Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

forbidden lesbian posted:

also they're apparently an lf goon

HenryKrinkle was definitely an LF goon, I remember seeing him post there.

i think this justifies resurrecting lf. lowtax pls do the needful tia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Fried Chicken posted:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/06/20/how-twitter-sleuths-found-dylann-roof-s-manifesto.html

4 zillion op-ed talking heads covering Charleston and its 2 weird twitter goons who uncover the manifesto

:golfclap:

A bit late, but holy poo poo Roof literally got Krinkleposted

I am dying

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

HenryKrinkle used to post in D&D a lot and was always one of the best effortposters in both D&D and LF. Man how the time flies :(

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 21, 2015

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Armani posted:

I didn't see it before. Do you have any reading material? The line by Dylann about 'Raping our women' (along with everything else, Christ) has kind of stuck with me, in a bad way.

I don't have any longform stuff on the subject, but here's a series of tweets on it by Zoe S. https://twitter.com/ztsamudzi/status/611936346219778048

(click on the tweet itself to get Zoe's take on it, I don't know how to internet.)

Essentially the thing being discussed is a need for nuanced understanding of how white women's identities are used to justify racist violence. Obviously, not all white women etc., but the basic idea is that feminism needs to focus more on how patriarchal structures justify violence against black men due to a sense of ownership over white women's bodies.

There's innumerable of instances of this playing out in America history. Black men killed for looking at / "accosting" white women, or even being killed for having consensual affairs in order to preserve the white woman's honor.

It's tricky, of course, because despite this stuff existing, there's still toxic misogyny within all American communities, black ones included. So it's not as transparently clean a fight like white women vs white men or black men vs white men. There are instances in which both groups oppress each other by using the privileges of their gender and race.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Grouchio posted:

A ton of people (40M +) recently saw Jon Stewart's speech on Charleston today and yesterday. Could this video alone make many people wake the gently caress up to the ugly truth? Or will they continue to do jack-poo poo?

I have had a ton of people share it on Facebook but they are the ones who normally would share stuff like this. The rest have ignored it or focused on "Obama is gonna take our guns!"

I took a history of terrorism class in the Spring of 2002 (my university decided to use it as an opportunity). The very first thing we did as a class was to try to "define" terrorism. Everyone had a different definition and then the professor showed us how the U.S. Government was the same way with each agency using different definitions. I was hoping that this would be declared as terrorism (at least by my definition) but I am not surprised that it is not.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I have had a ton of people share it on Facebook but they are the ones who normally would share stuff like this. The rest have ignored it or focused on "Obama is gonna take our guns!"

I took a history of terrorism class in the Spring of 2002 (my university decided to use it as an opportunity). The very first thing we did as a class was to try to "define" terrorism. Everyone had a different definition and then the professor showed us how the U.S. Government was the same way with each agency using different definitions. I was hoping that this would be declared as terrorism (at least by my definition) but I am not surprised that it is not.

The failure of the FBI director to acknowledge this is terrorism is one of the clearest examples of privilege I've seen in years.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The failure of the FBI director to acknowledge this is terrorism is one of the clearest examples of privilege I've seen in years.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) defines terrorism as “the unlawful use of force or violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives."
Sep 13, 2011

I am guessing that the FBI feels that he could not really promote the furtherance of political or social objectives. I guess it would be like "if a guy shoots up a church and no one pays attention to his reasons and no one acts on it, did it happen in the first place?"

Massively stupid still and that is the only way that they could not classify it as terrorism since their definition is very VERY broad.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Grouchio posted:

Is it wrong for me to keep treating the FBI as gestapo in my head? I have no idea why they haven't been reformed yet too appear less synonymous with Big Bro.

And the CIA aren't like this too (to it's citizens), right?

I recommend Tim Weiner's Enemies (on the FBI) and Legacy of Ashes (on the CIA).

Speaking of which, Weiner has a new book out this week, One Man Against the World (on Nixon), and it will surprise nobody that I preorderd that poo poo and am already halfway through it. Fun read.

