Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Chard posted:

This would be completely ineffective until the aliens unlock the Hot Pink Armor technology

"Hey guys, Rookie Hugh Mann reporting in. Just another human, fightin' alongside my other, human, friends. Yep, we're all human here, aren't we?"

"HE'S NOT WEARING THE PINK GUYS! PUT HIM DOWN!!!"

"Try to take him alive, if possible. I would like to take him apart."

":gonk:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Nah, Hugh Mann is too obvious. But Norm L. Guye? He's legit.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
More seriously, some sort of loyalty mechanism could be interesting. They don't have access to a global governmental employee screening agency, after all. You could well have a turncoat on your team who waits until he has a good chance to kill one of your other squaddies or otherwise screw things up, then takes the shot and bugs out. And there could be things you could do to detect double agents and shore up troop loyalty (and maybe the aliens have ways to reduce loyalty, like putting pressure on a soldier's family?)

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Not quite what you described, but...

That's X-Com posted:

So I'm two months into this campaign and I'm pretty sure I'm hosed. I lost 3/5ths of my A squad last night. Not because I failed a mission, oh no. One of the civilians we rescued was a disguised Ethereal, and subverted my Support. When we got back to the base I was in the middle of sorting through stuff in the grey market when there was an explosion that rocked the screen and threw me out of the menu. I panned towards the source of the sound and found my barracks covered in fire, smoke, and blood. The Support blew himself and my 115 Aim Sniper up. One of my Assaults is critically injured and even if she survives I don't have the resources to MEC her right now. Then, as soon as I'd sorted that out the Heavy got notification that his family was wiped out in a retaliatory strike in response to the last mission. It doesn't even give you the option to intercept, I guess they just shoot them from orbit? Anyway, before I could take him off active duty and assign him to the base shrink his mental health bottomed out and he blew his brains out all over the mess hall. My other Assault is hovering just over suicidal now, and the soldiers I was planning to use for an eventual B-team are all Rookies and also took a bunch of morale penalties from this poo poo-show.

I may just have to start shooting all civilians on sight from now on, that's an awful mechanic. Maybe when I unlock psy-ops I'll be able to detect this poo poo before it happens? This series got loving dark, man. :smithicide:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Dammit, not enough time to finish it tonight, and I gotta sack out.

I'm gonna be out of commission all day tomorrow but I'll try to get it to ya Tuesday since I will have nothing to do but chill. Thanks. I'll be well-taken-care-of, no worries.

You are all wonderful people. Strangers on the internet or no, you've been nothing but supportive of me. Entertaining you guys is fun.

The next mission will be a gimmick mission... with a gimmick I've never seen anyone try in an EXALT mission. Heh heh heh.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

I'm gonna be out of commission all day tomorrow but I'll try to get it to ya Tuesday since I will have nothing to do but chill. Thanks. I'll be well-taken-care-of, no worries.

You are all wonderful people. Strangers on the internet or no, you've been nothing but supportive of me. Entertaining you guys is fun.

The next mission will be a gimmick mission... with a gimmick I've never seen anyone try in an EXALT mission. Heh heh heh.

Smart move putting medical procedures over pretend soldiers. Hopefully recovery is as hassle free as possible.

Is the gimmick somehow managing to launch the mission with no soldiers/SHIV so it's a solo operative?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

W.T. Fits posted:

Nah, Hugh Mann is too obvious. But Norm L. Guye? He's legit.

Guy Chapman.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Speedball posted:

Good luck, man. I'm sure you'll be fine. Remember: stool softeners as soon as you can eat!

Nermal "Trusty" Goodman.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

IMJack posted:

Nermal "Trusty" Goodman.
Justin "Good" Faith

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Way back in the 90s, there was an indie comic called "Scud the Disposeable Assassin" which was about a disposable yellow robot bought from a vending machine to kill a monster. When he finds out he'll self-destruct upon killing it, he instead cripples it and puts it on life support, and goes on very weird adventures to pay for it.

At one point his arm gets cut off and replaced by a human arm, which turns out to be a werewolf arm. So he goes on a space mission to figure out which of the astronauts is secretly a killer werewolf. George "Wolf" Martin, Roman Wolfman, Lupin Hargreave or "Fuzzy" Ted.

