Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Boz0r posted:

Are there any sites with building instructions for cool engineering stuff, like an engine, with lego technic?

The Humble Book Bundle I linked to has a technic building book in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Saw some amazing poo poo at Brickworld. Probably won't get to sort through pictures til Monday though.

I also paid way too much for an Atlantis Gate of the Squid, but it was there and I had money, which is how most bad decisions are made.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Is there a safe and reliable way to transport built models around? I may have to move soon and the idea of having to disassemble dozens of models with tens of thousands of pieces across them is absolutely nightmarish.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
We did a teardown when we moved 2 years ago and we just finished sorting a week ago.

I will never have that many models on display ever again. Jesus.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
How far are you moving? For e.g. moving across town I've generally just been able to put stuff in closely fitting boxes with no problems (split up unwieldy models into more manageable chunks first and toss any fiddly bits into separate bags.) Don't know how well that would stand up to longer/rougher moves but it's worked fine for me.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Alabaster White posted:

Is there a safe and reliable way to transport built models around? I may have to move soon and the idea of having to disassemble dozens of models with tens of thousands of pieces across them is absolutely nightmarish.

Depends on the model, of course. Modular buildings? Break them into their component floors and wrap/fill them with bubble wrap. Collect small, easily removable items into ziplocs for each set. A big, sturdy set like, say, Shuttle Expedition, separate the tanks and just wrap in bubble wrap, while something like the big F1 car, you might pull the wheels and spoiler, and wrap the rest. Small sets, just bag & wrap.

I have to do something similar when I break down my Winter Village after christmas. It's only moving to the shed, but I bundle up the minifigs and small items into bags and cushion as much as I can with the snow fabric the display uses.
In fact, that sort of fabric might actually be better than bubble wrap when it comes to lego.

I know people who build SHIPs usually build them in segments that easily come apart and be packed, since putting a 6' long spaceship or 40 square foot diorama in your car to take to a convention would be difficult.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Gabriel Pope posted:

How far are you moving? For e.g. moving across town I've generally just been able to put stuff in closely fitting boxes with no problems (split up unwieldy models into more manageable chunks first and toss any fiddly bits into separate bags.) Don't know how well that would stand up to longer/rougher moves but it's worked fine for me.

I haven't got a clue, to be honest. Probably less than 1 hour, but the trip isn't very bumpy. I'm just worried that if I try to transport whole that some piece will ping off and I'll never know what's missing or what the piece corresponds to. :tinfoil:

I've been wise enough to keep the original boxes and instructions of everything I own, so I've got somewhere I can stash loose pieces, but drat it's going to be a lot of effort. Almost all of my sets are building-style ones like the Arctic Camp, Raptor Escape, Detective's Office, etc.

The real problem is that I don't really have anywhere to safely disassemble the models, hence the full move idea, and goddamn what a chore it is to assemble 2000+ piece models without bags :(

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 21, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

rickiep00h posted:

Saw some amazing poo poo at Brickworld. Probably won't get to sort through pictures til Monday though.

Anything must see this year? I couldn't go yesterday and have a small window today to go, was thinking of just skipping this year but if there's a big draw I might cram it in.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

xzzy posted:

Anything must see this year? I couldn't go yesterday and have a small window today to go, was thinking of just skipping this year but if there's a big draw I might cram it in.

The Around the World in 80 Days set was pretty awesome, similar to the Wizard of Oz on from last year (I think). There's a good-sized and well-detailed Starcraft display. The massive Rivendell that's been spotted in various online places is there. A nice Classic Space scene, though not as large as the traditional M-Tron display. A couple Ice Planet scenes. Lots and lots of Mechs. Trains everywhere. The Chicago skyscrapers are there and always impressive. There's an original castle scene that keeps getting bigger each year and it's really getting impressive now.

