Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

Stoca Zola posted:

Just counted seven new baby feral guppies! That's enough for me, I've put the mother back in the main tank and if she births any more they can be subject to natural selection. I remember having to feed the last lot of fry fairly often, but off the top of my head I don't think I need to feed them straight away? I can't remember. Well, it's probably too cold right now to hatch them any brine shrimp for food so I hope they like hikari first bites and ground up pellets. Looks like there are still plenty of vinegar eels too which they might find palatable. I'll drop some of those in first since they'll stay wiggling for a while yet.

Pictures of this would be awesome! It'd be interesting to see fry/your qt setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

All my tanks are home and doing tank stuff. Hopefully things work out okay :ohdear:

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
Finally got my shrimp in the mail today. Shots of tank as promised. They are really deep red, and they survived even after 4 days in transit so I'm impressed.

They seem to be doing well, they swarmed the algae tab that I dropped in.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

McStephenson posted:

Pictures of this would be awesome! It'd be interesting to see fry/your qt setup.

Previously when I had a fish with an open wound I used a completely different tank as the hospital tank, did daily water changes due to not having a spare filter and not wanting to contaminate things with medication etc. This time I did it differently as it didn't seem as dire.

For the wonky tetra and the pregnant guppy I used this 2 litre "satellite" breeder box hanging from my main tank. Normally I'd hang it from the feeding slot in the hood but I got it a bit wrong when I was transfering the mother guppy in and now that there are tiny fry inside I don't want to disturb them by moving it. Anyway at least I can still easily open the hood to do maintenance on the main tank. The box has got an airlift pump on the left which burbles a small amount of water into the box, which then cycles around and goes through a grille down a spout back into the tank on the right side. I've wedged a bit of sponge into the spout in case any of the guppies try posting themselves through the grille. The lid is removable and there are dividers which can be put in either the 1/3, 1/2 or 2/3 position but I didn't bother with them. I like this style better than the floating internal breeder box since you get guaranteed circulation, its nice and big, and its quite secure - my sister lost every single one of her zebra danio fry when a white cloud leapt into the floating breeder box she had and gobbled them up.

Since I'm planning to grow the guppies up a bit bigger in this box before I put them in the Fluval Spec, I've put some floating giant duckweed, a bit of hornwart and some scrappy bits of dried leaves to give them some cover. I've recounted the fry and I'm pretty sure there's 9, maybe more. They do seem to appreciate the cover! You can see two blobs to the upper right in the box, thats two of the fry. They seem to be accepting the first bites powder food today and I can't see any of the vinegar eels that I've dropped in either so I think they're eating those too. I know you can't feed fry 100% vinegar eels though, they aren't nutritionally complete but because they wiggle so much they trigger instinctive feeding behaviour.

And here is a 1 day old guppy. In comparison to the rosy barb fry I've raised, guppies are born almost completely independent and functional. Rosy barb fry were so much smaller and unformed, little blobs that needed greenwater and infusoria and took weeks and weeks to get as big as this guppy.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My Fluval HOB filter was making an awful racket. Go to check it, and turns out the shaft for the impeller has sheered off at the bottom :suicide: Don't think I can get a replacement for that any faster than I can get an entirely new filter so I guess it's time to try that Sunsun canister.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

A sad day for guppies - the scrawny female from my first batch of fry seems to be showing the characteristic danglings of camallanus worms. I'm guessing the mother guppies might have been carriers or perhaps some of the ostracods/copepods that I failed to rinse off my latest batch of plants may have been secondary hosts. I've started the whole Fluval spec on the only wormer I had, praziquantel, but after doing a bit of reading I don't think it's supposed to be that effective for camallanus. Levamisole has a good reputation, cheap, soluble, and available widely as a sheep/cow/pig/bird wormer and effective at 2ppm in tank water while being harmless to fish, filter and inverts so I'm buying some tablets (Avitrol Plus). I'm assuming every single other tank could be affected and I'm going to treat accordingly and soak all my nets too. This guppy is so small that the worms are visible, I'm assuming they are in the other fish who are big enough that worms aren't showing yet. Supposedly these worms grow slowly enough that you can quarantine for weeks without seeing signs so I really don't know who the original host may have been.

