Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

WrightOfWay posted:

I'm reading Part 5 for the first time. What is King Crimson's ability? He erases time? Does that mean he goes back in time a few seconds and that's how he can dodge all of Buccellati's attacks? That whole fight was completely incomprehensible to me.

It really is best to just assume it just works and head on. But the easiest way I know of to think about it is that KC can basically stop causality for up to 10 seconds; the things that were happening at the start of the deleted time keep going on course, but nothing interacts, because 'causes' are persisting, but 'effects' are nulled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

WrightOfWay posted:

I'm reading Part 5 for the first time. What is King Crimson's ability? He erases time? Does that mean he goes back in time a few seconds and that's how he can dodge all of Buccellati's attacks? That whole fight was completely incomprehensible to me.

The bruno fight makes way more sense if you assume that Diavolo can attach his Epitaph ability to others and not just to himself.

Otherwise, yeah, it just erases time and erases the events that happened within that time.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Takes a chunk of time, the actions that take place in that time are erased, but the effects still happen. He can move around in this time and Epitaph lets him read it in advance.

So for example.

1. Someone shoots a bullet at him.
2. Hits him and goes through his body and hits an apple behind him.
3. Bullet hits wall.

He can get rid of 2 and make it so 1 and 3 happen immediately after each other and move out of the way of the bullet during the time that would be erased so it'd be
1. Someone shoots bullet
3. Bullet hits wall. Apple still gets hit by the bullet, Diavolo doesn't.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

WrightOfWay posted:

In essence, Diavolo can move in the "erased" time as if he did not exist. Everyone else will act as they would have in that time so if someone was, say, walking, they will keep going forward, but a bullet headed towards Diavolo will pass through him as if he was not there.

Additionally, since others do not experience erased time, stuff they did not expect that happens within it (like hearing someone screaming for help) will not be noticed.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

The bruno fight makes way more sense if you assume that Diavolo can attach his Epitaph ability

wait what?

are we talking about .hack//GU here? :confused:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Race Realists posted:

wait what?

are we talking about .hack//GU here? :confused:

That's the specific name of the king crimson "can see what is happening next" thing, think like Star Platinum's The World or Killer Queen's Sheer Heart Attack

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
You know how Dio's power is basically having a pause button for reality, but he can still move around independently during the paused time?

Diavolo's power is basically the same, except instead of a pause button it's a skip-to-next-scene button. He can still move and act independently during the skipped time.

Additionally he has a separate power, Epitaph, of being able to view a short ways into the future.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The true power of King Crimson is to make everybody explain it in a different way and confuse each other

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

It's like that Futurama episode where Fry goes forward in time to go back in time.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I still don't really understand the "what you punched was your future self" bit of it. I'm not going to even try to figure it out. It's just a thing.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Aurain posted:

Takes a chunk of time, the actions that take place in that time are erased, but the effects still happen. He can move around in this time and Epitaph lets him read it in advance.

So for example.

1. Someone shoots a bullet at him.
2. Hits him and goes through his body and hits an apple behind him.
3. Bullet hits wall.

He can get rid of 2 and make it so 1 and 3 happen immediately after each other and move out of the way of the bullet during the time that would be erased so it'd be
1. Someone shoots bullet
3. Bullet hits wall. Apple still gets hit by the bullet, Diavolo doesn't.

To expand on this, he can also see into the near future. Diavolo is confined to the same rules as everyone else during the time skip, but because he knows what's going to happen he is able to put himself in prime punching position while everyone else is disoriented and confused by it suddenly being the future.

edit:watch this http://www.netflix.com/watch/70140737?trackId=13752289&tctx=0%252C14%252Ca0c27c07-7252-445e-90de-574a630da22e-96318061

Pomp fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jun 21, 2015

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I don't think Diavolo follows the same rules as everyone else when he skips time. Everyone else suddenly ends up in the future and gets disoriented, but he can still move around in skipped time.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He's confined in that it's not shown that he can do new actions in the erased time that will have tangible effects. Anyone who dies in the erased time would have died anyway, which I think is what happened to Narancia.

