Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Agahnim posted:

It's called Refined Dimeritium ore, so you may just have to scroll further down.

Ah there it is. Good thing a lot of this game's crafting systems are intuitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Cirosan posted:

Way before the start of TW1:
* A pogrom (race riot) breaks out in Rivia while Geralt and co. are in town. Taking it upon themselves to keep the peace, they step in to stop it - but Geralt gets supremely unlucky and is skewered by some nobody peasant with a pitchfork. Yennefer dies soon after him (still during the riot, but under unclear circumstances).

This is a good post, the only thing I could add to it is Yen dies casting a healing spell to try and save Geralt, even though she knows that the attempt will drain her of energy and kill her.

Team Yennefer.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zakmonster posted:

It's also for Necrophages. Superior Black Blood cause Necrophages and Vampires to start bleeding the moment they get near you, so it's pretty awesome when fighting a swarm of alghouls.

yeah, I'm convinced Black Blood was invented specifically for Alghouls. They are assholes to fight.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Is there some sort of ease to check map with all the treasure locations? I just see all those question marks on Skellige and I cant do them all after Velen. I dont exactly need the money, sooo

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
are there rumours of a ng+ mode?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Honest Thief posted:

Is there some sort of ease to check map with all the treasure locations? I just see all those question marks on Skellige and I cant do them all after Velen. I dont exactly need the money, sooo

http://witcher3map.com/

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

my new dog posted:

are there rumours of a ng+ mode?

There are rumours of it based on strings of text in the game files, but nothing from CD Projekt about it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It looks like I accidentally activated this super high stats glitch during the Battle of Kaer Morhen. Has anyone else run into this? Is there any way to roll it back without reloading a save before the battle and just not using Dimeritium Bombs? Having 11,000 Vitality and 300% Sign intensity without even having a single blue mutagen equipped sounds nice, but I would really prefer to come by my stats honestly, y'know?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Harrow posted:

It looks like I accidentally activated this super high stats glitch during the Battle of Kaer Morhen. Has anyone else run into this? Is there any way to roll it back without reloading a save before the battle and just not using Dimeritium Bombs? Having 11,000 Vitality and 300% Sign intensity without even having a single blue mutagen equipped sounds nice, but I would really prefer to come by my stats honestly, y'know?

Yeah I ended up having the same glitch and similar stats. No way to fix it I've seen, which is disappointing because by the time I realized it was a bug and not some display error I was almost done with the game. And it completely trivializes everything even moreso.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah I ended up having the same glitch and similar stats. No way to fix it I've seen, which is disappointing because by the time I realized it was a bug and not some display error I was almost done with the game. And it completely trivializes everything even moreso.

drat it. That really sucks. I don't really want to roll back two hours of gameplay, and I especially don't want to try to do that battle without Dimeritium Bombs. But I guess I will.

God, that's annoying.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Just finished this.

evilmiera posted:

Yeah, I know, still not sure if he'd put the entire plan in jeopardy just for that though. Like, keep some backup around just in case, right?

Well, that particular guy is basically a super hedonist as pointed out by a few characters and, as seen in the attack on Kaer Morhen, doesn't seem to have much impulse control as well as being a giant warrior. Seems fine to me.

As someone who hasn't read the books or played the previous games, the plot was pretty easy to follow. The only issue I really had with the story was that Geralt actually knows who these Wild Hunt guys are - and rode with them? edit: And some of the things that Cirosan points are things I would have liked to have known, but I just chalked them up to 'isn't this Geralt guy kind of amnesiac' when they were brought up.

This game was fantastic. I thought, however, that the romance plot-line was pretty badly handled. You meet Triss and do her sidequest well before you really see Yennifer (who, to a newcomer, just seemed like a pretty horrible person) and you pretty much have to know in advance how you're going to decide because, if you make the option of trying to play nice given that this is a love triangle involving a geas and a guy with amnesia and heaps of shared history and you think you might get a chance to discuss things further or see how Yennifer acts outside of the geas, well, bad luck, you're obviously a womanizer who wanted to have both of them at once.

It just sticks out because every other decision and consequence is so good, even if they're sad or heartbreaking. I really enjoyed this game, despite never being able to get into the previous ones, and thought it was basically perfect. The Wild Hunt were great to look at and suitably threatening. The characters felt very believable with a whole heap of nuance. The plot was engaging. Gameplay never got stale, even after sixty hours which is the longest I've ever spent on a single RPG.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 21, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is there a specific vendor that sells the skill reset potion? I want to roll back some choices I made since in retrospect I don't use/like certain abilities.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

Is there a specific vendor that sells the skill reset potion? I want to roll back some choices I made since in retrospect I don't use/like certain abilities.

Alchemy master (Gremist).
You have to finish his quest first though.

There are others more immediately available (I wanna say magic vendor up at the top of Novigrad but unsure) though.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Levantine posted:

yeah, I'm convinced Black Blood was invented specifically for Alghouls. They are assholes to fight.

