Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I don't have time to make breakfast.

Baking chicken thighs: bone in or bone out? Can I bone the thigh afterward to minimize the amount I can't get to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Always cook bone in if you can.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Always cook bone in if you can.

It doesn't really affect anything though.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

It doesn't really affect anything though.

It does give you something to gnaw on.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

MasterFugu posted:

he was trying to make it easier in the mornings, not harder.

Compared to going through the effort of making a big batch then reheating a portion in the microwave every morning, it would actually be less effort skip that big batch and just cook a single portion in the microwave each morning. Especially in a kitchen without a pot big enough for a big batch.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I have a microwave at work. I don't have a stove and pot at work.

E: I do have a pot big enough, it's just somewhat overkill big. It's the type of pot you dump dried pasta into.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 18, 2015

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't think we realized you were heating it up at work. That still presents the microwave cook option, but it's probably impractical if you want anything in your oatmeal except rolled oats.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I have a microwave at work. I don't have a stove and pot at work.

Can''t you just keep a bag of rolled oats at work, pour a portion into a bowl with some water there, and microwave i?. Time wise it will be just as quick as re-heating pre cooked oats.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The time thing really isn't an issue for cooking the big batch. I'd rather do it after work or on the weekend anyway, when I'm 100% alert. That way I can add flavor to each individual rubbermaid as well. I was just wondering if there were any issues that would come up that wouldn't be a factor in cooking a smaller batch.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

Compared to going through the effort of making a big batch then reheating a portion in the microwave every morning, it would actually be less effort skip that big batch and just cook a single portion in the microwave each morning. Especially in a kitchen without a pot big enough for a big batch.
you can't do this with steel cut oats, which eargesplitten mentioned he was looking at, you can only do it with the precooked oats, and it's still more complex because you've got to measure out the water instead of just shoving it in the microwave

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I bring oatmeal to work with me all the time. Just throw rolled oats into a microwave-safe container with peanut butter and bananas and whatever else you want in it. Pour hot water from the office cooler into oatmeal, stir and eat. Making a big batch of rolled oats seems impractical when they take all of two minutes to heat in a microwave or cook enough just from some hot water. If you were doing steel cut oats or some kind of other grain then it'd be another story.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I guess that makes sense for now, but with how much I eat, I'm going through the box/cylinder thing of oatmeal I have within a week or two. So, for when I do get steel-cut oats, am I going to gently caress up anything by just scaling up the largest serving number they have on the package (assuming they don't just come bagged)? I'm worried about putting in too much water, because I hate watery oatmeal.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I guess that makes sense for now, but with how much I eat, I'm going through the box/cylinder thing of oatmeal I have within a week or two. So, for when I do get steel-cut oats, am I going to gently caress up anything by just scaling up the largest serving number they have on the package (assuming they don't just come bagged)? I'm worried about putting in too much water, because I hate watery oatmeal.

Nope, you're good. I've made ten pounds of oatmeal before - I personally like it at a 3:4 ratio with water (3 parts oats, 4 parts water) but as long as you keep the ratio the same you're good to go.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

22 Eargesplitten posted:

As someone who loves oatmeal and all kinds of grains, I've recently discovered wheat berries, and they've been a total game-changer for me. Cheap as hell in the bulk section of your local hoity-toity supermarket, delicious chewy texture and nutty flavor, good protein. Only drawback is that they take a long time to cook, so if you're preparing breakfast cereal en masse, they're one to consider. You use a 3:1 water/berry ratio, and it takes about one hour simmering over the stovetop to cook a full cup of wheat berries dried.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I've got some nice pork chops and I'm going to give reverse searing a go, since I've not tried that before. I'm looking for inspiration for what to put with them. I've got a bunch of sour cream I need to use up so I thought about some potatoes to dump that in? And then some sort of vegetable that I can jazz up slightly more than just roasting. Any suggestions?

Dangphat
Nov 15, 2011

Bollock Monkey posted:

I've got some nice pork chops and I'm going to give reverse searing a go, since I've not tried that before. I'm looking for inspiration for what to put with them. I've got a bunch of sour cream I need to use up so I thought about some potatoes to dump that in? And then some sort of vegetable that I can jazz up slightly more than just roasting. Any suggestions?

