Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"You, you passed the man on the cart. And YOU, you helped the child out of the well... But the first guy was polite about it and the second guy was a REAL rear end in a top hat about it, so guess how that rates."

I suppose if you wanted to taunt metagamers, you could have A cat chasing a wounded canary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I'm a big fan of the judge just endlessly criticises everything the players have done, if they stop to help the cart, it shows a lack of concern for the big picture, if they don't help a cat out a tree they are heartless monsters unconcerned with the problems of their lessers, if they don't give a beggar water they are selfish, if they do, they are ignoring the importance of their quest on trivial matters etc. And the real lesson is to stand up against the judge for what they believe in, and that the truly noble of spirit should be assured and confident in the strength of their goals and convictions.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
Thanks to everyone for all the responses thus far. It's helping me look at the puzzle from angles I hadn't considered yet.

I'll keep checking in, so if anyone else has any ideas, keep posting!

As to some specific posts:

Khizan posted:

Ideally you'd screw them either way.

I can respect a classic DM response :golfclap:

Section Z posted:

...I suppose if you wanted to taunt metagamers, you could have A cat chasing a wounded canary

As long as it's a yellow canary, this is golden :haw:
I don't know if any of them have read the Dragonlance books that this features in; though enough may have read the Bahamut Wiki that they know this story either way, which would make it fun.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Having either helping or not helping shouldn't be favored. Different benefits and complications, sure. Or using it as context to evaluate their motivations, sure. But a big picture/help everyone dilemma shouldn't have a binary right or wrong answer.

Prison Warden posted:

I'm a big fan of the judge just endlessly criticises everything the players have done, if they stop to help the cart, it shows a lack of concern for the big picture, if they don't help a cat out a tree they are heartless monsters unconcerned with the problems of their lessers, if they don't give a beggar water they are selfish, if they do, they are ignoring the importance of their quest on trivial matters etc. And the real lesson is to stand up against the judge for what they believe in, and that the truly noble of spirit should be assured and confident in the strength of their goals and convictions.

This is a great idea, with one caveat. The trick will be making it feel like a defense they give would matter, rather than the "tests failed" result being a DM railroad. It'll probably be OK, since my players know I pretty much never put them on rails of any kind, but I'll have to be delicate.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 10, 2015

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
The best advice I can give is to have a plan ready for how the plot progresses if the players fail the test. Ideally find some way for the players to discover that there's another, tougher way too. That way, their passing the test isn't a foregone conclusion and the test actually has some tension to it.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

So I'm converting Planescape to 4e for a let's play/podcast I'm running of Infinite Staircase/Modron March/A few others.

I wanted to handle planar alterations to spells in a slightly more subtle way then the 2e original setting, but still be noticeable. Doing things like maxing certain spell's damage on some planes, or altering it's type.

The chapter my players are currently about to engage in takes place on a lawful plane adjacent to Mechanus (LN) so I was thinking of having all magic attack and damage rolls be rolled twice and averaged. (This game is done on roll20, so this will just be a macro I implement.)

Is this to subtle?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Moriatti posted:

So I'm converting Planescape to 4e for a let's play/podcast I'm running of Infinite Staircase/Modron March/A few others.

I wanted to handle planar alterations to spells in a slightly more subtle way then the 2e original setting, but still be noticeable. Doing things like maxing certain spell's damage on some planes, or altering it's type.

The chapter my players are currently about to engage in takes place on a lawful plane adjacent to Mechanus (LN) so I was thinking of having all magic attack and damage rolls be rolled twice and averaged. (This game is done on roll20, so this will just be a macro I implement.)

Is this to subtle?
Not at all. As long as it's a temporary thing, that sounds pretty rad. If you don't want to break the critical hit builds, make a 20 still count as long as the other die is 11+. That will preserve the 1/20 crit chance. Do the same for extended crit range stuff, too, and probably the opposite (1s auto miss if the other die is 10 or lower).

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

Not at all. As long as it's a temporary thing, that sounds pretty rad. If you don't want to break the critical hit builds, make a 20 still count as long as the other die is 11+. That will preserve the 1/20 crit chance. Do the same for extended crit range stuff, too, and probably the opposite (1s auto miss if the other die is 10 or lower).

This would not actually preserve the crit chance exactly, as the probability of a crit becomes P(first die=20, second die above 10)+P(first die above ten, second die =20)-P(both dies at 20) which is 0.0475, but I would almost consider that a feature, since it makes statistically unusual events more unusual.

Honestly, I think that just making all non-maximized damage to be it's avarage is better, as it doesn't muck up the combat math, and won't penalize crit builds at all.
And simply not touch the attack rolls.

MatteusTheCorrupt fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 14, 2015

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
If you want to maintain the same power-level while providing a fun-feeling and interesting die-trick mechanic, just make all powers that match the current planar attunement Brutal-1. It increases the minimum damage by 1 point per die, but only increases the average damage by 0.5 points per die and does not affect the maximum damage.

It should result in your players having less truly-bad encounters but prevents them from face-rolling any they wouldn't have already.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 15, 2015

cybertier
May 2, 2013
I don't know if you guys can help me but I am preparing my first session (The Slaying Stone), that I'll run tomorrow and I can't get masterplan to work.

I have the CompendiumImport Plugin installed (1.1.1) and I can start it. I can choose "The Slaying Stone" as a source and I can see the various creatues.
BUT, I can't import them to anything. The "Add to" button is grey and the dropdownlist is empty. What do I add creatures to? I have a campaign, I have a combat encounter, still the list stays empty.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't know if it's that exact problem, but Masterplan got into hot water in a big way about the ability to copy copyrighted materials, i.e. transfer libraries and copy from the compendium. Could be they had to remove that functionality specifically. Only comfort I can offer is that entering creatures into libraries manually is super quick. Just do only the ones you need immediately and you'll be done before you know it.

On the other hand, you're going to need to create a new library in the first place - go to Tools > Libraries, create a new library there, and see if that works but I strongly suspect you'll have to do it by hand anyway.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hi guys.

I last played 4th edition regularly uhhhh, four or five years ago? I canceled my D&D Insider subscription around the time they killed the offline client (which let me build in house rules) in favor of the web client (which didn't).

But now, my friend has talked me into running a game for him and his daughter and a couple of my buddies. Probably going to be using Roll20 for live online play, plus the occasional in-person game session.

I never bought Essentials, but otherwise I have a lot of the 4th edition stuff: PHB1-3, DMG 1-2, the five Power books, MM 1-2.

What is the state of the art in terms of GM's tools for running non-Essentials D&D 4E?

Also is there a handy single reference for the good houserules to use? I'm thinking about the free feat (to account for what is otherwise the feat tax at every x levels), I vaguely remember something about implements/focus items and their inherent bonuses, etc. Also is there a good set of character and GM software tools to parallel what we had with the offline clients? Does D&D Insider provide any value for a 4e player now?

Did anyone ever come up with a way to make skill challenges work?

e. I found the install folder on my old hard drive that has Character Builder and Adventure Tools. Is there a way to make these work? They're not properly installed, and they don't run correctly when I try to start them.

e2 It occurred to me to read the OP, derp. Last updated over a year ago... is the info there still reasonably correct? Seems to recommend Insider.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 20, 2015

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I like insider because I can just hand out a username+password to my less tech savvy friends and they can make a dude that is then on the cloud. However, the homebrew additions to the offline builder are better/more powerful.

As for house rules, I made this for a friend running 4e, it also has general GM advice.

Also, I'd recommend everyone writing their powers in macros. It makes life much better.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think Masterplan is still the gold standard, although if you're using Roll20 you won't need/can't use a large part of it, the combat tracker. Still useful to keep campaign notes, set up encounters and so on.

The Monster Manuals revealed a few design flaws over the years. MM3 featured reworked math and enemy designs, and Essentials came up with the Monster Vault, which contains most of the iconic D&D monsters you'd find in MM1 and 2 redone after the new design guidelines. I strongly recommend tracking a copy down, the critters in there work fine with non-Essentials characters (usually better than MM ones). Equally useful is the Rules Compendium, which has all the basic rules for the game with errata worked in, although if you have the DMGs that's probably fine.

