Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I don't see why not, they can always improve on their past mistakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I do like that they're moving towards enemy scaling being way more restricted, that's the sort of mechanic you need to see in person to decide its success though.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah the level scaling was done pretty well in Skyrim, so I'm confident it will be decent in Fallout 4. Fallout 3 though, jesus christ. Unloading clip after clip into overpowered radscorpions. Or those glass-armoured bandits in Oblivion.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Does anyone feel level scaling actually benefits the game though? There is not much of it at all in New Vegas and it really helps the world in my opinion. While Skyrim did it better than Oblivion and Fallout 3, the scaling is still rather... noticeable.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Leinadi posted:

Does anyone feel level scaling actually benefits the game though? There is not much of it at all in New Vegas and it really helps the world in my opinion. While Skyrim did it better than Oblivion and Fallout 3, the scaling is still rather... noticeable.

The example given was that enemies might scale with you from level 5-10 but there would be areas simultaneously that would have enemies set at 30 to start.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Sharkopath posted:

I do like that they're moving towards enemy scaling being way more restricted, that's the sort of mechanic you need to see in person to decide its success though.

Sharkopath posted:

The example given was that enemies might scale with you from level 5-10 but there would be areas simultaneously that would have enemies set at 30 to start.

They said almost exactly the same thing leading up to Fallout 3, if I remember right. Admittedly it wasn't nearly as bad in Skyrim so there's some hope it'll be improved again for FO4.

Leinadi posted:

Agreed. At some point, a scorpion should be a scorpion and a bandit should be a bandit. I guess I'm just completely tired of the kind of system where new enemies will spawn where weaker ones used to. I'd love it if they did away with the "enemy + title" method and just had encounters' difficulty determined by numbers, and equipment (for mutants/humans) or creature type (for monsters). A scorpion when you're level 1 should be the same as a scorpion when you're level 50.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I wonder/doubt if the difficulty levels will change from the laziest possible simple damage modifier changes. Really I just want to take more damage, not do less damage and have everything become a bullet sponge. Just amp the damage I take and let my game be more deadly for everyone.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Walrus Pete posted:

They said almost exactly the same thing leading up to Fallout 3, if I remember right. Admittedly it wasn't nearly as bad in Skyrim so there's some hope it'll be improved again for FO4.

Agreed. At some point, a scorpion should be a scorpion and a bandit should be a bandit. I guess I'm just completely tired of the kind of system where new enemies will spawn where weaker ones used to. I'd love it if they did away with the "enemy + title" method and just had encounters' difficulty determined by numbers, and equipment (for mutants/humans) or creature type (for monsters). A scorpion when you're level 1 should be the same as a scorpion when you're level 50.

Naw, the system they were talking about in the media releases of fallout 3 was an area lockout system where areas would have set encounter levels set to your level and get locked once you entered them.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

graynull posted:

I wonder/doubt if the difficulty levels will change from the laziest possible simple damage modifier changes. Really I just want to take more damage, not do less damage and have everything become a bullet sponge. Just amp the damage I take and let my game be more deadly for everyone.

You could have a ball in FO3 and NV by just flat-out doubling the weapon damage coefficient. FO3 became really loving hard by the time you hit the Mall in DC, it was fun as hell.

Everything felt deadly. Including the bullets you fired, and those that were fired at you.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Walrus Pete posted:

Fallout 3's system worked though until the very endgame, and even then that's only if you have Broken Steel installed.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Genocyber posted:

you should play the borderlands games

Our serious games can only have referential humor and internet memes.
And a switch to turn them off.

Wolfsheim posted:

I also super hope that they've found a way to do late-game combat that isn't just adding 10,000 HP and 85% DR to enemies which has literally been the same problem in Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim. Say, by adding some kind of damage threshold system, possibly with different types of ammunition? Just a thought.

I don't remember DR doing jack poo poo.
Heck, AP weapons seemed useless when you could just equip a better gun instead.

Only thing it did is making shotguns useless unless you pick a certain perk.

frajaq posted:

I think that gameplay mechanic they showed about damaging enemy armor as it flies off could fix some of the problems...maybe

Would be nice when fighting a Sentry Bot you could shoot the plates off the rocket loading mechanism and fire directly at the rockets, exploding it and even damaging enemies (and friends) around it.

Actually in Fallout 3, many enemies had parts that if you would hit, they would turn frenzy and attack their allies, they are usually robots.
They are also in New Vegas, but I barely remember using them there for some reason.

