Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

TonySnow posted:

Iditarod is in Fairbanks this year. Just look at these doggies.

Nice! They look so excited. Do you live in Fairbanks year-round?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TonySnow
Mar 24, 2008
They really are excited, all they want to do is pull that sled. Was really cool to watch. I do live in Fairbanks year round, here because of the military.

TonySnow fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 10, 2015

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

TonySnow posted:

They really are excited, all they want to do is pull that sled.
Very true. I was volunteering at a local dogsled race when I was about 16 and I saw a single dog get away from the team and just go tearing down the start of the track. A 250+ pound man on the track grabbed the ~50 pound dog's harness as it went by, and it hardly slowed at all - it just yanked him right off his feet and dragged him down the course. Those dogs can pull.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

P3110373.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P3110472.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P3110510.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Animals at the Assiniboine Park Zoo in Winnipeg, from about a month ago.
Bison 1 by Execudork, on Flickr
Bison 2 by Execudork, on Flickr
Moose 1 by Execudork, on Flickr
Caribou 1 by Execudork, on Flickr
Ratcicle by Execudork, on Flickr
Arctic Fox by Execudork, on Flickr
Musk Ox Butts 2 by Execudork, on Flickr
:butt:

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Went out looking for something other than deer. Found only deer.

DSC_6776.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That deer thinks it's a dog yo.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Pronghorn sage-grouse forehead kiss 2003 on Flickr

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I am not the best photographer and that is apparent with my gear (T2i with Tamron 70-300 for these; also have the 17-50 and Canon 50 1.8 and 100 2.8). I am pretty happy with these shots from Savannah GA, but I feel like I could have done better.

Baby Gator in Red Algae Savannah NWR by HungryMedusa, on Flickr

Savannah Great Blue Heron Flapping by HungryMedusa, on Flickr

My gear is not great, obviously; and I have a tripod but could not take it with me on this trip. Any suggestion to what I should target for gear next? I shoot hand held a lot so am thinking a used 50d body or something for better focusing? I have about 200 to spend now but can save for a better solution.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I wouldn't worry about the gear too much. You've clearly got some skills and are in a good place to take advantage of some opportunities. More 'gator pics, please!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

I wouldn't worry about the gear too much. You've clearly got some skills and are in a good place to take advantage of some opportunities. More 'gator pics, please!

Thanks, that means a lot to me seeing what you have posted in the bird thread.

Here are a couple more gators. These are cropped more, what with having only 300mm and all.

Double Baby Gators 3CROP by HungryMedusa, on Flickr

Big Gator in the Rain SavannahCROPPED by HungryMedusa, on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Some Roosevelt elk from this evening:

elk-yearling by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

elk-nuzzle by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

The rut is over what are you doing

elk-mount by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

And a couple from a recent trip to Oregon

pacific-treefrog by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

fence-lizard by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
DSCF2777.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

DSCF2838.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

DSCF2799.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

I feel like taking pictures of animals at Animal Kingdom is somehow even more cheating-er than doing it at a zoo for some reason.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Livestock aren't really pets or wildlife, so I was a bit torn. You can have it this time, wildlife thread!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I consider them pets that end up on the dinner table.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I had two river otters catch and eat large sculpins right in front of me yesterday.

otter-face2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

otter-fish-struggle by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

otter-munch-cu by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

otter-maw by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

and just for fun:

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 7, 2015

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Mad jealous of the river otter pics.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

TLG James posted:

Mad jealous of the river otter pics.
It was a pretty amazing encounter. The second one came to eat its fish right at the base of the bank I was sitting on, and I had to scoot back a bit to get it outside of my lens' minimum focal distance.

Anonybominous
Jun 30, 2012

Moon Potato posted:

It was a pretty amazing encounter. The second one came to eat its fish right at the base of the bank I was sitting on, and I had to scoot back a bit to get it outside of my lens' minimum focal distance.

Great work. Also jealous.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Back from Wyoming. On the way back we drove through Jackson and a bit of Teton NP. Between Dubois and Jackson we saw 6 species of (wild) ungulates. Light was crap but I'm never going to be disappointed in seeing this big wildlife.

Dubois Buck growing out 2068 on Flickr

Ewe herd me? on Flickr

Dubois Rams kinda scenic 2067 on Flickr

Bison in front of some hills 2071 on Flickr

Teton Bison 2072 on Flickr

Teton Moose 2070 on Flickr

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Curious deer by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Nice Wyoming photos. I especially like this one.

I lucked out big time yesterday, and had a long-tailed weasel mother move her young into a new burrow right in front of me.

Long-tailed Weasel by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

I missed a lot of the action while I was setting up my tripod and camera, but captured her moving the last two kits across the road.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HM-0P96MkQ

Before the clouds broke, I found an otter at their favorite fishing spot in the tidal slough again.

otter-open-mouth by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

otter-chew by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

otter-swim by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

After it caught a bunch of fish and shrimp, it swam right up to the bank I was sitting on and bobbed there for about 10 seconds staring at me. It was well within my lens' minimum focal distance, so I just sat there staring back until it dove again. It caught another mouthful of fish, then swam out into the bay.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

mountain lion drink by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Did you set up a blind to get that close?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Yeah I'm really curious about this. How were you so close to a cat that seems so unaware of your existence?

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Verman posted:

Yeah I'm really curious about this. How were you so close to a cat that seems so unaware of your existence?

Easy. Zoom lens at a wildlife center. Doubt it even noticed or cared about me since I was on the other side of the glass. Probably cheating, but if I was outside with a mountain lion nearby I wouldn't stop for pictures.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Ahh okay, I was going to say that if this was a wild cat ... you must have been waiting it out for a while or just got really lucky.