That Starcraft scene, though, is gorgeous. I'll post a panorama of it later, but the detail and color usage is amazing. If you go, defs check it out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hate the train displays. They take enormous amounts of floorspace and a lot of those guys don't do anything creative with them. It's just a bunch of "here's a dozen reproductions of obscure train types just sitting there, and maybe a couple tiny set pieces that could be $50 creator sets."

The trains are typically super nice builds, I just can't force myself to care if they aren't integrated into a larger scene.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Re: moving, a lot of my stuff (mostly vehicle based) was fine, but my wife's Harry Potter took a severe beating and it turned out she pitched the instructions. I've replaced them from bricklink but haven't had the drive to put the sets together.

Plus this way I get all the display space

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Speaking of moving big rear end lego sets...

My friend's was having a reception in Milwaukee for friends and family after having a courthouse wedding. Since Milwaukee has the closest Lego Store to me I figured I would leave an hour early and swing by the mall and pick-a-brick and build-a-fig and still make it on time. I walked in the mall only to see a giant Lego Statue of Liberty. Turns out there was an exhibition of American monuments throughout the place. This was at Mayfair Mall in Milwaukee, but the pamphlet said it was a traveling exhibit. I thought you guys might like to see the pictures.

The United States Capitol

Another shot of Capitol. I tried to capture how much floor space this thing took up.

Some Winter Time MOC that I'm don't think was part of the exhibit, but I took a picture anyway.

More Winter Moc.

Independence Hall in Philadelphia. Where the Declaration of Independence was signed.

Old North Church, which is in Boston. Where Paul Revere' saw the lanterns.

Jefferson Memorial. I'm not sure why, but people tried to throw coins into it.

The Mall rendered in Lego.

The Supreme Court.

Anothe angle of the SCOTUS

You wouldn't know this building if you weren't from Milwaukee, or a Baseball fan, but it is the home of the Brewers, Miller Park. I'm pretty sure this wasn't part of the exhibit, but something somebody commissioned for some reason. Kinda neat.

More Miller Park

My camera couldn't really catch it, but there was a game going on inside. The real stadium does have a Harley Davidson mounted above left field.

This Fuckoff huge Washington Monument.

The frieze on the Capitol

Libby

The White House

I ended up being a half an hour late to the reception. :cool:

deoju fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 22, 2015

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Oh my God that better come to Boston

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

http://www.lego.com/en-us/club/member/articles/details/americana-roadshow-schedule-897d257715ad4897b1744ca57df22e26

Well that's a pretty limited tour.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
That Capitol building is amazing.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
How did I miss the stadium?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I know I saw some of those models here in Utah within the last year, which makes me wonder if there aren't separate "tours" that are reusing a lot of the same exhibits.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I talked about it many pages back but I've "finished" a build of a Hall of Armor MOC / vignette to hold my Iron Man figs. I'm hesitant to call it completely done since it's my first MOC and I'm uncertain as to how strong the base is or if I should spruce it up any, but I think it looks good for now.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Looks nice. I like that you've got the robot arm there as well. I'd like to make something like that myself but I never get round to stuff like that before I'm distracted by the next idea. For now it is still the Plastic Bag of Armor for my Iron Mans. I'd want to make a similar one for Batmans as well now I've got a nice variety of those.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I can send you the .lxf if you like. I know that's not really a substitute for building instructions but it's so modular I don't think it would be a problem.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Colonial Air Force posted:

Oh my God that better come to Boston

It already has. The Natick mall was the first mall the Lego Americana Roadshow appeared in.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Oh :(

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Zodack posted:

I talked about it many pages back but I've "finished" a build of a Hall of Armor MOC / vignette to hold my Iron Man figs. I'm hesitant to call it completely done since it's my first MOC and I'm uncertain as to how strong the base is or if I should spruce it up any, but I think it looks good for now.

That's absolutely amazing

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Zodack posted:

I can send you the .lxf if you like. I know that's not really a substitute for building instructions but it's so modular I don't think it would be a problem.

