Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Len posted:

I was thinking about event coats at Gencon and I'm wondering if event runners decide the cost of events and if so do they see some return on it? For example True Dungeon has crazy production values and it's expensive. Do they see a return on the price?

If I remember correctly from when I looked at running some things you got a good chunk of the money from the event. Not sure what the % is offhand though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
e: I am hella wrong about everything

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 15, 2015

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Gencon charges a flat rate for normal events, same as if you paid in generics. Anything you set over that is profit.

True dungeon has more overhead from renting a giant chunk of floor space.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
from: http://community.gencon.com/files/folders/81972/download.aspx

Ticket prices are based on event lengths. The base price is $2.00 for every 2 hours and will be automatically
calculated when using the Event Submission Form. Duration is always rounded up.
Example: A 4-hour event will have a base price of $4.00. A 5-hour event will have a base price of
$6.00.
Event Host Policy IN15 ver. 15.0
Page 11 of 35
© 2007-2014, Gen Con LLC
If you would like to charge more for your event and get reimbursed for the difference, you must list the
amount you would like to receive per ticket in the additional fee field on the Event Submission Form. For
more information, refer to the Event Ticket Payment Policy & Process section.
For events with a final cost equal to or greater than $20/2 hours, an additional fee may be applied. The Gen
Con base price is effectively increased by an additional 10% of the final event cost in order to cover credit
card and processing fees. The final event cost will remain the same; the additional fee you requested will
be reduced.
Example: A 4-hour LARP would normally have a Gen Con base price of $4. If you submit an
additional fee of $36, then the final price of the event will be $40. That is equal to a cost of $20
per 2 hours, so instead of getting $36 for each ticketed player you had, you would only get $32:
$36 – the $4 admin fee (10% of the final event cost). If the final event cost had been $38, there
would not have been a fee.

HOW TO QUALIFY FOR COMPLIMENTARY GM BADGES
Gaming groups and companies can earn complimentary GM badges based on the number of events they submit.
EOs/GMs can earn 1 GM badge for every 70 player-hours worth of events they run. A GM can only earn 1
badge.
Each event generates a number of player-hours equal to its duration multiplied by the maximum number of
players, as indicated on the event submission form.
Example: A 4-hour RPG for 6 players would generate 24 player-hours. A GM would need to run
three such games to qualify for a GM badge (4 hours x 6 players x 3 games = 72 player-hours).
 Tournaments use the “minimum play time” to determine player-hours, instead of the overall
duration of the event.
Example: A 10-hour TCG tournament for 64 players with a minimum play time of 2 hours (i.e. the
first round in which players might be eliminated is only 2 hours long) would generate 128 playerhours
(2 hours x 64 players), not 640 (10 hours x 64 players).
 Free events do not generate any player-hour credit.
Independent GMs must purchase an attendee badge. The cost of their badge can be reimbursed after the
convention.

HOW TO QUALIFY FOR COMPLIMENTARY HOTEL ROOMS IN THE GM ROOM BLOCK
Gaming groups that have a long-standing working relationship with Gen Con and qualify for hotel
reimbursement based on event submissions can ask for pre-paid, complimentary rooms.
 One complimentary room (based on assumed 4-person occupancy) can be requested for every
800 player-hours the group has generated.
 Space is limited and assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis.
 Hotel reimbursement requests do not need to be submitted for complimentary rooms.
 Gen Con is only responsible for room cost and tax. All other incidentals (parking, phone, food)
are the responsibility of the guests in the room.
Each event generates a number of player-hours equal to its duration multiplied by the maximum number of
players, as indicated on the event submission form.
Example: A 4-hour RPG for 8 players would generate 32 player-hours. A gaming group would
need to run 25 such games to qualify for a GM hotel room (4 hours x 8 players x 25 games = 800
player-hours).
 Tournaments use the “minimum play time” to determine player-hours, instead of the overall
duration of the event.
Example: A 10-hour TCG tournament for 64 players with a minimum play time of 2 hours (i.e. the
first round in which players might be eliminated is only 2 hours long) would generate 128 playerhours
(2 hours x 64 players), not 640 (10 hours x 64 players).
 Free events do not generate any player-hour credit.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I figured there was something like that because of how much things like True Dungeon and Artemis cost.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
How long does it usually take for Gencon to review and approve events? I put in two events for Spirit of 77 like two weeks ago and they're still sitting at waiting for approval.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Bucnasti posted:

How long does it usually take for Gencon to review and approve events? I put in two events for Spirit of 77 like two weeks ago and they're still sitting at waiting for approval.

