Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Also, if any of you guys are seriously interested in coming down to the sunny south for the airshow, you might want to check into this:

http://southernalbertacrimestoppers.com/raffle-tickets/

Only 550 tickets, so the odds are not too shabby

3 for $50 are unsurprisingly gone, but tickets are a reasonable $20 each

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Crooked creek donuts. Worth the drive.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

That is definitely a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Doesn't mention that it's once in the Albatros' lifetime, but still...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I bought some tickets. I'd be giddy happy with either for sure.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Truck talk: My Nissan Frontier has done exactly everything I have asked of it plus a little bit more. I can even park it comfortably in the underground parking next to BC Place. It is everything a person needs in a truck that doesn't have a 54' 5th wheel to haul or a 27' boat.

Having said that I hate trucks larger than a 1/2 ton unless there is a legit reason why you need it. But I can be unreasonable about this kind of thing, so grain of salt.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 19, 2015

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

MustardFacial posted:

Truck talk: My Nissan Frontier has done exactly everything I have asked of it plus a little bit more. I can even park it comfortably in the underground parking next to BC Place. It is everything a person needs in a truck that doesn't have a 54' 5th wheel to haul or a 27' boat.

Having said that I hate trucks larger than a 1/2 ton unless there is a legit reason why you need it. But I can be unreasonable about this kind of thing, so grain of salt.

My tacoma was the same, honestly. But when it came time to get a new truck (in Salty-assed Ontario) I had my choices of:

a) Older used Tacoma/Ranger with horrible rust cancer, still 10k
b) Newer'ish used Tacoma for 23k
c) Same year Tundra for 27k with less miles, more room, and not a lot different gas mileage

I'd actual prefer a Tacoma/Frontier, but there's no Nissan's around here, and Tacoma's command a huuuuuuge premium (hunters and fishermen love the poo poo out of them).

Its large, its red, and its great, but I really do wish I could have found a Tacoma again for a reasonable price.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

MustardFacial posted:

But other than weight, a 1/2T and a 1T are generally about the same size so what's the difference? :confused:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Frontiers have always struck me as the "almost good enough" truck. They seem to carry a premium over a Ranger regardless, despite being a slightly more fragile truck with more expensive parts.

Paid a compliment last night to a dude with a dropped 90s Tacoma. God drat that truck is pretty close to perfect.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

slidebite posted:

But other than weight, a 1/2T and a 1T are generally about the same size so what's the difference? :confused:

Which mid-size trucks are the same size between 1/2t and 1t?

I say midsize because the Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Tundra, Titan start out way too big at 1/2t.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm falling in love with my Ranger, so I guess I'm on the side of the cute little compact trucks. But, Cheryl, our work truck (2007 F150 extended cab 4x4), is also pretty great. On the way to the site this morning my coworker/future coauthor told me she really likes Cheryl and wants to get a HUUUUGE truck with a portable living room for the back seat for herself. She's about five-foot-nothin', and is from Spain, so I found this morning's conversation hilarious. The tailgate latch release is about at eye-level for her, and she uses the 4WD like she's afraid of the dark magic it conceals.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MustardFacial posted:

Which mid-size trucks are the same size between 1/2t and 1t?

I say midsize because the Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Tundra, Titan start out way too big at 1/2t.

But a mid-size isn't a 1/2 ton. sure the payload capacity is probably 1/2 a ton, but trucks in the "1/2 ton" class have payloads up to 1 1/2 tons.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Powershift posted:

But a mid-size isn't a 1/2 ton. sure the payload capacity is probably 1/2 a ton, but trucks in the "1/2 ton" class have payloads up to 1 1/2 tons.

And are also twice as big as they should be, and are "bro truck bait", and I'm being unreasonable because of my own blind rage towards anything that appeals to alpha-male jerkoffs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

And kids wear their pants way too low :argh:

Other things that appeal to alpha male jerk-offs: sports cars, supercars, hot dogs, mad max and women. Hating something because people you don't like enjoy it is like a 12 year old making GBS threads on modern music because it's played on *the radio*

Any modern half ton can fit a pallet between the wheel wells, and a queen size mattress flat in the back. build a cab to match the cargo space and you can comfortably seat 5 adults. Then let people choose any 2 of "interior space", "cargo space", and "first in all parking spots" and you have the modern half ton.

Think of it like gluten free food. A whole bunch of people buying it who don't need it(hippies), makes it far better, more readily available, and cheaper for those who do(celiacs).

If most people didn't have, or know a friend who has a pickup to move basic stuff around, there would be a huge market for "white van mans" like in UK, and all those crazy assholes in corolla taxis would instead be in 5000lb topheavy vans driving around like lunatics delivering people's stuff.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

1/2t as in F150, K1500, etc. Same overall sizes (more or less) as an F350 or k2500hd or whatever.

