Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm in the Xbox One Preview Program but I've no idea how to stream games to my PC. Is that feature enabled yet?

According to this, it should be available now to Preview Program members.
http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/15/8782549/xbox-one-game-streaming-windows-10

Gamertag is Edward_CCCXVIII

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm in the Xbox One Preview Program but I've no idea how to stream games to my PC. Is that feature enabled yet?

I could use an invite to test this as well. My gamertag is fishmech

I think you might need to add us as friends before you can do the invite.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Anyone else have problems with LAN stuff in 10130?

After upgrading I can't access any of my samba shares on my file server. Though I can access it via other protocols (SSH, HTTP, etc).

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I don't see anywhere in the Xbox UI to invite anyone to the Preview Program. I just tried streaming to my PC and it worked, but with pretty bad flickering on my PC display. Not sure if I've got something configured wrongly or something. There wasn't perceivable input lag playing Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare multiplayer, which is nice.

I hope Windows 10 on Xbox One brings performance improvements in terms of overall UI responsiveness. It's currently often embarrassing.

Also, updating apps in the background would be nice. The Star Wars trailer was advertised on the dashboard, so I selected it. Then I had to "buy" it, which took me to the Xbox Video app, which needed updated.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 17, 2015

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
If you stream a FPS for example from your Xbone to your PC, can you play with keyboard and mouse?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Decided to jump into the Windows 10 Preview because why not. Everything seems fine apart from two issues:

- When I reboot my machine, after the spinning Windows boot thing I get a black screen. It's not the "hit CTRL and type in your password" black screen, the system seems completely unresponsive. Unplugging one of my two displays seems to help but that's a bit of a pain. Running a GTX 970 with nVidia drivers dated April 29th 2015.

FAKE EDIT: well it seems these weren't the latest drivers after all, there's a newer WHQL driver so I'll try that.

EDIT: Yeah the latest drivers seem to have fixed this.

- Two of my drives are inaccessible. They show up in the drive list, but if I click them I get an error: "Location is not available. D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function." I've run chkdsk on both of them. Both drives are located on the same physical drive, so I don't know what the gently caress.

EDIT: apparently Windows 10 doesn't like dynamic disks?

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 17, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Thermopyle posted:

Anyone else have problems with LAN stuff in 10130?

After upgrading I can't access any of my samba shares on my file server. Though I can access it via other protocols (SSH, HTTP, etc).
What happened over here during the upgrade is that the IP address configurations of both my network interfaces were merged and then assigned to each adapter.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

If you stream a FPS for example from your Xbone to your PC, can you play with keyboard and mouse?
No, it's been confirmed that you must use an Xbone controller when streaming to a PC.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Well whatever problem I was having with my accessing shares on my server was solved by doing the Settings>Reset my PC thing.

This also solved a handful of other problems I've been having with Win10. Like the start menu works way better now...

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is everyone just fine with Windows default setting for pinch to zoom be to change global scaling for everything? My experience is that I never want to scale OS UI via pinch to zoom and I accidentally do it pretty often on other people's laptops with lovely drivers that don't detect pinch to zoom very well. Now the solution is to just turn it off but I'm talking generally and not about my specific needs. Is this really the best default setting to have given how lovely recent PC laptop trackpads are? Especially for the non technical windows user who isn't going to ask for help and just thinks this is what they have to live with?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Well whatever problem I was having with my accessing shares on my server was solved by doing the Settings>Reset my PC thing.

This also solved a handful of other problems I've been having with Win10. Like the start menu works way better now...

A clean install of 10130, coupled with the post-10130 Windows Updates, Apps updates (Universal Apps and Firefox, mainly) and GPU driver updates has made 10 much closer to prime time for me. It's been quite gradual and I couldn't honestly point to a time where I though aye, that's it, but I'm more hopeful now they'll have the major kinks worked out soon.

Apart from the fit and finish stuff, I just wish they'd sort out the Start Menu search shite. Windows 8 was terrible for it, 8.1 improved it but Windows 7 Start Menu search just worked as expected. If I searched for a song on my computer, it was generally the first result. It didn't give me web results or random occurrences of some loosely-related search term in random files.

numtini
Feb 7, 2010
I'm on the opposite side. I've been using it as my daily driver at work for over a month and it's progressively gotten worse for me. The 10130 crashed and burned. First Outlook wouldn't connect to the Exchange server. I flailed around on that one and finally solved it by adding a wins server to the configuration. Then I needed to open a 7zip archive and tried to install that. Got a "installation in progress" error that I worked on for a couple of hours and eventually gave up and did a clean Windows 7 install.