Now that I think of it, I remember there were more turrets to hack in F3, there were also more enviormental things you could do, like blowing up cars and igniting gas, I don't think I've seen any of these in New Vegas.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Bholder posted:

Now that I think of it, I remember there were more turrets to hack in F3, there were also more enviormental things you could do, like blowing up cars and igniting gas, I don't think I've seen any of these in New Vegas.

I think the reason is mainly that there is basically no actual reason for those things to exist in a post-apocalyptic world, so Obsidian didn't think to put that stuff in. Obsidian crafted their world to have some sort of internal logic and realism. Bethesda crafted Washington DC to be a big video game level with no rhyme or reason to any of it. I'm not even saying that as a criticism towards the game, I actually liked exploring Fallout 3 more because it was so nonsensical.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Leinadi posted:

New Vegas has plenty of level scaling.
And it can benefit the game. Despite the bad reputation it has gotten thanks to games like Oblivion of Homeworld 2, dynamic difficulty adjustment can be a useful tool in games like Bethesda's where a developer has no way of knowing how powerful a player is going to be when designing encounters.
The problem is that just raising enemies' stats is a really lovely way of increasing difficulty. Something that's make even more shittier when a level scaling system is allowed to raise them too high. It could be more interesting if the dda, in addition to raising stats, adjusted the number of enemies and their behavior.

Sharkopath posted:

Naw, the system they were talking about in the media releases of fallout 3 was an area lockout system where areas would have set encounter levels set to your level and get locked once you entered them.
You're talking about Skyrim. FO3 had areas with different level-ranges.

Bholder posted:

If I recall right, most of those things were put in the early game though. If you follow the main quest, the first dungeon has this computer that you can use to release some gas near ghouls. And a conveniently placed laser pistol to ignite the gas and blow up the ghouls. You can't do that anywhere else. I always though Bethesda placed that sort of stuff there to impress reviewers.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 20, 2015

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

The writing for the big reveal is a bit weak. It happens after you find your son
Son: "Dad what is love?"
Dad: "don't ask me son, I'm just an android"
Laugh track plays
Son: "oh dad"

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Raygereio posted:

If I recall right, most of those things were put in the early game though. If you follow the main quest, the first dungeon has this computer that you can use to release some gas near ghouls. And a conveniently placed laser pistol to ignite the gas and blow up the ghouls. You can't do that anywhere else. I always though Bethesda placed that sort of stuff there to impress reviewers.

No, I clearly remember multiple places with gas clouds, a couple of Vaults had them for example

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

computer parts posted:

Fallout 3's system worked though until the very endgame, and even then that's only if you have Broken Steel installed.

Sure, in the sense that every fight against a given enemy type felt exactly the same for the entire game. You got better gear as the game went on, but it still took just as long to kill your average raider or scorpion. I certainly don't consider that a success.

And then, as you said, it went into super dumbass hyper-mode when you get to the really high level stuff.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think it's a bad thing to encounter something you just can't beat so you'll have to come back later.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Moridin920 posted:

I don't think it's a bad thing to encounter something you just can't beat so you'll have to come back later.

wisdom

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.
Figured I'd at least throw this out here. Anyone looking to buy a Pipboy Edition preorder? I have an extra preorder for both the PS4 and Xbone edition. eBay seems to be hovering at $250 so I'll let them go here $200.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Bholder posted:

No, I clearly remember multiple places with gas clouds, a couple of Vaults had them for example

I blew myself up enough times by not noticing them in time to confirm this.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Walrus Pete posted:

Sure, in the sense that every fight against a given enemy type felt exactly the same for the entire game. You got better gear as the game went on, but it still took just as long to kill your average raider or scorpion. I certainly don't consider that a success.

And then, as you said, it went into super dumbass hyper-mode when you get to the really high level stuff.