I was just on an African safari earlier this month and the only big animal we didn't see was a cheetah. We had a layover in Amsterdam and we almost went to the zoo just to finally see one. :smith:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

^^ Where did you go? Did you get any good shots?

Here's a cool example of non-gimmicky usage of light painting:
http://thesmallermajority.com/2012/07/08/improvising-with-light/

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Verman posted:

Ahh okay, I was going to say that if this was a wild cat ... you must have been waiting it out for a while or just got really lucky.

I was just on an African safari earlier this month and the only big animal we didn't see was a cheetah. We had a layover in Amsterdam and we almost went to the zoo just to finally see one. :smith:

It's probably a good thing you didn't, zoos in European cities are like hands down the most depressing things you will ever see, in my experience.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Bubbacub posted:

^^ Where did you go? Did you get any good shots?

Here's a cool example of non-gimmicky usage of light painting:
http://thesmallermajority.com/2012/07/08/improvising-with-light/

Three days in Cape Town South Africa and 3 days on safari at Kapama game reserve in Kruger National Park (still in SA). My wife earned the trip through her work. She works for Starwood hotels (Sheraton, Westin, W, A Loft, St Regis etc) and it was an all expenses paid. They covered everything from the moment we left home (aside from our extension in Amsterdam). It was the first time she's earned an incentive trip in the 3 years she's worked there so we didn't really know what to expect. She's worked her rear end this past year so all those long hours finally paid off. I convinced her to let me purchase a new lens (Canon 70-200 2.8) and a Sony RX100m2 for the trip. I don't know how I would have done it without a telephoto. I wish I had some more reach (200mm on a canon 50d body) but the 70-200 2.8 is more practical for my uses than a slower 300mm or any huge 400mm lenses. I also shoot weddings so it was important to me to buy something that I could use after the safari.

I shot so many photos that its going to be a lot of work to go through rate and edit, not to mention the video. In all honesty though I could have been on the safari for a week. I loved seeing the animals in that setting. I had pretty high expectations before going down there and it blew anything I expected completely out of the water. Here's a tiny sample. I'll upload everything to flickr at some point and post it in here. There is literally no color correction or anything done to these. When I got home I simply converted from raw to JPG so that I could upload to facebook to show my parents. I pulled these from FB so the quality is sacrificed a bit from the original.

Honestly though if you have ever debated a safari ... it was without question one of the greatest trips I've ever been on. I've traveled quite a bit through Europe but this was something else entirely. I've heard how they're so expensive etc but really it wasn't unreachable for most people. I know people who drop crazy money going to disneyworld. Our flights were $1500 USD each to capetown, Johannesburg would have been cheaper and closer but our trip brought us to Capetown first. The accommodations weren't ridiculously expensive either, around $200 USD/night in the off season and $300 USD/night in peak season and everything is included. There are cheaper resorts/reserves so its definitely possible for the average person.

Verman fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 17, 2015

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

HookShot posted:

It's probably a good thing you didn't, zoos in European cities are like hands down the most depressing things you will ever see, in my experience.

Netherlands has some phenomenal zoos.

You want depressing? Check out some Chinese zoos.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

William T. Hornaday posted:

Netherlands has some phenomenal zoos.

You want depressing? Check out some Chinese zoos.

I realized I've never actually been to one in the Netherlands. The one in Copenhagen was the most depressing thing I've ever seen. I can only imagine Chinese zoos.

Australia has the best zoos. Australia Zoo especially is probably my favourite on the planet. The animals have so much space to roam around in for the most part.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Verman posted:

I convinced her to let me purchase a new lens (Canon 70-200 2.8) and a Sony RX100m2 for the trip. I don't know how I would have done it without a telephoto. I wish I had some more reach (200mm on a canon 50d body) but the 70-200 2.8 is more practical for my uses than a slower 300mm or any huge 400mm lenses. I also shoot weddings so it was important to me to buy something that I could use after the safari.

drat, you did great with 200mm! If you go on another wildlife trip, it'd probably be worth renting an extender for your telephoto.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The Canon 200-400 has to be the current safari champion lens. Rent one of those (although renting a canon big white is dangerous. It's a gateway drug...)

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Moon Potato posted:

Nice Wyoming photos. I especially like this one.

I lucked out big time yesterday, and had a long-tailed weasel mother move her young into a new burrow right in front of me.

Long-tailed Weasel by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

I missed a lot of the action while I was setting up my tripod and camera, but captured her moving the last two kits across the road.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HM-0P96MkQ

Before the clouds broke, I found an otter at their favorite fishing spot in the tidal slough again.

otter-open-mouth by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

otter-chew by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

otter-swim by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

After it caught a bunch of fish and shrimp, it swam right up to the bank I was sitting on and bobbed there for about 10 seconds staring at me. It was well within my lens' minimum focal distance, so I just sat there staring back until it dove again. It caught another mouthful of fish, then swam out into the bay.

Where as this at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

TLG James posted:

Where as this at?
Those are from the Arcata Marsh and Wildlife Sanctuary (Humboldt County, California).

There are three calves in one of the Roosevelt elk herds by Prairie Creek now. The cows are keeping them near tree cover most of the time, so I haven't been able to get a shot of them out in the sun yet.

elklets by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

elk-kiss by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A few from the Pescadero Marsh Natural Preserve:
A black-tailed doe was grazing on the trail

doe-blacktail by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

As she snuck off into the brush, two fawns followed her (although I never got a clear view of them both together)

doe-fawn by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

I'm pretty sure this is my first dusky-footed woodrat sighting. The coloration and proportion look right, and this was shot pretty close to one of their nests.

woodrat? by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A coyote looking for gophers in a fallowed field in Half Moon Bay

coyote-trot by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A gopher hitching a ride with a Red-tailed Hawk

rth-gopher3 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr