONGLY recommend the Wireman 18 gauge stranded copper covered steel with the black jacket. it's a few bucks, but a: its SUPER strong, like I broke a single strand hanging from it but two strands held my 180 lb rear end off the ground, b: it's pretty gd stealthy if you have any trees or backdrop besides sky, and c: you can just tie it in knots on the end instead of twisting poo poo up, and it will stay until you untie it

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 18, 2015

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
ive got lots of trees :)

now i rly want one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/291492459279
and also the matching power supply, lol.

should i use rubbing alcohol or goo gone to get this cloth tape residue off of the top of the radio? and should i bother trying to clean the outside of the radio up a bit? its not in awful shape but it could use a good wipedown probably. the knob is kinda grimy also

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
also my wife + oitnb killing all my free time at night since i got the drat thing. finishing last ep tonight tho. much doesn't seem to be open in the mornings this week, at least w/ my poo poo random wire going out the window.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

scary white man alarm bells going off. apparently its in honor of a silent key. cant tell if that was an issued or vanity. i rly rly hope its the former.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I'm listening to the radio./

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i still havent bothered to get a license

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PuTTY riot posted:

ive got lots of trees :)

now i rly want one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/291492459279
and also the matching power supply, lol.

should i use rubbing alcohol or goo gone to get this cloth tape residue off of the top of the radio? and should i bother trying to clean the outside of the radio up a bit? its not in awful shape but it could use a good wipedown probably. the knob is kinda grimy also

auto tuner is nice. i will not lie, i am looking at building you a manual tuner as a welcome to hf gift, but you still need some sort of cross needle meter or at least an swr meter (preferably the former) cause i dont do swr bridges. stand by on that and practice your resonant dipole-fu. 20m will be good training

goo gone is great and it wont do anything to that enamel paint. clean it up as much as you can. i like to use simple green for cleaning old lovely gear, you can let it soak and it'll eat a lot of gunk off. given that its a smokerradio sounds like, i would clean the gently caress out of it and maybe consider cleaning the inside of the case. get that thing shiny as best you can

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 18, 2015

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my father in law is hyper into radios and he words for taits as an electrical engineer i hear they do radios and he flies to the US all the time to teach about radios

i think he radio chats

his names keith do you guys know him

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

auto tuner is nice. i will not lie, i am looking at building you a manual tuner as a welcome to hf gift, but you still need some sort of cross needle meter or at least an swr meter (preferably the former) cause i dont do swr bridges. stand by on that and practice your resonant dipole-fu. 20m will be good training

goo gone is great and it wont do anything to that enamel paint. clean it up as much as you can. i like to use simple green for cleaning old lovely gear, you can let it soak and it'll eat a lot of gunk off. given that its a smokerradio sounds like, i would clean the gently caress out of it and maybe consider cleaning the inside of the case. get that thing shiny as best you can

that's awesome, thanks. I'll keep an eye out for a meter. the guy I got the 735 from said he had some other misc stuff so I'll hit him up and see what he's got.

I haven't really noticed a cig smell that's too bad, it really only was when the power cable was hot. maybe my nose is wrong.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
i've had a box of WRT54GL v1.1s sitting here for a few weeks, gonna try to make them run as a LoS link on ~2350 MHz or so, hopefully the chipset can be made to run there...

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ty for the explanation of those maps :)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

https://pthree.org/2015/06/16/hardware-rng-through-an-rtl-sdr-dongle/

kinda interesting I guess??

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

actually very interesting. niiiiice

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
so the wrt 54 can't run in the lower 13cm band because broadcom

but some germans have made it work by replacing the 20 MHz synth reference with one running at 19.6608 MHz, this shifts all frequencies down by about 40 MHz so channel 1 runs at 2371 MHz

might do that, getting away from all the QRM in the normal channels will definitely improve the link budget and i need every single dB

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
hd didn't have 100 ft stranded thhn. by the foot and the 50 ft rolls are way more. but their website says they have 3 in stock. about to do a store pickup since i need to go back and get pvc parts anyway.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
e: I want to attach the middle of the dipole to this antenna mast. lots of good trees around on both sides (second pic is taken directly under the mast). gotta figure out how I'll clamp/tie it to the mast tho. could just do an eye bolt and some sort of locking clip I suppose

gently caress awful app

E:

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 18, 2015

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
i just inhereted 8 of these from a UPS @ work:

http://www.batteryplex.com/csb.cfm/m/HR1224WF2

they are rly old. but they were still putting out the correct voltage (48v was how they were wired)

the UPS had a 'replace battery' message and i replaced them and its still saying 'replace battery' so hopefully that means it smth else and not these batts.

what do i need to charge these? trying to keep it on the cheap

e:

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 18, 2015

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/2n22to/just_something_interesting_paris_hilton_might_be/

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

something

something else

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

lmbo paris hilton's listening to you do bong hits or whatever it is you do

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

jk the big reveal is i'm paris hilton

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

How to blow $6 billion on a tech project
Military's 15-year quest for the perfect radio is a blueprint for failing big.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

PuTTY riot posted:

i just inhereted 8 of these from a UPS @ work:

http://www.batteryplex.com/csb.cfm/m/HR1224WF2

they are rly old. but they were still putting out the correct voltage (48v was how they were wired)

the UPS had a 'replace battery' message and i replaced them and its still saying 'replace battery' so hopefully that means it smth else and not these batts.