Raiders and scorpions were always weak the whole game through, the only enemies that were particular trouble variants, like the ghoul reavers who were real sons of guns, or the albino scorpions in certain areas of the map.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

Bholder posted:

yeah, there was that raider town with a raider looking out from the top floor of a house over an alleyway with a rocket launcher, and you could leak gas into the house and lure a bandit over a landmine and set the whole house up. that owned. I also like that just walking into a gas leak with the flamethrower will set it off because of the pilot light

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

o/u on the time it takes bethesda to hire chris avellone

False Toaster posted:

Figured I'd at least throw this out here. Anyone looking to buy a Pipboy Edition preorder? I have an extra preorder for both the PS4 and Xbone edition. eBay seems to be hovering at $250 so I'll let them go here $200.

lol o my god get hosed

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Poolparty posted:

The writing for the big reveal is a bit weak. It happens after you find your son
Son: "Dad what is love?"
Dad: "don't ask me son, I'm just an android"
Laugh track plays
Son: "oh dad"

The son will be half-robot because the robot dad had sex with a human mom.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I would pay for mods, maybe, if Bethesda guarantees to go through them and unfuck them , but that won't happen so I can't wait to pirate my first mod.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The son will be half-robot because the robot dad had sex with a human mom.

So it'll be Binary Domain? :v:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Sylink posted:

I would pay for mods, maybe, if Bethesda guarantees to go through them and unfuck them , but that won't happen so I can't wait to pirate my first mod.

im sure theyll be vetted and independent from one another. i dont know much about mods but i hear people bitch about load order a lot and that doesnt seem feasible for consoles

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Sylink posted:

You really can't trust Bethesda to unfuck its own game, let alone figure out the intricacies of a bondage/mutant pregnancy mod written by an autist.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sylink posted:

What's the point of mods if they are basically made by the developer.

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

The mod process will go well until people misclick dogs of fallout and get dongs of fallout.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
You guys realize there aren't going to be paid mods, right?

http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx_mobile.html

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

False Toaster posted:

"Guys, where did these extra pre-orders come from? My, whatever could I do with these pre-orders just laying around here, I guess I could sell them for 50 bucks less than the highest eBay scalper price. Only because we're such good Goon Friends."

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Noctis Horrendae posted:

You guys realize there aren't going to be paid mods, right?

http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx_mobile.html

You realize that 'currently we have no plans to [do x]' is the stock legal phrase used by people who want to say they aren't going to [do x] but don't want to be in any way liable for promising not to [do x], right? I'm not saying 100% there will be paid mods, I'm just staying it's a totally meaningless statement.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 21, 2015

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Bringing mods to consoles, even unpaid, will probably be a glorious clusterfuck. Either it's free-for-all and tons of console gamers get to enjoy crashing over and over because they're trying to use two conflicting weapon mods, or Bethesda curates a limited collection of good, unconflicting mods and the modding community explodes in drama with cries of favoritism blahblah. It'll be great.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

escalator dropdown posted:

Bringing mods to consoles, even unpaid, will probably be a glorious clusterfuck. Either it's free-for-all and tons of console gamers get to enjoy crashing over and over because they're trying to use two conflicting weapon mods, or Bethesda curates a limited collection of good, unconflicting mods and the modding community explodes in drama with cries of favoritism blahblah. It'll be great.

It will probably be the latter and oh man the drama will be great.

just looked at my crystal ball and I can already see modders complaining that their mods didn't get picked because it wasn't "casual" enough for THOSE drat CONSOLE PEASANTS or something like that

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

They'll have to restrict it, I think. There's probably going to be pop culture reference mods, and loads of adult mods and other poo poo that can't fly on the console market.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

escalator dropdown posted:

i dont know how thats truly different from current pc modding aside from stuff like morrowind overhaul

who gives a poo poo what fools that make nude mods and other crap think

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Haha you think Bethesda wouild do something that complex

....yeah?

Each Bethesda RPG has included improvements and changes from the past one, unless you think Morrowind and Skyrim are identical except for graphics. Why's there this assumption that every time a game gets released, it's going to be the same one as the last with a new coat of paint even as each one is noticeably different? We've already seen a ton of added complexity over New Vegas with the crafting, settlement building, and armor system.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

marktheando posted:

Yeah the level scaling was done pretty well in Skyrim, so I'm confident it will be decent in Fallout 4. Fallout 3 though, jesus christ. Unloading clip after clip into overpowered radscorpions. Or those glass-armoured bandits in Oblivion.

The system for scaling itself might have been okay in Skyrim but that game really highlighted how boring every single enemy type is. I don't think anyone would have an issue with scaling systems if fighting enemies was actually fun or interesting, and from the looks of it Bethesda's enemy AI hasn't really evolved beyond the point of "run at player and melee" or "stand in open and shoot."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Having a steam workshop equivalent for the console playerbase doesn't seem like a terrible thing

• Locked thread