Oh, that'd be great if it's not too much trouble. Thanks!

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

McDragon posted:

Oh, that'd be great if it's not too much trouble. Thanks!

Here's a Google Drive link to download the .lxf. I'll just make it available to anyone in the thread who is interested. Just don't go pretending you made it or whatever I guess, not that any of you would do that anyways.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is the UCS B-wing supposed to just have an extra orange circle sticker in case you gently caress it up? It appears there are only 2 intended orange circles on it.

Also, can someone tell me what the part # is on the 2 little gold guns on the front of the cockpit?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 25, 2015

Tkytko
Jul 15, 2007

"Hisui-chan~, it seems a few things broke."

"... Nee-san, please refrain from cleaning again."

NESguerilla posted:

Is the UCS B-wing supposed to just have an extra orange circle sticker in case you gently caress it up? It appears there are only 2 intended orange circles on it.

Also, can someone tell me what the part # is on the 2 little gold guns on the front of the cockpit?

I never used my stickers so I don't know, but the parts are 64644 telescopes

TheBandersnatch
Nov 13, 2011
The series 5 mixels appear to be sold out with no restocking date on the Lego shop. Is this likely to change, or should I start looking for them locally? (Weirdly the set with all 9 series 5 mixels, while currently unavailable, says it will be shipped in 30 days. Is that a sign the individual ones will be available again as well?)

My husband and I recently discovered the fun of these little guys and I was hoping to get them if they went on sale like the last few series of mixels.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Finally read through most of this thread so time to post. I wasn't a big Lego kid but got into them with my daughter as she was growing up. I work in IT sitting looking at a screen all day, something about the slowing down to put a set together and the tactile feel of the bricks is appealing to me. I have a few sets that we built together when she was younger like the Harry Potters and the pirate ship. The latest editions are the Ghostbusters Ecto and the Marvel. I don't have any rhyme or reason to what I buy, other than what I can afford and what jumps out at me. I need to re-organize my shelves through if I continue adding.

Also, seeing this artic icebreaker set makes me want to mod it to look like the camp from John Carpenter's The Thing.
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=35290726&cp=2255956.2273442.2255962.3696486.10971509&parentPage=family

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Next car is an F40:

http://brickset.com/article/15598/10248-ferrari-f40-press-release

Looks kind of janky in pictures but I bet it looks good in person.. the video makes it look great.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
What's with that guy's crazy blinking. Is he trying to communicate via his eyes in morse code?

Either way the F40 is an instant buy for me, especially at a $90 MSRP for that many peices.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How many pieces is it? It looks tiny for a $90 set.

Pretty cool though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

1100 pieces, so there's gonna be a ton of small plates in there.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Hopefully it looks nice next to the Mini Cooper and VW Bus.

Sefiros
Mar 16, 2006

go radish go

tomapot posted:

Also, seeing this arctic icebreaker set makes me want to mod it to look like the camp from John Carpenter's The Thing.

There's also this:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm so excited for that Ferrari. Hopefully I don't have to import this one too. Still don't have the 24 hour car in the states.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

w00tazn posted:

What's with that guy's crazy blinking. Is he trying to communicate via his eyes in morse code.

:lol: the guys in those promo videos are always incredibly awkward and look like they are trying not to faint.

I like how he rolls it away at the end like a mic drop.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

NESguerilla posted:

:lol: the guys in those promo videos are always incredibly awkward and look like they are trying not to faint.

Lego OUT. <walks off>

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

w00tazn posted:

What's with that guy's crazy blinking. Is he trying to communicate via his eyes in morse code?

Blueprints of a thousand LEGO sets, past and future, flash before his eyes as just transient images. His powers too great, he takes solace in the fact that he was able to produce at least one work, this Ferrari F40, for you the consumer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

NESguerilla posted:

Jamie is okay. He's pretty comfortable in front of the camera.