Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

The Supreme Court posted:

I'm sorry Wil Weaton was such a dick to you, good luck on finding a new job

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

unpronounceable posted:

I played my first game of Eclipse today with 5 other, slow players. It took too long, but I had a good time. With my first explore, I lucked into the discovery tile with the +3 computer, so from that my aim was to load up with plasma missiles on my cruisers. I made a bunch of strategic mistakes, but in the end, I ended up winning with 33 points. It felt a bit too claustrophobic with 6 players, so I'd like to try it with 4, but I definitely want to play again.

I'm gonna have to bring out a game timer for the next time we play though. It took way too loving long.

Even with experienced players six player eclipse can take a while. There's a variant in the expansion that allows for simultaneous turns that helps a lot with higher player numbers. You don't even need to buy the expansion to use it either - just check out the expansion rule book online and you'll see how it works. The only component you'll need to make is second active player marker.

You're right in aiming for four players though. 3-4 seems to be the sweet spot.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think three player Eclipse is actually my favorite three player ANYTHING. There's a lot of competition for two and four, but three has a very awkward dynamic in a lot of games. The only other game I can think of that is just as good with or better with three as four is Puzzle Strike (and, by extension, Dominion).

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Man, be thankful if you gave a consistent group of board gamers. I have two separate couples to choose from. One couple really only plays coop/'thematic' games (they like reading flavor text) but they can grasp medium level games like a Ghost Stories. The other couple pretty much only plays filler games and Pandemic, and have horrible AP. I tried to introduce Castles of Burgundy, and it took 2 hours to get through 10 rounds. There was alcohol involved and it was their first time, but I just called the game and we played Tsuro before leaving. I love both dearly, but man, it puts a limit on the hobby for me.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I think Castles of Burgundy is better with less players and I would probably find something else with 4p. Same goes for Dominion

E:because downtime

Maybe you can teach these folks Roll for Galaxy?

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 21, 2015

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I think Castles of Burgundy is better with less players and I would probably find something else with 4p. Same goes for Dominion.

CoB is best with 2.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Poison Mushroom posted:

I think three player Eclipse is actually my favorite three player ANYTHING. There's a lot of competition for two and four, but three has a very awkward dynamic in a lot of games. The only other game I can think of that is just as good with or better with three as four is Puzzle Strike (and, by extension, Dominion).

I'm pretty sure Kemet was meant to be played with 3 or 5 since you get that special temple that's unavailable in 2 or 4.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Re: Specter Ops

The game is definitely biased towards the hunter side. We've played 5 or 6 times and the agent only completed a second objective in 2 of those (to win the agent has to complete 3 of the 4 objectives and then escape). I don't know how that is going to shift as we get better at playing the game, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad place for the balance to sit. The hunters getting to feel good for stopping the agent while the agent gets to enjoy having completed a few of his objectives before going down seems better than the alternative, where the agent winning is the foregone conclusion and the hunters' only consolation is how many times they punched him before he left.

The motion sensor is very powerful, but it has some major drawbacks too. You can always move slowly to avoid detection from it and whoever activates it can't move on their turn; as the agent you can exploit both of these if you can accurately read when they're going to use it. There's also an important rule we missed in our first few games: if hunter A drives the car, hunter B can't activate the motion sensors on the same turn. With all that in mind I think the motion sensor is necessary for the game to work. If the agent gets behind the hunters and they don't have a good idea where he went they'll be spending a handful of very boring turns wandering around randomly and waiting for the agent to complete an objective; the motion sensor gives them an idea of where you are and lets them get back in position in a reasonable amount of time.

For most of the game the hunters know which block the agent is in, but with all the possible hiding spots it can be very difficult to pin down his exact location. In these situations the motion sensor isn't useful because they already know what it's going to say. The agent's goal here is to bide his time until he can cross the road to the next block safely, either by using an item or by simply having enough of a head start that the hunters can't pin down his position in the new block.

On the topic of agent balance, both Cobra's and Spider's abilities effectively do the same thing as Orangutang's, they mean you can be spotted more times before dying, and I certainly wouldn't say that Orangutang has the best unique equipment of the three. Blue Jay's ability and unique equipment both give her really crazy options for misdirection and, seeing as misdirection is how you win the game, I'd say she'll turn out to be the most useful character; of course it's still too early to call anything definitively.

All in all my group has been really enjoying the game. Even with how badly the agent has been doing, everyone is clamoring for their turn to try and outsmart the hunters. It still seems possible that the dominant strategies will get worked out and it won't have much longevity after that, but if we can get 10-15 good plays out of it I'll be satisfied. Also, holy hell the eratta has some really gamechanging poo poo in it, this stuff should absolutely be in the rulebook if they do a new print run.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
What was your player count? I've heard the game balance drastically shifts with different Hunter numbers.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Oldstench posted:

CoB is best with 2.

Agreed, with 4 there are far fewer difficult decisions as there are so many more tiles out in play.

