Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

evilmiera posted:

Ahah! Found out I hadn't actually bought all the cards from Harviken's innkeeper, and he had a load of Monster cards to offload on me that completed my set. Except now I've not a single NPC to play Gwent against that I don't completely stomp :(

Ah Gwent, the original pay-to-win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I just saw a whale in the bay outside Rannvaig. :stare:

Gave me quite a jolt. How does he even fit in there? Pretty drat cool moment, though.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Is my quest marker for the side quest "Follow(ing) the Thread" bugged? The marker for the part where you go to Faroe and look for Hammond is just taking me to whatever fast travel sign post is closest.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is there a way to quickly switch through signs in the Witcher 3?

If you're using kb+m you can use the number keys.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Beastie posted:

Is my quest marker for the side quest "Follow(ing) the Thread" bugged? The marker for the part where you go to Faroe and look for Hammond is just taking me to whatever fast travel sign post is closest.

This happens when the quest you're tracking takes place in another section of the game. ie the quest is in Skellige but you're in Velen/Novigrad.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm assuming getting in the boat doing nothing is the bug people have been talking about for the djinn sidequest in Skellige. Is there a way to fix it?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

CJacobs posted:

I'm assuming getting in the boat doing nothing is the bug people have been talking about for the djinn sidequest in Skellige. Is there a way to fix it?

It's not a bug, you have to sit down opposite Yen to get going. (There should be a tooltip for this though)

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
The best armor is level 2 Cat because Geralt gets a nice comfy sweater :3:

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Glukeose posted:

Re: Music, I was a tad disappointed that Priscilla's song from the Kingfisher wasn't on the game's soundtrack. It was actually rather pleasant to listen to.

At least until Elsa decided to start making trouble.

She sure is a fuckin' ingrate. Throwing around words like "murder" when not only did you interrupt what might have been her murder, but you only killed those shitlords in self-defense. :mad:

Related: it's astounding how many random loser peasants and/or street thugs think they can beat up or kill a witcher.

Carol Pizzamom posted:

The best armor is level 2 Cat because Geralt gets a nice comfy sweater :3:

Sleeveless Geralt, best Geralt.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I've got a friend who decided to play entirely with Geralt shirtless and with the loose Fabio hair.

As far as I'm concerned, this is canon. :swoon:

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
I'm really digging Skellige. That whole sequence of sailing out to the Undvik and exploring to piece together what happened to Hjalmar is just amazing.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

neongrey posted:

I've got a friend who decided to play entirely with Geralt shirtless and with the loose Fabio hair.

As far as I'm concerned, this is canon. :swoon:

lol I was just thinking I might try that exact thing on my next playthrough. The Witcher Hunk Challenge.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Just finished the game. I find it odd they decided to do some inverse difficulty in fighting the Hunt generals. Imlerith was the hardest for me, followed by Eredin, then Caranthir.

PRO TIP: When Caranthir summons ice elementals, but them between you and Caranthir. When Caranthir shoots ice balls at you, they all hit the ice elementals and will two shot them.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well, just beat the game. Took me about 100 hours on the next hardest difficulty, and I didn't explore all of Skellige since I'm not a big fan of diving or boat exploration.

After finishing, my feelings are thus:

- This is probably one of the best sets of stories I've played in recent memory. It is up there with Planescape Torment in terms of how complex and deep it is, in terms of how varied its characters are and how much genuine emotion and feeling it conveys. And as a notoriously nitpicky individual, I can only recall 2 times that I felt there was a possible flaw in the story : When the Wild Hunt general at that giant oak decided to fight you alone despite knowing you were coming and having the time to call for reinforcements, which seems a massive flaw when he also expected that his target, Ciri, was going to be nearby, and Philippa transforming into an owl in the middle of the streets of Novigrad, a city known for burning mages at the stake (was she expecting to outfly the arrows of the local guard/witchhunters? Seems a weird risk to take, not to mention it might get the locals riled up enough to go hunting for more mages again). .

-The combat system is a bit floaty and uneven, but is varied enough that I never grew bored with fights, even when I was massively overpowered I had fun experimenting with different powers and attacks. A lot of stuff you encounter in the game that you can use in and out of combat becomes redundant however, once you hit a certain level. On lower levels food was my main source of HP, whereas later it is all about potions and special skills. Things might be slightly different on the highest difficulty though.