Apparently there's a huge backlog this year and they're super-slow at approving stuff. The Delta Green panels STILL aren't up.

Grinspork
Jun 20, 2004

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

Bucnasti posted:

Just let us know here first so eager people like me can hop on.... Yes....

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Len posted:

I was thinking about event coats at Gencon

I read this and immediately thought of Goons each wearing white coats and just recognizing each other as this weird white blazer mafia.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Four people have bought tickets to the Waifu/Hasubando Meet & Greet.

And the fact the MY LITTLE PONY Paint Your Own Pony Workshops are sold out makes me sad.

Len fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 17, 2015

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Len posted:

Four people have bought tickets to the Waifu/Hasubando Meet & Greet.

And the fact the MY LITTLE PONY Paint Your Own Pony Workshops are sold out makes me sad.

At least they will be sequestered away from everyone else for a few hours.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
3 new Delta Green events went live this morning if that's your flavor. I nabbed a slot in the Friday one. DG usually sells out super-fast so hop on them if you want them!

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Badge showed up in the mail today. Aww yeah. :toot:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

ritorix posted:

Badge showed up in the mail today. Aww yeah. :toot:

Same! This makes it real.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Lawen posted:

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me!

I never deleted the room from last year so if you were in GroupMe last year it should be pretty easy to rejoin but in case it's not... (Quarex, add to OP plz)
And I never deleted your post from last year :smug:

I feel like there is less chatter in there this year than last year, but do I REALLY know when people started talking all the time? No. I just feel like every time I would look at my phone during a break from training I would have to scroll for 5 minutes to get to the top of the conversation.

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I read this and immediately thought of Goons each wearing white coats and just recognizing each other as this weird white blazer mafia.
Realistically we tend to recognize each other based on the fact that we all already know each other.

Speaking of lying, feel free to fill in your false personal information in Nesbit37's bodacious Goon Spreadsheet if you have not noticed it the last few times it came up. I do not know how useful it is overall, but I remember at least two people actually got my number from there and texted me last year!!! Though obviously GroupMe is more useful for group discussions.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Hoping that my 3rd attempt at getting my badge delivered works better than the first 2. :ohdear:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

After the year I left my badge at home I will call every time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Any board games come out in the last year that should be considered a "must find" at Gencon? I want to see if I can try out Tragedy Looper and the Alien card game but not sure what else I should look for.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Len posted:

Any board games come out in the last year that should be considered a "must find" at Gencon? I want to see if I can try out Tragedy Looper and the Alien card game but not sure what else I should look for.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/184821/gen-con-2015-preview

That's the list published have provided thus far regarding new/upcoming titles. They specifically request titles released since April, anything not yet released or being previewed. Not all publishers have provided their info yet, but it's a start.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

There's going to be a Ghostbusters game. Holy poo poo. Gonna demo that game...just to be horribly disappointed.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Len posted:

There's going to be a Ghostbusters game. Holy poo poo. Gonna demo that game...just to be horribly disappointed.

You will be disappointed. Check out the kickstarter to get an idea of the rules.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Crackbone posted:

You will be disappointed. Check out the kickstarter to get an idea of the rules.

It doesn't look as bad as I expected it to but still not really that great.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
isn't it just Zombicide with the Ghostbuster IP slapped on top of it?

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
From what little I've read it seems so. Sadly, as much as I like Ghostbusters I'll skip that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Has anyone used restaurant.com for Gencon? I can get a $50 card for $7 and I'm not sure if that's going to be useful at all down there.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Quarex posted:

Speaking of lying, feel free to fill in your false personal information in Nesbit37's bodacious Goon Spreadsheet if you have not noticed it the last few times it came up. I do not know how useful it is overall, but I remember at least two people actually got my number from there and texted me last year!!! Though obviously GroupMe is more useful for group discussions.

I've been a little slow on the thread, but FWIW the spreadsheet has been personally useful when trying to find goons with similar game interests and free time blocks roughly the same as mine, as well as contacting individual goons that may or may not be in Group Me. Last year (or maybe the year before?) a goon decided to sell a copy of 13th Age because they got a new one at the con and I had to contact them through traditional text since groupme was killing my battery and I had to turn it off. They're both useful for sure.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Pez posted:

From what little I've read it seems so. Sadly, as much as I like Ghostbusters I'll skip that.

I wish they'd just sell the minis separately.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I just picked up the expansions for The Resistance; some of which just make base resistance play like Avalon (so whatever) but others that add wacky stuff like roles that can switch sides or the ability for the leader to play spy trapper and decide on a mission team and then have one person's card not count.