Already fasting. It's funny. Not actually thirsty but the fact that I can't drink anything makes me think about it MORE.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

More seriously, some sort of loyalty mechanism could be interesting. They don't have access to a global governmental employee screening agency, after all. You could well have a turncoat on your team who waits until he has a good chance to kill one of your other squaddies or otherwise screw things up, then takes the shot and bugs out. And there could be things you could do to detect double agents and shore up troop loyalty (and maybe the aliens have ways to reduce loyalty, like putting pressure on a soldier's family?)

It's official. EXALT are the new Hydra.

Seriously, I'd love them forever if they put something like this in.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

inflatablefish posted:

It's official. EXALT are the new Hydra.

Seriously, I'd love them forever if they put something like this in.

You know they are obvious EXALT plants. But you think "one more mission, then I'll arrest them." for the fifth time, as their EXALT gene mods secure a victory for your ground team.

Then they drop an alien grenade on your rookie carrying an unconscious Etherel to the extraction zone and you lament that you could have never seen it coming.

EDIT: Seriously, I'd be totally fine with a "gently caress you, it was a double agent" mechanic if it was laughably obvious, but the evil spies were really, really good soldiers with unique perks so you can only blame yourself if you keep them and they gently caress you over later.

"We lost another five days or research and 200 bitcoins!... But he's a 130 aim sniper with spider climb. things are fine, I can handle this :shepface:"
"Someone stole the skyranger."
"Totally fine, only EXALT Spies have Squad Sight, he's worth it :shepicide:":

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 23, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Speedball posted:

Working on next update, would like it to happen on a different page so we don't get flooded with images. So:

DISCUSSION TIME:

What kind of new aliens would you like to see in XCOM 2, or expect to see? Either from a visual standpoint, or a mechanical-gameplay standpoint.

The trailer showed us a snake-woman. I don't think it's a stretch to assume there might also be snake-men, or other anthropomorphized animal-people. They could have some pretty unique abilities depending on their host animal.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

FredMSloniker posted:

You could also have soldiers who were just scumbags, but not to the point of outright betraying you. Someone who is smuggling recovered alien tech out via the base garbage trucks, or has repurposed a part of the workshop to distill Sectoid blood into wicked experimental drugs.

Okay, after a while you know that if Vinny "No-Neck" Scalieri goes along on a mission, you're not bringing any captured weapons or weapon fragments home, but he's the best Assault you could ever ask for...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hungry and nauseous and in a lot of pain. Pharmacys computer was down so they couldn't give me meds which is BULLSHIT.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

Speedball posted:

Hungry and nauseous and in a lot of pain. Pharmacys computer was down so they couldn't give me meds which is BULLSHIT.

Time to send in the skyranger. :black101:

Seriously, man, glad everything seemed to go okay, hope you feel better soon.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Surgery was for umbilical hernia. Lot of pain to go through for something that just made a fat bubble on my bellybutton.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It seems like there isn't really much threat Thin Men pose to you once you have laser weapons.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Speedball posted:

Hang them from the highest tree, I say.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
What's going on outside Speedball's recovery room right now. ;)

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer

Speedball posted:

Surgery was for umbilical hernia. Lot of pain to go through for something that just made a fat bubble on my bellybutton.

Oh poo poo, my dad had that. Made his innie an outie. Glad you got that fixed soon, because it only gets worse left unattended.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

J Detan posted:

Oh poo poo, my dad had that. Made his innie an outie. Glad you got that fixed soon, because it only gets worse left unattended.

Yup, a week of suffering now before a lifetime of suffering later. Also made my innie an outie. They gave me some kind of giant velcro girdle thing to wear around my entire torso to make me feel stiff and fat.

Got some emergency alternative pain meds, vicodin. Right now my cat is being a complete and total shitburger who insists I go out into the backyard with her --just letting her out alone isn't enough-- specifically so I can brush her. gently caress her and gently caress me for teaching her that combing out the shed fur is pleasurable.

I used to have a smarter cat. A Siamese would be smart enough to tell from the croak of my voice, my slow shuffling and smell that I was sick and needed comforting. That's what the last cat did. This one is just unrepentant "ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME"

Yes, pain makes me exceedingly grouchy. At least I'm not disgustingly nauseous from the anaethesia anymore. "It'll be like a nice tequilla" said the anesthesiologist gently caress YOU YOUR DRINKS ARE rear end.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 23, 2015

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Speedball posted:

Yup, a week of suffering now before a lifetime of suffering later. Also made my innie an outie. They gave me some kind of giant velcro girdle thing to wear around my entire torso to make me feel stiff and fat.

