Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Really, though, one of the stand-out points of Warhammer Fantasy was that it wasn't stuck in Medieval Stasis and people were actually moving up in technology despite starting from clearly medieval and even Dark Age roots. Swapping that out for more swords and sorcery just seems to make it all more generic - there's plenty of that crap out there and they're almost indistinguishable no matter how fancy and unique their religions and cultures are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
They'll probably revert it all, like with Coke Classic

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
gently caress, the whole black powder aspect is a major part of what made warhammer so awesome in the first place. :saddowns:

You got giant trolls ,well we have loving great cannons bitch!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Carcer posted:

Games Workshop has 2 problems:

a) They're losing revenue.
b) They aren't getting new players into thier games.

Instead of looking at thier situation and realizing that the reason for both is thier mind shattering pricing structure and that there are other, cheaper games to play, they've decided the issue is with the setting of thier games, and scrapped that.

You just have to look at this thread and read how people react to the background of the various factions and how the little stories they've built around certain units or characters draw people in to realize they've taken an axe to thier already sinking boat. Old players will be pissed off at the gutting of the setting while new players will wonder what happened to all the cool poo poo they heard about.

Yeah, their pricing is completely loving insane. It seems like they just continually raised prices to milk their core customer base dry and never even considered doing anything to attract new customers. I once briefly considered getting into the game, but then I looked it over and it turned out that to even just for the models to field a minimum playable army I'd have to pony up a sweet 100€. Actually building an army that's any good and of the size that people usually play with could easily be twice or thrice that, or more still. Buying the rulebook and one army book would run another 100€. They do have ebook versions, but those cost the exact loving same as the printed ones. I just looked up their store and they have a new splatbook that appears to be just a handful of new scenarios, units, and one new magic school, and they're asking 65€ for the drat thing. And hell, from a gameplay perspective the game isn't even all that good to begin with.

Contrast that with miniature games that make their core rules freely available and where you can play with a handful of miniatures that are :10bux: each, and it's no surprise that they're sinking fast.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Skandranon posted:

It doesn't even sound like orks are orky anymore.

The part that got me, on top of all the other stupid non-Orky bullshit, as they fell prey to the same thing the Horde did in WoW in the first expansion. "Well, what about our players who want to be ork-y AND pretty?! Oh, I know, give them some Elves!" Why the gently caress would Orks Waaaghkins have need of some frail pretty boys to lead them? They should have just imported Flash Gitz from 40k for all their sparkly needs. :colbert:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Zaodai posted:

The part that got me, on top of all the other stupid non-Orky bullshit, as they fell prey to the same thing the Horde did in WoW in the first expansion. "Well, what about our players who want to be ork-y AND pretty?! Oh, I know, give them some Elves!" Why the gently caress would Orks Waaaghkins have need of some frail pretty boys to lead them? They should have just imported Flash Gitz from 40k for all their sparkly needs. :colbert:

I'm now imagining a bunch of Orks in Jojo poses covered in outlandish guns and I need this.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Zzulu posted:

well take it with a grain of salt

the leak was super detailed with tabletop rules and lore and poo poo but don't underestimate warhammer autists, that stuff could still be made up

I definitely believe the Nigmos are real.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Night10194 posted:

I'm now imagining a bunch of Orks in Jojo poses covered in outlandish guns and I need this.

the beauty of Warhams Orks is that it's entirelly possible to have exactly that.

Let's hope Orks keep being Orks.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Night10194 posted:

That "If the Emperor had a Text-to-Speech Device" already did this joke, in a way, and it was awesome :allears:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
If true, that new setting super weird. I don't actually have any real opinion on the setting itself without more detail, but if that's intended to replace Fantasy entirely then :barf:.

Carcer posted:

Instead of looking at thier situation and realizing that the reason for both is thier mind shattering pricing structure and that there are other, cheaper games to play, they've decided the issue is with the setting of thier games, and scrapped that.

You just have to look at this thread and read how people react to the background of the various factions and how the little stories they've built around certain units or characters draw people in to realize they've taken an axe to thier already sinking boat. Old players will be pissed off at the gutting of the setting while new players will wonder what happened to all the cool poo poo they heard about.

This is the company that referred to its product as "the small, jewel like objects of magic and wonder we call citadel miniatures" during an official financial report. They're pretty god damned delusional.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if the company goes bankrupt there's a chance that the IP can be straight up bought by CA so they can do whatever they want with the lore and it's future right?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
'waaghhkin'

fuckin lol

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Mans posted:

if the company goes bankrupt there's a chance that the IP can be straight up bought by CA so they can do whatever they want with the lore and it's future right?