what do i need to charge these? trying to keep it on the cheap

e:

ha, those are good batts

they are 12v 9Ah AGMs - so looks like a 48vdc pack the way its wired.. so, if you ran them all in parallel they would be 72Ah worth of battery, a bit clunky having htem all separate like that, but, not bad at all

just a 12v AGM charger will work fine one at a time on small battery mode or do them in pairs in parallel a bit higher.... or hell, do them all in parallel together, w/e, but prolly worth doing one at a time just to make sure they are all still good and toss any that wont come up to the level as the others

i'd recommend something like this if within your budget: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LWVEKS/ - it's a really good charger and worth just having around anyway if you don't already have a decent 12v charger

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
you might need to just tell the UPS you changed the batteries, it might be on some sort of maintenance cycle timer, and just arbitrarily said "its been 4 years, time to replace!" or something

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Sniep posted:

ha, those are good batts

they are 12v 9Ah AGMs - so looks like a 48vdc pack the way its wired.. so, if you ran them all in parallel they would be 72Ah worth of battery, a bit clunky having htem all separate like that, but, not bad at all

just a 12v AGM charger will work fine one at a time on small battery mode or do them in pairs in parallel a bit higher.... or hell, do them all in parallel together, w/e, but prolly worth doing one at a time just to make sure they are all still good and toss any that wont come up to the level as the others

i'd recommend something like this if within your budget: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LWVEKS/ - it's a really good charger and worth just having around anyway if you don't already have a decent 12v charger

i was looking at the battery tender jr: http://amzn.com/B000CITK8S. so after i confirm they're all good, i can just connect them all in parallel, put the top back on that case, and hook up a batt tender to it?

Sniep posted:

you might need to just tell the UPS you changed the batteries, it might be on some sort of maintenance cycle timer, and just arbitrarily said "its been 4 years, time to replace!" or something

nice. gonna do a little googling cause the guy who knows about these things just left and is gonna be gone for like a week.

e: u tube says they self test by themselves every 12 hours or so and also they may need some time for the initial charge. idk.

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 19, 2015

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

PuTTY riot posted:

i was looking at the battery tender jr: http://amzn.com/B000CITK8S.

you want something a LITTLE beefier than 0.75 Amps.... for 70Ah of battery, that poo poo is going to take half a week to charge and might not ever actually get fully charged, poo poo is slooooow trickle charger

like i said if oyu can afford it, get the one i posted above, its really good and worth it. and has special charge curves for AGM instead of just being "good at everything! haha"

PuTTY riot posted:

so after i confirm they're all good, i can just connect them all in parallel, put the top back on that case, and hook up a batt tender to it?

yes, cyclic use - both discharge and charge kept stored all in parallel.

PuTTY riot posted:

nice. gonna do a little googling cause the guy who knows about these things just left and is gonna be gone for like a week.

APC has good docs, shouldnt be hard. I presume that's an APC since APC uses those exact batteries in like, half of their drat products

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

PuTTY riot posted:

e: u tube says they self test by themselves every 12 hours or so and also they may need some time for the initial charge. idk.

then you might find one of the batteries wont take a full charge and has been holding down the pack.

Remember that for AGM batts the "Full voltage" at full charge per 12v battery of 6 cells is like 12.8 Volts... so if healthy, the pack should have read over 50 volts, not like 47.9 or something.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
20m opened up right now. listening to ppl from SC, MO, and south florida.

is it common to only be able to hear 1 side of a QSO?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
20m net on 14300 comming in S9 from south florida

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
net control is V protective of 'his' frequency. lol.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sniep posted:

Yeah whenever you swap batts in an APC that is smaller than a symmetra give it the ol self test

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PuTTY riot posted:

20m opened up right now. listening to ppl from SC, MO, and south florida.

is it common to only be able to hear 1 side of a QSO?

very very common.

----

the 746 is set up and i'm testing it out. sniep got a youtube of me cranking the power

its is a beautiful, smooth, solid radio. also heavy as poo poo

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
did some simulation work in ADS today, managed to work out how to make an MMIC based coaxial resonator VCO

basically it's a resistive feedback from the output to the input (~20-200 ohm) that provides broadband positive feedback, normally this oscillates at around 1 kHz
adding a shorted coaxial stub from the input to ground then shorts out pretty much everything except the 1/4 wavelength frequency of the stub

found a really ugly INA-10386 based amplifier board i made last year and wired it up:

big yellow antenna for the feedback

frequency is fairly stable, within +-50 kHz short term, the simulation suggests it should be tunable over a fairly broad range with a basic 10pF varactor, a dry finger capacitor to ground tunes it down up to 40 MHz

oscillation frequency is fairly sensitive to the load impedance, so a practical design should have a resistive attenuator and amplifier to isolate it from whatever load is connected to avoid excessive VCO pulling

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

:barf:

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
i need a good cheap SMD varactor diode

been running simulations on the BB145B, but i'd prefer something i can buy 100 of for $5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
put up a 6m dipole taped to a piece of molding, stuck that thing 25 feet up.

first 6m QSO to a guy in Tucson lol
not bad

• Locked thread