Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Guys I only have money for one National Monuments pack, which one do I get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Has anyone figured out the math/logic behind the "<Your nation> economic base compared to <Target nation>" bonus/malus when it comes to vassalization? Because I have no idea what it actually means or stands for or is supposed to represent. I'm looking to vassalize Hsenwi and Dali, both of whom have about 16 total base tax and ~40 total development, yet Hsenwi has a -48 malus to vassalization while Dali is +30.

Is it how much money they're actually making compared to me or something? I hesitate to say that it's a bit too much given how good diplo-annexing is, but it seems kind of weird that I'm a 640 development behemoth that has a 63 ducat income, and 8 province Dali can't wait to join while a 5 province Hsenwi is brushing me off purely based on economy.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

What's up with the "Rebel Uprising!"-event? I occasionally get it despite there not being any rebels in my lands. Are they being inspired by that peasant rebellion I crushed a few years ago or what?

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Apoffys posted:

What's up with the "Rebel Uprising!"-event? I occasionally get it despite there not being any rebels in my lands. Are they being inspired by that peasant rebellion I crushed a few years ago or what?

The event can happen if you have a religious unity below 100%.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

VDay posted:

Has anyone figured out the math/logic behind the "<Your nation> economic base compared to <Target nation>" bonus/malus when it comes to vassalization? Because I have no idea what it actually means or stands for or is supposed to represent. I'm looking to vassalize Hsenwi and Dali, both of whom have about 16 total base tax and ~40 total development, yet Hsenwi has a -48 malus to vassalization while Dali is +30.

Is it how much money they're actually making compared to me or something? I hesitate to say that it's a bit too much given how good diplo-annexing is, but it seems kind of weird that I'm a 640 development behemoth that has a 63 ducat income, and 8 province Dali can't wait to join while a 5 province Hsenwi is brushing me off purely based on economy.

http://www.eu4wiki.com/Vassal#Offer_vassalization_.28diplomatic.29

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
Goddamnit I get like 10-20 minutes into a game and the I get a weird runtime error crash to desktop. I've tried updating my drivers, numerous clean uninstalls, everything. It seems like a lot of other people are having the same problem and no one has figured out a definitive solution yet. I just bought Common Sense too :(

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Any thoughts as between Administrative and Economic ideas for Brandenburg? Leaning towards Admin for the coring cost reduction.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Speaking of ugly borders, try to find all the screaming faces in this clusterfuck:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

Any thoughts as between Administrative and Economic ideas for Brandenburg? Leaning towards Admin for the coring cost reduction.

Both are good. I took Econ on my TO -> Prussia run and have been focused more on building vertical than purely expanding. Brandenburg/Prussian ideas get -5% development cost, plus you'll probably want to go Protestant and with HRE reform bonuses that's another few development discounts. Admin is also very good for the coring discount and merc bonuses, manpower is even tougher to come by.

I would heartily recommend Aristocratic, especially if you plan on doing any significant vassal integration. The loss of the Embassy building means you're stuck with two diplomats, and integration is roughly twice as expensive and time-consuming as before Common Sense.

I would go Admin, Influence, Aristocratic for a heavy expansion game. You won't have all that many free points to spend on development early in the game anyway, so you can totally wait and take Econ later, especially after you unlock the University building for super cheap development.

Edit: here's that TO game, Poland Kiev and Novgorod are my mega-marches with France as my main ally. Was hoping Kiev would form Ruthenia but apparently they have to be independent for that decision, also have my dynasty on the French throne so might get a PU eventually. Smashed the Catholics and Protestantism has been the official faith of the HRE for almost a century, but I haven't been able to get elected Emperor after the decision to form Prussia removed me from the HRE, oh well. Took Econ but not Admin, no diplomatic idea lines at all.

Been slowly eating Denmark and now working on Norway and Sweden. Denmark and Norway always take Aristocratic so they have awful coring costs. Forming Germany is my next goal.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 20, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

I did the math in the formula listed there and the numbers still don't match up. The Hsenwi malus seems to match, but then I have no idea how Dali was giving me a +30 bonus. If it's just base tax without modifiers than the difference between the two nations should be minimal. Instead it's a 74 opinion swing.

