Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

njsykora posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIoSS4kLoGs

I uploaded a clip that sums up one race.

Okay I'm convinced: the Ford MkIV is GARBAGE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!

Goetta posted:

My favorite part was the first place car crossing the finish line then the AI taking over and sitting there doing donuts for a full minute because even the loving AI can't drive that car.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=464185471

Notice the tire tracks

I think it was damage-related somehow, because I aimed my car to cross the finish line directly into the left wall, and it bounced off and started doing that.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Yeah I really don't like the MKIV. It has no redemptive qualities.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It looks cool

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Gonna set perfect hot laps in it and taunt you fuckers with replays!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Hello Spaceman posted:

Gonna set perfect hot laps in it and taunt you fuckers with replays!

It's not that I can't drive it. But almost every other car in the game is more fun to drive.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Lotus 78 on the ring with h pattern and clutch is driving nirvana.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Is that the turbo Lotus? Because I can't keep that thing in a straight line. The turbo comes on right at the top, and then I'm straight off the course. Takes a hell of a feather-foot.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

LiquidRain posted:

Is that the turbo Lotus? Because I can't keep that thing in a straight line. The turbo comes on right at the top, and then I'm straight off the course. Takes a hell of a feather-foot.

no that's the 98t, the 78 is the best car in the game :colbert:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Turn the boost down if you can't handle the awesome of the 98T.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I have yet to find a Lotus car in any racing game, sim or otherwise that wasn't ridiculous fun to drive.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Elise/Exige platform can be a bit of a headache, they're fine when everything is under control but as soon as you break the back tires free the short wheelbase means you're gonna be doing 360's for a while.

It makes them very tense to drive, you can't enjoy it when it's good because you're always waiting for it to kick you in the crotch.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
$30 on Steam right now FYI

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Bought. Gonna be nice to drive cars that don't behave like they're all on overinflated runflats.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
What games are you people playing? rFactor2 I would agree has a bit too much grease on the tires, but AC, Raceroom, SCE - they all have tons of grip?

Edit:

Norns posted:

Yeah I really don't like the MKIV. It has no redemptive qualities.

Also this.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 19, 2015

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
Just want to say gently caress that tree at Snetterton. It puts me off every single time and I miss my braking point.

brb gonna go chop down a tree

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Poison Jam posted:

Just want to say gently caress that tree at Snetterton. It puts me off every single time and I miss my braking point.

brb gonna go chop down a tree

All hail scary tree.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Gokarts in the ring are fun as poo poo.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Just got this game, wondering if anyone can explain why the Renault Megane jumps to redline before reaching top speed for that gear? I don't hear any wheelspin, it just flies to redline with any firm acceleration.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Been playing Eurotruck with a gamepad, trackir and a set of flight pedals I setup to work as gas/brake and its making me curious about trying some racing sims. Noticed this is on steam sale and I'm wondering if I can play acceptably like that, or should I just hold off until I (possibly) jump on getting a G27 someday?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jarmak posted:

Been playing Eurotruck with a gamepad, trackir and a set of flight pedals I setup to work as gas/brake and its making me curious about trying some racing sims. Noticed this is on steam sale and I'm wondering if I can play acceptably like that, or should I just hold off until I (possibly) jump on getting a G27 someday?

If you want a G27 you'll want to get one before they retire if for their stupidly overpriced replacement.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It is totally playable on a gamepad

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

GOD IS BED posted:

Just got this game, wondering if anyone can explain why the Renault Megane jumps to redline before reaching top speed for that gear? I don't hear any wheelspin, it just flies to redline with any firm acceleration.

What gear?

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Every gear, it seems. I haven't tried any other cars yet, and the 125cc kart seems ok. If I give it slow acceleration, it will drive normally, but pedal all the way down is redline city.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

What controller are you using? Sounds like you have the clutch slipping to me.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

GOD IS BED posted:

Every gear, it seems. I haven't tried any other cars yet, and the 125cc kart seems ok. If I give it slow acceleration, it will drive normally, but pedal all the way down is redline city.

I've had a few cars that had two gears set to the same ratio for no apparent reason. I'd recommend reviewing the gear tune screen.