Common houserules are: one free expertise feat, free Improved Defenses (+2 to Fort/Ref/Will in heroic, +3 paragon, +4 epic), and inherent bonuses - those are from DMG2 and make it so you don't need new magic items every few levels just to keep up with the expected attack/defense bonuses. A lot of folks give out free Melee Training as well.

If you can get the offline Character Builder to run, you can even update it (inofficially) with all the new material that's come out since then, including Essentials... is the thread we had for that even still around?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Did anyone ever come up with a way to make skill challenges work?

Drop the "X successes before Y failures" model and use "X rolls to proceed, failures introduce some kind of complication." If the party blows their Thievery checks to open the vizier's vault, they get it open just in time for some guards to round the corner. Or they get it open and it's empty except for a note that says "DEAR PCS - YOU ARE DUMB AND SMELL BAD xoxo VILLAIN FROM A PREVIOUS ENCOUNTER"

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Pretty much that, yeah. Skill challenges are fine in terms of their XP value, but the model doesn't work that well. Vigorous application of fail forward principles make them fine.

Also, get the CBLoader if it's still available.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I translated MM3 on a business card and it's follow-up HP adjustment into a single handy chart:

And then you can use these links (1) and (2) for creating damage expressions for the monsters' abilities.

For general skill checks, refer to this errata:

link to original WOTC article

Skill challenges: I wrote for a friend as I was trying to explain, but I haven't been playing so long as to claim that I have it right, and this is just my take

quote:

The problem with how it's usually presented and then subsequently used is that the DM presents a single obstacle, then asks the group to come up with an appropriate skill to get past it.

If there are ghosts guarding a hallway and the Cleric uses a successful Religion check to commune with the ghosts to let them pass, that's it - the whole party gets to pass and the DM shouldn't have the Fighter come up with a skill check to get past the ghosts, or for the Rogue to come up with a skill check to get past the ghosts. Rather, the entire passage through the temple should be a skill challenge. You come to a hallway filled by ghosts - the Cleric Religion's you past it. You come to a tunnel blocked by rubble - the Fighter Athletic's the rocks out of the way. You come to a locked door - the Rogue Thievery's the keys out of the nearby guard. You end up at the evil, desecrated altar - the Wizard Arcana's the ritual to summon the unholy presence corrupting the temple ... and you all roll for initiative.

Look at the example presented in DMG2:

A demonic creature called forth by a mysterious ritual has attacked the characters, and now they need to find out where it came from. In this skill challenge, the characters make use of their deductive powers (Perception and Insight), their ability to navigate the streets and denizens of the city (Streetwise, Diplomacy, and Intimidate), and their knowledge of or research about the demon itself (Arcana). The characters must assemble what clues they have into a coherent picture of the threat that faces them as they make their way down to the lowest levels of the city to find the source of that threat.

The things to apply your skills against are never the same things over and over. The DM puts up a barrier, and asks someone in the group to try and get past it. Then he puts up another, different barrier, and asks someone in the group to try and get past it. And so on and so forth. There's some, or even a lot of leeway for what skills are applicable, but you definitely don't need to have every player scour their sheet for a high skill that matches or rack their brain for how their high skill applies simply by not asking every player to come up with an approach against the obstacle every time.

Putting up a single barrier then asking everyone to narratively twist their skills to all roll against that one obstacle feels bad and disjointed, but that's not how it was supposed to work.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Also, don't use set skills for *ANYTHING* at all. Set up a problem, and be open to any way the players might come up with to solve it, rather than saying 'this scene has them convincing the king to do a thing so they will need a diplomacy or bluff check' - maybe they can be convincing to the king by citing Historical precedent, or Arcanely loving with his mind, or Athletically arm wrestling him to prove their prowess etc etc etc. If they just say 'I wanna roll $skill' feel free to say yes, but ask them to describe what's actually going on with the characters. Similarly, if they come up with an elaborate plan without an obvious skill to back it up (typically, things like loving with and/or understanding architecture are poorly handled in 4e) feel free to come up with a skill that vaguely fits and the relevant character(s) have a chance to succeed at. But most importantly, don't hinge the plot on success; the plot should happen anyway, but how well or badly it happens for the PCs is what they're rolling for. Failing the check should never just mean that nothing happens.