He can't walk up to someone, shoot them in the head, and then position himself and delete the time and have that person die.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Aurain posted:

I still don't really understand the "what you punched was your future self" bit of it. I'm not going to even try to figure it out. It's just a thing.

IMO it's just putting the effects of epitaph on bruno, since everything bruno experienced is what doppio experienced when dealing with epitaph

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Aurain posted:

Anyone who dies in the erased time would have died anyway, which I think is what happened to Narancia.

Diavolo threw Narancia onto the fence, then skipped time repeatedly so nobody else would notice until Narancia bled out.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Thanks for the explanations. Araki really likes his final bosses to have Time Fuckery as one of their abilities, I guess. This makes 3 Parts in a row.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Diavolo threw Narancia onto the fence, then skipped time repeatedly so nobody else would notice until Narancia bled out.

I'd always read that as it being something that was going to happen anyway though. Like, he'd seen it was going to happen with Epitaph, so the most he had to do was fulfil the prediction, rather than introduce a new event within erased time.

I've not read a passable translation of VA so it's not like I can make any sort of real educated discussion around it though.

WrightOfWay posted:

Thanks for the explanations. Araki really likes his final bosses to have Time Fuckery as one of their abilities, I guess. This makes 3 Parts in a row.

loving with time is the ultimate power, in Araki's opinion. The biggest twist with it so far is when he gives a time power to someone who's only a minor villain.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I re-read the parts where Bruno fights against King Crimson, and whelp, that translation sucks rear end... No wonder everybody got confused - it's a confusing ability to begin with, and the explanation is pretty bad...

Actually, I think it's much easier to explane it with prediction. King Crimson has Epitaph, which always lets him see the next few seconds (something he can also extend to others, letting Doppio and Bruno see the future as well - although it beats me why he let Bruno do that...). And his main ability is to erase that predicted time: nobody remembers it, and he himself exists outside the prediction - everything predicted happens a 100%, but he can still do something different, and be the only King Crimson left afterwards. Nothing in the erased time affects him and he can't affect anything else - that's why it's such an ingenious loophole when he uses his own blood to blind people. So basically, it's the ultimate defense, and the key to defeating him is to trick him into setting himself up incorrectly: like when he thought Mista's bullets would kill, or where Bruno's attacks were coming from. Or I guess suddenly having an instant-kill ability that works on touch without your awareness. :v:

The most confusing parts seem to be Bruno seeing the future for a short while, and Narancia's death. The first could be Epitaph (again, no idea why Diavolo did that - just to troll Bruno or what?). And the second... well, it's extra confusing, since it seems to go against everything we know about King Crimson - that he can't do anything in erased time, he has to leave erased time first, but it looks like Narancia has already been killed, The World-style. Really does look like he just threw Narancia on the grate and then erased time so that nobody notices. Who knows - maybe, when we get an anime adaption, you'll actually see Giorno's body yanked offscreen just before the time skip happens.

It's funny how King Crimson is the ultimate defense in close quarters, but on a distance, it's basically just a confusion ray...

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

This is why I'm waiting for it to be properly translated before continuing on.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Sekkira posted:

This is why I'm waiting for it to be properly translated before continuing on.

My desire to start a second Duwang grows stronger every time I see such a comment.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Jeek posted:

My desire to start a second Duwang grows stronger every time I see such a comment.

It's not Duwang it's just poo poo. There's no funny lines it's just soulless words. I nearly quit reading it after White Album which was 5 chapters of "Ahh he is freezing everything! It's cold and frozen! The ice is coming inside!"

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

CJ posted:

It's not Duwang it's just poo poo. There's no funny lines it's just soulless words. I nearly quit reading it after White Album which was 5 chapters of "Ahh he is freezing everything! It's cold and frozen! The ice is coming inside!"