-The levelling system is not all that great, especially since you get XP based on difficulty of the things you kill or complete, meaning if you come upon enemies at the wrong time or find quests when you're overleveled, you might find the level process slow to a crawl. This can be avoided by some intelligent choosing of quests and grinding, but this also makes the game a lot more linear. That gear tables are linked to your levels, more or less, means you're also discouraged from exploring when you have a good enough set of gear, avoiding treasures until you've leveled a bit to gain more gold or useful stuff.

- The inventory system and map badly need an overhaul, and if CD's history is any indication, this might get fiddled with in an enhanced edition or when the DLC packs come out.

- The game is pretty, though not as pretty as it should be, but again, enhanced edition fixes and mods might alter that. It wasn't optimized at launch, and crashed constantly, but several patches have mostly fixed all that. The environs you can explore are mostly amazing, detailed and immersive, though Velen is a boring set of boring villages and boring swamps and boring woods. I know that's the feeling they're trying to go for too, that the place is a drab awful place torn up by war, but since I spent most of my early game there before I grew wise to how the level system works, it could be dissuading to new players, like the Hinterlands in Dragon Age. The setpieces and cutscenes in the main story were almost all top notch stuff and beats Mass Effect easy.

- Gwent is loving amazingly addictive and if I hadn't already bought the DLC pass I would buy Gwent expansion sets if that was all they were producing. The only step missing would be something like a standalone Gwent Multiplayer App. I had more fun playing this than I did Magic or Heartstone. That flute music (you know the one) is now stuck forever in my brain and I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

evilmiera posted:

Well, just beat the game. Took me about 100 hours on the next hardest difficulty, and I didn't explore all of Skellige since I'm not a big fan of diving or boat exploration.

After finishing, my feelings are thus:

- This is probably one of the best sets of stories I've played in recent memory. It is up there with Planescape Torment in terms of how complex and deep it is, in terms of how varied its characters are and how much genuine emotion and feeling it conveys. And as a notoriously nitpicky individual, I can only recall 2 times that I felt there was a possible flaw in the story : When the Wild Hunt general at that giant oak decided to fight you alone despite knowing you were coming and having the time to call for reinforcements, which seems a massive flaw when he also expected that his target, Ciri, was going to be nearby, and Philippa transforming into an owl in the middle of the streets of Novigrad, a city known for burning mages at the stake (was she expecting to outfly the arrows of the local guard/witchhunters? Seems a weird risk to take, not to mention it might get the locals riled up enough to go hunting for more mages again). .

-The combat system is a bit floaty and uneven, but is varied enough that I never grew bored with fights, even when I was massively overpowered I had fun experimenting with different powers and attacks. A lot of stuff you encounter in the game that you can use in and out of combat becomes redundant however, once you hit a certain level. On lower levels food was my main source of HP, whereas later it is all about potions and special skills. Things might be slightly different on the highest difficulty though.

-The levelling system is not all that great, especially since you get XP based on difficulty of the things you kill or complete, meaning if you come upon enemies at the wrong time or find quests when you're overleveled, you might find the level process slow to a crawl. This can be avoided by some intelligent choosing of quests and grinding, but this also makes the game a lot more linear. That gear tables are linked to your levels, more or less, means you're also discouraged from exploring when you have a good enough set of gear, avoiding treasures until you've leveled a bit to gain more gold or useful stuff.

- The inventory system and map badly need an overhaul, and if CD's history is any indication, this might get fiddled with in an enhanced edition or when the DLC packs come out.

- The game is pretty, though not as pretty as it should be, but again, enhanced edition fixes and mods might alter that. It wasn't optimized at launch, and crashed constantly, but several patches have mostly fixed all that. The environs you can explore are mostly amazing, detailed and immersive, though Velen is a boring set of boring villages and boring swamps and boring woods. I know that's the feeling they're trying to go for too, that the place is a drab awful place torn up by war, but since I spent most of my early game there before I grew wise to how the level system works, it could be dissuading to new players, like the Hinterlands in Dragon Age. The setpieces and cutscenes in the main story were almost all top notch stuff and beats Mass Effect easy.

- Gwent is loving amazingly addictive and if I hadn't already bought the DLC pass I would buy Gwent expansion sets if that was all they were producing. The only step missing would be something like a standalone Gwent Multiplayer App. I had more fun playing this than I did Magic or Heartstone. That flute music (you know the one) is now stuck forever in my brain and I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

I have 0 minutes played in Gwent :smug:

I to just finished. I got what is arguably the best, happiest ending, but Did you also feel a little sad afterwards? Ciri learned Geralt's tricks and took off on her own to be a witcher. Yennifer hosed off somewhere, so did Triss. Geralt starts off again inside Kaer Morhen all alone :( In that cavernous empty keep with Vesemir dead, Eskel and Lambert gone and likely never returning.