Basically, don't be Mike Mearls in the early 5e playtests, one of which almost literally opened with him saying 'make a WIS check' and everyone making and failing said check, and him just saying '...make another WIS check' and this repeating until someone finally succeeded in the check to activate the plot.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

I translated MM3 on a business card and it's follow-up HP adjustment into a single handy chart:

And then you can use these links (1) and (2) for creating damage expressions for the monsters' abilities.

:worship: thanks for this, makes my life much easier. Elites you add 25% more Hp and Solo 50% right?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

frajaq posted:

:worship: thanks for this, makes my life much easier. Elites you add 25% more Hp and Solo 50% right?
2x and 4x, respectively. Give Elites a double attack and minor action denial resistance, and give Solos several turns and strong action denial resistance.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

thespaceinvader posted:

Pretty much that, yeah. Skill challenges are fine in terms of their XP value, but the model doesn't work that well. Vigorous application of fail forward principles make them fine.

Also, get the CBLoader if it's still available.

Does anyone even use XP any more? Just level up once you're tired of either the selection of monsters at your current level or the powers your party have. I recommend every couple of sessions - a sixty session campaign is plenty.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Gort posted:

Does anyone even use XP any more?
Part of the issue is that the XP guidelines assume, what, 13 fights per level? And just how much of that would be worthless filler? (Hint: About 90% of it.)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, thirteen fights a level would be fine if those fights were what, seven minutes each? That ain't happening in 4e.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Honestly, I think thirteen unique enemies (that is, counting all minions of a certain type as 'one') a level is kind of pushing it, much less full fights.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Gort posted:

Does anyone even use XP any more? Just level up once you're tired of either the selection of monsters at your current level or the powers your party have. I recommend every couple of sessions - a sixty session campaign is plenty.

This is a good point actually - don't use XP for anything other than encounter design; level the PCs, as a group, at story-appropriate moments or every third session whichever is the shorter. Use fewer sessions/level if they're infrequent or people are getting bored, more if they're very frequent or people are enjoying things as they are.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

At the same time, 4e kind of bogs down and breaks apart at epic levels, so don't rush too much. I help our GM plan our encounters so we talk a lot about keeping combat fresh and he's told me we're probably not going to go far into epic because of how the game gets by then. We do something like 4-6 fights each level (divided into 2 adventuring days) and while the latter half usually has me wishing we'd just level up already, I kind of agree with him.

Too bad I'm playing a critfisher who does subpar striker damage until epic. :v:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thanks for all the help, guys. I found out about the CBLoader thing and I now have that working with the last updates for it, so that's great.

For XP, I do hand out XPs per encounter, because that's fun and gives players a sense of progress... but I also hand out story XP, and it's usually much more than the encounter stuff. I try to pace it so that "A campaign" divides up not into "adventures" (which could be long or short and aren't often well-defined) but rather "Chapters", where the characters would level up every chapter. A chapter, then, corresponds to a narrative structure rather than a specific set of goals or accomplishments; each chapter should represent a set of connected scenes, a turning point in the story where the overarching situation has changed, a shift in the group's view of the story, or something like that. The specifics depend a lot on what kind of story your group is telling.

When I was running my Primals PbP a few years ago, the game was about a coming-of-age story; also about exploration and discovery; also about uncovering a spiritual crisis slowly taking place within the characters' tribe; also about an unfolding of their previously-limited cultural perspective. So, a "chapter" was represented by things like: the characters' discovery that they were Out Of Their Comfort Zone in a big way; the point where they negotiated their way past first contact with outsiders; a pivotal scene when they contacted a major spirit (the raven spirit, as in, the demigod of all ravens) and were given a task; A fight where the characters were in very serious peril (e.g, it was possible to have one or more die during the encounter); and so on.

So, little tokens of progress, cheevos if you will, can be a good thing... and since not every encounter or scene is going to involve loot, getting a few XPs is a nice always-there cheevo to collect. Whereas leveling is going to happen at a narratively appropriate pace, but also not just randomly after some encounter where you happened to cross the levelup threshold. It should "make sense" in the context of the story that the characters have discovered newfound power and ability, but that doesn't always have to mean they've had a week of downtime in some town in which to train and do exercises.