I know that. I was just saying that since I have access to the official Chinese translation of Part 5, I can theoretically pull a Duwang and make a half way decent translation, especially since the good one has stopped half way.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The good one is being actively worked on at quite an impressive speed.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Jeek posted:

I know that. I was just saying that since I have access to the official Chinese translation of Part 5, I can theoretically pull a Duwang and make a half way decent translation, especially since the good one has stopped half way.

two chapters of the new one came out last week

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

once again, considering how the anime people (person?) are being all weird about joseph, i have to genuinely wonder what their reaction to arc 4 will be given the whole josuke thing and also old(er) joseph. even with grandpa joseph doing his cool thing i'm sure people will still be complaining he's not swinging around like goddamn spiderman with hermit purple even though he's earned the title of literally the longest-living joestar.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

once again, considering how the anime people (person?) are being all weird about joseph, i have to genuinely wonder what their reaction to arc 4 will be given the whole josuke thing and also old(er) joseph. even with grandpa joseph doing his cool thing i'm sure people will still be complaining he's not swinging around like goddamn spiderman with hermit purple even though he's earned the title of literally the longest-living joestar.

Probably complain that he's still not the main character.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
You can't deny Joseph swinging around like Spider-Man while cradling the Invisible Baby in an arm would be the best thing ever, though.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm optimistic that Part 4 will dethrone BT for best part in anime fans' eyes, then we can ditch the preoccupation with Joseph. after a short detour through "what happened to my precious Joseph, he's senile!" territory.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"Why didn't Joseph cutting his wrist turn Shizuka into a vampire!?"

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

dogsicle posted:

i'm optimistic that Part 4 will dethrone BT for best part in anime fans' eyes, then we can ditch the preoccupation with Joseph. after a short detour through "what happened to my precious Joseph, he's senile!" territory.

i dunno there's a wacky charm that part 2 has, granted part 4 is basically It's Always Sunny In Morioh, but i think the change of format from a linear adventure with a goal and known villain from the first 3 parts to slice of life format with probably a lot of one off episodes will be pretty jarring to a lot of the viewers

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I suspect Part 4 will be the make it or break it point for most new fans.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if not arc 4 then vento aureo will cull the weak ones in terms of character designs

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think Part 4's probably gonna get a bit of a bad rep from Anime's because it makes Joseph into a cheating rear end in a top hat, but by the time Okuyasu rolls around, they'll be all aboard the hype train.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

minoru suzuki posted:

i dunno there's a wacky charm that part 2 has, granted part 4 is basically It's Always Sunny In Morioh, but i think the change of format from a linear adventure with a goal and known villain from the first 3 parts to slice of life format with probably a lot of one off episodes will be pretty jarring to a lot of the viewers

i'm probably too out of touch with reality wrt JoJo to have a reasonable opinion. :v:
i just feel like while the format may be an early stumbling block, the story and characters are so fun and full of heart that it'll endear people rather than put them off. and really it's not much different from Part 3. the stakes are arguably lower or situation-specific, as opposed to the series-wide "50 days to save Holly," but they have that same motw/"filler" nature.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

arc 4 is where the series hits Pure Jojo's and if an anime person can't handle that then they're probably not going to enjoy any of the rest of the series. i can already imagine some will complain that there's less outrageously muscled dudes later on even though that in the first place was only a product of the time when the series was made, so who knows.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
"The protagonist isn't Joseph."
"Too much filler."
"Why all the focus on Koichi?"
"The protagonist isn't Joseph."
"Aqua Necklace feels like a retread of Geb."
"What a dumb haircut."
"Misogyny."
"Why is Joseph senile?"
"Why is Joseph not the protagonist?"
"I miss hamon."
"Did Araki forget his own time travel subplot?"

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yukako got shunted off pretty quickly after she stopped being relevant, which is shameful. :(

at least a remix of her is in jojolion.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Oh god the complaining about Josuke not going 10 years back in time to save his own life will be legendary. I think people will stop complaining about Joseph not being the protaganist after a while because Josuke is very much his father's son.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Why can't Shining Gemstone fix Joseph's senility?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Diamond Experience