It's kinda sad.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Uhh Velen is great though?

Skellige had some cool landscapes but this game looks best with dense foliage and big, rolling fields of grass blowing in the wind in the middle of giant forests and swamps. The Crones' swamp in the early morning is probably the best looking environment I've ever seen in a game.

I love the low key fantasy setting and Velen really sells the idea of Witchers as actual professional travelling monster hunters. Also the Bloody Baron/Crones questline was probably my favorite part of the game.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I have 0 minutes played in Gwent :smug:

I to just finished. I got what is arguably the best, happiest ending, but Did you also feel a little sad afterwards? Ciri learned Geralt's tricks and took off on her own to be a witcher. Yennifer hosed off somewhere, so did Triss. Geralt starts off again inside Kaer Morhen all alone :( In that cavernous empty keep with Vesemir dead, Eskel and Lambert gone and likely never returning.

It's kinda sad.

Your mileage may vary on what is actually "best". For me the Empress ending is definitely better than becoming a witcher. But I've read others make a case otherwise too, and they have good points as well. I think those two are the good endings and it's up to you which you think is best for Ciri (and for Geralt).

But if you romance Yen, you'll retire together and for me it's the best ending for Geralt.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Ending chat: outside of that one (bad?) ending where Geralt goes off to die, is there no way to go after the crone that survived?

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I would love to beat this game but it constantly crashes. Whenever it loads in something it is a gamble that it might crash right then and there. This including loading conversations, streaming in textures, new areas, new enemies on the horizon, more civilians in novigrad. God drat novigrad is a sure thing for a crash if I dare load up the game there.

God drat it CDP, I just want to do some witchering!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Davoren posted:

Ending chat: outside of that one (bad?) ending where Geralt goes off to die, is there no way to go after the crone that survived?

Nope. But really, you've crippled all their operations and freed those they had enslaved, more or less.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

evilmiera posted:

With the general at the top of the oak, if you tell him Ciri's there too, he implies he was looking forward to the fight. Might explain why he wanted to fight you alone.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Just polished it off myself. Got the ending where Ciri becomes empress, Geralt and Yen retire and just live out their lives together. It really highlighted how lovely Djikstra's plan was all things considered. Nilfgaard wins the war and the resistance just pisses him off enough he grants Temeria back to the people. Kind of bittersweet overall but it seemed like that's what the story was all about. Ciri had to grow up and Geralt had to let her and let go. It's just life

Now I'm not sure what to do with myself. I have no idea what my time was but I've been playing it since release so it must be up there. There is just so much game to play and I still want more.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Azazell0 posted:

Your mileage may vary on what is actually "best". For me the Empress ending is definitely better than becoming a witcher. But I've read others make a case otherwise too, and they have good points as well. I think those two are the good endings and it's up to you which you think is best for Ciri (and for Geralt).

But if you romance Yen, you'll retire together and for me it's the best ending for Geralt.

There are two obvious ways of looking at it, imo - the Empress ending is probably what's best for the Continent in the long run, but the Witcher ending is best for Ciri's personal happiness. Geralt would probably prefer the Witcher ending as well, since he spends a lot more time with Ciri that way and tends to not give a poo poo who owns what land. And after seeing in my first ending that he gets to retire to a quiet life with Yen, I don't think I have the heart to go with Triss or, worse, neither.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Levantine posted:

Just polished it off myself. Got the ending where Ciri becomes empress, Geralt and Yen retire and just live out their lives together. It really highlighted how lovely Djikstra's plan was all things considered. Nilfgaard wins the war and the resistance just pisses him off enough he grants Temeria back to the people. Kind of bittersweet overall but it seemed like that's what the story was all about. Ciri had to grow up and Geralt had to let her and let go. It's just life

Now I'm not sure what to do with myself. I have no idea what my time was but I've been playing it since release so it must be up there. There is just so much game to play and I still want more.

I just finished the main quest last night after doing every side quest I could. There are still 92 question marks on my map, but I still don't have that much interest in them because they are all in the ocean in Skellige and the boating is as boring as Wind Waker's was. I guess I'll just play gwent until I get super bored.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Davoren posted:

In the ending sequences Ciri has the wolf medallion hanging from her belt again. I guess they went and kicked her rear end off camera.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Pot Of Shoe posted:

I just finished the main quest last night after doing every side quest I could. There are still 92 question marks on my map, but I still don't have that much interest in them because they are all in the ocean in Skellige and the boating is as boring as Wind Waker's was. I guess I'll just play gwent until I get super bored.

