Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The Rescue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
that one where tom cruise is firing an m60 machine gun at a bunch of national guard from the window of a private military academy and then an m60 tank fires an he round into the room and blows him the gently caress up

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

that one where tom cruise is firing an m60 machine gun at a bunch of national guard from the window of a private military academy and then an m60 tank fires an he round into the room and blows him the gently caress up
Any movie that features Tom Cruise getting blown the gently caress up must be a good movie.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
my bad he just gets dusted by the .50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppMQ2Jvekfg

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

Taps?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083169/

tyler fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 21, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Tank

Edit: Major Payne

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Two Finger posted:

what are the gip approved war films
Three Kings
The Last Detail
Threads

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

das boot (uncut version, naturally)
Given earlier conversation re:anteater dick, I'm not sure GiP approves the uncut version of anything.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

hahaha why am i not surprised that a lot of these are nuclear holocaust films

i would say on the beach but to be honest it loving sucked, which is balls because i really liked the book

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Godholio posted:

Major Payne

8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011

Mike-o posted:

I'll probably get poo poo for it, but I always liked Black Hawk Down. Old 1SG of mine knew CPT (Now COL I think) Stryker, said he was pissed off that they portrayed him as this idiot rear end in a top hat. I can't confirm if it's true or not since it's third hand, so I'll just assume my 1SG was full of poo poo because all nobles must hang.

Struecker was an NCO during Mogadishu but later became a chaplain. He was the chaplain for 4th batt(or one of the parts of ranger school) when I was in. I saw him a few times but never talked to him though I heard he was a pretty cool guy.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I don't know why I didn't look it up first, I meant CPT Steele, not stryker.

Edit:
I read some more about him and now I know why my old 1SG knew him. Steele was brigade commander for the 3rd brigade 101st rakkasans. That dude would never shut the gently caress up about the loving rakkasans.

Mike-o fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 21, 2015

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

From Skippy's list: "211. Don’t ask LTC Steele to sign my copy of Blackhawk Down."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Mister Roberts
Caine Mutiny

All you need to know about Naval officer life right there.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I work with a guy that was on the team that extracted Noriega back in the day, and another guy that he works with is the SGM from the Blackhawk Down incident. They have way better stories than anybody else I've worked with.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I used to know a guy who claimed to be a green beret and was on the carrier during Mogadishu. Also one of his green beret friends and a SEAL got in an argument over who was more badass so they took it outside and both ended up unconscious in the hospital so it didn't get solved. :allears:

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

not caring here posted:

And Burn After Reading if you count spy stuff as military.

Burn After Reading is a goddamn great movie, but there are like 10x more good spy movies than good war movies. This would go on for ages.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Mister Roberts
Caine Mutiny

All you need to know about Naval officer life right there.

I think you forgot to include "Seamen at Attention 6: Gettin' Underway" on that list.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Zulu and Breaker Morant.

Or just save some time and watch the best scenes from both:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-lDY02DThk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj8N8Nvv6ys

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
lost a toenail while hiking, time for new boots I guess

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
That HBO movie about the Bradley with Kelsey Grammar

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Private benjamin

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Ogrel72 posted:

That HBO movie about the Bradley with Kelsey Grammar

Pentagon Wars

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Victor Vermis posted:

Zulu and Breaker Morant.

Or just save some time and watch the best scenes from both:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-lDY02DThk

Totally random but they used some old rear end recordings of Zulu war chants and the director of gladiator liked that movie a lot so it's in this scene at about 3:00

http://youtu.be/0ZghMKa4jGo

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Richard Schiff is great in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

cheers guys that should scratch my war film itch for a while
been a hell of a long time since i watched platoon, i remember it being absolutely excellent

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

barnes is that real hero of platoon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTyJ3QruoaM

and shim's favorite part of FMJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea2qb5qTeQI

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Two Finger posted:

cheers guys that should scratch my war film itch for a while
been a hell of a long time since i watched platoon, i remember it being absolutely excellent

When you're done with or want a quick break from truth-based fiction or fiction, look up "Jeremy Clarkson War Stories" and watch every single second.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

legit thought this was going to be the guy smashing the villager's head in with his gun

Duzzy Funlop posted:

When you're done with or want a quick break from truth-based fiction or fiction, look up "Jeremy Clarkson War Stories" and watch every single second.

I've seen it already, and yes, it was absolutely incredible. I had read about Operation Chariot as a kid and it always stuck in my mind, so it was great to see a special about it, and the entire Victoria Cross segment was excellent.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
A Bridge Too Far

Its got Sean Connery, Ryan O'Neal, Gene Hackman, Michael Caine, Anthony Hopkins, James Caan, Elliot Gould, Ben Cross, Laurence Olivier, Robert Redford and more.

It even has John Ratzenburger is a small role and Richard Attenborough played an uncredited role as "Lunatic with glasses"

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Reign Of Pain posted:

A Bridge Too Far

Its got Sean Connery, Ryan O'Neal, Gene Hackman, Michael Caine, Anthony Hopkins, James Caan, Elliot Gould, Ben Cross, Laurence Olivier, Robert Redford and more.

It even has John Ratzenburger is a small role and Richard Attenborough played an uncredited role as "Lunatic with glasses"

A Bridge Too Far is probably the most legit war movie out there. They hit it out of the park there with casting.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

krispykremessuck posted:

lost a toenail while hiking, time for new boots I guess

clipped at 6900ft

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

I was wrong about that it was 6988 feet

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

Two Finger posted:

legit thought this was going to be the guy smashing the villager's head in with his gun

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Just saw this was on youtube and killed a couple of hours. Neat stuff.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Since this is dad chat, don't forget to call your dads you loving animals. Dad loves you. He wants to talk gardens with you.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I'm a bastard.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Tropic Thunder count as a war flick? because if so you're all forgetting the single best comedy post 2000

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I got my Dad image stabilized binos and I want to get him a revolver for bears but he lives in California ;(

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Equine Don posted:

I got my Dad image stabilized binos and I want to get him a revolver for bears but he lives in California ;(

What does your dad have against n4i's husband

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

My dad goes to WalMart and buys $3 war movies and despite how terrible they are, he loves them because he "got such a good deal."

• Locked thread