Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Daktari posted:

I've recently picked up the Vorkosigan saga, and blown through two pre-Miles books. I get a good feeling from these. :allears:

Please tell me that the goon consensus of these books, is that they are worth reading. I've easily ignored series talked about ITT before, if enough people have talked them down.

Oh, to be able to read the Vorkosigan saga for the first time again. I envy you. (The series has been an abiding favourite of mine for, what, about twenty years now, just did my nth reread of the whole thing last year.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
loving browser double-posting on me? Ah well. Bujold is one of the greats of the field and there's nothing else like the Vorkosigan series, really. Books are notably not all the same, some have plenty of action with space warships and ultratech commando raids and whatnot, others are more investigation and so on, at least one is almost pure romantic comedy.

Groke fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 18, 2015

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

n4 posted:

I just finished the four books in the Count to a Trillion series by John C Wright. I really dig them, though they're ridiculously complicated. Unfortunately John C Wright is a crazy homophobe or something too.

These were pretty terrible though. From the tech to most of the plots.

Don't forget the dragonballz style IQ reporting. Oh no better not mess with these dudes their IQ levels are over 9000!!!!

Like literally that.

Also I was wondering if these were published as a series of shorts because in each book he goes over the same plot exposition several times.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Fried Chicken posted:

My point is that since he doesn't include character arcs, Ringo's works are more power fantasy than anything else.

Sure, I agree with that. I appreciate your clarification - I totally read your first post as a more direct comparison of Traviss to Ringo than it was intended to be.

Personally I'd say your main point about Ringo is patently obvious to anyone who's read fifty pages of a Ringo book, but then in order for anyone to argue otherwise they'd have to read a Ringo book. Not something I want to suggest :v:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I don't like right-wing crap but I am addicted to missile volley ekphrasis

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Big word, bub. I don't know if missile volleys are art, but it's an interesting thesis.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Patrick Spens posted:

[John Ringo's] Ghost series was originally never meant to be printed. It was just him writing down fantasies that he didn't think were fit for public consumption.
Well, yeah, see, maybe the original idea was that it was a joke, but he published the book and then kept going. There gets to be a point where it's like, dude...

Drifter posted:

If you haven't read them, [John C. Wright's] Golden Age trilogy is also really entertaining. They're really cool.
They're cool, but as others have pointed out there's a huge Rand bent to them. I used to think "no, the writer was just carrying on the Greek tragedic mode of heroes with the flaw of hubris, that's why the main character is such an rear end in a top hat", but I recently re-read it. And no, the main character isn't meant to be flawed, he's either a victim of random fate, a victim of Evil Badguy machinations, or a victim of unworthy slimes who just want to suck wealth out of the industrious and gifted heroes who created it.

Psion posted:

Jim Baen's publishing motto was "if it sells, I'll sell it" and that is why their stable of authors and the output therein seems to be so :psyduck: scattered from far-left to far-right to far-out to far-far-away-from-me-at-all-costs.
Also Jim Baen seemed to operate mostly on a personal level; "I like you, I'll publish your books. I don't like you, so you don't get published here." To the extent that he had any personal politics they were crazy right-wing, but he managed to keep that part of his personality mostly separate from personal relationships (which, as I've said, were the same thing as business to him.)

Fried Chicken posted:

I have unfortunately read them all [the Republic Commando series]. I do agree that there was some interesting stuff there with how she worked the Sith creed into the Mandalorian code, and how that offered some storytelling possibilities along with showing how the creeping militarism and shock doctrine was reshaping the galaxy to fascism. Instead she went a different way.
I so wish that Lucas had waited a year or two more before pulling the plug on her Mandalorian ideas, because I wanted to see how she squared the circle of "my main characters have all gone Dark Side!" Because if you read her weblogs and public statements, she very clearly thinks that the Mandalorians are the best possible people and we should only hope to one day be as awesome as they are.

I've been reading "Star Soldiers", by Andre Norton. It's okay; if you want some sci-fi action, it's...actually kind of light on the action, there's a lot more "we're walking from place to place, boy this sucks". I'm about a third of the way through, and so far it's another re-telling of the Anabasis.

Miss-Bomarc fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 19, 2015

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Ape Gone Insane posted:

Any series like Game of Thrones in space? Google throws up The Expanse series which is nothing loving like GoT. Dune is probably the closest I've read and I liked the concept they reworked into Jupiter Ascending - so basically any powerful families/houses fighting over a resource or a throne in a space opera setting (with lots of grey characters and deaths)?