Just mentioning that since it was sort of our go-to thing in the past.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Anybody here interested in doing trades/sales for Gencon pickup? I've got a ton of stuff I'd like to unload and it'd be cheaper to sell direct than via consignment.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Crackbone posted:

Anybody here interested in doing trades/sales for Gencon pickup? I've got a ton of stuff I'd like to unload and it'd be cheaper to sell direct than via consignment.

Possibly? I'd need to know what exactly you want to get rid of.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Steam Noir: Revolution
Revolver 1
Revolver 2
Lagoon: Land of Druids (KS edition)
Fresco: Big Box (with KS board)
Seasons w/ both expansion and promo cards (air elemental, orb of ragfeld)
San Juan 2nd edition
Power Grid
Power Grid Deluxe: North America/Europe
Temporum
Ladies and Gentlemen
City of Horror
Hanabi
Forbidden Island (with bonus deck of extra island layouts and roles printed at Artscow)
Coup KS Edition
Ticket to ride map packs: Asia and India/Switzerland
Tragedy Looper
Black Fleet
Quantum
Lewis & Clark
Sherrif of Nottingham (with all promos except preorder one)
Lords of Waterdeep
7 Wonders
Dungeon Twister: the card game

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Crackbone posted:

Revolver 1
Revolver 2
San Juan 2nd edition
Power Grid
Temporum
Ladies and Gentlemen
City of Horror
Hanabi
Forbidden Island (with bonus deck of extra island layouts and roles printed at Artscow)
Coup KS Edition
Tragedy Looper
Black Fleet
Quantum
Lewis & Clark
Lords of Waterdeep
7 Wonders

Tragedy Looper is on my list of things to try at Gencon. It sounds fun but I can't guarantee I'll want to buy it after I get to check it out. City of Horror also sounds kind of cool.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

Last year (or maybe the year before?) a goon decided to sell a copy of 13th Age because they got a new one at the con and I had to contact them through traditional text since groupme was killing my battery and I had to turn it off. They're both useful for sure.
Yeah that makes sense. I think I turned my phone off every afternoon for that same reason. If only I were smart like Mudcrab Merchant and her Literally Endless Supply of Portable Chargers

Peas and Rice posted:

I wish they'd just sell the minis separately.
Haha. That is like how I felt when I saw the Saturday Night Live game, or the Christmas Story game. "Those miniatures...they are so amazing...but...but ugh. Buying a whole game for a miniature..." (so I waited until the Saturday Night Live game was on clearance)

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Crackbone posted:

Revolver 1
Revolver 2
San Juan 2nd edition
Power Grid
Temporum
Ladies and Gentlemen
City of Horror
Hanabi
Coup KS Edition
Tragedy Looper
Black Fleet
Quantum
Lewis & Clark
Lords of Waterdeep
7 Wonders

I'd take city of horror off of your hands, pm me

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I'll bring two brand new games for sell/trade; Legendary Encounters: Alien and Descent 2.0.

Pretty open to anything that's good.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bottom Liner posted:

I'll bring two brand new games for sell/trade; Legendary Encounters: Alien and Descent 2.0.

Pretty open to anything that's good.

Legendary Encounters: Alien is the other thing I plan to try and find at Gencon. How much are you thinking?

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Crackbone posted:

Revolver 1
Revolver 2
San Juan 2nd edition
Power Grid
Temporum
Ladies and Gentlemen
City of Horror
Hanabi
Coup KS Edition
Tragedy Looper
Black Fleet
Quantum
Lewis & Clark
Lords of Waterdeep
7 Wonders

I could be interested in Tragedy Looper. Won't know for sure until we get closer to the event.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Len posted:

Legendary Encounters: Alien is the other thing I plan to try and find at Gencon. How much are you thinking?

Probably $45? I gotta make sure I can fit it in my bag on my flight though, the box is a kinda big.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Crackbone posted:

Revolver 1
Revolver 2
San Juan 2nd edition
Power Grid
Temporum
Ladies and Gentlemen
City of Horror
Hanabi
Coup KS Edition
Tragedy Looper
Black Fleet
Quantum
Lewis & Clark
Lords of Waterdeep
7 Wonders

Depending on what you are asking I may be interested in Sheriff of Nottingham and Ladies and Gentlemen. I also may have some stuff to swap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bottom Liner posted:

Probably $45? I gotta make sure I can fit it in my bag on my flight though, the box is a kinda big.

If you can I'll take it at that price. I almost impulse bought it at $60 and $45 is way better. I doubt I'd find it cheaper at a booth.

• Locked thread