Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

overdesigned posted:

Demanding all manufacturers refit their drones with transponders at their expense within 18 months isn't it, but neither is doing nothing.

Wouldn't every drone manufacture in existence simply close up shop, and then re-open as a different business after a while (or sell)? Or if a non-US country, simply flip Uncle Sam the bird?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

overdesigned posted:

The current hobby drone "guidelines" from the AMA/FAA are actually pretty good--don't fly above 400'AGL, don't fly within 5mi of towered airports without asking tower, don't fly beyond visual range of the operator, don't fly where failure of the drone could injure bystanders. You could make an okay case for good first-person-video equipped drones to be able to fly beyond visual range, but eh, whatever.

The problem is that, as mentioned, people don't follow them because there's no enforcement. So I don't know what the real solution is. Demanding all manufacturers refit their drones with transponders at their expense within 18 months isn't it, but neither is doing nothing.

Does the average person flying drones know what any of that means?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Stupid Post Maker posted:

Does the average person flying drones know what any of that means?

This is the disconnect. Having been in the multirotor/FPV/RC hobby for a little while, the level of basic aeronautical knowledge is extremely low, even with experienced hobbyists. Those that stay in the hobby for a long while tend to develop a feel for basic concepts, but even they sometimes cannot effectively communicate with the aviation community, because of the differences in language between them.

The AVERAGE person with a DJI phantom probably knows nothing more about aviation and aviating than how to give Southwest his credit card number.

Enforcement doesn't help if the entire community is oblivious not just to the law, but to the concepts the law is in place to protect/regulate.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
What about simply registering all drones at the time of purchase and subscribing to some kind of "rules and regs" newsletter?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
That would be great but the manufacturers and retailers are mostly non-us so they will never lift a finger to do that.

It is a tough problem to solve just like it is hard to get people to stop texting/drinking/whatever while driving. At the end of the day you cant stop idiots with laws you can only punish them after they gently caress up.

I am glad that the multirotor/fpv community is moving away from low range/high altitude and has really moved towards low altitude short range racing. It is so much more of a challenge and keeps them away from fullsize traffic.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Congratulations on the aeroplane helno!

Looks like a whole lot of fun.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

overdesigned posted:

The current hobby drone "guidelines" from the AMA/FAA are actually pretty good--don't fly above 400'AGL, don't fly within 5mi of towered airports without asking tower, don't fly beyond visual range of the operator, don't fly where failure of the drone could injure bystanders. You could make an okay case for good first-person-video equipped drones to be able to fly beyond visual range, but eh, whatever.

The problem is that, as mentioned, people don't follow them because there's no enforcement. So I don't know what the real solution is. Demanding all manufacturers refit their drones with transponders at their expense within 18 months isn't it, but neither is doing nothing.

Except that non-towered airports have airplanes below 400 feet too (and I believe the FAA rules recognize that and say to contact the airport operator). And I'd argue that FPV is worse for situation awareness. You're focused on wherever the camera is pointing (probably the ground) and even if you heard an airplane you'd not see it in any timely manner.

I think the current rules are ok although they may need to be enforced more by firmware and when you do need to fly higher then requiring training on airspace and coordination to do so.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Had another flying lesson today. I have never used cocaine but I can't imagine it being more addicting than this.

Has anyone ever actually found water after doing fuel sumping? I'm not going to skip it but I'm curious how often impurities actually happen.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Hauldren Collider posted:

Had another flying lesson today. I have never used cocaine but I can't imagine it being more addicting than this.

Has anyone ever actually found water after doing fuel sumping? I'm not going to skip it but I'm curious how often impurities actually happen.

Several times. Found water on my most recent flight on the second leg. It's super obvious when it happens, so if you haven't had someone demonstrate it for you don't worry. It's like oil and water in a glass.

You probably know this already but always sniff, examine, and feel the fuel sample too. If you get one with ALL water and compare it to a blue sky you may be less likely to notice it.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 21, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Edit: ha, been years since I messed this up.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Training/rental airplanes are just about the least likely place to find water in fuel, but it can and does happen. The surest way is to park an airplane overnight, or for long periods, with the fuel tanks less than full. The cold mass of fuel causes water to condense out of the air inside the tanks in the morning, where it gets entrained in the fuel.

Training/rental airplanes get used a lot, which not only keeps the water mixed and dispersed in the fuel through agitation, but the fuel gets burned off regularly, and the tanks are generally topped off after use, minimizing the air space in the tanks for water to condense in the first place. :eng101:

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

The Ferret King posted:

Several times. Found water on my most recent flight on the second leg. It's super obvious when it happens, so if you haven't had someone demonstrate it for you don't worry. It's like oil and water in a glass.

You probably know this already but always sniff, examine, and feel the fuel sample too. If you get one with ALL water and compare it to a blue sky you may be less likely to notice it.

Feel? Lol do I have to? I'm not too thrilled about the idea of pouring leaded gas on my hands...

MrYenko posted:

Training/rental airplanes are just about the least likely place to find water in fuel, but it can and does happen. The surest way is to park an airplane overnight, or for long periods, with the fuel tanks less than full. The cold mass of fuel causes water to condense out of the air inside the tanks in the morning, where it gets entrained in the fuel.

Training/rental airplanes get used a lot, which not only keeps the water mixed and dispersed in the fuel through agitation, but the fuel gets burned off regularly, and the tanks are generally topped off after use, minimizing the air space in the tanks for water to condense in the first place. :eng101:

Right, that makes sense. I was thinking it probably happens less in rentals for reasons along those lines (namely the gas gets used a lot and replaced).

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Feel? Lol do I have to? I'm not too thrilled about the idea of pouring leaded gas on my hands...

Nah, just assume there's no Jet A contamination in the fuel.