The praziquantel might be doing something as the female guppy looks downright miserable at the moment, if she starts passing dead worms she'll at least have a chance to heal I hope. But she's still pretty small so she might get blocked up, in the quick amount of reading I've done I've heard of fish dying from the dead worms blocking them and decaying internally. Ugh. Fingers crossed she will pull through but if she dies she will die a hero, having provided indication that something is wrong that may save the lives of the rest of the fish.

How to prevent this from happening in the future? I might start prophylactically treating any new fish with Levamisol from now on since these worms can be undetectable in quarantine, and this would clean off any flukes and other pests too. I don't trust a single fish vendor at the moment and I'm just going to have to assume the worst when buying new fish.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Those loving worms. Kill them with fire.

So I had two major fuckups yesterday. I had three holding yellow labs; one had been holding for a while, so I stripped her, and found a mouthful of unfertilized eggs. She was just happily brooding the slugs. So I fed those out to the other fish and put her back in the main tank. I decided to strip the second one, and....yes she had fry. No, they weren't ready to come out and they all died. Awesome. And because I was an idiot, I stripped the last one and again, fry, too early, all dead. I killed probably 30 yellow labs yesterday.

And then I noticed this morning, after draining down some tanks and hooking up the water change hose to my tote (the water comes out of the tap at 90 or so now, so I fill 30 gallon garbage totes and let them sit overnight, by then the temp of the water is closer to 80 and can be used) when I saw the powerhead wasn't working. Looks like a fish got into the tote, was sucked in, and died, leaving 30 gallons of dead fish water that I had to use. I cleaned out the powerhead and Primed the poo poo of out if, and Primed the tanks too, and now am waiting, fingers crossed, that I didn't kill two tanks with dead fish water.

And earlier this week my zebra tank heater poo poo out. They need 82* water and right now it's 77. Yay.

On the small plus side, my main dad blue eyed bristlenose has been chilling on eggs and fry, so I removed them today. And his adult son also had a group of fry ready to go, so their Father's Day gifts were getting out of their drat caves to eat!

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Stoca Zola posted:

How to prevent this from happening in the future? I might start prophylactically treating any new fish with Levamisol from now on since these worms can be undetectable in quarantine, and this would clean off any flukes and other pests too. I don't trust a single fish vendor at the moment and I'm just going to have to assume the worst when buying new fish.
Welcome to the nightmare.

I've seen claims that praziquantel works, but one of those claims came from the supplier with the camallanus infestation that continued for years afterwards, and in my own personal experience it doesn't do poo poo gently caress. I had success using Safe-guard dog dewormer granules (fenbendazole) mixed with with food, and a shitton of water changes. Keep in mind that anything that works on camallanus is pretty good at nuking all other invertebrates too.

Exposed worms means eggs are absolutely in the water, and if you've used equipment between tanks while its still wet, well... yeah.

The worst thing is how easily the fuckers spread unnoticed, and who knows what the hell is going on at each stage of the fish supply that might be spreading them around. Your plan to treat all new fish in quarantine is probably the best bet now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

David Bowie in his new tank. He's got a little nerite crawling around in there somewhere he just got added today with the java fern. The pantyhose has some gravel from the old tank in it. I read that's how you can help kickstart the bacteria.

Edit: Don't want to double post but can I use a Heroclix figure as a decoration? I think it would be sweet to have a little Pacific Rim fight going on down in the tank.

Len fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 21, 2015

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball

Anybody know what these fish are? The store I got them from had them labeled "Emerald dwarf rasbora" and, being bright green and know what the other two species in the tank with them were(harlequin rasbora and i think some kind of tetra) it was pretty reasonable to assume that's what they were! They were pretty sharp compared to the ember tetras in the other tank, and since I already have sparrows rasboras in my 5 gallon I figured a different color would be cool.

Anyway, I google searched their name today and... came up with these:

And absolutely zero pictures of the fish that I bought. In fact, I can't really find anything about them at all, since I'm not sure if they're even a rasbora. I thought briefly maybe they were green neons, but they have no colorful line down the middle. They're just straight green with red tails.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

aerialsilks posted:

Anybody know what these fish are? The store I got them from had them labeled "Emerald dwarf rasbora" and, being bright green and know what the other two species in the tank with them were(harlequin rasbora and i think some kind of tetra) it was pretty reasonable to assume that's what they were! They were pretty sharp compared to the ember tetras in the other tank, and since I already have sparrows rasboras in my 5 gallon I figured a different color would be cool.