Ah well, just gonna have to take their land the old fashioned way.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
It's really bizarre to me how there is any land route into India from China or Central Asia that isn't the khyber pass. Fairly certain the Himalayas aren't passable by 1500s armies...

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Bold Robot posted:

What's a good starting strategy and idea plan for Brandenburg?

Ally Poland day 1, rival TO, declare for Neumark and have Poland beat the poo poo out of them, get Neumark + Marienburg + whatever, fabricate on Pommerania's capital, take that + vassal them, now you can core your provinces in Prussia and you have claims on all Prussian provinces; in the next war with TO take all of the Baltic trade power provinces and then proceed to get rich as gently caress.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Gonna pull the trigger on this one as my final steam sale pickup. The common sense DLC steam page is kind of worrisome with a lot of negative reviews about how it broke the AI and made expanding impossible. Temper tantrums or is there some truth to this? Wait until next steam sale for common sense?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

MikeC posted:

Gonna pull the trigger on this one as my final steam sale pickup. The common sense DLC steam page is kind of worrisome with a lot of negative reviews about how it broke the AI and made expanding impossible. Temper tantrums or is there some truth to this? Wait until next steam sale for common sense?

The free patch that came out alongside the expansion introduced new fort mechanics that the AI has trouble with. That was a problem with the patch though, and not the expansion. So it's a bit of whiner thing.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

MikeC posted:

Tantrums.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

MikeC posted:

Paradox fans are infamously whiny. Common Sense is good.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Sorced posted:

The event can happen if you have a religious unity below 100%.

Thanks. Seems a bit odd that a single wrong-religion province should count as "traitor armies raising their flags in rebellion across our empire", but whatever...

Another question though, does anyone know what determines how expensive it is to attack natives (in order to wipe them out and make colonization easier)? Is it just tied to how strong the natives are, or is there something I can do to affect the cost?

Also, why do I get a better daughter if I give her a traditional name? If I do that she's 4/4/5, the other three names give 4/3/3. I thought maybe it was random, but I've gotten the event twice now and it's been the same both times.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Pellisworth posted:

Both are good. I took Econ on my TO -> Prussia run and have been focused more on building vertical than purely expanding. Brandenburg/Prussian ideas get -5% development cost, plus you'll probably want to go Protestant and with HRE reform bonuses that's another few development discounts. Admin is also very good for the coring discount and merc bonuses, manpower is even tougher to come by.

I would heartily recommend Aristocratic, especially if you plan on doing any significant vassal integration. The loss of the Embassy building means you're stuck with two diplomats, and integration is roughly twice as expensive and time-consuming as before Common Sense.

I would go Admin, Influence, Aristocratic for a heavy expansion game. You won't have all that many free points to spend on development early in the game anyway, so you can totally wait and take Econ later, especially after you unlock the University building for super cheap development.

Edit: here's that TO game, Poland Kiev and Novgorod are my mega-marches with France as my main ally. Was hoping Kiev would form Ruthenia but apparently they have to be independent for that decision, also have my dynasty on the French throne so might get a PU eventually. Smashed the Catholics and Protestantism has been the official faith of the HRE for almost a century, but I haven't been able to get elected Emperor after the decision to form Prussia removed me from the HRE, oh well. Took Econ but not Admin, no diplomatic idea lines at all.

Been slowly eating Denmark and now working on Norway and Sweden. Denmark and Norway always take Aristocratic so they have awful coring costs. Forming Germany is my next goal.

Thanks for the writeup. I haven't played in a million years so I'm pretty rusty on this kind of stuff.

What determines what provinces a vassal will accept these days? I know the rules for vassal feeding have changed since the old days when they would take literally anything, but I have no idea what the specifics. Will they only accept cores or is it broader than that?

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Bold Robot posted:

Economic.

Economic + Offensive = +20% artillery combat ability

Economic + Quality = +5% Discipline

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.
So I just recently got into this game, and so far I quite like it. I'm about 5 years in as Venice in my first game with the full version (played a few in the demo). What is the deal with technology development? They all start at 600 MP each, but so far the most I've ever had in any one category is like 200. How am I supposed to start improving my tech level? Does it get cheaper or is it just supposed to be super slow or what?