I too dislike the whole bro truck thing where every other Cummins and powersmoke is owned by a sister loving inbred hick, but I am also glad I don't have to justify a "need" for a vehicle to own it, because then everyone would be stuck driving an Aveo or Micra or maybe a Chinese scooter.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

You really can't hate somebody just for owning a half ton. If you need the space for moving something its handy, and there are fairly obvious visual cues as to whether its a bro truck or not.

The problem is soccer moms rocking a diesel F250 decked out in chrome with an extended cab and long box that is using it to pick up some milk and bread. Those are the ones I prejudge.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

1500quidporsche posted:

The problem is soccer moms rocking a diesel F250 decked out in chrome with an extended cab and long box that is using it to pick up some milk and bread. Those are the ones I prejudge.
To be fair, bought by rig pig husband but ownership is justified so they can tow the 35' toy hauler with 2 quads and a harley.

Also financed out the rear end and wife will probably leave him when everything gets repo'd.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

slidebite posted:

To be fair, bought by rig pig husband but ownership is justified so they can tow the 35' toy hauler with 2 quads and a harley.

Also financed out the rear end and wife will probably leave him when everything gets repo'd.

Yeah that's where I start to have a problem.

My '86 GMC safari can technically tow 5,000lbs if you throw a tranny cooler on it and hook up trailer brakes. You really don't need a F350 or a huge rear end trailer to haul a couple of quads and a dirt bike.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My f-150 is rated for 9300lbs, and my F250 on a trailer was juuuuust squeaking under that. If i didn't have a truck capable of pulling it, i couldn't have bought it

I can move whatever i own wherever i need to move it reguardless of it's mechanical state, i can buy whatever at auction and drag it wherever it needs to go. The non-runner lane in any auction in north america is now an interesting adventure instead of a math problem.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Powershift posted:

And kids wear their pants way too low :argh:

Other things that appeal to alpha male jerk-offs: sports cars, supercars, hot dogs, mad max and women. Hating something because people you don't like enjoy it is like a 12 year old making GBS threads on modern music because it's played on *the radio*
Oh I'm well aware of how much of a stupid baby I am about this. It's a ludicrous blanket opinion to have, and I'll probably just stop mentioning it entirely.

1500quidporsche posted:

You really can't hate somebody just for owning a half ton. If you need the space for moving something its handy, and there are fairly obvious visual cues as to whether its a bro truck or not.

Literally every truck I see on the road that is not mine, or an obvious work truck is an F250/Ram 3500 diesel with a 2' (yes, foot) lift kit, 355 mud boggers, Some type of XD Series wheels, smoke stacks, truck nuts, chrome bush bar/roll bar, a "BC Coal Rollers" decal, whatever the gently caress this decal is:

and then any one of these:

a) Iron Cross decal
b) Confederate flag
c) Camo print trim somewhere
d) some sort of UFC branding (Affliction, Tapout, Bad Boy, etc)
e) all of the above

I am serious when I say it is every truck.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 19, 2015

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah that's where I start to have a problem.

My '86 GMC safari can technically tow 5,000lbs if you throw a tranny cooler on it and hook up trailer brakes. You really don't need a F350 or a huge rear end trailer to haul a couple of quads and a dirt bike.

I'm not sure you know what a toy hauler is.

It's an RV trailer with a drop gate "garage" in the back. Popular around here with hunters that make camp for a week or so off the grid, as well as some racers. You can bring you quad/car with you as well as have a living space. Most of the nice ones have a pass-through from the inside of the RV and you can prop the gate straight out and use it as a porch.

They are heavy. Especially when loaded with provisions and a car and poo poo.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Motronic posted:

I'm not sure you know what a toy hauler is.

It's an RV trailer with a drop gate "garage" in the back. Popular around here with hunters that make camp for a week or so off the grid, as well as some racers. You can bring you quad/car with you as well as have a living space. Most of the nice ones have a pass-through from the inside of the RV and you can prop the gate straight out and use it as a porch.

They are heavy. Especially when loaded with provisions and a car and poo poo.

At the last michener allen auction, there was a little 14 foot toyhauler, it was the cutest thing ever.

It looked like this

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

MustardFacial posted:

whatever the gently caress this decal is:

and then any one of these:

a) Iron Cross decal
b) Confederate flag
c) Camo print trim somewhere
d) some sort of UFC branding (Affliction, Tapout, Bad Boy, etc)
e) all of the above

That's a Browning decal. I am not exactly sure what the genesis of the current infatuation with it is either. As a shooter and owner, my experience with them has been pretty solidly average at best. :shrug:

Where the hell do you live where it is literally every truck?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

slidebite posted:

That's a Browning decal. I am not exactly sure what the genesis of the current infatuation with it is either. As a shooter and owner, my experience with them has been pretty solidly average at best. :shrug:

The (american) South. His description is pretty drat accurate for my area, and while "literally every truck" is hyperbole, it is seriously more than 65% of them.

Especially ones with that loving Browning decal. If we just count trucks with that sticker, it's more like 85-90%. It's like the inbred sister-fucker version of the Monster Energy stickers.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 19, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

slidebite posted:

Like the gun manufacturer? I guess I shouldn't really be surprised.

