Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

gnome7 posted:

Hello friends! For the first time in a very long time, I've released a new dungeon world playbook that I actually wrote: The Spellsword. As usual, there is a free preview available in the product description, please check it out!

Yeah, uh, that free preview link isn't actually a link to anything.

EDIT: Never mind, it's been fixed now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Whoops! It should link to this: http://www.mediafire.com/view/7hwd5l3jmqbidrz/The_Spellsword_Preview.pdf

I have fixed the link on the DTRPG page too. Not sure why it broke, it worked in the preview before I launched the product just fine, but it works now.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Now all we need is a Dio and a Jotaro playbook. Wait is there anything remotely close to something like Jotaro? Seems like a psychic monk/fighter type of theme and that'd be cool.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I would like to play a Spellsword who uses the Sword-whip move to have a threaded cane from Bloodborne, please. Someone run a game so I can do that. Thank you.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Rayjenkins posted:

Now all we need is a Dio and a Jotaro playbook. Wait is there anything remotely close to something like Jotaro? Seems like a psychic monk/fighter type of theme and that'd be cool.

Clock mage has The World as an advanced move so multiclass a fighter or monk into that and you're set for Dio.

Jojo you could work out as some Paladin who uses his fists and bloody aegis.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

gnome7 posted:

Hello friends! For the first time in a very long time, I've released a new dungeon world playbook that I actually wrote: The Spellsword. As usual, there is a free preview available in the product description, please check it out!

I think I've now found my new favourite class. It's mechanically very simple and yet really evocative and cool. Awesome work Gnome7!

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Rayjenkins posted:

Jotaro can be done surprisingly well with a fighter who's signature weapon is Star Platinum (Close, Reach, versatile, huge) with some multiclass clock mage stuff.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Quick Hack and Slash question, since this is boggling folks: if you're looking at an exchange of damage on a 10+ with bonus damage (opening self to an attack) or 7-9 trading attacks (damage or otherwise) the groups I've been playing with have been rolling with a general mindset of 'player deals damage first, if that damage kills or takes out their opponent, they cancel the attack they'd otherwise be receiving.' It's since been pointed out that that seems a bit askew--so now we're uncertain. How -should- this be handled on the regular?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Dungeon World is dangerous-- it requires heroics to finish off a foe.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

GaistHeidegger posted:

Quick Hack and Slash question, since this is boggling folks: if you're looking at an exchange of damage on a 10+ with bonus damage (opening self to an attack) or 7-9 trading attacks (damage or otherwise) the groups I've been playing with have been rolling with a general mindset of 'player deals damage first, if that damage kills or takes out their opponent, they cancel the attack they'd otherwise be receiving.' It's since been pointed out that that seems a bit askew--so now we're uncertain. How -should- this be handled on the regular?

Generally trading damage in this case means it happens at the same time (or close enough) there's no avoiding the damage as a PC, maybe the enemy struck at exactly that same moment, maybe you catch an arrow from the enemy's buddy, maybe the enemy throws his weight on you as you stab him, and it puts you off balance, making you stumble into a sharp spike coming from the wall...the damage can be from whatever makes the most sense to you, but there's no getting around the fact that you're taking damage from something with this option.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Error 404 posted:

Generally trading damage in this case means it happens at the same time (or close enough) there's no avoiding the damage as a PC, maybe the enemy struck at exactly that same moment, maybe you catch an arrow from the enemy's buddy, maybe the enemy throws his weight on you as you stab him, and it puts you off balance, making you stumble into a sharp spike coming from the wall...the damage can be from whatever makes the most sense to you, but there's no getting around the fact that you're taking damage from something with this option.

That makes a lot more sense. Follow-up then--I have folks pretty regularly want to defy danger if the attack they're going to eat from Hack and Slash is not immediate / direct damage.