Also, if you drive with a clutch or it requires a clutch in that car and you pop it into gear without it, you'll just be in neutral. I misshift all the time and do that.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

LiquidRain posted:

What controller are you using? Sounds like you have the clutch slipping to me.

The Porsche GT2 wheel by Fanatec. The clutch seemed ok, but I'll check into it.

e: I am using the clutch pedal for it, but it seemed to shift ok, just wanted to jump to redline, like I was spinning the tires.

e2: ok, so I'm assuming the yellow bar on the telemetry is the clutch engagement, and the clutch is not fully engaging/disengaging. hopefully, cleaning out the pedal sensor with compressed air will help.

e3: it didn't help. time to email fanatec.

GOD IS BED fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 21, 2015

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

njsykora posted:

I have yet to find a Lotus car in any racing game, sim or otherwise that wasn't ridiculous fun to drive.

I see you never played GT5 then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOkUv7G2n7c

Of course, calling this 'racing' is generous, it's more of 'a video game level'.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ether Frenzy posted:

I see you never played GT5 then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOkUv7G2n7c

Of course, calling this 'racing' is generous, it's more of 'a video game level'.

Legitimately, I have never seen a track as bad for actually racing on as the Top Gear track. I don't think I actually did any of those challenges in GT5.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I haven't paid much attention to the game since it shipped am I going to be making any money off this or should I stop caring again?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

I haven't paid much attention to the game since it shipped am I going to be making any money off this or should I stop caring again?

What are you on about?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Norns posted:

What are you on about?

People who backed the game on SMS' totally-not-kickstarter site apparently can get some money if it sells really well because they angled it as an investment rather than crowdfunding. This is what got them in a massive amount of legal trouble because they ended up getting investigated by the UK's fraud office.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
Oh boy, if you think you're getting any appreciable amount of money, then you've never heard of Hollywood accounting.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

njsykora posted:

People who backed the game on SMS' totally-not-kickstarter site apparently can get some money if it sells really well because they angled it as an investment rather than crowdfunding. This is what got them in a massive amount of legal trouble because they ended up getting investigated by the UK's fraud office.
Ponzi CARS

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

osker posted:

Oh boy, if you think you're getting any appreciable amount of money, then you've never heard of Hollywood accounting.

The ridiculous people who threw in five figure sums might get a few bucks back, because chances are those are the people who can afford lawyers to check things out.

In actual racing stuff, I just did my first 100% length race in Formula C and I can't feel my butt.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

osker posted:

The crowd funding for Project CARS was limited in scope. The intention from the start was to only allow a certain number of people to give money to the development of the game. This is how Slightly Mad is able to pay people if Project CARS is successful. My backer pledge supposedly promises me $125. It's gonna take around three months before people get paid though, we are still waiting to hear back on the first month sales, those figures come from the publisher.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

gently caress yes! Friend gifted me this since it's the last day of the sale and I won't get paid until tomorrow. Can't wait to get in on some multiplayer shenanigans with the PC crew, I recognize a few of you from my Forza 4 days :v:

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Speaking of which, when you are guys going to play again?

I actually installed RaceRoom this weekend since their DLC is half off for the sale and I'm thinking about picking up some of their car/track packages on the cheap just to get a better AI experience. Have any of you played it at all?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Essobie posted:

I actually installed RaceRoom this weekend since their DLC is half off for the sale and I'm thinking about picking up some of their car/track packages on the cheap just to get a better AI experience. Have any of you played it at all?

I play quite a bit of Raceroom and also got the DTM 2013 and ADAC 2014 packs while they were cheap. The Ai is pretty solid, though expect to get slammed around quite a bit on first corners because touring cars. Cars and tracks are great though, and they have a couple that I think are only in there right now like Shanghai and Macau. A lot of people I think dismiss Raceroom because it bills itself as Free To Play but it's probably better to think of the free stuff as a demo, then buy an Experience pack to get yourself started, then just add in whatever tracks and cars you like. I do want to see it expand more, preferably adding in more of Brands Hatch than just the indy circuit.

E: Also there's a hilarious official controller.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!

Essobie posted:

Bast said he wasn't going to be around this weekend, and apparently everyone else wasn't either. There will probably be a race sometime during the week.

• Locked thread