Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Tiggum posted:

How is recognising cars supposed to keep you safe?

It doesn't, directly, but it's nice to be able to say "The guy who mugged me got in a green Honda CRV, license 423 GTR, heading north on Main street" rather than "I think it was a green car or truck I think and it went that way!" It's just situational awareness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Wait, millenials are not people born after 2000? Because that's what I thought it said.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

midnightclimax posted:

Wait, millenials are not people born after 2000? Because that's what I thought it said.

Why would a group that's at most 15 years old be a group that companies are desperately trying to market to effectively? Teenagers don't buy poo poo and they don't like anything. Millennials are adults who came of age around the year 2000 and are now hitting the point where we should have stable careers and steady disposable income but lol oops the Baby Boomers hosed it for everyone and the Gen Xers picked up the last of the scraps.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I always thought Millenial meant everyone born after the Gulf War or some poo poo.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Why would a group that's at most 15 years old be a group that companies are desperately trying to market to effectively? Teenagers don't buy poo poo and they don't like anything. Millennials are adults who came of age around the year 2000.

I never really got it, and most of the explanations were fuzzy about it.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Tiggum posted:

How is recognising cars supposed to keep you safe?
The man that killed me drove in a red chevy pick up truck that had truck nuts

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

midnightclimax posted:

Well the definitions of generations are fuzzy to begin with. Generally Millennials are considered to be as early as the late eighties up to now, but you'll get different ranges.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Surely it doesn't refer to anyone born before 1990 though, right? Otherwise how the hell did it get that name?

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Last Chance posted:

Nice try, marketing department.

Greetings, fellow millenials!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Moddington posted:

Surely it doesn't refer to anyone born before 1990 though, right? Otherwise how the hell did it get that name?

Because they became adults in the new millennium?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Because they became adults in the new millennium?

So basically if you've turned 18 at some point in the last 15 years you're in the same demographic. That's hilariously stupid.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~

Choco1980 posted:

I'm fairly positive every single person I knew or passed in college had at least one credit card, and not a drat iota of fiscal responsibility taught to us. Now today, I think it's a conservative estimate to assume at least 80% of that age demographic is in financial dire straits, bankrupted, or on welfare, or living back with their parents.

This is interesting because I'm 25 and the only people I know who even own a credit card are people a couple years older than me that had kids and needed money. I can't name a single person my age that got a credit card out of anything but desperation.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

So basically if you've turned 18 at some point in the last 15 years you're in the same demographic. That's hilariously stupid.

Well when you're making up demographics you're accepting a pretty large threshold of stupidity from the start. Marketing has never been a precision strike.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Turfahurf posted:

This is interesting because I'm 25 and the only people I know who even own a credit card are people a couple years older than me that had kids and needed money. I can't name a single person my age that got a credit card out of anything but desperation.

Maybe u should stop being so poor

e:Seriously, did no one have credit cards? I mean, I had one (with a $500 limit) when I started school. Made it convenient to buy groceries and other expenses without needing cash

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~

Postal Parcel posted:

e:Seriously, did no one have credit cards? I mean, I had one (with a $500 limit) when I started school. Made it convenient to buy groceries and other expenses without needing cash

I have enough student loan debt to not want to even have a credit card and risk racking up more, and that seems to be a pretty popular opinion with the other 20-somethings I know. If I need money in a pinch I'll sell some poo poo on Craigslist or Ebay. I also know a lot of people that take apart electronics and whatever else they find on the side of the road for scrap metal.

salty fries make me cry has a new favorite as of 09:21 on Jun 21, 2015

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

can i just say this thread is way better with the "millennials-to-snake people" chrome plugin, and the wikipedia page for millennials is loving incredible with said plugin.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Turfahurf posted:

I have enough student loan debt to not want to even have a credit card and risk racking up more, and that seems to be a pretty popular opinion with the other 20-somethings I know. If I need money in a pinch I'll sell some poo poo on Craigslist or Ebay. I also know a lot of people that take apart electronics and whatever else they find on the side of the road for scrap metal.

For millennials, life is a lot like Fallout. Bitcoins, Bottlecaps, whatever.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Postal Parcel posted:

I can never decide which edge of millennial condescension I prefer. On one hand we have this, which is at least realistic in recognizing that a problem exists, if not knowing the correct one or who to blame. But people marketing to us at least assume we have money, agency and taste, so that's nice.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Full Battle Rattle posted:

For millennials, life is a lot like Fallout. Bitcoins, Bottlecaps, whatever.