On the flipside, in the twosome game, the Outlander was basically never not taking the 10+'s bonus damage option because he can easily roll out 12 - 14 damage on an attack with that and was basically always obliterating enemies before they could attack him back. Huh.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, I wouldn't allow a defy danger roll to avoid the damage you elected to take as part of the hack and slash move. As you say, it becomes a no-brainer to choose that option if you introduce lots of ways to avoid the downside from it.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Hack & Slash isn't one attack, remember that, it's an engagement. If both take damage, you can narrate it as "you exchange a series of blows and parries back and forth until he kicks you in the kneecap, but you run him through when he tries to finish you off" or something. Combat is brutal and visceral, and that means your players probably won't go through a battle without getting tripped, kicked, cut, stabbed and smacked along the way. And the more you describe it as a struggle, the more dangerous your world feels, as if slipping up at any moment can spell doom.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Yeah, there's no getting out of the consequences of the text of a move. If Hack and Slash says you take damage, you do. The one exception is if it fictionally doesn't make any sense, the MC is allowed to overrule - this probably will only come up very rarely, however. It's not often that getting into a melee with an armed creature trying to kill you cannot result in you taking damage.

Always remember that "deal damage to someone" is one of your MC moves. You're allowed to straight-up just go "Okay, then take :rolldice: 6 damage" in response to something a player says, if they've handed you a golden opportunity. Your job, among other things, is to say what honesty demands. If you as MC know that the floor ahead is electrified and someone says they step onto it without checking, feel free to just zap them if you think it's appropriate. Dungeon World isn't a game of gotchas, though. You shouldn't punish people for not pixelbitching, and it's very reasonable to give people a heads up "Hey, Outlander, as you approach the next bit of tiles, there's a really weird smell in the air like ozone, and a faint hum is just about audible. What do you do?" or just be like "Dude, are you sure?" If the PCs are taking a beating, 'giving them an opportunity' or 'telling them the possible consequences and asking' are completely valid moves to make in the exact same circumstance. "Outlander, you're about to step onto the next tile and your foot is already coming down when you notice the charred skeleton lying ahead in the gloom. It's a trap of some sort! What do you do?" and then allowing a Defy Danger or something. Or "Outlander, you're moving on ahead when a faint hum and a smell of ozone alert you to the trap on the tiles in front of you because, you know, you're the Outlander. It's electrified or something. Touching the tiles ahead would be mondo bad news, even for you, but you might be able to find some stuff to walk on or jump it if you got a real run up. What do you do?" In circumstances where the PCs are doing really well, slaying monsters left right and centre, taking no damage, it's your job as MC to make the world dangerous. If they get cocky and say they're running around heedlessly, they probably get zapped. Or if they're in combat in that room and start running around without looking where they're going, maybe they deserve a Defy Danger Wisdom to notice the floor, maybe fictionally they don't.

It's a difficult balancing act as a Dungeon World MC to make the world dangerous without being a dick. The price we pay for a fiction first system that lets us do all these cool things is that it really is all on the MC to make the world consistent, dangerous and to be fair to both the world and the PCs. You can't be a pushover otherwise the game becomes a farce but at the same time the players have to trust that you're not out to get them. Make it clear to everyone that it's your job to say what honesty demands, even if they don't like it. Don't gloat, don't be like "well you should have looked where you were going." Ask questions. It's reasonable to go "Hey Dashing Hero, are you, like, actually looking where you're going?" and if they've gotten into the game and are talking as their characters, occasionally you'll hear "Me? I'm the Dashing Hero, of course I'm not looking where I'm going." instead of the obvious "Yes of course I am, what do I see?" and that feels good. It means they're invested. Doing things like letting players who have damage dice equal to the damage another player is about to take roll for it help to portray an image of openness and fairness. They know that you're so fair about dice rolls you're letting them roll it (and this diverts any ill will from a max damage roll onto the player who rolled it) and this will bleed over to other facets of the game. People who don't get Dungeon World talk about quantum ogres, where a failed perception roll will spawn an ogre to attack the party like a video game. In my mind, as long as that ogre appeared because the MC's prep, the circumstances the party are in and the consistency of the world says that, yeah, there probably are ogres about to attack the party then let that waveform collapse and ask the players what they do. As long as you're fair.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

GaistHeidegger posted:

That makes a lot more sense. Follow-up then--I have folks pretty regularly want to defy danger if the attack they're going to eat from Hack and Slash is not immediate / direct damage.

On the flipside, in the twosome game, the Outlander was basically never not taking the 10+'s bonus damage option because he can easily roll out 12 - 14 damage on an attack with that and was basically always obliterating enemies before they could attack him back. Huh.

