Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
One nice thing about JJBA's power system is it prevents power creep from being a thing.

DIO is the villain of the first and third parts of an 8 part series and in the part where Araki is still figuring out stands, but his power is insane and probably would contend for the strongest ability even if it were in any other part.

And yet it honestly still couldn't beat Kars :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
One thing that might legitimately help with getting Part 4 made if that's in question: petition the living gently caress out of Adult Swim. JoJo is already getting dubbed; if they air it and it does well, it wouldn't be the first time it influenced more stuff being made (cough Big O cough DBZ Kai cough).

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

LORD OF BUTT posted:

One thing that might legitimately help with getting Part 4 made if that's in question: petition the living gently caress out of Adult Swim. JoJo is already getting dubbed; if they air it and it does well, it wouldn't be the first time it influenced more stuff being made (cough Big O cough DBZ Kai cough).

I don't know about that. The West is by far and away a secondary market and they're not going to make a huge anime project for the west if the Japanese market is uninterested. It might get the Part 4 manga localised, but the best way of doing that is by buying the JoJo PB and BT volumes and the existing SDC ones. (The last two SDC volumes are 100% DIO's World, own and are quite cheap). DBZ Kai is sort of leagues bigger than JoJo, so I don't know how valid that comparison truly is.

David themselves say buy JoJo stuff to their Japanese fans. The Blu-rays are the equivalent of £40 each for 4 episodes so they're not cost effective, but they also mentioned games, so All Star Battle (JP Ver), Eyes of Heaven (both of which will spoiler the anime big time on story mode and characters within parts). JoJo figurines aren't that expensive (pre-shipping) from places like amiami too. They want to do Part 4, they've been location scouting, all JoJo is popular over there though it does vary in degrees, Egypt hen BluRay disks are doing well (supposedly). DiU is almost definitely going to happen unless something goes wrong.

Honestly, the best, most cost effective ways to inflate JoJo numbers might be to make a Japanese PSN account and add the Eyes of Heaven demo(s) to them. High download number shows interest too, after all, and PSN will most likely count it by the number of people who have the license for the download on their account and not those who actually downloaded it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Yeah, unless AS pulled an actual Big O and funded JoJo Part 4, I don't think they would really enter into the equation. If the rumors of scouting in Sendai are true, it at least confirms their intention to make it. And I've got a JoJo figure on preorder, so that's my part.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

dogsicle posted:

Yeah, unless AS pulled an actual Big O and funded JoJo Part 4, I don't think they would really enter into the equation. If the rumors of scouting in Sendai are true, it at least confirms their intention to make it. And I've got a JoJo figure on preorder, so that's my part.

David denied it was related, but they didn't tweet from Part 4's setting on the anime twitter for nothing, so yeah, it's 100% true.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Aurain posted:

David denied it was related, but they didn't tweet from Part 4's setting on the anime twitter for nothing, so yeah, it's 100% true.

I imagine if they're just doing scouting they can probably have the rug pulled out from under them somehow. It's pretty much an admission of intent, though.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
People want Part 4 and Studio David wants to animate it. The only thing up to debate is whether or not they can pull together the scratch to make it happen.

If you wanted a teaser you already got one with the bow and arrow in Dio's mansion.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

TWIST FIST posted:

I actually kind of want to watch the OVA now.

The movie with that song was never released.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They specifically said on their twitter that it's up to Warner Brothers now, so basically, it's just an issue of ensuring that it'd be profitable for them to greenlight them.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy

Bad Seafood posted:

People want Part 4 and Studio David wants to animate it. The only thing up to debate is whether or not they can pull together the scratch to make it happen.

If you wanted a teaser you already got one with the bow and arrow in Dio's mansion.

They also alluded to this with the first ED.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bad Seafood posted:

You mean whether Warner Bros. greenlights it. David does not fund this stuff themselves.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

warner bros. can call up araki and have him fund it entirely out of his own pockets considering that it's his favorite arc

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Really good series it got me a bit to get into it as I prefered the whole ripple system of fighting but the strand thing got really good.

I loved how they slightly alter the beginning OP in the final episode, I take it this isnt the end of the JoJo bloodlines adventures there have to be people on Dio's side who will want revenge etc

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Part 4 is the Oingo Boingo Brothers trying to assassinate the Joestars but failing miserably and Jotaro and Joseph never notice.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

littleorv posted:

Everyone start reading part 4 of the manga. From what I've read so far it's good.
Yeah, there's no way I'll be able to wait a year or three. Guess I've got something to do for next week.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I recommend the first two chapters of CLAMP in Wonderland 1994 too.
A love-tale beyond compare. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

VoLaTiLe posted:

I take it this isnt the end of the JoJo bloodlines adventures

Well, the manga is currently on Part 8 (Stardust Crusaders is Part 3, for reference) and still being written, so that's a safe bet.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Just got some time to watch it and drat that was pretty great. I think I still prefer BT over SDC overall just a bit more, it's more consistent, better music and never dragged on. I definitely enjoyed SDC but it had more than a handful of mediocre episodes and even old Joseph didn't really live up to his old self until pretty much the final epsiode (but what a prank it was). The show definitely got its poo poo together though and had lots of really great moments. In the grand scheme of things it was still a fantastic show though. Even "bad" jojo is still good.

