Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I am so triggered right now.

I got BLM to 53 and AST to 36 and I feel like I've played too much over the past two days :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
A little bit late, but here's my AST hotbars:

This is a pretty good set up for me. In case it's hard to tell, the bottom bars are 1-6 and Q E for the last two buttons with Ctrl for the middle and Shift for the top bar. Shift will be reserved for attacks and things rarely used mid-combat. In the case I need to stance dance, I'll have my finger on Shift already. Ascend is on the same key as Swiftcast with a different modifier, since it's the main spell I would Swiftcast. Ctrl for now is just Aspected stuff. Diurnal (and soon Nocturnal) are on unassigned keys because I won't be pressing them mid-battle anyway.

I've really come to like my cards set up. I have the numpad buttons assigned to my mouse, which has enough side buttons to work off of the entire numpad, but I think even without my mouse buttons I would still use numpad for cards, where I would just use buttons to cycle through the party list (or perhaps the F1-F8 buttons, maybe). Disable's also on my mouse because I felt it fit better there and wanted to make a neat + sign.

It's a bit personalized for my special case, but hopefully it can help other people find a nice set-up to make everything easily accessible.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Downtime posted:

Can finally get some rest!

cool username/post combo

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Downtime posted:

REPAIR YOUR poo poo OH MY GOD

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Downtime posted:

Congratulations, that must have taken some hard work and dedication! But also

Klades posted:

Downtime
Sep 25, 2009

Klades posted:

There are a few slivers left, its all good!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fat_Cow posted:

Ravana with pubs is a nightmare, jesus

Went fine for me when I ran it on Friday via DF. Cleared it without anyone wiping and I think only 1 guy had cleared it so far. :shrug:

Downtime posted:

Just gonna quote this (crazy motherfucker) for all the people who were giving me poo poo when I said there'd be level 60s well before EA ended.

Though I was talking about existing 50s like Chyea. Please tell me you didn't play non-stop without sleeping since the servers came up. :psyduck:

Downtime posted:

There are a few slivers left, its all good!

See this guy know's what's up and doesn't conform to those "keep your poo poo repaired so it doesn't break in Coil Ravana dungeons" ways, man.

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

Bland posted:

Anyone have any opinions on Wanderer's Minuet yet? I was skeptical about if before release and so far I dislike it even more than I thought I would.

Oh and also Barrage seems straight up lovely now, contrary to previous speculation 3x Sidewinder isn't a thing. Sidewinder is an ability, not a weaponskill so it doesn't work. I can't imagine a situation where Barrage is even close to being equal to old Barrage.

My alt is BLM so I'm use to dealing with cast bars and clipping to move, but BLM has great defensive cool downs if I decide to just eat something while BRDs have a lot of buffs that I can't get them all off in between casts. I find I'm letting a lot of things fall off (straight shot, dots) or delaying cool downs which sucks, and I'm taking a lot of damage when I'm usually the one dodging and dancing around everyone.

Minuet + Empyreal Arrow + barrage is great though. With all the offensive CDs up I'm doing 4k, which is nuts. Maybe stance dancing is the way to go? I haven't looked at any of the new moves though and am current lv55, so will have to reevaluate everything at 60.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Renegret posted:

I am so triggered right now.

I got BLM to 53 and AST to 36 and I feel like I've played too much over the past two days :smith:

I am up to WAR 55 and DRK 34 and woke up at for launch time and have been playing nearly nonstop and I feel behind compared to some of these people. That's the worst thing about these things I feel bad for stopping to smell the roses even though I really shouldn't :argh:

Also speaking of lesser poopsockser epiphanies, I finally decided to start playing with stance dancing as WAR in dungeons and it turns out it's really goddamned cool and it seems like you're kind of supposed to. When you switch, your stacks are converted between Wrath and Abandon as appropriate. When taking heavy hits from bosses, throw up Defiance, when adds come out or there's a DPS check, switch to Deliverance. All 3 tanks have stance switching mechanics now, and it seems like MOST of the new WAR stuff is centered on basically allowing WAR to do this too, and as such I predict a lot of Alexander and Extremes will be tailored towards tanks switching between defensive and dps stances.

It really makes WAR's rotation and cooldown management a lot more interesting as well as continuing the grand WAR tradition of kind of blowing apart the implied linear and static order of a "rotation" in lieu of doing things that are situationally appropriate, which is pretty much why I love WAR so much in the first place. Now to find hotbar room and work out muscle memory for stance switching which I previously had in a weird spot in the corner :V

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 21, 2015

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I love Ishgardian names :allears:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I think my retainer is having an identity crisis.