In general, if a move the player does has a consequence, you can't just defy danger to get out of that consequence; that's making two moves for one action which is bad. That said, if your damage/consequence from the move has a delay in it, you should think of why they can't defy danger from it. Maybe there's falling rocks that are about to hit them- but dealing the extra damage means not having enough time to dodge out of the way. If they go "I leap out of the way!" then you tell them "if you leap out of the way, you won't be able to deal that extra damage." The damage from a Hack & Slash isn't blow-by-blow either, it's more like an after-action report when the attacks stop.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
So it's looking like our sessions are going to be a lot less combat-involved than I'd expected.

Does anyone have good suggestions for non-combat related classes for an initiate to snag stuff from? Thematically similar or that mesh well with the Initiate's kung fu abilities.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Handgun Phonics posted:

So it's looking like our sessions are going to be a lot less combat-involved than I'd expected.

Does anyone have good suggestions for non-combat related classes for an initiate to snag stuff from? Thematically similar or that mesh well with the Initiate's kung fu abilities.

The bard move (I think) that lets you read people in a similar way to discern realities (roll and ask 1-3 questions)

I think it would mesh well.
Also ability of lightness has great non combat utility to get around obstacles 'door's locked? Parkour your way up to a window on the next floor. Etc.'

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
If you have the Inverse world playbook, you could crib some stuff from the Lantern. That playbook has a lot of "wise sage" type things, which may fit your kung fu guy.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jun 21, 2015

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Error 404 posted:

The bard move (I think) that lets you read people in a similar way to discern realities (roll and ask 1-3 questions)

I think it would mesh well.
Also ability of lightness has great non combat utility to get around obstacles 'door's locked? Parkour your way up to a window on the next floor. Etc.'

Does ability of lightness generally cover going up walls? As its written it mostly just covers running along water/wires/maybe traps.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Handgun Phonics posted:

Does ability of lightness generally cover going up walls? As its written it mostly just covers running along water/wires/maybe traps.

As I read it, its about running on things that can't normally hold your weight (wushu running on treetops comes to mind)
I don't use it to just run up a wall, but usually narrate impossible handholds and leaps, like hooking a finger into a crack in the mortar between bricks. Or leaping back and forth up alley walls or other thematically appropriate impossible gymnastics.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Handgun Phonics posted:

I think the official reading on the ability is "walls are a surface that cannot support your weight; ergo, Ability of Lightness works".

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Error 404 posted:

As I read it, its about running on things that can't normally hold your weight (wushu running on treetops comes to mind)
I don't use it to just run up a wall, but usually narrate impossible handholds and leaps, like hooking a finger into a crack in the mortar between bricks. Or leaping back and forth up alley walls or other thematically appropriate impossible gymnastics.

gnome7 posted:

I think the official reading on the ability is "walls are a surface that cannot support your weight; ergo, Ability of Lightness works".

I'll check with the DM on that one then, I'd always kind of assumed it meant... things that might normally bend, break, or fall when you stood on them, rather than things you can't actually stand on.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Handgun Phonics posted:

I'll check with the DM on that one then, I'd always kind of assumed it meant... things that might normally bend, break, or fall when you stood on them, rather than things you can't actually stand on.

for what it's worth, I used the same thing on the ninja playbook, and it's -definitely- intended to apply to both water and walls there. Running straight up walls, and even fighting on them, is completely awesome, and anybody who scoffs at it is actually a bad person.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense. A wall can support your weight, it's just that you're standing in a way where it doesn't (i.e. it's not below you but next to you, and your weight is not pressed against it)

Of course, running up walls is cool and totally an initiate thing to do, so check with your GM. But I'd reserve that to a magical item or something. But if you allow running up walls then you should also allow the initiate to hang upside down a ceiling by his feet or something like that. So I'd understand if the GM says that's a tad too far.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
It's a monk class in Dungeon World, why on earth would it not be able to run up walls?