Is there a site or something where I can hire millennials to split firewood or drive me around and stuff? I could totally swing 15k a year for an over-educated valet.

Edit: Seriously though, I do live event production and sometimes it seems impossible to find people willing to work for $200-250 a day being a PA. Is there anything better then CL for advertising for temp work like this?

bongwizzard has a new favorite as of 09:59 on Jun 21, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bunnielab posted:

Is there a site or something where I can hire millennials to split firewood or drive me around and stuff? I could totally swing 15k a year for an over-educated valet.

Edit: Seriously though, I do live event production and sometimes it seems impossible to find people willing to work for $200-250 a day being a PA. Is there anything better then CL for advertising for temp work like this?

Where the gently caress do you live?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Where the gently caress do you live?

I am based around Washington DC but work all over. I'm also kinda old so I don't really know anyone under 30. When I was younger I would rope my friends into work all the time.

Maybe my perception of money is off as a 1br apartment around here is like $1k-2 a month and even a room in a group house is going to run you like $400-600.

In any case, a ton of the work I do now is the production side of experiential marketing so this thread is fascinating to me as I never really get into the actual marketing/creative side of it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
How frequently are you needing PA work? If it's frequent enough, you could just hire someone part/full time and always have someone to do it?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Craigslist isn't a bad idea, though just about everybody is glued to Facebook and Twitter these days. You could also go old-fashioned and print up flyers to stick up in classroom buildings on local college campuses.

You might also try emailing a professor or two in a local school's broadcasting/radio & TV department, saying you're looking for temp PAs. Professors love that poo poo, and students love beer money.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Turfahurf posted:

I don't know anyone who didn't get a credit card somewhere between 15 and 18, even if they weren't allowed to use it for anything besides, like, eating out once a month. It's about building a credit history before you need to take out a loan.

The takeaway here is that anyone generalizing a group as large and diverse as millenials, to include "they're all broke," is making the same mistake as these marketing goobers.

It also demonstrates that the marketers aren't just dumb. It's just really, really hard to realize when you're missing details.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

bunnielab posted:

Was there every a period where people in their 20's had a ton of money? I'm 38 and doing pretty ok but I made maybe 25-30k for most of my 20's and never felt unusually poor. And we still somehow managed to drink decent beer and eat pretty well I feel like.

I'm 23, I make about 19-20k euros living in the Netherlands, which I think translates pretty directly to dollars if you consider cost of living etc.

I do have a garbage tier job in retail though, which is why I'm going back to school starting September. Not exactly happy that I'll have to live off even less for the coming five years but I really hope the bet pays off in the end.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Turfahurf posted:

Based on my conversations with people, I feel like I'm the only person in the world who uses a credit card for everything and then pays it off in full every month - taking advantage of the credit card cash back offers.

I got a credit card when I was 18, but didn't really start using it until after college, and now I am 28 and pretty much use it for everything. My friends all seem to use debit cards, which makes no sense to me... Just make sure you don't spend more than you have, use a credit card, pay it off in full every month out of your checking account, get free money/products/trips/etc.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

That's how they getcha. Nah seriously, though, that's how I live. Almost everything, utilities included, goes on my Visa.

bunnielab posted:

Jesus Christ, I have a real job, and I'd take vacation days to go do labor work if it paid that well.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I Am Crake posted:

I'm 23, I make about 19-20k euros living in the Netherlands, which I think translates pretty directly to dollars if you consider cost of living etc.

Is that after taxes? Because if it is, that's not that bad at all if you're just starting out.

I'm 25 and my current job doesn't pay much either, but I have decent benefits and almost 100% job security.

OctoberBlues posted:

I got a credit card when I was 18, but didn't really start using it until after college, and now I am 28 and pretty much use it for everything. My friends all seem to use debit cards, which makes no sense to me... Just make sure you don't spend more than you have, use a credit card, pay it off in full every month out of your checking account, get free money/products/trips/etc.

You can get a credit card just like that in the United States? I think you need a steady income before you can apply for one over here.

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 17:19 on Jun 21, 2015

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Phlegmish posted:

You can get a credit card just like that in the United States? I think you need a steady income before you can apply for one over here.