I think I may have to go read the manga now and hope part 4 is on the way.

Also I understand why ripple/hamon was dropped, but I do feel it could have been a lot more naturally transitioned, it did after all have many other very useful effects beyond melting vampires. Especially early in the serious where everything was still kind of finding its feet and the show lacked a sense of grounding.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 21, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Joseph using the non-offensive versions of the Ripple to compliment Hermit Purple's lackluster defensive capabilities probably would have been neat to see.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, that would have been nice if we weren't going up against almost entirely humans before Vanilla Ice.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Ripple isn't interesting if you're not fighting something that's weak to sunlight.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Senor Candle posted:

Ripple isn't interesting if you're not fighting something that's weak to sunlight.

You keep thinking that until Joseph spears you with some ripple reinforced spaghetti.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, that would have been nice if we weren't going up against almost entirely humans before Vanilla Ice.

I don't mean the general "this is a glowing beam of energy meant to kill vampires" thing, but stuff like the hair barrier he used to block bullets.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Shanakin posted:

You keep thinking that until Joseph spears you with some ripple reinforced spaghetti.

Oh no, you got spaghetti on me, whatever shall I do?

Oh right, I'll send my Stand into your brain to gently caress up your nervous system.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
The only thing Joseph should have used the ripple for is stuff like opening bottles. Or pranks.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't mean the general "this is a glowing beam of energy meant to kill vampires" thing, but stuff like the hair barrier he used to block bullets.

That'd be super useful for all the times Joseph got shot at with regular guns.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 21, 2015

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
The problem with the ripple in BT is that it's power is basically "do whatever the protag needs to". Stands, especially from Part 4 onward, become very specific in their usage and abilities. A big part of the enjoyment of later parts is figuring out how the protags are going to win a fight with their incredibly weird and specific power.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

bonewitch posted:

The problem with the ripple in BT is that it's power is basically "do whatever the protag needs to". Stands, especially from Part 4 onward, become very specific in their usage and abilities. A big part of the enjoyment of later parts is figuring out how the protags are going to win a fight with their incredibly weird and specific power.

Sure, I don't really disagree with that, but I still feel it could have been transitioned more smoothly, and Joseph could have used some of its varied abilities to augment stuff while they grow into stands. hell even just the walking on water ability would have come in handy in a few of those fights.

It's easy enough to handwave it away as him being lazy and quitting training etc, and that's fine, but I feel it suffered for it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Suffered? Really?

Edit: This show suffered from not having an old man use sun punches on opponents it would be useless against

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Suffered? Really?

Edit: This show suffered from not having an old man use sun punches on opponents it would be useless against

Now you're just being obtuse.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
We're not being obtuse we just don't understand why you have such a hard on for the ripple.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
I hope the ripple never appears again, because all that ripple time could be stand time.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Shanakin posted:

Now you're just being obtuse.

That's his posting gimmick

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I agree, if the Ripple came back it would just go in circles

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You've literally had a year and a half to get over the ripple, but y'all keep bringing it up. It's dead, it's gone, deal with it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I don't understand what people even would want Araki to do with it. As far as Joseph knows, all the pillar men and vampires have been dealt with, why would he keep up his training in it? He is notoriously lazy and only started seriously training in hamon when his life was under duress. Like he wasn't going to roll around and teach people this useless skill just because.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm not saying it should be brought back. I was just playing devil's advocate with hypotheticals on how it could've been used.

I personally don't mind the Ripple not being used since Jotaro's the main character and never learned it, so obviously it's not going to be a major part of Dio's defeat.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Senor Candle posted:

As far as Joseph knows, all the pillar men and vampires have been dealt with, why would he keep up his training in it?
I don't know, but clearly he not only did but also learned he could conduct it through his stand.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ripple was basically just ki/chakra/haki anyway, the magic tricks Joseph and Caesar pulled on each other and Joseph did to the pillar men keep getting attributed to ripple because JoJo, I guess.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't think it's that he kept training but that he was such a prodigy in the first place that he kept some of it even by doing nothing for decades. It's like riding a bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

I don't know, but clearly he not only did but also learned he could conduct it through his stand.

He has always had a basic level of hamon ability, that wouldn't go away even if he didn't train with it.

• Locked thread