Olive Mohel
Nov 8, 2006

Life is more than a series of ones and zeroes.
Sorry if it's in the OP and I glossed over it, but I remember seeing sheets for the base classes reworked to have drives instead of alignment. Anyone happen to have a link handy?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Teonis posted:

This one maybe: https://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1417/10/1417108632783.pdf

All of these anti-PbtA threads are written by tools who don't understand narrative play. Oh, poo poo, theres no rule saying you can roll to do that, so you can't do that at all...

Like the part about parley, you need some leverage, so no, parleying a king is not the same as parleying a bum

I know we all moved past this silently and how that maybe for the best, but it amazes me how mad nerds can get over games that they, clearly, never played.

gnome7 posted:

Heh, that's funny. I saw this on DTRPG and thought you made it until I went "Nah, he hasn't worked on DW in a long time." Maybe I should have clicked on it. Cool class, btw.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
I tried searching the thread but couldn't find out - are a bunch of the character sheets wrong and stat of 12 is a +0 as per the book, or is it a +1 and there is errata I cannot find?

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Laphroaig posted:

I tried searching the thread but couldn't find out - are a bunch of the character sheets wrong and stat of 12 is a +0 as per the book, or is it a +1 and there is errata I cannot find?

It should be +0. You get a +2, 2 +1s, 2 +0s, and a -1 on your starting stats. There was a misprint in one playbook used as a template for others, I think.

EDIT: On the Spellsword's equipment, you have Mystical Armor (1 armor, 2 weight). Is that supposed to be twice the weight of standard 1-armor equipment for some reason? Is it supposed to have special effects beyond just giving armor?

Handgun Phonics fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 24, 2015

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Are there any PTBA games which I could use out-of-the-box to run a Jurassic Park or Resident Evil style scenario? Basically, modern heroes with monsters in it.

Edit: Never mind, my group decided to use Fate Accelerated out of the blue. I'm still interested in PTBA games that run well with pulpy modern action as a conceit, though.

Appoda fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 24, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Appoda posted:

Are there any PTBA games which I could use out-of-the-box to run a Jurassic Park or Resident Evil style scenario? Basically, modern heroes with monsters in it.

Apocalypse World and Monster of the Week come to mind.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Error 404 posted:

Apocalypse World and Monster of the Week come to mind.

I guess I finally need to look at Apocalypse World, but I was under the impression that it has a more serious, HBO series style. Monster of the Week sounds cool. Thanks for the suggestions.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Appoda posted:

I guess I finally need to look at Apocalypse World, but I was under the impression that it has a more serious, HBO series style. Monster of the Week sounds cool. Thanks for the suggestions.

It's hard to explain what it has... you'll have to make your own judgments really. Might work if you're not turned off by the sex moves. :downsrim:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So I wanted to ask people in both threads...

The general PbtA thread doesn't get much traffic anymore despite there being a lot of games using the engine now. And it seems like the Dungeon World thread has been slowing down a lot as well.

Do people think it might be a good idea to condense things into a general one-stop PbtA thread?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It gets my vote.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

So I wanted to ask people in both threads...

The general PbtA thread doesn't get much traffic anymore despite there being a lot of games using the engine now. And it seems like the Dungeon World thread has been slowing down a lot as well.

Do people think it might be a good idea to condense things into a general one-stop PbtA thread?

My only concern would be regarding the information post(s) on the first page, which is half the reason I check the thread. The one we have here occupies several pages by its lonesome, so it might get messy if you had several like it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Handgun Phonics posted:

My only concern would be regarding the information post(s) on the first page, which is half the reason I check the thread. The one we have here occupies several pages by its lonesome, so it might get messy if you had several like it.

I suppose that begs the question of what would be useful to put in an OP. Would an external wiki/spreadsheet thing be better at storing details like new playbooks/adventures/whatever, then have the OP be just a rundown of the various games?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I like most everything pbta, so a single thread would be great.

And if the op has to be several posts, well, let's do it.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Error 404 posted:

I like most everything pbta, so a single thread would be great.

And if the op has to be several posts, well, let's do it.

Yeah, just reserve a bunch of posts and split OP info between them. Reserve one for me please :wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Actually related to Dungeon World, whatever happened to the big supplement that had rules for large scale battles, armies, and advancement beyond level 10?

Edit: Yeah, just checked and the last update where things were "only a few weeks away" was September 2, 2014, almost a year ago. What the gently caress.

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 25, 2015