Also, does anyone know of a good iPad game that scratches the same itch as EU4? I've got a long flight coming up and something like that would be perfect.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Acceptableloss posted:

So I just recently got into this game, and so far I quite like it. I'm about 5 years in as Venice in my first game with the full version (played a few in the demo). What is the deal with technology development? They all start at 600 MP each, but so far the most I've ever had in any one category is like 200. How am I supposed to start improving my tech level? Does it get cheaper or is it just supposed to be super slow or what?

Also, does anyone know of a good iPad game that scratches the same itch as EU4? I've got a long flight coming up and something like that would be perfect.

Tech is supposed to be rather slow. The key is to not spend monarch points on tech until the "ahead of time" penalty disappears, which you can tell when the % value next to the clock on each tech turns green and negative.

There are various bonuses which decrease the cost of tech, but generally it's always going to be expensive. You can increase your monarch point income by hiring advisers. They may not seem to have much effect, but it adds up. Even early in the game, as Venice you should be making enough money from trade to have three +1 advisers and still have a comfortable positive income.

It could also be possible that as a new player you're using your monarch points inefficiently, but if so you'll get the hang of it.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

Apoffys posted:

Also, why do I get a better daughter if I give her a traditional name? If I do that she's 4/4/5, the other three names give 4/3/3. I thought maybe it was random, but I've gotten the event twice now and it's been the same both times.

In this event, each of the four heirs is define as having 3 in two stats and 4 in the other, but it appears that since three of them have fixed names, those are literally their stats, whereas the traditionally named daughter rolls her stats and for each stat takes the maximum of that roll or her 3/4/3. That you got exactly 4/4/5 both times is a bit of luck; you can try this event out more to observe the variance by consoling "event dynastic_events.1"

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Trogdos! posted:

To my knowledge, the colonial features locked behind the ED DLC is sea/land expeditions, circumnavigation, and treasure fleets, no idea how those work. I still am not sure if I should go for it or not.

Circumnavigation and treasure fleets are silly and not a big deal (especially the former), but the new exploration mechanics are a really big improvement on the original. If you want to play a game that involves exploration, it's worthwhile.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
This constant CTD whenever you load a save in the middle of a game is really annoying.

It seems to happen for any game that has been played longer than a few minutes.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Xotl posted:

This constant CTD whenever you load a save in the middle of a game is really annoying.

Exit to the menu then load the save from there. It takes less time than starting the game up again.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

Thanks for the writeup. I haven't played in a million years so I'm pretty rusty on this kind of stuff.

What determines what provinces a vassal will accept these days? I know the rules for vassal feeding have changed since the old days when they would take literally anything, but I have no idea what the specifics. Will they only accept cores or is it broader than that?

You can feed them anything in peace deals, there's a button to cede occupation of a province to your vassal and then you just demand it go directly to your vassal in the peace agreement.

They'll definitely take non-cored provinces. In that screen I posted all my mega-marches (Poland, Kiev, Novgorod) are a couple tech levels behind in Admin because I've been feeding them a ton. I don't really plan to integrate them ever and haven't taken any diplomatic ideas as a result. Be careful if you plan to do much diplo-annexation, it's twice as expensive/long as before and you're more limited on Diplomats. They'll take whatever and have no choice in the matter, but you don't want to overload them so keep an eye on their tech and don't push them past 100% Overextension. That's pretty hard to do, though.

A very nice change is you can enforce your religion and primary culture (the second really only useful for +1 per month toward integrating them) on vassals, plus there are other options to manage their liberty desire. I think it's better to keep a March or two around for a long time due to how manpower is more constricting and it's more expensive to integrate vassals. In my case I forced my mega-marches Protestant and have fed them specific culture provinces to keep them strong and unified. In my screenshot, Poland has all the Polish + Silesian culture provinces (gently caress Bohemian coring cost NI or they'd have that too), Kiev is almost all Ruthenian + Belorussian (need to knock a couple off Hungary), and Novogorod is my Russian little bro. I did a little genocide on the Baltics (sorry guys :smith:) and everything I hold directly is German or Scandinavian culture group.