Anyway, I google searched their name today and... came up with these:

And absolutely zero pictures of the fish that I bought. In fact, I can't really find anything about them at all, since I'm not sure if they're even a rasbora. I thought briefly maybe they were green neons, but they have no colorful line down the middle. They're just straight green with red tails.

Maybe a green fire tetra? I did a little googling and those look the closest to me

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Try emerald eyed rasbora?

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball

Pipistrelle posted:

Maybe a green fire tetra? I did a little googling and those look the closest to me

Definitely this, thanks. Never even heard of those before.

I transferred them into my 30gal with the neons(who they're schooling with) and blue rams instead. I might go back for those ember tetras at some point for the 5 or see if they have something new there.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

aerialsilks posted:

Definitely this, thanks. Never even heard of those before.

I transferred them into my 30gal with the neons(who they're schooling with) and blue rams instead. I might go back for those ember tetras at some point for the 5 or see if they have something new there.

I've never heard of them either but they're really cool looking! I may look for some when I start my tank up again

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Does anyone here run a freshwater sump?

Years ago I ran a canister filter on a 55 gallon I had that worked pretty well. I'm wanting to get back into the hobby and have my eye on a specific 65 gallon reef-ready aquarium which happens to have pre-drilled holes in the corner to run a sump since it's intended as a marine tank. Looking around apparently freshwater sumps are cool and rad and I'm just wondering if anyone here has any first-hand experience with them.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I've spotted more worms in my beacon tetras in my main tank, and I know I treated the four newest ones with prazi when they first got here. So either prazi doesn't work, or the guppies gave worms to them more recently, or the original beacon tetra might have had worms, or the infested plants theory could still apply since I didn't medicate those. I read up on the lifecycle to see if the worms die out in a fish less tank like some parasites but no such luck. The tank I had cycling with old tank water is full of Copepods which no doubt are carrying larval worms; even without a secondary host the worms can spread from fish to fish using a different larval stage. It's definitely going to be a case of nuke all tanks once I get my hands on this wormer. No idea how the rosy barbs aren't showing signs of worms, they eat anything that moves, constantly scour the bottom of the tank for scraps, and taste every poop they see in case it's food. I would have thought they'd be riddled with worms way sooner than any other fish - well, maybe they are riddled and it just isn't showing yet.

The initial wormy guppy looks even more miserable today. I was sure she was dead but she swam off pretty nimbly when I tried to scoop her out so I'm hoping she's resting, not dying. She isn't showing visible damage near her vent but could be blocked up still. I've put mashed pea and brine shrimp (also mashed) in, in case she eats. She's resting on the bottom most of the time but didn't seem completely disinterested in picking at food once I got her moving so who knows. Her colour isn't bad, maybe slightly stress darkened, but not sick pale, and her breathing certainly isn't laboured, still I wouldn't be shocked if she was dead by morning. Her three male tankmates are showing no ill effects at all, not seeing any worms or any effect from the medication. I'm going to redose their tank even thought they've had some already, Levamisole won't react badly with praziquantel since they're bundled together and the extra prazi won't be enough to overdose.

Cross fingers that levamisole will do the trick, my last resort after that would be fenbendazole but that poo poo is apparently a lot nastier than either of the other wormers with a therapeutic level that is much closer to a toxic level, and it might not be worth it. By that stage it might be kinder to euthanise the weaker fish than subject them to more chemicals. But, we'll see, it might work out okay. I'm feeling a lot more confident about this than when I couldn't keep my shop-bought rosy barbs alive, the buttworms are unmistakable, the treatments are well known and documented, and most of the fish are not showing symptoms at all which means it might be early enough for them to make a full recovery. I'm really glad I held off getting any cories since treating this with cories around would have been a lot more complicated, not sure whether they would handle the medication at all.