(She talks without an accent in every other line, but for this one line she suddenly is getting all Limsa Lominsa on me).

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

I think my retainer is having an identity crisis.

(She talks without an accent in every other line, but for this one line she suddenly is getting all Limsa Lominsa on me).

She's putting on an act in all the other lines :ssh:

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
Is this game worth it for someone who exclusively enjoys PvP endgame?

I like storylines and questing, but I have limited interest in raiding.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

vanbags posted:

PvP can be fulfilling according to the people that enjoy it, but the queue times can be long. There are things beyond raiding to do at endgame, though, such crafting/gathering, which is sort of like a separate game that feeds itself. I'm not sure if it'd be worth it for PvP exclusively, but if you could find something else alongside it, maybe?

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 21, 2015

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Aren't reports of queue times a little conflicting? I haven't played myself, but I seem to remember hearing that one of the factions had pretty okay queues due to basically no one joining them.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

vanbags posted:

While the PvP is good, it's extremely limited in scope and content compared to everything else, and it will take a lot PvE to unlock and get stuff you will want for PvP. As such it sounds like this game probably wouldn't tickle your fancy unless you find something compelling in the PvE that you didn't expect, which isn't impossible because the PvE is a lot more interesting mechanics-wise than pretty much any other MMO.

I really enjoy the PvP in this game but not particularly the /marked/ PVP parts--I enjoy getting into wacky tank threat fights in Crystal Tower :v:

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
A new Odin-like Fate spawned in Dranavian Forelands on Hyperion and I had to teleport out cause actions were taking like 10 seconds to fire off (I'm going relatively slowly so new to the zone and had no idea how to get to it).

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Boten Anna posted:

While the PvP is good, it's extremely limited in scope and content compared to everything else, and it will take a lot PvE to unlock and get stuff you will want for PvP
Could you elaborate a little on this? Is this like WotLK where PvE gear shits all over PvP?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

vanbags posted:

Could you elaborate a little on this? Is this like WotLK where PvE gear shits all over PvP?

No, but you can't really do the large scale PVP most players are in til you hit level 50. So you'd have to quest/do the mains tory to get there.

biopanda
Sep 28, 2007

How do I resize the dialogue box? My hard drive died, had to reinstall everything, now it's tiny as gently caress.

HelloPlatypus
Apr 2, 2010

GIRL
SHE'S A GIRL
OBVIOUSLY JUST LOOK AT HER
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but my friend just pointed it out to me and this totally has to be a bug or something because it's just too good to be intentional.

Turns out WAR's Raw Intuiton skill (20s guaranteed parry from front, guaranteed crits from attacks in the flank/back) also guarantees critical heals from the back and flank as well for the duration. It's essentially a 20 second hallowed ground with a SCH adlo bombing you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbOkyU7_YTI

There's no way this is legit, right?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

vanbags posted:

This game is not balanced around PVP in any way shape or form, if you join the battlegrounds you will become another belzac and hate literally every paladin you meet, the rewards are essentially cosmetic, and no one in the game really gives a poo poo about it.

The answer you're looking for is "no" but people like to try to put a positive spin on things here.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Verranicus posted:

No, but you can't really do the large scale PVP most players are in til you hit level 50. So you'd have to quest/do the mains tory to get there.
Oh, gotcha. I do enjoy storylines and questing, which is a lot of what appealed me to try the game out because I hear the story is really good.

I've just never really been into raiding and gear progression.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i give a poo poo about pvp

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Got my WHM to level 60 and unlocked expert roulette. Unfortuantely, the first extreme is not DFable. Anyone wanna do it?

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Is it just me or does Wanderer's Minuet make Bard feel like poo poo to play? Like, to the point of I really don't want to play this class anymore if we're actually expected to use this

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

ActionZero posted:

A new Odin-like Fate spawned in Dranavian Forelands on Hyperion and I had to teleport out cause actions were taking like 10 seconds to fire off (I'm going relatively slowly so new to the zone and had no idea how to get to it).

I find it odd that Dravanian Forelands isn't on the instanced zones list, it seemed to be getting more and more crowded. Wonder if it will be added soon.

vanbags posted:

First of all, to really unlock PvP you will need to level to 50 and complete the main story quest; you can't level through PvP, it's an endgame activity. There are some 4v4 arena matches that are sub-level 50 but nobody does them and the rewards are garbage.

There are basically two PvP activities: Wolf's Den and Frontlines.

Wolf's Den are 4v4 arena matches, and they're not very popular and if I recall the rewards are rather slow in coming. I believe there's a small community of people who are really into it, but I don't know much about it.