My favorite detail so far: Nixon would exile himself for months at a time in his home in San Clemente. He liked to sit in his study with all the blinds drawn, the air conditioner on and a wood fire burning in southern California, in August.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, the idea that furtherance of racism, in south Carolina of all places, isn't a "political or social objective" is * stupefyingly* ignorant. The only explanations are either a massively privileged viewpoint or a deliberate decision to not acknowledge a successful terrorist attack for fear of political blowback.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I think it will be interesting, as the conservative mainstream collapses, to see the extremist groups they nurtured and indirectly supported under the cover of plausible deniability continue to go loving nuts after being let off the leash. People like this kid, the militia folks, radical Christian groups, etc, etc, all operating in an environment of losing battle after battle in the political sphere, it's going to be a fun decade or two

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Yeah, the idea that furtherance of racism, in south Carolina of all places, isn't a "political or social objective" is * stupefyingly* ignorant. The only explanations are either a massively privileged viewpoint or a deliberate decision to not acknowledge a successful terrorist attack for fear of political blowback.

I want to believe that it was a political decision to avoid freaking out right wing groups into thinking g Obama was going to round them up under the guise of terrorism. And that since the case is pretty much open and shut already they are content just sticking to hate crime.

Beliefs aren't facts though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He also murdered a politician. Yet somehow this is not a statement even though supposedly he deliberately targeted that man.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

I think it will be interesting, as the conservative mainstream collapses, to see the extremist groups they nurtured and indirectly supported under the cover of plausible deniability continue to go loving nuts after being let off the leash. People like this kid, the militia folks, radical Christian groups, etc, etc, all operating in an environment of losing battle after battle in the political sphere, it's going to be a fun decade or two
The conservative mainstream is in its last throes? That sounds familiar...

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Enough was on his website + criminal record to warrant at least an FBI file and wow all that domestic surveillance didn't catch anything. It honestly is a black eye.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

fosborb posted:

Enough was on his website + criminal record to warrant at least an FBI file and wow all that domestic surveillance didn't catch anything. It honestly is a black eye.

I suppose we should be counting our blessings: at least they aren't blaming curtailed surveillance.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Crain posted:

Photos of what? Also is this just some random white supremacist site or is this connected to Roof in some way?

EDIT: Oh poo poo, is this Roof's manifesto?

EDIT2: Yep, just checked the photo's. It's his site. This is a little morbid and I'm kinda regretting downloading this file.

EDIT3: How did you find this?

EDIT4: According to the page source it was last edited at 4:44pm on Wednesday. Right before the shootings.

EDIT5: Welp, this is what I expected to some degree. He name drops the Council of Conservative Citizens as his "beginning" inspiration to start down this path. If this guy get's a chance to really talk during his trial, it's going to get very uncomfortable for conservatives.

Why hasn't Google blocked racist propagandists from appearing in searches for unrelated topics?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the night, "The placement of a Confederate flag on the Capitol grounds is a state issue" ~ Scott Walker, taking a massive poo poo on the people of Wisconsin, who were some of the best Union soldiers.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I suppose we should be counting our blessings: at least they aren't blaming curtailed surveillance.

That's because they threw that temper tantrum in 09 about Unabomber style domestic terrorism. DHS had no choice but to shut up/refocus post 2010.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ErichZahn posted:

Why hasn't Google blocked racist propagandists from appearing in searches for unrelated topics?

Define 'racist propaganda'

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

forbidden lesbian posted:

i'm going to take back the confederate flag from the racists

Kanye?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

:ussr:☭☭☭:ussr:☭☭☭:ussr: http://www.rhizzone.net/forum/topic/12948/ :ussr:☭☭☭:ussr:☭☭☭:ussr:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

ErichZahn posted:

Net Neutrality and Free Speech.