On a different topic, for new shrimp owners I would recommend a shrimp feeding dish to make it easier to remove uneaten food. I trapped and removed easily 40 planarian worms from my shrimp community a couple of days ago and I regret not using a feeding dish sooner! I'm sure I saw half a baby shrimp hanging out a big worms mouth (which is in the middle of the worm). I'm not against planarians as part of a balanced clean up crew but it was getting ridiculous, hard to judge over feeding without seeing what's left in a feeding dish.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Here is an interesting article about using fenbendazole in a shrimp tank to kill hydra and planaria.

http://www.planetinverts.com/killing_planaria_and_hydra.html

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Does anyone here run a freshwater sump?

Years ago I ran a canister filter on a 55 gallon I had that worked pretty well. I'm wanting to get back into the hobby and have my eye on a specific 65 gallon reef-ready aquarium which happens to have pre-drilled holes in the corner to run a sump since it's intended as a marine tank. Looking around apparently freshwater sumps are cool and rad and I'm just wondering if anyone here has any first-hand experience with them.

I run sumps on 3 of my FW tanks, they are indeed the poo poo. What questions did you have about them?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

So Possum, the betta that I have had for a yearish, has fin rot again. The first time was out of the store, and his fins never grew back in completely, but they grew out about 90% of the way.

My water parameters are good, and he's gotten to the point where he's lazing around and won't swim at all except for food, and the rot is near his body. None of the treatments are working. I'm going to go pick up some clove oil tonight and feed him his final meal of however much brine shrimp he can eat.

I'll miss you buddy :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

So I have a question for you guys who know way more about tanks than I do. The girlfriend has been watching me work on the guppy tank at work since before we started dating and now that it's been almost a year of watching she's starting to want a tank of her own. So i'm thinking about for either her birthday or our 1 year anniversary getting her a little ten gallon tank for Glofish (that's what she wants) and I have some questions about that.

It looks like black lights make them pop which is cool but can you have a planted tank and black lights?
Instead of having a backdrop could I paint the back of the tank black with glow in the dark stripes to provide some more color?
Is this a bad idea?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It was a bad idea as soon as glofish entered the question. :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

SynthOrange posted:

It was a bad idea as soon as glofish entered the question. :(

Are those bad?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sorry I was getting painted fish and glofish mixed up. I'm still unsure about a fish engineered to be more appealing as a novelty pet though but they shouldnt have any more health problems than usual.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

SynthOrange posted:

Sorry I was getting painted fish and glofish mixed up. I'm still unsure about a fish engineered to be more appealing as a novelty pet though but they shouldnt have any more health problems than usual.

Ah okay. Yeah she really likes the look of the glofish because she's a dirty hippie and thinks blacklight things are cool. I'm all down for getting her a tank as a present because then it gives me another to work on. This hobby is a bit contagious.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

SynthOrange posted:

Honestly breeding glofish is no different than a zebra danio at this point. The genes are there and there's no other alterations besides letting them spawn. They were actually created with a pretty novel purpose in that they weren't originally intended to be pets, they were to be used to detect pollution.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Enos Cabell posted:

I run sumps on 3 of my FW tanks, they are indeed the poo poo. What questions did you have about them?

The place I have in mind for this tank means it will be in the living room. I realize the pump choice and type has the most to do with it, but how loud are they? Did you make your own sump tanks or purchase them? What size should my sump be on a 65 gallon tank?

Thanks!

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

Len posted:

It looks like black lights make them pop which is cool but can you have a planted tank and black lights?
Instead of having a backdrop could I paint the back of the tank black with glow in the dark stripes to provide some more color?
Is this a bad idea?

1. No, black lights or blue leds/actinic blue fluorescents won't allow the plants to photosynthesize.
2. Paint on the outside, sure, go ahead.
3. Nah, glo danios are pretty cool. I had a few green/orange/red ones mixed in with my blue/leopard/gold zebra school since he t5 fixture I have has blue led spotlights on it. Glow skirt tetras are pretty boring since they don't do much but are also acceptable, but just avoid the glow tiger barbs(which look really loving cool) unless you want to do a 20-30 gallon instead since they need a big school to not be almighty assholes and rip each others' faces open.

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Honestly breeding glofish is no different than a zebra danio at this point. The genes are there and there's no other alterations besides letting them spawn. They were actually created with a pretty novel purpose in that they weren't originally intended to be pets, they were to be used to detect pollution.