From looking around, there doesn't seem to be anything, which is kinda surprising, it's a decent concept to run with.

Legend of Galactic Heroes. Multiple movies and hundreds of episodes with many OVAs etc (lookup a suggested watching order before starting). Yes, it's not a book. But it's basically GoT in space, and honestly, is much better.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Shakugan posted:

Legend of Galactic Heroes. Multiple movies and hundreds of episodes with many OVAs etc (lookup a suggested watching order before starting). Yes, it's not a book. But it's basically GoT in space, and honestly, is much better.

To be like GoT in space, it needs aliens and space monsters (Others and dragons). Does Legend of GH have that?

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Libluini posted:

To be like GoT in space, it needs aliens and space monsters (Others and dragons). Does Legend of GH have that?
No, but to be fair neither does most of GoT.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Any recommendations for near future science dramas similar to The Martian or Contact?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Gamesguy posted:

Any recommendations for near future science dramas similar to The Martian or Contact?

You could try Seveneves.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

General Battuta posted:

You could try Seveneves.

That's on my list.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Mars Trilogy

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Gamesguy posted:

Some of Stephen Baxter's stuff (mainly Voyage, Moonseed, Titan, and the Manifold series) might fit this for you.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Shakugan posted:

It's fine for the first 20 episodes or so but very quickly goes downhill after that. Like after they capture the deathstar just quit watching.

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003
Illiteracy... what does that word even mean?

Gamesguy posted:

Encounter with Tiber

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Gamesguy posted:

Rendezvous With Rama, perhaps? (Don't read the sequels.)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think most of the Niven/Pournelle books fit the bill, and Ben Bova's novels are pretty fun takes on near future exploration.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Oh yeah, I'm a big Bova fan. Kinsman, Voyagers (probably the closest novel I can think of to Contact), Colony, Mars, and Return to Mars were all pretty grounded "near-future" sci-fi when they were written, albeit they were all written over a time spanning like four decades so a lot of what was near-future shifted.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

General Battuta posted:

You could try Seveneves.

OK so I gave up on this one a couple chapters in. It just felt too huge with too many characters with insufficient focus on any of them.

I think I liked The Martian and Contact so much because they're tightly focused on one main character. I guess I'm just not into huge epics involving a dozen main characters.

I just remembered another one I liked, Ready Player One.

thehomemaster posted:

Mars Trilogy

Is it anything like Years of Rice and Salt? I couldn't get into that book despite the glowing recommendations.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 22, 2015

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

thehomemaster posted:

Mars Trilogy

Is this the Red/Blue/Green Mars trilogy? That series was pretty good for a while, but eventually just sorta dragged on.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I'm getting close to the end of Seveneves and this really should have been two books. The later parts feel far more superficially handled than they should be, yet Stephenson's descended into "As you know," to the point of parody, or possibly Weber.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Gamesguy posted:

They're hotly contested here on SA, but the thing i liked most about The Expanse Series was its "near future" setting. With only a couple notable exceptions, all of its technology is pretty comparable to today's and thus very relatable. No artificial gravity or FTL travel or transporters. It presented in a really interesting way how space travel might look today. All gravity is provided either by engine thrust or centrifugal force (spinning), and travel times are appropriately long (and varied, depending on the current alignment of the solar system). Sounds like it's just what you're looking for.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Gamesguy posted:

It just felt too huge with too many characters with insufficient focus on any of them.

This must have been your first, and consequently your last Neal Stephenson book.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

chrisoya posted:

I'm getting close to the end of Seveneves and this really should have been two books. The later parts feel far more superficially handled than they should be, yet Stephenson's descended into "As you know," to the point of parody, or possibly Weber.
The entire "A+5000" section should have been trimmed back to a couple of pages where it's like, "Joe Ivanona looked up at the massive Habitat Ring that encircled the sky, then looked down at the boiling foam left as the waves receded across the beach. Receded everywhere but one place. A group of three humanoid figures stood where none had been as the wave broke. Joe took in their strangeness, the odd hairless smoothness of their nearly-uniform grey skin, as he raised his hand to greet the last of the Lost Tribes..." Some bullshit like that.