I beat the game and now I'm out trying to make all the bombs and oils I have. Still only have enhanced versions of most things, and only the stock versions of cursed, vampire, ogrid, draconid.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I beat the game and now I'm out trying to make all the bombs and oils I have. Still only have enhanced versions of most things, and only the stock versions of cursed, vampire, ogrid, draconid.

I never got all of the superior recipes for the oils, mostly because I think they're random loot drops and there's no way I'm sailing around Skellige shooting harpies for hours just to find them. Whoever compared it to Wind Waker was right, except the sea is bigger and the boat is slower.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

North-central Novigrad vendor by the barber, he also will start you on a wondrous journey through tyromancy

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I never got all of the superior recipes for the oils, mostly because I think they're random loot drops and there's no way I'm sailing around Skellige shooting harpies for hours just to find them. Whoever compared it to Wind Waker was right, except the sea is bigger and the boat is slower.

Oh yeah, gently caress the boats. I absolutely hated using them.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I think most of them are randomly found in chests, which is a complaint I have about the game. I'd prefer them to be stocked at alchemists and be expensive if need be; not like you really have any use for money in the end game. I think all said, I spent about 40k on alcohols for White Gull throughout the game and I still had like 50k left in reserve. Granted, I explored a LOT. I found the recipe for superior draconid oil in a chest in Lugos' area. Apparently I stole it and had to run away from level 36 guards.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Anybody know of a way to get the color-blind friendly witcher sense option to "stick"? Every time I start the game it's turned off.

Also, that option is a lifesaver. Before they added it, I was actually taking Cat in the middle of the day just so I could see the red markers against the green grass.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I play on my 1080p tv at 720p, but every time I start the game up the fullscreen setting reverts to windowed borderless and I have to change it back to fullscreen. The game will also kick into windowed mode if I let it idle long enough, I think my screensaver comes on and fucks it up.

Anyone experience this problem and find a fix?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Uhh Velen is great though?

Skellige had some cool landscapes but this game looks best with dense foliage and big, rolling fields of grass blowing in the wind in the middle of giant forests and swamps. The Crones' swamp in the early morning is probably the best looking environment I've ever seen in a game.

I love the low key fantasy setting and Velen really sells the idea of Witchers as actual professional travelling monster hunters. Also the Bloody Baron/Crones questline was probably my favorite part of the game.

late but +1

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I still just cannot get over the color grading in Velen making everything bright-rear end gold and dark-rear end green. Now that I'm on my second playthrough I've decided to just meditate whenever it's early sunrise/sunset-evening because I can't see poo poo in the forests when the colors are all crushed and such.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Okay, I experimented a bit. You can lower your stats again, bit by bit, by unequipping and reequipping Synergy over and over again. You can't drop below your "baseline," so if you just do this until your stats stop decreasing you'll have undone all the Dimeritium stat glitching.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm starting to think all the bandits I fight who are only wearing underwear is a glitch.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

radiatinglines posted:

I'm starting to think all the bandits I fight who are only wearing underwear is a glitch.

Haha. There's just random civilians like that too and I've never been able to figure out if it was a bug or someone has a weird sense of humor. Doesn't help that it sort of looks like a diaper.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

NESguerilla posted:

Haha. There's just random civilians like that too and I've never been able to figure out if it was a bug or someone has a weird sense of humor. Doesn't help that it sort of looks like a diaper.

Well, it is supposed to be summer given how long the days are, so it is probably hot as hell, specially near the swamps.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, way back in the thread somebody mentioned that it's not underwear, people back in the middle ages would legitimately wrap up like that since shorts weren't really a thing that had been invented yet.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Zakmonster posted:

It's also for Necrophages. Superior Black Blood cause Necrophages and Vampires to start bleeding the moment they get near you, so it's pretty awesome when fighting a swarm of alghouls.
Enhanced is pretty good too. I should try it on drowners, because the stun effect enhanced supposedly causes would, in theory, stop some of their stunlock combos.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Those of you who've finished the game, are you playing through again? If so, what are you doing differently? Are you chasing the witcher gear, or are you letting loot come to you as it may?

vvvvv but you only get it way after stuff with the other witchers is over

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 21, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm glad they put in Wolf armor, it makes the part where you're doing stuff with the other Witchers better.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Those of you who've finished the game, are you playing through again? If so, what are you doing differently? Are you chasing the witcher gear, or are you letting loot come to you as it may?

I won't. It's my play philosophy in general, I won't dabble with second playthroughs or "alts", I tend to have one run and do everything I can. I'm still uncovering the last ?'s on the map, and after that waiting for some larger DLC packs.

I did get the Wolf armor, it looks sleek and even though it lowers my sign intensity a bit from Griffin set, it was just too sleek to pass on.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I'll probably wait until more expansion stuff comes out, mods and patches, etc. I think a lot of the janky inventory and movement stuff will be fixed up in not too long and that will make this game just about perfect.

I did maybe 2/3 of the side quests and contracts so plenty of stuff left to explore on a second playthrough.