Something that would work nicely with pork chops would be a sour cream based slaw. Take some thinly sliced onions and soak for 20 minutes in cider vinegar and drain, mix with thinly sliced red cabbage and fennel, then mix together sour cream and olive oil 3:1 with some mild curry powder to taste and stir into the sliced vegetables. Should have a nice mix of sharpness and richness. If you want to kick it up a notch crumble some grilled pancetta into the mix.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
OAT-A-CON 2015: Why don't you just make it the night before? Is it a necessity that you have hot breakfast? My boss is really into just soaking oats with flavorful stuff overnight and eating it the next morning cold.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I hate watery oatmeal.

Me too. Growing up, my mom only bought the instant stuff in the packets. If you make it the way it says to on the package, it makes a runny soup.

Thick oatmeal = best oatmeal.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm going to a potluck on Sunday, and I was thinking of making mashed sweet potatoes. Has anyone made this recipe? http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/the-best-mashed-sweet-potatoes-recipe.html

I don't have a circulator. When they say beer cooler, do they just mean like you would bring to a barbecue?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm going to a potluck on Sunday, and I was thinking of making mashed sweet potatoes. Has anyone made this recipe? http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/the-best-mashed-sweet-potatoes-recipe.html

I don't have a circulator. When they say beer cooler, do they just mean like you would bring to a barbecue?

Someone (I think Casu Marzu maybe?) tried the sweetening technique via circulator and said it didn't make much of a difference, so if you don't have a circulator, it's probably best and easiest just to skip that step instead of having to babysit potatoes in a cooler to make sure they stay at the proper temp. Just roast them as instructed.

Yes, they are referring to a standard beer cooler like you'd see at a picnic.

As far as the recipe goes, it looks like a pretty standard mashed sweet potatoes recipe, but with browned butter which may be pretty good. I dunno, if I was going to a potluck I think I'd try to bring something a little more exciting. I can't say I've ever been to a picnic and overheard anyone saying "Oh my GOD, did you try the mashed sweet potatoes? They were out of this world!!!"

Good luck, in any case.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm not a great cook, honestly. Is there something else you would recommend for the potluck that would be simple to make? We're supposed to bring a dessert and a side dish. We are planning on chocolate ganache brownies for the dessert.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm not a great cook, honestly. Is there something else you would recommend for the potluck that would be simple to make? We're supposed to bring a dessert and a side dish. We are planning on chocolate ganache brownies for the dessert.

Deviled eggs??

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Huh. I've never thought deviled eggs were amazing either, but for all I know most of them were store bought. Deviled eggs were our second thought, so I guess it's a ~sign~.

Are there any good recipes out there? I see an Alton Brown one that uses four kinds of pepper instead of mustard or paprika, which sounds interesting. On the other hand, I don't know who would carry specialty peppercorns or caper liquid.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

KettleWL posted:

Couscous, tomatoes, onions, zucchinis, mushrooms. I know a lot of dishes with it use some type of sweet - golden raisins, dates, apricots, etc. in the North African line of cooking, but for my money Merguez is just really drat good sausage and should be used with whatever the hell you like. Traditionally it's Southern and Eastern Mediterranean cuisine.

I ended up serving them with that corn salad I posted in the chat thread and a pile of arugula.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Huh. I've never thought deviled eggs were amazing either, but for all I know most of them were store bought. Deviled eggs were our second thought, so I guess it's a ~sign~.

Are there any good recipes out there? I see an Alton Brown one that uses four kinds of pepper instead of mustard or paprika, which sounds interesting. On the other hand, I don't know who would carry specialty peppercorns or caper liquid.

Boiled eggs, mix yolks with dijon & mayo. Fill eggs, sprinkle sweet paprika carefully.

If you want to be fancy for minimal extra cost/effort, garnish each with a tiny sprig of curly parsley or dill to and fill empty spaces in your platter with bigger sprigs of parsley.

No reason to use exotic ingredients on a deviled egg IMO. People gonna swallow 'em like pills anyway.

E: here's a reliable easy and fast recipe for perfect boiled eggs http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2010/03/how-to-make-perfect-hard-boiled-eggs-im.html?m=1

E2: Also you can pipe the yolk mixture using a ziplock with the corner snipped. Try not to make it look like a dog turd. When I was in the military my buddies and I would always bring deviled eggs to pot lucks because they're easy to make while drunk, cheap, and weather well a night in the fridge. Sorry for all the words on a simple subject. I guess I have a soft spot for 'em.