If anyone would buy the setting it'd be Sega. They were the ones who bought up all the Warhammer stuff when THQ went under. Sega is the company publishing Total War: Warhammer after all.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Lassitude posted:

If anyone would buy the setting it'd be Sega. They were the ones who bought up all the Warhammer stuff when THQ went under. Sega is the company publishing Total War: Warhammer after all.

Finally the time is near for the SonicxWarhammer Crossover we have all been waiting.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
they will never go under, they will simply continue shrinking until it is just an unoccupied office with one guy who technically owns it and who will continue spitefully holding onto the ip until the sun goes cold, crafting delusional internal reports in his own mind.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Lassitude posted:

Sega also own Relic now, so they'd have both of the good Warhammer game-making studios. Heck, since Relic also did Homeworld they'd probably be able to make a good Battlefleet Gothic game is the upcoming one is no good.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

papasyhotcakes posted:

Finally the time is near for the SonicxWarhammer Crossover we have all been waiting.

You laugh, but they will do it if they think of it.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Sega also own Relic now, so they'd have both of the good Warhammer game-making studios. Heck, since Relic also did Homeworld they'd probably be able to make a good Battlefleet Gothic game is the upcoming one is no good.

What's wrong with it? Kinda outta the loop.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Ikasuhito posted:

You laugh, but they will do it if they think of it.

Sonic could easily be explained as a horror from the warp.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I can just imagine the consternation of the Empire as their armies are near-instantaneously torn limb from limb by a blue blur. Just this flash of blue and suddenly it's raining hands.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Skandranon posted:

Sonic could easily be explained as a horror from the warp.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I'm curious how a company that displays so much incompetence actually managed to create such an interesting fictional universe in the first place.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Mostly the people in charge of making decisions aren't actually the people writing the fiction. What you basically have at GW is a bunch of businessmen running the company who have no clue why their product sells or what makes it popular and they're the ones who make the overall decisions like when it's time to reboot the series.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

actually progressing the timeline and substantially loving with the status quo in a well established fantasy universe is cool, and games workshop bringing poo poo back to smaller scale miniature games with actually good rules like in the old days is cool. I've got a sneaking suspicion that they are just doing it so they can start charging $20 each for single plastic figures though.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
But that's the thing; they haven't actually progressed the timeline. They've reset it.

Assuming that guy isn't full of poo poo they've literally just started again with a new setting, no progress has been made at all and none of the prior Fantasy stuff has any relevance anymore. They could just as easily have made it a new Warhammer setting in addition to Fantasy and 40k and nothing would change.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 21, 2015

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Neruz posted:

But that's the thing; they haven't actually progressed the timeline. They've reset it.

I could be wrong but the impression i'm getting from these leaks is that its gonna be a vaguely post-apocalyptic thing following on after they did the (actually sort of bold) move of showing the end of the world. I've never liked fantasy as much as 40k but its got me a lot more intrigued than 40k's decade of poo poo being about to get really serious but never happening

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neruz posted:

Mostly the people in charge of making decisions aren't actually the people writing the fiction. What you basically have at GW is a bunch of businessmen running the company who have no clue why their product sells or what makes it popular and they're the ones who make the overall decisions like when it's time to reboot the series.

lol

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I'm going to go a bit against the grain here, not about GW's managerial practices, pricing practices or about how goddamn stupid the reset, and the events leading up to it, was, but rather all the whining about them wanking Chaos all the time or something.

The thing is, Chaos is supposed to be the big bad in Fantasy. It's not like 40k, where you have an alien bug swarm encroaching from beyond the known galaxy and incredibly advanced robots waking from millennia old slumber - both of which are poised to potentially wipe out all life and comprehensively defeat Chaos. So I'd argue the Storm of Chaos wasn't necessarily a bad idea, have the big bad actually do something meaningful instead of just sit there menacing for once, but tying it to win rates and somehow expecting Chaos players to go up against gun lines(Empire and Dwarves) and loving High Elves and pull out a good win rate was insane. Could it happen? Sure(barring Beasts of Chaos, which usually required virtually a miracle), but it tended to be far more chancy than the opposite way around. So GW somehow thinking their Chaos players could pull off the win rate required to legitimately result in the events they wanted to use was dumb as gently caress, but the end point envisioned wasn't necessarily. So complaining about them ignoring results is valid, but some of the comments seemed more in line with complaining that end result would have been too EDGY and GRIMDARK regardless.

