Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Have any of you tried Dim Sum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirty-Five Minutes
Aug 12, 2007
not a republic serial villain
Maybe they could sell Cantonese food - dim sum is good for those who want to try a little bit of everything (and also very tasty), and tang sui (sweet soup) would probably help cool people's mouths after the numbing-hot Sichuan food.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

blizzardvizard posted:

My guess is that Megumi will be instrumental in Soma's success, since her 'hospitality' is directly opposite of Kuga's cooking, which basically turns people who eat it into masochists. If they make something along the lines of 'food that soothes you', it can definitely sell next to Kuga's super-spicy food stall, thus turning around their disadvantage.

Though I suppose that wouldn't actually be competing with Kuga, in fact they would be complementing his stall. Still, Megumi's 'hospitality' will probably play a part somehow.

My guess is that they'll set it up as a companion business to Yugioh's dishes. At most food festival (even really nice ones), pretty much nobody goes and eats one thing and then leaves. What I'm guessing he does is something parasitic to Yugioh because he has crippling overspecialization. Hopefully it will be a little more interesting than that because that's kind of what happened in the Nikumi shokugeki.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Angry Grimace posted:

My guess is that they'll set it up as a companion business to Yugioh's dishes. At most food festival (even really nice ones), pretty much nobody goes and eats one thing and then leaves. What I'm guessing he does is something parasitic to Yugioh because he has crippling overspecialization. Hopefully it will be a little more interesting than that because that's kind of what happened in the Nikumi shokugeki.

If he sold bubble tea drinks he'd make a killing and sell way more than whatever Yugi is selling.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
Voice casting for Alice and Kurokiba announced!

Alice: Akasaki Chinatsu (Morisummer in Chunibyo, Izumi in Saekano)
Kurokiba: Okamoto Nobuhiko (Accelerator in Index, Origami Cyclone in Tiger and Bunny, Mikorin in Nozaki-kun)

Pretty universal praise for Okamoto's casting, and i'm looking forward to hearing him go apeshit.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Holy poo poo Accelerator and Mikorin had the same voice actor? :stare: I never would have guessed. Pretty much spot-on casting though, especially if he does his Accelerator voice.

Also I haven't heard Akasaki in anything besides Chunibyo, and the characters (Morisummer and Alice) are way different from each other, so I don't know whether it's a good or bad casting. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Jumped into the latest few episodes and was glad to hear Koyasu as Dojima.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Can't tell what the "special tool" is for Soma. A Bamboo steaming basket maybe? Dim Sum would be a pretty amazing complement to the stir-fryed yugioh menu and everyone eating there would probably stop and get dim sum to complement it.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

New chapter: http://bato.to/read/_/327367/shokugeki-no-soma_ch123_by_no-group/

Erina has gotten a lot more screentime lately. Not that it's a bad thing since it seems like she's becoming less distant.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Shitmanga certainly lives up to its name.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It looks like a wok ring? But I've been wrong multiple times now, so I'm content to just come along for the ride.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I'm a little surprised he was still trying to make mapo tofu after the last chapter where it was explained multiple times you don't have to make Sichuan cuisine.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
I hope that its a thing for making stinky tofu. The smell will literally overpower any advantage that Yugioh's spicy cooking has just from the aroma alone.

Edit: You can literally smell that stuff from almost 2 blocks away. I'll never eat it personally though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

blizzardvizard posted:

New chapter: http://bato.to/read/_/327367/shokugeki-no-soma_ch123_by_no-group/

Erina has gotten a lot more screentime lately. Not that it's a bad thing since it seems like she's becoming less distant.

Almost as if that was her character arc. Funny that.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Shitmanga certainly lives up to its name.

Yeah... That is certainly one of the worst chapters I've ever read.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's also gone.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Almost as if that was her character arc. Funny that.

I'm still annoyed she refused to wash dishes. Even the best chefs in the world will still wash dishes occasionally. It's a kitchen necessity.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Not gonna lie, I'd buy all three of them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

He should cook literal feces so that no one nearby can bring themselves to eat anything. He should then sell ginger tea to help with the nausea. The end is result is that his opponent sells nothing and he sells some ginger tea. Thinking outside the box!

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Mikl posted:

Not gonna lie, I'd buy all three of them.

So would I. I'd also buy figures of the magical cabbage characters from last weeks episode.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Soylentbits posted:

I'm still annoyed she refused to wash dishes. Even the best chefs in the world will still wash dishes occasionally. It's a kitchen necessity.

Eh, it's time to let that go. Her entire point of existing is eventually she'll undergo a massive personality shift from Soma's cooking friendship technique and then always be awkwardly blushing around him and trying to be "nice" to everyone rather then condescending spoiled princess.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I don't understand how a recipe for mapo tofu that Soma got from his Elite Ten God Chef father doesn't even have the spiciness that mapo tofu is famous for.