I'll likely go a lot slower and just focus on doing cool quests around my level rather than chasing gear or main quest stuff. The XP and level scaling is weird and not in a good way, I think this game would be better without a leveling system at all and I'll mostly ignore it and just enjoy stuff bite by bite

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I wish they hadn't made your allies useless in combat almost all the time. Stand around the whole fight and then swing once for 11 damage. My immersion :argh:

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Is there any way to see if you've already beaten someone at cards in the console version? I figured the dialog option with the cards would change color if you've beaten them, but it's white before and white after. Maybe I'm waiting for a patch? It seems like the cards in the dialog option should become grey if you've already beaten the merchant.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Finally finished the game. Galaxy tells me it took 185 hours, not sure if that's actually accurate but it was certainly more than 150 hours.

Played on BBB throughout. Did most question marks in Velen, less than half of them in Skellige; did all contracts and easily findable side quests, of course all of gwent as well. I hit 34 during the preparations for the final last quest so I went and got the mastercrafted wolf armor and weapons. Before that I was on Griffin all the way through.

My build was mostly signs; I find that you only need a handful of points in that tree, and of course the medium armor talent, to be comfortable (at least on BBB). I avoided spamming quen and igni due to how easy they make everything. My most often used sign was (regular) yrden. Usually cast a quen just as it looks like I'm about to walk into a fight, go in, place 1-2 regular yrdens and then start hitting things. I didn't use any aard talents, and didn't take puppet since it was apparently bugged back when I started the game and later on didn't feel I needed it, didn't take exploding shield either.

For stuff other than signs I took 3/3 alchemy recipe tolerance (best talent ever), medium armor obviously and the basic light & heavy attack talents. I had around 10 points unused at the end which I could have put in the fast attack & heavy attack alt versions, but then I wouldn't have had room to equip those without getting rid of something else and bah. It seems that towards the end it's pretty easy to be unstoppable anyway; see for example archgriffin decoction.

The ending was Ciri becoming a witcher, Nilfgaard won and Geralt retired with Yen. Like another poster earlier, I was sufficiently terrified of Emhyr that I didn't take Ciri to him. It is a bit strange that you only get one chance to do that, and the dialog prompt wasn't "listen Ciri, would you like to meet Emhyr at all?" but rather "right we're off to see Emhyr", so of course I didn't take it.

That part of the story felt the weirdest tbh. There's not much buildup to Imlerith suddenly being on our world in a definite and easily predictable place, could have used more exposition beforehand, and the urgent timing makes it double weird that the "let's see Emhyr" bit is only here and nowhere else. Of course when you think about it does make sense - the wild hunt has allies on this world, they come in person for important stuff, that tree in Velen is the same one where Geralt & Letho & co found the wild hunt before, and Imlerith is apparently a right lecher, so yeah ok. Anyway, a pretty minor complaint.

Eredin was super easy, he barely did any damage to me at all for some reason and I had archgriffin decoction on, so yeah.
Note to fellow witchers: never use the archgriffin if you want a challenge.

One of the best games of all time and certainly the best CRPG I've played. Now I want to go back and play Ultima 7 and Planescape: Torment which I missed back in the day, just to see if they can get close to the level of storytelling in this (best guess: no). :v:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

You can start getting it as soon as you get to Kaer Morhen. Its also similar to what Lambert and Eskel wear.

Speaking of Kaer Morhen quests, I laughed at a lot at everyone getting drunk, dressing in Yen's clothes and messing with the Megascope.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

jaete posted:

The ending was Ciri becoming a witcher, Nilfgaard won and Geralt retired with Yen. Like another poster earlier, I was sufficiently terrified of Emhyr that I didn't take Ciri to him. It is a bit strange that you only get one chance to do that, and the dialog prompt wasn't "listen Ciri, would you like to meet Emhyr at all?" but rather "right we're off to see Emhyr", so of course I didn't take it.

That part of the story felt the weirdest tbh. There's not much buildup to Imlerith suddenly being on our world in a definite and easily predictable place, could have used more exposition beforehand, and the urgent timing makes it double weird that the "let's see Emhyr" bit is only here and nowhere else. Of course when you think about it does make sense - the wild hunt has allies on this world, they come in person for important stuff, that tree in Velen is the same one where Geralt & Letho & co found the wild hunt before, and Imlerith is apparently a right lecher, so yeah ok. Anyway, a pretty minor complaint.

I agree with this 100%. They present that option as something that is time restrictive (I guess we should know based on how other things in the game went that you can gently caress off and do whatever you want almost whenever you want and will not be punished) but in terms of storytelling and the flow of the story, the decision to say lets go see Emhyr first should having a warning :siren:this is the only time you have the option to do this:siren: would have been nice.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i just finished all the final preparation missions before the ending sequence and gently caress that was a lot of fast travel errand running in novograd and skelege.

heres to a redeeming conclusion.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
geralt stop putting your loving sword away god drat it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Scandalous posted:

geralt stop putting your loving sword away god drat it

worse is when he doesn't take it out and you start punching a monster so you hit the draw button but its on a delay so you hit it twice and he loving puts the sword away again.