Also, Mary Sues, really? Mary Sues are poo poo like Matt Ward's Ultramarines and Grey Knights, where not only did he wank them all over the place in the fluff, but also overpowered their army books. On the other hand, and with one exception, Chaos has never been one of the top tier armies in Fantasy. Their "fodder" units aren't particularly cheap and, while Chaos Warriors/Knights are certainly impressive, they're also extremely expensive. And the army is generally heavily deficient on ways to counter artillery lines, which many armies are perfectly capable of fielding and can render those nice saves you paid out the rear end for meaningless. Like, Storm of Chaos keeps coming up, which was, what? 5th edition? There were in fact three Chaos army books out then: Beasts, Warriors, and Daemons. You know what else was in print in that edition? Always Strike First High Elves. One of the most infamously bullshit army books GW has ever printed. An army which Beasts basically could not win against period, barring absolutely ludicrously biased dice rolls, and everyone else(not limited to Chaos) had trouble with. The one exception was Daemons at the beginning of 6th(?) where due to cavalry changes they were top tier along with Blood Dragons. Daemons were also the least played, since not only were they basically all pewter at the time, and thus far more expensive, but many of their units didn't even have a model and had to be patched together from multiple other kits.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

The Warhammer/Illbleed cross over will be a thing of sublime beauty.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Farm Frenzy posted:

I could be wrong but the impression i'm getting from these leaks is that its gonna be a vaguely post-apocalyptic thing following on after they did the (actually sort of bold) move of showing the end of the world. I've never liked fantasy as much as 40k but its got me a lot more intrigued than 40k's decade of poo poo being about to get really serious but never happening

According to the End Times, there is nothing left but Chaos, and most of Chaos hosed off to other dimensions because they got bored anyhow. If the new setting is supposed to be the post-apoclayptic remains of the old setting, then the new setting completely contradicts the End Times - but then, anything beyond "Bored Chaos warriors torture handful of remaining living beings, slap each other around a bit with a sense of vague ennui" would be contradicting the End Times.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The great irony of Chaos is that in winning not only do they remove their entire reason to exist but they also destroy the very source of Chaos itself; as long as there are still living souls Chaos is eternal so literally the only way for Chaos to lose is to win :v:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Gamerofthegame posted:

What's wrong with it? Kinda outta the loop.

Nothing, it's just made by a small dev with not too much experience. Honestly it sounds like it'll be pretty good but there's always the risk of it being terrible.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Farm Frenzy posted:

throwing out all the extremely varied and creative factions, races, established characters, lore and armies to create yet another post-apocalyptic world where it's mostly humans roaming around is a terrible business pratice.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Mans posted:

throwing out all the extremely varied and creative factions, races, established characters, lore and armies to create yet another post-apocalyptic world where it's mostly humans roaming around is a terrible business pratice.

But much easier to build the next WoW-killer MMO from.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
we're going to get age of reckoning right this time!!!

Man, GW has done (is doing) some dumbass poo poo in its time, but I seriously doubt an MMO is in the works. Now if you said MOBA...

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I think that guy with the supposed leak was bullshitting, they'll just resent the universe to be almost exactly the same as it was so every model produced can still be used while releasing a new range

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mans posted:

Varied and creative are not words I would use to describe any of GW's worlds.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Carcer posted:

I don't understand why they haven't gotten to work on a pair of engines in the style of Wargame and X-COM. Charge little to nothing for the base game and a starter army and then charge me $1-$5 to unlock units and customization, Train Simulator style. High up-front cost and reasonable variable cost to keep producing new art assets, but it can't be worse than their existing manufacturing business.

It's not like the social and set-building aspects of WH40k are why people like it. I personally haven't bought an army because I can't paint eyebrows on a 2" tall man or be bothered to pin-vice a full squad's worth of bolters. Let everyone who just wants to jump in and play go digital and offer a rudimentary army painting / customization tool.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Shumagorath posted:

It's not like the social and set-building aspects of WH40k are why people like it. I personally haven't bought an army because I can't paint eyebrows on a 2" tall man or be bothered to pin-vice a full squad's worth of bolters. Let everyone who just wants to jump in and play go digital and offer a rudimentary army painting / customization tool.

I think you are right but the most part, but I wouldn't generalize. Building and painting plastic mans is a huge draw for some people. Additionally, anyone who has ever set foot in a hobby shop or comic book shop will tell you, there is a segment for whom tabletop games is the only from of socialization/human contact that some people get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

I dont know posted:

I think you are right but the most part, but I wouldn't generalize. Building and painting plastic mans is a huge draw for some people. Additionally, anyone who has ever set foot in a hobby shop or comic book shop will tell you, there is a segment for whom tabletop games is the only from of socialization/human contact that some people get.

If they moved to a more digital strategy, their potential market would be 10x as large. How do they get new people into Warhammer? People that already go to hobby stores. New people to play a video game? Release a cool trailer on youtube, BAM, 10 million views and potential customers.

Hell, they could also eliminate the 2nd hand market because either a) they can forbid selling your 'miniatures' once bought, or b) take a cut from the online auction house they run for the 2nd hand sale of them.

• Locked thread