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 20, 2015

twotimer
Jul 19, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

whatever you do, do not overcook the eggs! if the yolk develops that dark green colour on the surface, throw them in the bin and start over.
you will hear a lot of suggestions about how to boil an egg, but at the root of them all is a real attempt to avoid overcooking. personally, i like to add eggs to boiling water, reduce to a simmer and let them simmer for 13-14 minutes.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Devil eggs need some crunch, I like chopped pickles.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Boiled eggs, mix yolks with dijon & mayo. Fill eggs, sprinkle sweet paprika carefully.

If you want to be fancy for minimal extra cost/effort, garnish each with a tiny sprig of curly parsley or dill to and fill empty spaces in your platter with bigger sprigs of parsley.

No reason to use exotic ingredients on a deviled egg IMO. People gonna swallow 'em like pills anyway.

E: here's a reliable easy and fast recipe for perfect boiled eggs http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2010/03/how-to-make-perfect-hard-boiled-eggs-im.html?m=1

E2: Also you can pipe the yolk mixture using a ziplock with the corner snipped. Try not to make it look like a dog turd. When I was in the military my buddies and I would always bring deviled eggs to pot lucks because they're easy to make while drunk, cheap, and weather well a night in the fridge. Sorry for all the words on a simple subject. I guess I have a soft spot for 'em.

No vinegar or anything acidic? Most of the recipes I saw had vinegar in them. I'm happy you said dijon, though. I generally prefer brown mustard to yellow. I was inclined to use dijon, but I was worried that I hadn't considered something and it would come out tasting like poo poo.

Do you have any ideas for how to avoid them looking like turds? I like the look of the ones piped in the sort of star pattern, but I assume that's a result of the special pastry bags and piping tips.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

22 Eargesplitten posted:

No vinegar or anything acidic? Most of the recipes I saw had vinegar in them. I'm happy you said dijon, though. I generally prefer brown mustard to yellow. I was inclined to use dijon, but I was worried that I hadn't considered something and it would come out tasting like poo poo.

Do you have any ideas for how to avoid them looking like turds? I like the look of the ones piped in the sort of star pattern, but I assume that's a result of the special pastry bags and piping tips.

Your mustard will be acidic enough, IMO. Regular old yellow mustard is plenty vinegary. Mix a bit of that in if you feel your mayolk is giving you a boggy feeling. It doesn't really matter which mustard you use. Use whichever one you like. Brown/spicy would be fine. The only case I can imagine where mustard might wreck it would be whole grain, but it would be sort of nuts to use that in deviled eggs as it's usually expensive and obviously would look bad in that app.

For piping, make a little base inside the white and top with a pattern that isn't a spiral. Side to side, dots, another big squirt, whatever. If you have a fancy piping bag you can do a spiral but ziplocs usually yield turd-shaped extrusions. If you gently caress up, hide it with parsley. Easy. Have fun with it. Deviled eggs are low-threat.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

The only case I can imagine where mustard might wreck it would be whole grain, but it would be sort of nuts to use that in deviled eggs as it's usually expensive and obviously would look bad in that app.
Counterpoint (not my pic):

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I want that mustard to be caviar.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It is, and those eggs are great blue heron eggs.

Feloniously delicious.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It is, and those eggs are great blue heron eggs.

Feloniously delicious.

Ha seriously? How many eggs do they lay a year?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Eeyo posted:

Ha seriously? How many eggs do they lay a year?

:eyepop:

Mash the yolks with foie or at least chicken pate.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Going back to oatmeal briefly, has anyone done baked oatmeal before? I've had it as a kid in resturaunts, specifically in Lancaster PA. It was amazing. I need to try a batch at home sometime. What's a good recepie?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
My parents decided to buy a deep fryer. I basically never deep fry stuff so what are some good things I can do while at theirs other than chips? Breakfast foods would be ideal. Its not particularly big since it was pretty cheap is the only issue

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jose posted:

My parents decided to buy a deep fryer. I basically never deep fry stuff so what are some good things I can do while at theirs other than chips? Breakfast foods would be ideal. Its not particularly big since it was pretty cheap is the only issue

Everything.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It would be a shorter list of what you can't deep fry.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Deviled eggs with crab are loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

SubG posted:

Counterpoint (not my pic):

That looks like pickled mustard seeds, not whole-grain mustard per se.