I'd almost not bother with 4. Haven't tried 3 yet but it'd probably be fine.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Bottom Liner posted:

What was your player count? I've heard the game balance drastically shifts with different Hunter numbers.

We've only done 5 player one time, the others were a mix of 3 and 4. The game definitely feels completely different at different player counts and I expect that to become more pronounced the more we play.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looking fur a game fire 3 to 5 players that's not hard too pick up, and doesn't have a ton of pieces it will be played on a camping trip. If it gets more complex as you go out in strategy it'd be great. What do you guys recommend?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Looking fur a game fire 3 to 5 players that's not hard too pick up, and doesn't have a ton of pieces it will be played on a camping trip. If it gets more complex as you go out in strategy it'd be great. What do you guys recommend?

What games do you already play and enjoy?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We love space alert, ticket to ride, takenoko and tabletop rpgs.

Also Battlecon and City of Horror

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

We love space alert, ticket to ride, takenoko and tabletop rpgs.

Also Battlecon and City of Horror

Are you going to have a folding table or some other flat surface available? Click Clack Lumberjack is always a hoot, it's jenga but better in every single way, but it will definitely need a flat even surface. Coup is very popular in this thread, it's a bluffing game, doesn't take much space at all, I'm not personally a fan but I'm definitely in the minority so I'll mention it anyway. The Resistance is the quintessential light "hidden traitor" style game, it needs at least 5 players, but it functions just fine at that number. Skull is pretty popular as well, another bluffing game.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Turtlicious posted:

Hanabi

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Those are all fun. I'd also recommend Frank's Zoo as a chill ladder climbing card game that plays 3-7

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Carcassonne is my go to camping game. Great on picnic tables or tent floors because there are no cards to blow away.

Or Hive, which can be played in the dirt

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 21, 2015

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Find a shitload of dice and learn Perudo.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Played some games today!

Five Tribes
was a game that seemed simple, but turns seemed to take forever and nobody at the table is necessarily prone to AP. We played with 3 and I'd hesitate playing with more because that downtime can suck hard. It's even a bit hard to plan that much in advance since people's moves can royally ruin what you had planned. I realize it's a weird thing to say that a game requires "too much" thought, but I don't think Five Tribes really had the depth to actually earn it. Like, it's incredibly hard to actually set anything up in advance, whereas with things like Tash Kalar or Dungeon Twister or any other brainburnery games, where I actually reap the benefit of my long term plans. I dunno, I'm probably being overly hard on a medium-light game, but there was an awful lot of staring at the board.

We also played March of the Ants, which was described as a more streamlined Eclipse, but I haven't played Eclipse so I have no idea how accurate that is. A "long game" with 3 players was like 90-120 minutes with rules explanation, so at least it takes less time than Eclipse, and combat is more Kemet than Eclipse. I thought it was good overall, but it would take some repeat plays for me to see any cracks. I am fairly certain I won because I got two colony goals that synergized really well (have the most larvae and have larvae resource sites), but another guy was pretty close because he got a ton of VP resource sites. The other two players, who have played Eclipse, preferred March over it, but again I can't add anything to that particular discussion. I think maybe having another player would have been more interesting, since there would be more competition for spaces.

One thing the game did really well was ending at a good time. The long game has 5 rounds and the "normal" game has 4, and while the game is sloooow to start, like Agricola, the last few rounds started to spike and swing a bit that any more rounds would have devolved into chaos, instead of reaping the consequences of your early gameplan. Would definitely play again.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

Played some games today!

Five Tribes
was a game that seemed simple, but turns seemed to take forever and nobody at the table is necessarily prone to AP. We played with 3 and I'd hesitate playing with more because that downtime can suck hard. It's even a bit hard to plan that much in advance since people's moves can royally ruin what you had planned. I realize it's a weird thing to say that a game requires "too much" thought, but I don't think Five Tribes really had the depth to actually earn it. Like, it's incredibly hard to actually set anything up in advance, whereas with things like Tash Kalar or Dungeon Twister or any other brainburnery games, where I actually reap the benefit of my long term plans. I dunno, I'm probably being overly hard on a medium-light game, but there was an awful lot of staring at the board.

You're not being hard, it's vastly over-hyped because of the meeple moving mechanic and point salad, but in the end it's kind of a mess of a game that's too chaotic to plan or execute strategy. To make matters worse, the randomized layout can affect the game as much/more than in Catan, which is not a good thing.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Five Tribes was one of those "I'm taking crazy pills" games for me because I could not understand the hype for it. It looks more like a scientific experiment in inducing AP than a game.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
I get AP just looking at a Five Tribes board, I'm pretty sure playing it would give me some sort of literal paralysis.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Five Tribes is seeing how quickly you can find the best move, without giving the next player an even better move, but doing it fast enough before someone starts flicking paper footballs at you.