Overall with these changes I'd definitely take Aristocratic as your first military idea for the diplomat and free leader, your NIs are hilariously strong and you don't really need the extra military beef from going Offensive/Defensive or whatever right away.

Army Tradition generation is a lot lower and I'd guess it will be increased in upcoming patches, but for the time being Prussian ideas are extra comically strong with your +AT and -decay you will easily have a pip or two on Lucky nation generals. Previously it was largely a game of catch-up since Lucky nations could maintain high AT and +1 Fire/Shock to have god-generals constantly, but they seem to have trouble maintaining high AT now.

Ideas I covered earlier but in general:

ADM: Economic and Admin are great depending on whether you want to build taller/wider. Probably Admin first and Econ later if you want both. Innovative for the completely unnecessary and overkill +20% Infantry Combat Ability policy isn't terrible. AE is less of a concern, skip Humanist, conversion is easier skip Religious.

DIP: Influence and Diplomatic, no real point in the others for you

MIL: Aristocratic first, DO IT. Defensive, Quality for massive AT. Offensive at some point is nice, or Quantity.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Acceptableloss posted:

It takes a while. The entire gameplay period is ~370 years, and there are 29 techs for each of Admin/Diplomatic/Military for a Western nation, which works out to about 12.75 years before
techs on average.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Here's a pro Brandenburg start: rival mecklenberg at the beginning and vassalize/ humiliate them when you go to war with TO since they always ally them. Then diplovassalize the OPMs around you. Anhalt, lunenberg, and saxe-lunenberg are good

You'll have 100 pp for like 50 years

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Acceptableloss posted:

Welcome to the thread! This is a super grognardy game and the learning curve is a monstrous cliff, feel free to post questions and you'll usually get several quick responses.

Each tech level has an "on time" year. Buying a tech ahead of time will cost you +10% per year, if you go into your tech tab you'll see the modifiers on the right hand side. Since Monarch Points gate pretty much everything you do, you want to be really stingy with them and only buy techs once you've reached their maturity date.

Eventually you'll get a feel for tech progression and remember important breakpoints. For example, tech level 7 unlocks your second idea set and colonization for non-Iberian European nations and its on-time date is 1479. Tech level 10 is 1531 which unlocks your third idea group and makes most nation-forming decisions available.

Edit: a good way to do a basic budget for your points is to glance at your tech tab. If you're behind in a tech you should avoid spending those points until you're caught up. If you're ahead in a tech you should look for other good ways to burn some of those points and then buy the tech a few years down the line when it's cheaper.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 21, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The main thing you should do when you're about to upgrade a tech is ask yourself "What am I getting out of this by doing this right now?" If the answer isn't "an immediate and necessary bonus" than you should wait until you either need said bonus or until you're close to your point cap. Army upgrades, for example, are completely worthless unless you're actually fighting. So instead of blowing those 700 mil points on the upgrade, let it sit for a few years and maybe save yourself enough points to recruit a new/better general or upgrade the manpower in a province. Getting the 5th admin tech, for example, unlocks your first idea slot. But if you don't have enough admin/dip/mil points to then get at least the first idea perk than there's no point unlocking it early.

As others have said you'll get a feel for it the more you play. You'll mostly start realizing "Boy I sure wish I had like 400 more admin points right about now..." which will make you reconsider the last tech you got or country you annexed/cored and make you think about whether there was a better way to do that.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Also, Admin points are usually most tight early in the game since you use them for stability and coring conquered provinces as well as tech, you probably want to set your National Focus to Admin to start. Speaking of stability, don't buy it past +1 and even that's a luxury.

Military tech is usually most critical, since upgrades in Tactics especially can make for really painful disparities in battle. Like VDay said you don't need to actually buy the tech unless you're at war, but DON'T fall behind on military tech.

Edit: as to why not to buy Stability, the benefits are small and the random events that change it are weighted to push it towards 0 away from extremes. Buying +2 Stability is expensive and not very beneficial, and will make events that reduce Stability more likely. Again, evaluate whether the benefits of spending your admin points are worth increasing stability (usually not) and don't go past +1.

Negative Stab is not good but you can run at -1 or -2 for a long time without much harm depending on your situation otherwise. Positive stability doesn't do much for you and is expensive and you'll lose it from events anyway.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 21, 2015

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
My Ironman Tuscany game has reached a stalling point. I've eaten most of Northern Italy, from Milan down to the Papal State, but everything below that is MegaSpain (they fully inherited Aragon and Naples). Advancement to the Northwest is blocked by properly blobby France (who are nearly at modern day borders, which I don't hugely mind as they balance out MegaSpain), to the Northeast is Austria, who I thought were the weaker option but I just fought a gruelling war against them and it's like repeatedly running into a brick wall. Their troops are just plain better than mine, and whilst I have plenty of money to spend and mercenaries to hire, I still run out long before their stacks show any sign of weakening. During the last conflict they had Bohemia tying them down on the Northern front and I still couldn't make any headway against them since any major battle would attract their 50-regiment doomstack and wipe the floor with me. I'm stuck, and getting worried since so many powerful blobs are forming (aforementioned MegaSpain, Final Form France, Greater Britain and the terrifying COMMONWEALTH, which is apparently what you get when Poland eats Lithuania). I feel like I should be a moderate power by now, but instead I'm slipping into insignificance. Any advice? The ideas I picked were Admin for mercs, Trade because money, Quality because mercs are kinda flimsy amd Espionage because it looked fun but is starting to look like a complete dud.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I'm not sure how to set my trade up efficiently when I'm an origin node in Southeast Asia instead of somewhere I can redirect trade to.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
I haven't played EUIV since launch basically but I just snapped up all the new expansion DLCs (sans Common Sense), the content packs, unit packs, and even the music packs thanks to the sale. I'm such a sucker for these silly cosmetics.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Pellisworth posted:

Also, Admin points are usually most tight early in the game since you use them for stability and coring conquered provinces as well as tech, you probably want to set your National Focus to Admin to start. Speaking of stability, don't buy it past +1 and even that's a luxury.

Military tech is usually most critical, since upgrades in Tactics especially can make for really painful disparities in battle. Like VDay said you don't need to actually buy the tech unless you're at war, but DON'T fall behind on military tech.

Edit: as to why not to buy Stability, the benefits are small and the random events that change it are weighted to push it towards 0 away from extremes. Buying +2 Stability is expensive and not very beneficial, and will make events that reduce Stability more likely. Again, evaluate whether the benefits of spending your admin points are worth increasing stability (usually not) and don't go past +1.

Negative Stab is not good but you can run at -1 or -2 for a long time without much harm depending on your situation otherwise. Positive stability doesn't do much for you and is expensive and you'll lose it from events anyway.

Just to add to this but if you're at 0 stability and you get an event that gives +1 stability for whatever reason, before you click the event see how much boosting stability will cost you. Assuming you don't have anything offsetting the cost, you can go from 0 to +2 for 100 admin. Sometimes it backfires spectacularly and you lose it within a year, but I generally find the extra income is worth the admin cost.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Mygna posted:

Speaking of ugly borders, try to find all the screaming faces in this clusterfuck:

About that...

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm not sure how to set my trade up efficiently when I'm an origin node in Southeast Asia instead of somewhere I can redirect trade to.

Eventually you're going to move either your capital or center of trade to a node further down the line if you focus on trade.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

If you are in the Siam node then you want to focus on taking over the Malacca trade node and then move your trade collection there. You can't really benefit yourself with any merchant configuration in an origin node.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Xotl posted:

Stop save-scumming. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Jazerus posted:

If you are in the Siam node then you want to focus on taking over the Malacca trade node and then move your trade collection there. You can't really benefit yourself with any merchant configuration in an origin node.

Yeah, I've already beaten up and vassalized rump Malacca along with the gold province on Sumatra. Should I integrate the Muslim vassal I start with? I haven't done that yet since I don't want to gently caress up my religious unity too bad.

E: I'm Ayutthaya.

• Locked thread