I had a much better time when I turned off markers. I explored when I wanted to and didn't when I didn't. I found lots of random stuff boating the outer islands of Skellige that never have PoI's too. Not necessarily rewarding, but cool stuff all the same.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
I could handle playing without markers if the map had some fog of war, but as is it's hard enough to tell where you have and haven't been. I wish it was like Skyrim where you could have multiple quests active and see all the markers simultaneously--I think it'd make playing without fast travel more feasible. Also, the ability to zoom out the map further, because at least on PS4 you can see maybe a quarter of Ard Skellige on the widest zoom before being dumped to the world map

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Caconym posted:

In the ending sequences Ciri has the wolf medallion hanging from her belt again. I guess they went and kicked her rear end off camera.

She always has one on her belt, Vesemir's she hangs around her neck.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Walrus Pete posted:

There are two obvious ways of looking at it, imo - the Empress ending is probably what's best for the Continent in the long run, but the Witcher ending is best for Ciri's personal happiness. Geralt would probably prefer the Witcher ending as well, since he spends a lot more time with Ciri that way and tends to not give a poo poo who owns what land. And after seeing in my first ending that he gets to retire to a quiet life with Yen, I don't think I have the heart to go with Triss or, worse, neither.

It all depends on how you look at it. She might be happier with that ending, directly, but the mark of what some might consider a good father is not just to make your child happy, but responsible and grown up, taking their own path instead of just aping yours though she does choose a different Path even as a witcher, the difference isn't that big. . Maybe taking the less prestige-filled route might make her resentful or frustrated with how little change she can press on the world as a mere monsterhunter, much like what Geralt has to deal with constantly. I got the feeling when I went for the empress route this was her motivation for accepting the deal in the first place, sounding sort of like Lambert did when he expressed frustration with the life he'd been given . It is a sort of bittersweet ending since you recognize that you will have to spend less time together, but she will still call, once in a while. You brought her up, instilled all your hopes in her and let her do as she felt was best, and now it is her turn to make something unexpected out of that. .

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
end: I kind of imagine that, witcher path or not, she'll end up empress one day anyway if emhyr lives.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Another ending question: if I do everything for Ciri to become empress, but let Djikstra kill Roche and company, does she just become a witcher leaving Emhyr to his fate at the hands of Djikstra and Redania?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

CVagts posted:

Another ending question: if I do everything for Ciri to become empress, but let Djikstra kill Roche and company, does she just become a witcher leaving Emhyr to his fate at the hands of Djikstra and Redania?

Yes. Emhyr doesn't get killed by Dijkstra/Radovid if you let either of them rule the north. He's assassinated by nilfgaardian nobles and merchants that are taking advantage of the lack of success in the war.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Walrus Pete posted:

(ending) And after seeing in my first ending that he gets to retire to a quiet life with Yen, I don't think I have the heart to go with Triss or, worse, neither.

Ending chat: You also get to retire to a quiet life with Triss. You live in a baller house that always smells like freshly baked bread and take on witcher contracts whenever you get bored. Triss is rich as hell and is your personal medic/sugar momma.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Ending chat: You also get to retire to a quiet life with Triss. You live in a baller house that always smells like freshly baked bread and take on witcher contracts whenever you get bored. Triss is rich as hell and is your personal medic/sugar momma.

How do?

I don't know that I have another play through in me. I might just try to do everything I can until the expansions come out.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 21, 2015

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Uhhh....by romancing Triss??

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I didn't ever see that many options or chances to,mother than kissing her at a fountain.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
White Orchid exploration music is also baller, and not included in the soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGrmJJqmmtk

Some of the best exploration music from Witcher 1 was also missing from that soundtrack, really annoying.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

King Bahamut posted:

I could handle playing without markers if the map had some fog of war, but as is it's hard enough to tell where you have and haven't been. I wish it was like Skyrim where you could have multiple quests active and see all the markers simultaneously--I think it'd make playing without fast travel more feasible. Also, the ability to zoom out the map further, because at least on PS4 you can see maybe a quarter of Ard Skellige on the widest zoom before being dumped to the world map

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i just wish inns and merchants stayed on the map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Blue Raider posted:

i just wish inns and merchants stayed on the map

Also barbers.