I think I was on the beta of 7 both at home and at work for six months without any issues. I just don't see this as near ready for prime time a month from now. Doubly unready for those people who are going to push the button on a 3 or 4 year old Windows 7 install.

Mapparu
Sep 22, 2013

I hope it is okay to post here but, does anyone have a good idea where I could get Windows 10 on a Live CD? If it exists, I mean. TIA.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Mapparu posted:

I hope it is okay to post here but, does anyone have a good idea where I could get Windows 10 on a Live CD? If it exists, I mean. TIA.

It exists; it's called Windows To Go and is an Enterprise feature. I'm not sure what it'd do for you (as presumably a private user) that, say, a VM wouldn't.

Mapparu
Sep 22, 2013

Yeah. I am a private user. Thank you anyways!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Could someone explain this to me:

Here’s how to get Windows 10 for free even if you don’t have Windows 7 or 8
And you'll need to take action if you want to keep getting Windows betas.

http://arstechnica.com/information-...+All+content%29

Maybe I've been working too much lately but I can't get my head around this - if you're running Windows 10 at the moment, like 10130, does that mean you'll get a Windows 10 license for W10 Pro even if you don't have 7 or 8.1?

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Could someone explain this to me:

Here’s how to get Windows 10 for free even if you don’t have Windows 7 or 8
And you'll need to take action if you want to keep getting Windows betas.

http://arstechnica.com/information-...+All+content%29

Maybe I've been working too much lately but I can't get my head around this - if you're running Windows 10 at the moment, like 10130, does that mean you'll get a Windows 10 license for W10 Pro even if you don't have 7 or 8.1?

quote:

Windows Insiders running the Windows 10 Insider Preview (Home and Pro editions) with their registered MSA connected to their PC will receive the final release build of Windows 10 starting on July 29th. This will come as just another flight. I’ve gotten a lot of questions from Windows Insiders about how this will work if they clean installed from ISO. As long as you are running an Insider Preview build and connected with the MSA you used to register, you will receive the Windows 10 final release build and remain activated. Once you have successfully installed this build and activated, you will also be able to clean install on that PC from final media if you want to start over fresh.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Lowtechs posted:

Windows Insiders running the Windows 10 Insider Preview (Home and Pro editions) with their registered MSA connected to their PC will receive the final release build of Windows 10 starting on July 29th. This will come as just another flight. I’ve gotten a lot of questions from Windows Insiders about how this will work if they clean installed from ISO. As long as you are running an Insider Preview build and connected with the MSA you used to register, you will receive the Windows 10 final release build and remain activated. Once you have successfully installed this build and activated, you will also be able to clean install on that PC from final media if you want to start over fresh.

See, I asked about something like this a few pages back and was told no one was getting this for free. Basically my mum is on Windows 8.1 Core, and I'd like her to have Windows 10 Pro to get BitLocker, especially since it's a laptop.

So if I installed Windows 10 build 10130 on her laptop and logged in with her Microsoft Account, she'd be able to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro?

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

See, I asked about something like this a few pages back and was told no one was getting this for free. Basically my mum is on Windows 8.1 Core, and I'd like her to have Windows 10 Pro to get BitLocker, especially since it's a laptop.

So if I installed Windows 10 build 10130 on her laptop and logged in with her Microsoft Account, she'd be able to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro?

This info just showed up in Notifications just this evening and according to what I posted yes.

Edit http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

Lowtechs fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 20, 2015

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Lowtechs posted:

This info just showed up in Notifications just this evening and according to what I posted yes.

Edit http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

Oh OK then, cool. Her laptop is currently fooked - the screen isn't working. I've logged into my own desktop machine with her Microsoft Account in 10130. Will I need to install 10130 (or whatever build) on the laptop itself to get her access to her own copy of Windows 10 Pro? I'm really sorry to be pedantic but I really want BitLocker on that laptop and I'd rather not have to pay the ludicrous fee for Home to Pro.

Oh, additional complaining on search in 10. Start10 lists search results as expected, such as the most obvious local search results first, instead of a dictionary match inside a file, or a web search. In one sense that's encouraging since it's likely just a UI tweak Microsoft needs to make to sort out search. On the other hand, it's just a slight UI change - why hasn't it been changed already? Do all the MS testers really want web and random local results first before relevant local results?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 20, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Oh OK then, cool. Her laptop is currently fooked - the screen isn't working. I've logged into my own desktop machine with her Microsoft Account in 10130. Will I need to install 10130 (or whatever build) on the laptop itself to get her access to her own copy of Windows 10 Pro? I'm really sorry to be pedantic but I really want BitLocker on that laptop and I'd rather not have to pay the ludicrous fee for Home to Pro.

Why are you so insistent on BitLocker on her laptop?