In :911: I think anyone can get a secured credit card (basically just a prepaid debit card) or one cosigned by someone with an income. There's also loads of stories of credit card companies sending offers to pets and dead people too, so there's that.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Phlegmish posted:

Is that after taxes? Because if it is, that's not that bad at all if you're just starting out.

I'm 25 and my current job doesn't pay much either, but I have decent benefits and almost 100% job security.

Nah in Europe they have special student Visa cards, for example. You just can't spend as much.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

In 2007 fresh out of high school I got a capital 1 credit card in exchange for free pizza. I'm pretty sure it has like a 50% interest rate or some poo poo. I've never actually used it because I'm not going down that rabbit hole.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For everybody curious;

Gen Y is Millennials. What age range a millennial are is really, really poorly defined. Most people use born from 1980-2000 aka born before the millennium, but some big players use more esoteric breakouts like 1977-1994 (laffo) and 1985-2000. Because of the sloppy accounting for the size of millennials they are "THE LARGEST GENERATION IN HISTORY" but lets all agree to leave stupid marketer speak in marketer land.

Gen Z is the upcoming generation, they'll get some other stupid name eventually. They are typically defined as being 2000 to present so they have yet to start entering college. The major difference between these two imaginary groups is that Gen Z uses smartphones for internet even more than millennials. People 12-17 73% own smartphones compared to about 64% for the general populace.

If you want to laugh till you cry people have already started trying to do research on Gen Z but getting quality data from people aged 0-15 can be really tricky. My favorite is someone did an interview of children I think 8-15 and said "do you think you're going to own your own business?". This high number was then compared to current millennials 20-37 (remember that stupidity of what age a millennial is?) and wowee-zowee Gen Z is gonna conquer the world because millennials just don't have the same entrepreneurial drive!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Good grief. This sounds like someone with a Salary of 7 or more digits and a double digit IQ, forced some poor gently caress to research children's spending habits.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

VendaGoat posted:

Good grief. This sounds like someone with a Salary of 7 or more digits and a double digit IQ, forced some poor gently caress to research children's spending habits.

This is my career; forever pushed around by a person so disconnected from reality yet so well placed that they can demand invites to Cannes only because they think it overlaps with the film festival and then send angry emails to their agency when they find out that is not the case once they arrive. I literally once worked with an alcohol-prescription painkiller abuser who couldn't remember what she had and hadn't approved for more than a year and she not only kept her job but was able to jump ship to a new, better job.

Another example: Millennials love Taylor Swift so clearly people who order our pizza will want to pay extra to get Taylor Swift's CD. What's that, you think nobody wants to pay $22 dollars for a pizza and a cd? And Taylor Swift's people know it isn't a good fit for their brand so in addition to cuts of the CD sales they want Papa Johns to pay multiple millions of dollars up front? Do it anyway! What's that, this plan failed miserably and we lost millions on the deal and sold seemingly 0 more pizzas than we would have otherwise????

The guy who approved that campaign had a fascinating career as a bridge burner starting with that.

Barudak has a new favorite as of 18:29 on Jun 21, 2015

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Barudak posted:

This is my career; forever pushed around by a person so disconnected from reality yet so well placed that they can demand invites to Cannes only because they think it overlaps with the film festival and then send angry emails to their agency when they find out that is not the case once they arrive. I literally once worked with an alcohol-prescription painkiller abuser who couldn't remember what she had and hadn't approved for more than a year and she not only kept her job but was able to jump ship to a new, better job.

Another example: Millennials love Taylor Swift so clearly people who order our pizza will want to pay extra to get Taylor Swift's CD. What's that, you think nobody wants to pay $22 dollars for a pizza and a cd? And Taylor Swift's people know it isn't a good fit for their brand so in addition to cuts of the CD sales they want Papa Johns to pay multiple millions of dollars up front? Do it anyway! What's that, this plan failed miserably and we lost millions on the deal and sold seemingly 0 more pizzas than we would have otherwise????

The guy who approved that campaign had a fascinating career as a bridge burner starting with that.