Seriously though just pour a little bit on a piece of paper and see if it dries clear.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
ASEL commercial check ride Thursday, can't believe the day has come.

Assuming that goes well, next stop CFI.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

I suppose a piece of paper works too but you're going to get gas on your hands anyway. And oil. And dirt.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

I suppose a piece of paper works too but you're going to get gas on your hands anyway. And oil. And dirt.

You should be wearing proper PPE for the precedure including gloves, a nomex flight suit and a respirator.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I'll get right on it!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Seriously though glasses and some gloves would be a good idea.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Seriously though I'm not putting on protective gear to preflight the kind of airplanes I fly.

I also don't suit up to fill my car with gas.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
So a fun first phone call to the chief pilot was "about that ground school on Monday? I'm going in for an emergency appendectomy tonight it appears!" Recovering at home now. Anyone know what I do here re: medical? I don't need to actually fly for a month plus and appendectomy seems like it's probably a routine self-ground, declare on next medical assuming no complications but if anybody knows otherwise would appreciate the details. Oh and work was super cool, said just get better and they'll reschedule me. Sucks but Murphy's law eh?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The Slaughter posted:

So a fun first phone call to the chief pilot was "about that ground school on Monday? I'm going in for an emergency appendectomy tonight it appears!" Recovering at home now. Anyone know what I do here re: medical? I don't need to actually fly for a month plus and appendectomy seems like it's probably a routine self-ground, declare on next medical assuming no complications but if anybody knows otherwise would appreciate the details. Oh and work was super cool, said just get better and they'll reschedule me. Sucks but Murphy's law eh?

Get well, get well soon, we want you to get well!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

Seriously though I'm not putting on protective gear to preflight the kind of airplanes I fly.

I also don't suit up to fill my car with gas.

Tetraethyllead is readily absorbed through unbroken skin. When fueling your car you are never working above your head or taking samples of fuel. 100LL does have a low amount of lead but those lead compounds aren't things you gently caress with regarding exposure. Even very small amounts can have lasting physiological effects.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Tetraethyllead is readily absorbed through unbroken skin. When fueling your car you are never working above your head or taking samples of fuel. 100LL does have a low amount of lead but those lead compounds aren't things you gently caress with regarding exposure. Even very small amounts can have lasting physiological effects.

Holy poo poo. Ok, you've persuaded me. I'm wearing gloves.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Someone should tell all the CFIs. I nominate hobbesmaster.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I had a student had an engine seize on takeoff roll during one of his solos. He was lucky it did not happen 10 seconds later or he would have been dead. He swore he checked, buy we found over a liter of water between both wings. It was an old Cessna 150 so you have to rock the wingtips vigorously to force the water into the low point. Newer Cessna's solve this problem by having multiple sump points, but I still suggest you move the wingtips.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

Lead poisoning from 100LL the reason CFIs will jump at a $17k/yr "opportunity" at a regional? You decide!

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not worried about getting a bit of 100LL on my hands occasionally. Tetraethyl-lead is bad news, but getting half a teaspoon on bare skin will only give you 1.6% of the permissible skin exposure for TEL according to OSHA over an 8 hour period. So wash your hands after and don't pick your nose and you'll be fine.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npgd0601.html

http://www.statoilaviation.com/en_EN/pg1332347009500/ar1334072085837/SFRAviation/avgas100ll.html

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Holy poo poo. Ok, you've persuaded me. I'm wearing gloves.

The Ferret King posted:

Jealous Cow posted:

I'm not worried about getting a bit of 100LL on my hands occasionally. Tetraethyl-lead is bad news, but getting half a teaspoon on bare skin will only give you 1.6% of the permissible skin exposure for TEL according to OSHA over an 8 hour period. So wash your hands after and don't pick your nose and you'll be fine.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npgd0601.html

http://www.statoilaviation.com/en_EN/pg1332347009500/ar1334072085837/SFRAviation/avgas100ll.html

Yes small spills aren't going to kill you with lead poisoning if you wash your hands, but the point was to just be more careful than you would when using unleaded gas on your car.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Captain Apollo posted:

I just bought an airplane.

So what the gently caress did you buy? Its been five days stop being such a tease.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

The Slaughter posted:

Oh poo poo, my appendix! What now?

If you have a union they should have a medical rep if some sort. Call your LEC rep if you don't know who that is.

If non-Union call AOPA.

Either way you'll end up talking to someone who actually knows what the gently caress.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
I thought Apollo already owned a Mooney

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I think that was a relative of his girlfriend's.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

KodiakRS posted:

If you have a union they should have a medical rep if some sort. Call your LEC rep if you don't know who that is.

If non-Union call AOPA.

Either way you'll end up talking to someone who actually knows what the gently caress.

Yeah I don't have any info yet but should be in ALPA. A little research makes it sound as though what I thought: routine surgery, they don't care, self ground until fully recovered and then declare on next medical.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
He bought a Bonanza, RIP Apollo

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Well, as long as he's not a doctor he'll be fine! :v:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Animal posted:

Newer Cessna's solve this problem by having multiple sump points, but I still suggest you move the wingtips.

If I remember correctly from when I flew one to get my private certificate, 13 sump points. :negative:

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

fordan posted:

If I remember correctly from when I flew one to get my private certificate, 13 sump points. :negative:

Yep. 5 in each wing and 3 in the belly.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
When I had my appendix explode I was out for a month and a half.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Rickety Cricket posted:

Yep. 5 in each wing and 3 in the belly.

Why would you need five in each wing? The wing is canted up, so it should only have one point, by the fuselage...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Why would you need five in each wing? The wing is canted up, so it should only have one point, by the fuselage...

Something something lawyers

• Locked thread