Miss-Bomarc fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 23, 2015

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

WarLocke posted:

Ringo is weird and I can't figure him out. Yeah, all that creepy poo poo he actually wrote, but it all happens in one of his book series. The others are mostly free of that poo poo (the Aldenata ones have the blondes in heat thing but it's mentioned maybe twice and never actually means anything to the plot), but hes still the guy ho wrote the Ghost books. I just don't get it.

Blondes in heat is actually from the Troy Rising/Gates series, not Aldenata :spergin:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Darkrenown posted:

Blondes in heat is actually from the Troy Rising/Gates series, not Aldenata :spergin:

Aldenata has its own set of women rebuilt by alien technology to be super horny blonde bombshells with the bodies of 18 year olds.

I remember because their story was far more compelling than the men. Having your body completely reconstructed against your will by an automaton acting on its own directives is a much more interesting plot than "mindlessly slaughter putties while complaining about anyone to the right of Franco"

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Fried Chicken posted:

Aldenata has its own set of women rebuilt by alien technology to be super horny blonde bombshells with the bodies of 18 year olds.

I remember because their story was far more compelling than the men. Having your body completely reconstructed against your will by an automaton acting on its own directives is a much more interesting plot than "mindlessly slaughter putties while complaining about anyone to the right of Franco"

The fourth novel Hell's Faire includes some Sluggy Freelance guest strips by Pete Abrams since the popular internet comic strip is featured somewhat prominently in a way. (A massive armored military vehicle is named after Bun-Bun the mini-lop from the strip.) Some of the strips are samples of the actual comic strip and others are an exclusive alternate timeline setting where the Sluggy characters have to deal with the Posleen invasion.

:what:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Someone ten pages back was asking for some plain sci-fi "ground pounders" without any of the weird poo poo usually associated with mil sci fi.
Rick Shelley

I read one of his books as a kid so last year I checked out the first in the Lucky 13th series to see how they've held up. Its a decent read, sets itself apart more on the fact that there's no creepy sex/politics/author BS. Shelley draws heavily on WW2 and presents a fairly conventional war with some technological advances that haven't aged well. The overarching story is the allied, independent planets defending themselves against invasion by the fascist planets, but it primarily focuses on the front line experience; the main characters are a grunt, a tanker, and a pilot.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Revelation Space was pretty decent, if a bit rough in some ways. Redemption Ark seems to be well reviewed so I'm starting that, but the reviews for Absolation Gap are terrible, is it reallly that bad?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Levitate posted:

Revelation Space was pretty decent, if a bit rough in some ways. Redemption Ark seems to be well reviewed so I'm starting that, but the reviews for Absolation Gap are terrible, is it reallly that bad?

I liked Absolution Gap a lot. It's very different though. About 33% of it continues the Inhibitors plot thread, while 66% of it concentrates on a new plot tangent.

You get closure on some things (eg: the fate of Nostalgia For Infinity and some of its crew/passengers), but not others. You'll need to read the short story "Galactic North" in the collection of the same name to fully understand the ending.

Reynolds could always write more books in that universe, too.

Don't listen to the haters. It's a fine story.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It's okay on its own, but it isn't Redemption Ark Part 2, which is what a lot of people (like me :smith:) wanted.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Hedrigall posted:

Reynolds could always write more books in that universe, too.

IIRC he is contractually obligated to, as part of his million-pound 10 year deal.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

If Reynolds wrote a collection of short stories that was just Clavain going on rad space adventures I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Fried Chicken posted:

Pretty sure they just get rejuvenated and had their strength and speed upgraded after one of their group gets badly wounded and they discover the alien-tech medical station, they didn't get made blonde, horny, or more attractive beyond what being rebuilt as your 18 YO self in top shape would normally do. Lots of people got rejuvenated in the series though (including the SS :v:), the only difference is the ladies found one of the unrestricted stations and were able to get "upgrades" too - which they asked for.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I just read the whole Old Man War series of books. Goddamn Scalzi needs to just sit still and write, all the books were much much too short.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

They are a good length for selling lots of copies in print.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Baloogan posted:

I just read the whole Old Man War series of books. Goddamn Scalzi needs to just sit still and write, all the books were much much too short.

How YA-ish is Zoe's Tale?
Is it perfectly skippable because it's all Zoe and alien love romances, or is it actually tolerable for someone who is not 14 anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Its, uh, very YA. Explains wtf happened at the end of the Lost Colony though.

• Locked thread