Frontlines are similar to WoW battlegrounds, with one being something like Arathi Basin and the other more objective based where there are more adds to kill for points in addition to other players. There's a "roulette" (daily bonus for doing it at random) for it that offers XIV's equivalent of Honor/Valor and some really cool mounts and cosmetic rewards locked behind grinding it out, so it's much more popular, but queues can still be slow.

By completing PvP matches you get PvP ranks (levels) and PvP currency to buy PvP gear that has good PvP stats and, more importantly to most players, looks really cool. PvP experience lets you enhance PvP abilities and base stats.

There are PvP abilities in addition to the PvE abilities, with some PvE abilities working differently or having no effect (Provoke, for instance, does nothing). As this creates something of a wall between PvE and PvP balance, there's a complete lack of the WoW plague of one or the other necessitating unnecessary balance changes to the opposite.

As far as gear goes, Frontlines normalizes everybody's gear to be roughly the same, making it difficult to get a massive gear advantage. That said, PvP gear is optimally statted for PvP and will improve your performance, and you only really get it from participating in PvP.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Red Red Blue posted:

Is it just me or does Wanderer's Minuet make Bard feel like poo poo to play? Like, to the point of I really don't want to play this class anymore if we're actually expected to use this

My friend who has been playing Bard for about 4 months says the exact same thing. He's currently powerleveling his 20s PGL to become his new main because he dislikes new BRD so much :(

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

HelloPlatypus posted:

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but my friend just pointed it out to me and this totally has to be a bug or something because it's just too good to be intentional.

Turns out WAR's Raw Intuiton skill (20s guaranteed parry from front, guaranteed crits from attacks in the flank/back) also guarantees critical heals from the back and flank as well for the duration. It's essentially a 20 second hallowed ground with a SCH adlo bombing you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbOkyU7_YTI

There's no way this is legit, right?

I can't think why it would be, but then again, it does say guaranteed crits from the back and flank. Technically accurate if a healer is healing from that spot. :v:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Downtime posted:

Were you doing main story quests? Are you a MSQ cutscene skipper?!

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Wait, what is Wanderers Minuet? I had planned to take my BRD from 50-60 eventually and you guys are scaring me.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Boten Anna posted:

That said, PvP gear is optimally statted for PvP and will improve your performance, and you only really get it from participating in PvP.

PVE still has some really ideally statted items for PVP, though. Which only really matters if you're super spergy min-maxing in PVP.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Wait, what is Wanderers Minuet? I had planned to take my BRD from 50-60 eventually and you guys are scaring me.

It turns autoattack off and gives your ablities cast times in exchange for doing more damage. There's just something really off about the way it feels to play. I've talked to Bards who like it so maybe it's just something wrong with me :shobon:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Verranicus posted:

Makes all your abilities have a 1.5~ second cast time for 20% extra damage but turns of auto attacks but gives you access to cool other moves

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Red Red Blue posted:

WM is real bad and I hate it.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Hey DRGs, I just saw that they took the directional requirements off of a couple attacks a while ago, did that end up being as big of a deal as it seems to me right now or no?

Downtime
Sep 25, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Were you doing main story quests? Are you a MSQ cutscene skipper?!

Fate groups 30-50.
50+ had the following priority:
1) Boss Fates when they popped
2) MSQ until they turn red and require the next level
3) Dungeons if you have a premade to run with
4) Side quests supplemented by nearby Fates

I avoided the duty finder, despite being a tank. It was easier to just side quest and do fates over dealing with randoms

It also helps to keep an eye out for:
Map discovery for 2k per reveal
Sightseeing for 18kish each

Also make sure you do your daily roulettes, weekly challenges, daily hunt log, and hunting log if you have a class.

I only skipped boring or setup cutscenes, I liked the main story :)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Hey, I just hit level 50. If I buy Heavensward now on Steam, will my level be uncapped? Or will it not be uncapped until Tuesday, because I missed the early access window?

e: oh, nevermind, I guess I can still get early access

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 21, 2015

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.

Mo0 posted:

Hey DRGs, I just saw that they took the directional requirements off of a couple attacks a while ago, did that end up being as big of a deal as it seems to me right now or no?
They changed directionals to still give the really important stuff (heavy thrust gives the buff even if you miss) while lowering potency if you miss them.
Also Impulse Drive got changed to combo no matter what and its positional was shifted to Chaos Thrust. It's helpful if you can't hit that positional right away for whatever reason.
Our two new skills also have severe penalties if you miss the positional (290 pot -> 100 pot) but still extend our buff thingy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Game just booted me off with a login error, but then told me I was still logged on. Now there's a huge 388-person queue. And just when the DF had clicked too...!

• Locked thread