Generally speaking, you learn to take the bad with the good.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Hey guys, I heard we were talking stupifyingly terrible biased violence in the state of south carolina, so have this: http://www.postandcourier.com/tilldeath/partone.html

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Fried Chicken posted:

Hey guys, I heard we were talking stupifyingly terrible biased violence in the state of south carolina, so have this: http://www.postandcourier.com/tilldeath/partone.html

Actually relevant, since from what I read in the daily mail earlier, Root's parents divorced due to domestic abuse.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, "The placement of a Confederate flag on the Capitol grounds is a state issue" ~ Scott Walker, taking a massive poo poo on the people of Wisconsin, who were some of the best Union soldiers.

Looks like Bobby Jindal just did it too.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

My Imaginary GF posted:

Define 'racist propaganda'

What do you read?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) defines terrorism as “the unlawful use of force or violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives."
Sep 13, 2011

I am guessing that the FBI feels that he could not really promote the furtherance of political or social objectives. I guess it would be like "if a guy shoots up a church and no one pays attention to his reasons and no one acts on it, did it happen in the first place?"

Massively stupid still and that is the only way that they could not classify it as terrorism since their definition is very VERY broad.

I'm not quite understanding how this could be classified as "not terrorism" but the Boston bombing could be classified as "terrorism". What's the difference, in light of that definition?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Tobermory posted:

Looks like Bobby Jindal just did it too.

And Marco Rubio, and Lindsey Graham, but they're all from the traitor states, while Walker purportedly represents a state whose citizens fought valiantly to ensure that flag, and the ideas it represents, were discarded.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm not quite understanding how this could be classified as "not terrorism" but the Boston bombing could be classified as "terrorism". What's the difference, in light of that definition?

The bombing was the brothers' response to certain US actions overseas. I guess they thought "get rid of all black people" wasn't a realistic enough objective for the FBI.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Joementum posted:

And Marco Rubio, and Lindsey Graham, but they're all from the traitor states, while Walker purportedly represents a state whose citizens fought valiantly to ensure that flag, and the ideas it represents, were discarded.

Walker needs the vote of the traitor states, and Walker never really cared about Wisconsin citizens in the first place.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
So discourse around this tragedy is gonna be pretty much entirely about the flag, huh

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Jagchosis posted:

So discourse around this tragedy is gonna be pretty much entirely about the flag, huh

guess it's a lot more comfortable than talking about how close 1488 rhetoric can get to what drudge shits out

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
It annoys the hell out of me that the south smugly calls it the "War of Northern Aggression" and even though it would be juvenile as hell it'd be nice to see the North call it "That Time a Bunch of Racists Betrayed their Country."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

axeil posted:

It annoys the hell out of me that the south smugly calls it the "War of Northern Aggression" and even though it would be juvenile as hell it'd be nice to see the North call it "That Time a Bunch of Racists Betrayed their Country."

I think "Slaveholders' Rebellion" is a good one.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

Walker's a bought-out catamite for rich sociopaths.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

axeil posted:

No one in the South actually calls it that.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

I think "Slaveholders' Rebellion" is a good one.

"Slavehorders' Revolt" sounds better IMO.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
State's Rights is the ultimate, weak-sauce argument of those too cowardly (or, I suppose, untrustworthy) to offer an actual loving opinion.

Not stating that the State should decide to take it down is chickenshit. Calling it a State's issue dodges the fundamental question. Calling Gay Marriage a State's issue dodges a fundamental question. What do these people actually believe?

Do you believe that it should stay up, and you're too chickenshit to say so, because the part of the country that isn't loving crazy will rightfully crucify you for it in the court of public opinion?

Or do you believe that it DOES represent something evil and abhorrent, but you're too chickenshit to say so, because you honestly need the evil, abhorrent fuckers who want to keep it to vote for you?

EDIT: And which is worse?

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 21, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

GlyphGryph posted:

I think your analysis is correct and there is no legally significant difference.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Not like he's doing anything new or unheard of here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

berzerker posted:

No one in the South actually calls it that.

I guarantee you this is false.

• Locked thread