Apparently they're banned in Canada, California, and Europe though.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Yeah, but that's just because in those countries (not California, Cali is just weird), any genetically modified organism must be tested by the government no matter how trivial the modification.

They haven't bothered with the required testing since pretty colored fish aren't considered all that important when you've got thousands of strains of food and livestock to intensively test that actually affect people.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

KakerMix posted:

The place I have in mind for this tank means it will be in the living room. I realize the pump choice and type has the most to do with it, but how loud are they? Did you make your own sump tanks or purchase them? What size should my sump be on a 65 gallon tank?

Thanks!

Your pump will actually have a lot less to do with the noise than the type of overflow that is used. I have four tanks with sumps, two are standard factory-drilled (one drain line and one return line), one uses a HOB overflow box, and the only one I would consider silent is my sw tank with a herbie style overflow. None of the tanks are overly loud, but there is a constant sound of falling water that is essentially white noise in the house. Herbie style really surprised me with how quiet it is.

You should read up on it a bit here http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/

It's easiest if you are able to find a tank pre-drilled with 3 holes, but it's trivial to convert a standard 2 hole setup to a herbie. I'm planning to do just that the next time one of my other tanks needs to be torn down.

I made most of my sumps, it's pretty easy to do. On a 65g I'd aim for a 20g long tank for the sump.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I had a dream that I had fish. I couldn't find anywhere to put them, so I put them in a vase. Then they started fighting and I had to separate them. I wonder what this fish dream symbolizes

Pistoph
Jul 4, 2014

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

I had a dream that I had fish. I couldn't find anywhere to put them, so I put them in a vase. Then they started fighting and I had to separate them. I wonder what this fish dream symbolizes
More tanks. It obviously means you need more tanks.

Len posted:

Is this a bad idea?
Ten gallons aren't terribly expensive, but you might consider painting a piece of posterboard or buying a blacklight poster (like this!) for a less permanent background solution.
For lighting, I'd suggest setting it up with two different lights if you want a planted tank. Full-spectrum for your plants and blacklight when you want to show off the fish. This one looks like it would fit a 10 gallon hood.
I love the idea of a blacklight tank and may make one myself one day. They have some non-cheesy decor options like gravel that would look awesome in black sand.

In other news, my brown algae seems to be back under control (knock on wood). After a major water change with a bunch of toothbrush scrubbing (the water was super brown from the displaced algae, poor fish), it's growing back super slowly.

I LOVE water wisteria. It's nearly impossible to kill and when it sheds leaves, those leaves will grow roots just floating in the water column. It looks completely different depending on how much light it gets. On the front right is a maturing stalk I bought from LFS that is obviously enjoying my lighting setup. They get that lacy look in high light. On the left, in front of the log, is a little plantlet that grew from a detached leaf from the first plant. They have round leaves in low light.

So my question is, what plants do you guys have in your tanks and what are your favorite kinds? Where are the best places to buy aquatic plants?

Pistoph fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jun 24, 2015

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Ugh.

I did a ~35% water change and while the danio are derping out and don't seem effected, my dwarf gourami Huey Lewis is breathing about two times a second.

I conditioned my water, but is there a chance that chlorine or chloramines got in my tank and are suffocating the fish?

I took some of the water out to get some aeration from my filter, is there anything else I should do? Should I put a little more conditioner in the tank or in the filter?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Gourami wouldn't need extra aeration, they've got labyrinth organs unless I'm mistaken (fish lungs). I'd be more suspicious of maybe the air is too dry due to no lid on your tank, something nasty like melafix or aloe Vera in the conditioner or something in the air could have got into the labyrinth organ and damaged/gunked it up, could be stress or something. What's the definition of a derping danio? If they're darting about they could be distressed too. If you aren't letting your change water stand overnight with water conditioner in it there could possibly be an issue in the water especially if everything was fine before the water change. Can't hurt to add some more, maybe to the tank where the water comes in from the filter since it should mix nicely there? But not if your conditioner has extra gunk that it doesn't need since that could be what's upsetting Huey. Need more information really. But off the top of my head I think a distressed gourami would want less flow not more, maybe if you don't have a hood on your tank you could put some plastic wrap over most of it to make sure that air right near the surface is nice and humid. Can you think of anything that was sprayed recently, deodorant, cleaning spray etc that could have got in your tank? Has your local weather been windy or different since I believe they dose water differently based on conditions that affect the reservoir ie more stuff to keep it clear in windy weather requires more water conditioner to make it safe for fish.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Do you guys ever have suction cups fail? After I made the poor decision to bleach my turtle tank I have a few suction cups that just don't work anymore. The weird thing is that for example on my heater, there are two suction cups, one works and the other doesn't. They don't work in different places in the tank either so I don't think it's the glass. Did the bleach break down the material of the cups or something?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