I think it would be an interesting experiment in writing a computer AI program that could predict and set up moves for itself from the start to the very end. It is not a game that should be played by humans.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Five Tribes is one of my five fave from last year, we always enjoy our plays of it, again noting we don't play with AP players.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

GrandpaPants posted:

We also played March of the Ants, which was described as a more streamlined Eclipse, but I haven't played Eclipse so I have no idea how accurate that is. A "long game" with 3 players was like 90-120 minutes with rules explanation, so at least it takes less time than Eclipse, and combat is more Kemet than Eclipse. I thought it was good overall, but it would take some repeat plays for me to see any cracks. I am fairly certain I won because I got two colony goals that synergized really well (have the most larvae and have larvae resource sites), but another guy was pretty close because he got a ton of VP resource sites. The other two players, who have played Eclipse, preferred March over it, but again I can't add anything to that particular discussion. I think maybe having another player would have been more interesting, since there would be more competition for spaces.

I ended up grabbing Myrmes because I realized I didn't have an ant game and it looked to be better received between the two, but this makes me really want to try it. I've only played Eclipse once and it was decent but I understand all the criticisms (like meh combat) so a shorter version and with ants sounds glorious. Please post more about it if you play it some more, I'd like to hear about any cracks you seem to find.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

EvilChameleon posted:

I ended up grabbing Myrmes because I realized I didn't have an ant game and it looked to be better received between the two, but this makes me really want to try it. I've only played Eclipse once and it was decent but I understand all the criticisms (like meh combat) so a shorter version and with ants sounds glorious. Please post more about it if you play it some more, I'd like to hear about any cracks you seem to find.

I definitely don't want to oversell it since games like this tend to only show major issues (card balance, luck of the draw, degenerate strategies, etc) after a few plays, but like I said, I enjoyed the one I had well enough and will likely play it again in the future.

Have any more people had any experience with Elysium? I have it locked up in a CSI preorder (for free shipping, naturally), but keep hearing mixed reviews about it, and some of the positive reviews are from people like Vasel and others who (positively) compare it to Splendor, so...yeah. On principle it seems like my kind of game, but...

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

So I ended up getting a free copy of the bioshock infinite game at Origins. No, I didn't choose it. It looks terrible. Is it terrible? Should I bother playing it once, or leave it in shrink so it's easier to get rid of?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

burger time posted:

So I ended up getting a free copy of the bioshock infinite game at Origins. No, I didn't choose it. It looks terrible. Is it terrible? Should I bother playing it once, or leave it in shrink so it's easier to get rid of?

I got halfway through a game before "I wish I was playing Kemet" flooded my mind.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Looks like there is going to be another standalone/expansion of Ultimate One Night Werewolf

quote:

The prequel for One Night Ultimate Werewolf will be announced next month! While we’re not ready to spill details on it quite yet, we will let you know the following:
It’s a new stand alone game that can be combined with the original One Night games (unlike Daybreak, however, this was designed as a standalone and it just happens to be able to be combined with the other two).
It’s a prequel, which means most of the events in the game take place before those nasty Werewolves wake up.
While the overall concept is the same, there are a few new mechanics that breathe new life into the game.
All the characters are unique, and all of them have night actions.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Jesus, I can't believe Cards Against Humanity is the face of modern gaming to so many people. It's a little funny, kind of, if you try to make only non sequiturs.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

ChiTownEddie posted:

Looks like there is going to be another standalone/expansion of Ultimate One Night Werewolf

I am hype as gently caress, One Night is my go to game with new people

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I am hype as gently caress, One Night is my go to game with new people

My god, so am I. It isn't even a new person game really for me just an amazing group/party game that all my friends want/love to play.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Jesus, I can't believe Cards Against Humanity is the face of modern gaming to so many people. It's a little funny, kind of, if you try to make only non sequiturs.

On the subject of CAH-alikes/alternatives, I've had a lot of fun with Metagame lately. Like Snake Oil, it's a lot more fun when you have to make a case for the thing you're playing instead of just sneaking it into a pile anonymously.

(Also, unlike Snake Oil, it doesn't have horrible John Kovalic art.)

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I also got introduced to Sushi Go!, which I think I will introduce to my family. Quick to learn, cute theme, and fast play.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
There appears to be poo poo going down between Wallace and the deluxe Brass kickstarter
http://www.treefroggames.com/

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I also got introduced to Sushi Go!, which I think I will introduce to my family. Quick to learn, cute theme, and fast play.

Smallest knit-pick ever: I wish that the tin-box version of it that is everywhere actually had the Sushi Go logo on the back of the cards instead of the 'Gamewright' logo or whatever.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Yeah sushi go is a great game to play with non-gamers and also ramps nicely into 7 wonders.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

taser rates posted:

There appears to be poo poo going down between Wallace and the deluxe Brass kickstarter
http://www.treefroggames.com/

I am looking forward towards the iOS version for sure. Between that and Twilight struggle, all of the games I can't bring out to the table as often will be taken care of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
My problem with One Night Ultimate Werewolf is that it has failed to deliver on both of the promises in its name. It was not the final Werewolf game and I've been subjected to it on more than one night.