I live in Langley, BC. A once small town that has within the last 5 years exploded into suburbia and due to the skyrocketing housing prices west of the Fraser River, and the ever-increasing dangerousness of Surrey, Langley has become the haven for every middle-upper middle class, white, weekend warrior, no personality fuckface*. Bro trucks are real popular with these types for whatever reason.

Terrible Robot posted:

The (american) South. His description is pretty drat accurate for my area, and while "literally every truck" is hyperbole, it is seriously more than 65% of them.

Especially ones with that loving Browning decal. If we just count trucks with that sticker, it's more like 85-90%. It's like the inbred sister-fucker version of the Monster Energy stickers.

I took a drive to get some lunch and I actually counted the bro truck to non bro truck ratio. out of 65 trucks on the road, 44 were some form of bro truck (I'm counting some sort of lift and tires/wheels as bare minimum). It wasn't "literally every truck" like I thought, but it was 60-70% of them. Stock trucks are practically invisible to me.

Oh yeah the monster energy stickers are just as bad as the browning ones.

*I'm not a lot of fun at parties.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Change of topic, rattlers in lethbridge
https://youtu.be/8vbQaNQwHnI

I gotta meet this guy

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

MustardFacial posted:

whatever the gently caress this decal is:

Alberta's rednecks are all huge fans of House Baratheon.

Which reminds me, I need to stick a golden kraken on my Volvo.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Browning is straight up legit and makes some of the best looking and functional firearms available today in addition to being a worldwide leader in firearms design and production over the past century and I'll loving cut anyone who says otherwise

edit: it's extremely unfortunate that their brand image is so popular with losers but don't hold that against the ghost of JMB PBUH

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Browning sticker is the male version of the roxy sticker.

I built this bro truck for my friend the other week. I'm sick of driveway liftkit installs. On a side note, I switched to a 360ft-lb rated electric impact from air. I don't think I'll go back.

Edit: That's me on the right.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Nice install. There's an old man on my block who keeps flipping Fords; one week he was installing a lift kit in a truck and the next week he was removing a lift kit from a different truck and parting it out. Wish he'd put a manual bricknose up for sale one day.

What impact are you using?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

jonathan posted:

Egads. :monocle:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's all part of the homosexual code. No fear means you're down for anything, DC shoes means you're into foot stuff.

In that context, browning means exactly what you think it does.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

What does rolling coal mean? Do I even want to know what it means?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Rolling coal means mis-tuning and messing with a diesel engine so it blows enormous quantities of black exhaust. It does terrible things to fuel economy, increases air pollution, and probably shortens the working lifespan of the engine.

The idiotic assholes who do this deliberately to their trucks are fond of re-routing the exhaust to blow sideways from their lifted trucks. This way they can blow toxic poo poo directly into the faces of people they don't like, such as cyclists, other drivers (especially drivers of convertibles), pedestrians, etc. etc. Coal-rollers are the reason I wish limpet mines were legal.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrChips posted:

What does rolling coal mean? Do I even want to know what it means?

Well, it's a dysfunction of the equipment of the truck.....

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What impact are you using?

Just a Canadian Tire Maximum that was discounted from $250 to $99. Is it better than a good air impact ? Likely no, but it's a good warranty and I don't need to hear my compressor going. Also then I can use the air ratchet on the airline and not swap back and forth.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

Well, it's a dysfunction of the equipment of the truck.....

If he's got something seeping from the tip of his injector you can also expect a bit of discharge out the back. Minimum 8 ply rubber recommended.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

jonathan posted:

Just a Canadian Tire Maximum that was discounted from $250 to $99. Is it better than a good air impact ? Likely no, but it's a good warranty and I don't need to hear my compressor going. Also then I can use the air ratchet on the airline and not swap back and forth.

I think that might be the same one I have. It's great except the casing is so big I've trapped it between my car and the ground a few times.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

ExecuDork posted:

Rolling coal means mis-tuning and messing with a diesel engine so it blows enormous quantities of black exhaust. It does terrible things to fuel economy, increases air pollution, and probably shortens the working lifespan of the engine.

The idiotic assholes who do this deliberately to their trucks are fond of re-routing the exhaust to blow sideways from their lifted trucks. This way they can blow toxic poo poo directly into the faces of people they don't like, such as cyclists, other drivers (especially drivers of convertibles), pedestrians, etc. etc. Coal-rollers are the reason I wish limpet mines were legal.

In the context of the homosexual code it means you like blowing dudes. The thicker and the blacker, the better.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I think that might be the same one I have. It's great except the casing is so big I've trapped it between my car and the ground a few times.

Me too but my hand between gun and ground, it didn't hurt till my arm decided to yank my hand out as a survival reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

jonathan posted:

Roxy sticker on a lovely Dodge Neon is a staple of the Ontario Southwest rural countryside