New silicone suction cups do get gungy, there's some kind of bacterial bloom that thrives on the otherwise harmless chemicals that leach out of brand new silicone so it could just be they need a good wipe with dry paper towel to get a clean suction surface back. Same goes for your glass, it could have an invisible slime layer which isn't helping you get good suction. Old rubber cups get brittle and fail too. And some suction cups just aren't made well, wonky out of the mold, that or not rigid enough to hold a good grip vs whatever weight they're required to support.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ones made from poor quality and material will fail faster. Silicone ones are pretty long lasting but all can fail if the seal isnt tight. Clean off the cups with soap and a scrub and let them sit for awhile to get their cup shape back before reusing. Also scrub where you're trying to attach them to in case the surface has buildups.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
And if you ever reach the point where you don't want to look at another suction cup, magnetic clips.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I just moved all my tanks from work to home last week and they got all new water put in them. Do I need to do a water change this week or am I good?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I'd still do a little change, make weekly water changes part of your routine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Levamisole trip report: 2 hours in to dosing 20mg/10lt to a theraputic level of 2 parts per million
None of my rosy barbs are showing any effect apart from swimming around like manaics slightly more than usual and pooping little green logs from the duckweed they've been eating.
One of the female guppies had been pale and hanging near the bottom for a couple of days but she seems to have perked up after treatment, I can see a single worm from her vent but not either of the other female guppies.
The male guppies don't sit still long enough to see anything so who knows?
All of my beacon tetras have trailing dying worms even in fish where nothing was visible prior. Possibly the original culprits as they are showing the most advanced infestations? I've had them since mid-March so if they were the source I would have thought I'd be seeing more sick fish by now but there isn't a lot of info around on how fast these infestations develop. Mostly it has been just them and the rosy barbs so if rosy barbs are camallanus resistant it might explain why I didn't see anything until the guppies arrived.

In the guppy grow tank, the three male guppies seem unaffected and unconcerned. The small female who started this all was still alive at the start of treatment, limp but no worse, no better than previous days. Currently I can't find her at all and I wonder if she's gone to hide somewhere to die. But again, thats no different from the previous few days, she completely vanishes somehow in a sparsely planted 5 gallon tank and I don't see her unless she wants me to.

I haven't done the penguin tetras yet; I might wait a little until I get the new fish I'd planned to get then dose them all at once. I have trouble believing they'd be spared considering the big infested tank was my source for material to help cycle the filters.

Fake edit: got distracted, didn't post, 1 hour later the beacons have dropped most of their worms, no changes in any of the other fish, still can't find the sick little female. The snails do not seem to care at all (pond, MTS, ramshorn all happy). I can't spot any planaria so perhaps it has killed them off. Currently debating whether to treat the shrimp tanks, some guy apparently treated a tank without losing any of his bamboo shrimp. But my shrimp are not bamboo shrimp.

Speaking of shrimp, I've moved the two surviving adult rednose shrimp across to their own higher-flow tank. Due to a complete lack of reading comprehension, I mistakenly bought a hang-on filter suitable for up to 150lt sized tank, not 150lt/hr like I thought it was. It's adjustable right down to a trickle from 650lt/hr so it was possible to get a reasonable flow, and it did fit (barely) on the end of the tank, so now there is a nice waterfall effect going on that doesn't stir things up too much. I nearly lost the first shrimp I transfered as he jumped a foot straight up in the air out of the net; fortunately he landed safely back in the net. I don't know what I expected trying to move him but it certainly wasn't that. As soon as both shrimp got in the water they both oriented themselves nose first against the flow and started happily scraping away at the leaf litter, I guess the pointy nose isn't just for show after all. I do think they look happier, they're doing shrimpy things like grazing instead of restlessly swimming laps like they did in the other tank.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 24, 2015