:stonklol:

If you have stories, I would enjoy a thread of them.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Barudak posted:

Should have done it with One Direction. If Twitter trends mean anything, put One Direction on something and tween/teen girls will start frothing at the mouth

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
That Taylor Swift/Papa Johns deal was hilarious because she got an insane amount of money for it up front. Papa John's also has the problem of the people running their official twitter account being tone deaf morons who see other corporate twitter accounts that actually are funny and try to just mimic them.

Twitter is a great microcosm of current marketing/ad problems because you'll get an account like Denny's which is run by someone who's really creative and knows how to do twitter humor, and then you'll get PapaJohns, who when a major celeb is furious that a PapaJohns employee sent her cell number out to friends will make jokey references to her #songs.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

midnightclimax posted:

My general understanding is that "millenials" generally refers to "the internet generation." While generations are just fuzzy in and of themselves millenials are generally people that grew up with the internet and came of age at least around the turn of the millenium. When it comes to adults it's usually used to refer to people from 18 to early 30's. One of the biggest indicators is who grew up with the internet and who didn't. Of course growing up with the internet changes people in ways that people that didn't grow up with it don't quite understand. The world is dramatically different now than it was before the internet got huge and some people just don't understand it.

Plus marketing just looks superficially at millenial culture and think that the internet is made entirely up of skinny white hipsters drinking craft beers, expensive lattes, and eating only the best organic ingredients. Whereas in the past "hire a celebrity to say nice things about your product" was a good advertising technique it's been used for so long people see right through it. Plus like has been said time and time again if they actually went out and asked millenials what they wanted it would mostly be stuff like "I want a loving job" or "I want my student loans paid off."

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

VendaGoat posted:

:stonklol:

If you have stories, I would enjoy a thread of them.

Seconding. You would probably take ages to run out of these stories, but even if you did, there must be other goons with insane marketing stories that could contribute as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So this is a twitter failure story that segues into what I think is the single most brilliant twitter advertising I have ever seen.

So cars.com recently decided to run a campaign that was such a failure I can't find the hashtag name anymore and it was barely a month ago so lets just say it was #checktoturnoff. This campaign was for one single day to launch their new mechanic finder service. Makes sense, right? Well despite the name and the focus, they weren't allowed to hire or have a diagnostic person on staff for the account. So you could only "share stories about your check engine light experiences". If you think it was a failure, boy howdy was it. 2 acceptable tweets out of 9 total tweets in a day for a campaign that required live human beings in a room to monitor the twitter feed. Back of the sheet math says it probably cost north of 30k for this.

Here is the brilliant advertising. One of those unacceptable tweets was targeted at those people in the room. I can't remember the exact words but it was something like "Stuck monitoring live twitter feed? Check out porn at [website]" It turns out there is a twitter bot of some sort that hunts out campaigns that have live-monitoring and targets at those people in the room aka the only people likely to actually read a goddamn ad on twitter. God bless you, porn bot.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Plus marketing just looks superficially at millenial culture and think that the internet is made entirely up of skinny white hipsters drinking craft beers, expensive lattes, and eating only the best organic ingredients. Whereas in the past "hire a celebrity to say nice things about your product" was a good advertising technique it's been used for so long people see right through it. Plus like has been said time and time again if they actually went out and asked millenials what they wanted it would mostly be stuff like "I want a loving job" or "I want my student loans paid off."

If you're curious as to why food people are so obsessed with Millennials its because by and large, Millennials eat out like two or more meal occasions a week than older people. Part of this is heavily skewed by college kids but as they make up less and less of the total group its becoming pretty stable and I'd be confident saying, yes, younger people really do eat out more. The issue marketers haven't really figured out is a) The people eating upscale poo poo are not the majority of millennials nor does that account for the majority of their meals and b) Millennials in general are pretty loving cheap. Sure they spend more than $50 bucks a week on food out (compares to like $34 everyone else) but they're stretching that out over more meals.

The other thing is one of the few things Millennials by and large respond well to, unsurprisingly, are companies that put money where their mouth is and actually do things that support what they want their brand to be. Chipotle for instance gets away with relatively high prices because when things happen like "we can't get enough of the steak" they raised prices and limited steak access instead of lowering quality/using meat that goes against their perception.

Edit: Also if you think the only investor idiot bubble ongoing is in apps home delivered meal companies like blue-plate have market valuations of over $5 billion based on total revenues less than $40 million.

Barudak has a new favorite as of 19:25 on Jun 21, 2015