After my dad had gone through heart surgery he had to wear weights against his chest to not let the wound open.
After a while we just called it the life jacket or suicide vest.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Speedball posted:

Got some emergency alternative pain meds, vicodin. Right now my cat is being a complete and total shitburger who insists I go out into the backyard with her --just letting her out alone isn't enough-- specifically so I can brush her. gently caress her and gently caress me for teaching her that combing out the shed fur is pleasurable.

I used to have a smarter cat. A Siamese would be smart enough to tell from the croak of my voice, my slow shuffling and smell that I was sick and needed comforting. That's what the last cat did. This one is just unrepentant "ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME"

Yes, pain makes me exceedingly grouchy. At least I'm not disgustingly nauseous from the anaethesia anymore. "It'll be like a nice tequilla" said the anesthesiologist gently caress YOU YOUR DRINKS ARE rear end.

And this is why there are people who think cats are assholes.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Cats are assholes though. :catbert:

I say this as someone with two cats.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Speedball posted:

Sounds like Tequilla to me.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Cats totally are assholes, but there's nothing better than waking up and finding your cat curled up next to you purring as loud as she can.

Until that cat gets old and hyperthyroidism so she's super wired all the time and you have to pile your pillows in front of your closet door because the cat knows pawing at it will wake you up.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

omg :3:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Speedball posted:

More like fifty nice tequilas. I've had a few surgeries and while I never remember any of it apparently I get extremely angry and violent when I'm coming out of it. Like, "we had you restrained so we didn't have to call the cops" irrational. Anesthesia is weird poo poo man

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Speedball posted:

You sure they didn't try to pass some mezcal off on you instead?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I think I'm more surprised that someone other than myself liked Scud the Disposable Assassin.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I think I'm more surprised that someone other than myself liked Scud the Disposable Assassin.

Would never have known about it if the comic book store near me as a kid hadn't been awesome. There was a spin-off series by Dan Harmon (yes, THAT Dan Harmon) called La Costa Nostroid about cyborg mobsters with a Voltron-like combiner robot. Dan Harmon and Rob Schrab don't make comics anymore because it's penny-ante compared to their true love, filmmaking.

Finally got the right meds. Now if only my surgeon would return my calls and let me know when it'll be safe to shower or take off this brace. A week, two... whatever, doc, take your time.

Outpatient surgery is balls.

This is karmic payback for all the characters I left wounded in the hospital for weeks in this LP. Sorry, Cam, I didn't mean to throw you in the meatgrinder so often, you're just so good at recovering from it!

EDIT: To put things in perspective: my PS4 is set up in front of my bed. I have a gaming bed. Batman: Arkham Knight just downloaded last night and I struggle to have fun with it despite having a Batmobile that's a transformer and a man-cannon. So much pain that what is essentialy Saints Row: Batman isn't fun. Ow.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 23, 2015

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
That's how I've been foe the last few weeks. Besides a cracked vertebrae I have a pair of bone spurs on the front of my left ankle that look like lobster claws and essentially slice through or pinch the meat in my ankle and foot every time I take a step.

I've been in so much pain that I'm charging through Witcher 3 fast as possible and ignoring side missions.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh my god I'm so sorry.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Besides a cracked vertebrae I have a pair of bone spurs on the front of my left ankle that look like lobster claws and essentially slice through or pinch the meat in my ankle and foot every time I take a step.

*GISes 'bone spur ankle'*

:stonk: Why the hell are you not in the hospital right now?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

FredMSloniker posted:

*GISes 'bone spur ankle'*

:stonk: Why the hell are you not in the hospital right now?

American health care.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Klaus88 posted:

American health care.

Yeah basically.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Yeah basically.

How the hell haven't you had a second revolution yet

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Rumda posted:

How the hell haven't you had a second revolution yet

It's hard to get uppity about how bad you have it when you don't realize how bad you have it, basically. The USA is pretty isolated culturally from the rest of the world -- remember we only border Canada and Mexico. Mexico's worse off than we are and while Canada's in good shape (a.k.a. has decent public healthcare) probably less than 5% of the population interacts with Canadians on a regular basis. So it's not like in Europe where if you live in Germany you routinely encounter Danes, Poles, Frenchmen, Italians, etc. making day trips out to check out your beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

24 of the worst hours of my life are over, just one more week of it to go. Hopefully the pain will begin to subside overall within the next three days.

• Locked thread