Ytlaya posted:

He should cook literal feces so that no one nearby can bring themselves to eat anything. He should then sell ginger tea to help with the nausea. The end is result is that his opponent sells nothing and he sells some ginger tea. Thinking outside the box!

This post made me laugh about 10 times more than it should have.

pentyne posted:

Eh, it's time to let that go. Her entire point of existing is eventually she'll undergo a massive personality shift from Soma's cooking friendship technique and then always be awkwardly blushing around him and trying to be "nice" to everyone rather then condescending spoiled princess.

I'm guessing her character arc is identical to Shinomiya's, except with more detail.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

pentyne posted:

She is nice to people though. Just not to Soma because she hates him for ridiculously petty reasons, and at this point not even that much since he brought her some manga and her best friend is buddies with him.

Twib
Dec 24, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't understand how a recipe for mapo tofu that Soma got from his Elite Ten God Chef father doesn't even have the spiciness that mapo tofu is famous for.

Although mapo tofu is famous for its spiciness, a lot of places are willing to tone down the heat to make it more palatable. At that point, it's sort of like a really good gravy - the mapo tofu and diced meat become incredibly savory, which is nice on rice.

Soma's father probably knows how to make spicy mapo tofu, but changed the recipe to make it a little more popular in the restaurant for most people.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Angry Grimace posted:

a) Souma's dad wasn't particularly interested in grooming Souma into a chef.
b) A small establishment like theirs would typically have milder flavors.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

The aroma of peanut butter grilled squid tentacles overwhelms everyone nearby. :getin:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Oh, in anime land this:

Was amazing. :allears:

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.
Hinako's VA is also completely nailing it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Dropped the anime after the second episode since I wasn't quite impressed with the adaptation. If I wanted to pick it back up, what episode should I start on?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Dropped the anime after the second episode since I wasn't quite impressed with the adaptation. If I wanted to pick it back up, what episode should I start on?

Episode 4 because the Polar Star introductions are fun. Or episode 8 if you want to skip the shokugeki with Ikumi and go straight to the training camp.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
It's also worth mentioning that the episodes do not end with the end credits. There is always an additional 1-2 minutes of (often essential) plot. I didn't notice this until about episode 6 or 7, and until then I had just thought that the anime was missing all sorts of crucial stuff from the manga.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

MajorMarcus posted:

It's also worth mentioning that the episodes do not end with the end credits. There is always an additional 1-2 minutes of (often essential) plot. I didn't notice this until about episode 6 or 7, and until then I had just thought that the anime was missing all sorts of crucial stuff from the manga.

I did not know this, and since I'm not ready the manga, this is good to know.

This show is pretty incredible, and I went into it blind. I remember spending a good part of my youth watching episodes of cooking boy, and this hits the same notes for me.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The post credits poo poo is loving annoying as gently caress. Important plot developments keep occurring after the credits. But sometimes they're like 1 minute of non-essential whatever.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Angry Grimace posted:

The post credits poo poo is loving annoying as gently caress. Important plot developments keep occurring after the credits. But sometimes they're like 1 minute of non-essential whatever.

To be fair, I missed everyone and didn't feel like I missed much. I was confused about the whole "you didn't make you signature dish" line but then figured I missed something. The something being the post credit scene explaining it.

doyle-san
Feb 25, 2001

"This changes nothing."

Angry Grimace posted:

Guys I am SUPER PRESSED FOR TIME when I am WATCHING my ANIMES

UGH WHAT IF IT'S JUST NON ESSENTIAL WHATEVER AGAIN

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Chapter! http://bato.to/read/_/329277/shokugeki-no-soma_ch124_by_casanova/2

Seems like this recipe deviates quite a bit from the established challenge but w/e

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
So basically he's going to sell relatively cheap buns to people on line; this could mean multiple buns sold for every mapo tofu plate sold, and would mean an easy win if it went that smoothly. I wonder what the stumbling block will be.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

pnumoman posted:

So basically he's going to sell relatively cheap buns to people on line; this could mean multiple buns sold for every mapo tofu plate sold, and would mean an easy win if it went that smoothly. I wonder what the stumbling block will be.

I was reading up on this and its a Taiwanese food cart item at night-shopping markets. Apparently in real life the wait time for Hujiao bing is really long because they can only make so many at a cart and the demand is super high.

Of course he has something up his sleeve, and who knows what Tsukasa and Yugioh are plotting to stop him. I won't be surprised in the least if this is a fake-out arc where you think he did bad and then it turns out he just made massive profit because he has almost no overhead with just a cart he borrowed from the research society and Tadokoro as his only employee.

Heh, there's a cameo-callback in this chapter by the E. Honda looking guy that got his research society disbanded in a Shokugeki against Erina ~110 chapters ago. He's on the splash page trying to refound the society. And Mimisaka is on the same page hiding behind a bunch of boxes spying on them. :lol:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
That makes more sense than what I was thinking. I figured Souma was just going to push his cart up and down the line to Yugioh's place, sniping them before they get in the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
A man without a pork bun in his hand is never a whole man.