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Oh OK then, cool. Her laptop is currently fooked - the screen isn't working. I've logged into my own desktop machine with her Microsoft Account in 10130. Will I need to install 10130 (or whatever build) on the laptop itself to get her access to her own copy of Windows 10 Pro?

Yes you need to install 10130 and activate it (using the Insider key and MS account) on her laptop.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

Why are you so insistent on BitLocker on her laptop?

Security basically. If someone nabs her laptop I don't want them accessing anything.

Lowtechs posted:

Yes you need to install 10130 and activate it (using the Insider key and MS account) on her laptop.

Maybe time to hook it up to a desktop monitor. Cheers.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
It's been a while since I had the TP installed, but is there still not option to review/preview updates when running consumer Win10? Last I read the only way to avoid having all updates immediately pushed/installed was to be on a domain with WSUS managing updates. Is that the case or is it up for grabs still?

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
Anyone have an issue where they can't log in to the Xbox app or the Microsoft store? It was working fine last night but all of a sudden logged me out and now when I try to log in to either it will not let me.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

If I'm reading this correctly, I could jump to the Insider build of Win10 then give my Windows 8 key to my wife so she could get on Win10 and everyone wins?

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Irritated Goat posted:

If I'm reading this correctly, I could jump to the Insider build of Win10 then give my Windows 8 key to my wife so she could get on Win10 and everyone wins?

That is how it reads to me.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've been on holidays for the last couple weeks and just returned to see I indeed have that upgrade button in my system tray.

I definitely want to do it, but I would prefer to do to a fresh/clean install and not do a windows update install.

Is there an option to "reserve" a copy of Windows 10 and not download it in the background? How long is this offer supposed to be around? I also read about "limited time" - any idea when the offer is going to go away?

Thanks

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The "limited time" is supposed to be one year from the release date.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Where did you read "limited time" that did not also tell you it was available for a year?

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Lowtechs posted:

Looks like they edited the blog post at some point today, it doesn't say what it used to say anymore.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Diviance posted:

Looks like they edited the blog post at some point today, it doesn't say what it used to say anymore.

What way changed?

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What way changed?

From

Microsoft posted:

“As long as you are running an Insider Preview build and connected with the MSA you used to register, you will receive the Windows 10 final release build and remain activated. Once you have successfully installed this build and activated, you will also be able to clean install on that PC from final media if you want to start over fresh.”

to

Microsoft posted:

Windows Insiders running the Windows 10 Insider Preview (Home and Pro editions) with their registered MSA connected to their PC will receive the final release build of Windows 10 starting on July 29th. This will come as just another flight. I’ve gotten a lot of questions from Windows Insiders about how this will work if they clean installed from ISO. As long as you are running an Insider Preview build and connected with the MSA you used to register, you will receive the Windows 10 final release build. Once you have successfully installed this build, you will also be able to clean install on that PC from final media if you want to start over fresh. It’s important to note that only people running Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1can upgrade to Windows 10 as part of the free upgrade offer.*

It no longer specifically says that people using the Insider Preview will remain activated when upgrading to the final release and that they will be able to continue activating it if they do a fresh install later.

It doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't work that way, I am just skeptical.

Diviance fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 21, 2015

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

This has just confused me more. My brain does not parse this stuff well. I clean installed Windows 10 Pro build 10130 on a laptop last night. Will I get a W10 Pro license free for that machine when RTM hits?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Does the preview upgrade also mean that I could upgrade my existing 8.1 Home to 10 Pro if I install the preview instead of waiting for the normal update?

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Okay so who is the goon that works for MS and is reading this thread and told them to make this change? Curses foiled again. :doom:

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

This has just confused me more. My brain does not parse this stuff well. I clean installed Windows 10 Pro build 10130 on a laptop last night. Will I get a W10 Pro license free for that machine when RTM hits?

According to the new language I would say no. It seems you will now need a key for Windows 7 or 8.1 (and MS dude reading this thread I assume a Windows 8 key would work too might want to update the blog post to clarify that :kheldragar: ) to activate Windows 10 RTM if you have the insider preview.

Lowtechs fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jun 21, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That laptop would more than likely have a Windows OEM license though, so as long as you can still read the key or it is baked into the BIOS you should be fine.

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014
Is it still worth it to move to 8.1 from Windows 7 now? Is windows 10 coming out like in August or September? Because I'm having some bugs that I really don't know how to fix and maybe moving to 8.1 will be better, also speeds up my booting (which is already good) time, but yeah I really don't know at this point if I should just wait for Windows 10 to come out, counting that it will probably still have bugs when it is officially released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

NyxBiker posted:

Is windows 10 coming out like in August or September?

C'mon man

• Locked thread