The thirteen fights thing is only relevant if you don't do story XP. It's been years since I carefully read the 4e DMG but I'm pretty sure it suggests story XP right there in the book.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Leperflesh posted:

The thirteen fights thing is only relevant if you don't do story XP. It's been years since I carefully read the 4e DMG but I'm pretty sure it suggests story XP right there in the book.

Yup, that's right. In fact, every edition of D&D has suggested doling out XP for "story", or "milestones" or "plot" or "roleplaying", or even just showing up at a session and it's never expected that you'd earn XP purely through combat encounters.

They just have to keep using the numerical XP thing for the purposes of organized play, modules and encounter building.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's supposed to be thirteen encounters with the game assuming you're going to do three per session, so basically a level every four sessions, IIRC. That's still off by quite a bit compared to the rate at which I hand out levels.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

GimmickMan posted:

At the same time, 4e kind of bogs down and breaks apart at epic levels, so don't rush too much. I help our GM plan our encounters so we talk a lot about keeping combat fresh and he's told me we're probably not going to go far into epic because of how the game gets by then. We do something like 4-6 fights each level (divided into 2 adventuring days) and while the latter half usually has me wishing we'd just level up already, I kind of agree with him.

Too bad I'm playing a critfisher who does subpar striker damage until epic. :v:

Yeah, the sweet spot is definitely 11-16 in 4e. Not to say it's bad outside that range, but it's best inside it.

Here To Help
Aug 16, 2008
I posted about selling my 4e collection several months ago in this thread and I've finally put up a thread on SA mart. You can find it here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3727322 if anyone is interested in filling out their collection with some physical books.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yo I always thought one same-level encounter gave you exactly 1/10 of the experience needed to gain a level. What am I missing about this 13 thing?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yo I always thought one same-level encounter gave you exactly 1/10 of the experience needed to gain a level. What am I missing about this 13 thing?

I'm seeing the same thing:

1000 XP to get to level 2
100 XP for a Standard level 1 monster

8000 XP to get to level 14 (47 000 XP - 37 000 XP)
800 XP for a Standard level 13 monster

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.
An 'encounter' doesn't have to be a fight with same level enemies. You might have some under or over budget fights, you might award experience for the 'encounter' with the guy who sent you out on your current quest, or when you bargained with that noble to let you explore the caves on their land.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Nothing. Lemon's just wrong - 13.33 was the guideline for suggested encounters to level in 3e, not 4e. 4e takes 8 to 10 encounters - see "Encounter Mix," page 104 of the DMG.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Phew. Thought I'd been doing something incredibly wrong for the past 4-5 years.

Although:

Misandu posted:

An 'encounter' doesn't have to be a fight with same level enemies. You might have some under or over budget fights, you might award experience for the 'encounter' with the guy who sent you out on your current quest, or when you bargained with that noble to let you explore the caves on their land.
True! By the Rules Compendium that's handled through quest XP, but I don't much like defining quests so rigidly. Usually I just generously round up XP every other session or so and call that the story part.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So I looked at my bookshelf today and came to a weird realization that, apart from MME, I haven't cracked open a 4e book in maybe two years, despite running the game weekly.

It's awesome, mind you, but a bit uncanny. Between Compendium and Character Builder, I'm pretty well covered...

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Wow, just level up after the conclusion of each adventure or just every 2-3 sessions. You have to be a loving pedant to track xp now everyone levels at the same rate.

No wonder so few games make it out of single digits.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

starkebn posted:

Wow, just level up after the conclusion of each adventure or just every 2-3 sessions. You have to be a loving pedant to track xp now everyone levels at the same rate.

No wonder so few games make it out of single digits.

Tracking XP is a fun reward for playing specifically because it makes things numerically available and visible. Players like imagining how far they have to go and seeing their progress.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If play rewards were money, XP would be company scrip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
One of the players in our group is high-functioning ASD and loves tracking XP. The DM doles them out to all of us equally and we all level up at the same time on his schedule, but the player gets to have his fun and be the XP guy. Everybody's happy.