Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
What's the deal with the Farragut ?
It seems like a straight downgrade from the Nicholas, you get the chances to upgrade your torps for the high damage long range one but you lose concealment and the ability to drop torps from both side.
And the AA you get is worthless anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Krogort posted:

It seems like a straight downgrade from the Nicholas, you get the chances to upgrade your torps for the high damage long range one but you lose concealment and the ability to drop torps from both side.

Where are you finding these magical 'long range' torpedoes for the Farragut? Your choices are 5.5km or 4.5km range and that's it. The Mahan is the first US destroyer which has torpedoes that reach out to 6.4km.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Sorry I meant high damage short range.

Mahan seems an significant improvement yes, looks like Farragut "suicide boat" will be a long and painful grind.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Scikar posted:

I have the same gear except 16GB of RAM and I run everything maxed except anisotropic filtering (at 4x), shadows (on medium), reflections and sea rendering (on high instead of very high). I've got vsync on but it never dips below 30 FPS.

For some reason (maybe when I updated my drivers recently?) my GPU's fans were not activating at all. So, things were overheating, I guess. I had to manually set the fans to turn them on.

Seems to be working for now, but I'm gonna have to figure out how to make the fans activate and throttle on their own because it's annoying to have to turn them on every time I want to play some boats.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
So I'm almost finished playing through the US cruiser line on the new public test server. I can't get over how incredibly important co-ordination between cruisers and carriers is going to be. There are lots of high tier games going on right now and it seems that the default strategy is a massive air alpha strike on the other teams carriers. If it goes through you usually win, if It doesn't you usually lose. The sad part is that it seems that even when there are a couple of high tier cruisers sitting close to the carriers it doesn't seem like you shoot down much, you just suppress them a bit.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

Krogort posted:

Sorry I meant high damage short range.

Mahan seems an significant improvement yes, looks like Farragut "suicide boat" will be a long and painful grind.

Farragut is fine. You are a gun boat that happens to have torps. Shoot distracted targets with all the guns. I kept the 5th turret the whole time.

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?
Is there a trick to turning faster in a carrier to avoid torp runs?

Currently playing a Lexington and even turning when you know a torp run is incoming isn't enough to avoid a manual torp run instant death.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

ohsosad posted:

Is there a trick to turning faster in a carrier to avoid torp runs?

Currently playing a Lexington and even turning when you know a torp run is incoming isn't enough to avoid a manual torp run instant death.

There is an upgrade which allows for faster rudder shift, so that could help you out. Also, the faster you go, the better your turning rate, so go full speed. Also, always, ALWAYS turnes towards the torpedo bombers. Never away.

Max Manus
Oct 25, 2004

Saboteur par excellence.
Nap Ghost

Krogort posted:

They should just replace the Nicholas with it and put another of the US pre-war destroyers in for the Farragut at tier 6. Get rid of the paper designs when plently of real options exist. (Same for the Phoenix)

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
I've got everything up to tier 5 now taking advantage of the sale... except American cruisers because the Phoenix is a pile of poo poo.

Sure, okay, I can get one good game where I sink 4 ships... but for every one of those, I get hit by a crit for most of my health or steering gets hosed and I get hit by torps immediately afterwards.

This ship is cursed.

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Push through it and the Omaha isn't too bad and the Cleveland after it is amazing to play ( it then goes downhill).

frood
Aug 26, 2000
Nevermind.
I went away for a wedding this weekend. Is it still closed beta? Do I have time to grind to 50 battles to get the free premium in open beta or whatever?

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

frood posted:

I went away for a wedding this weekend. Is it still closed beta? Do I have time to grind to 50 battles to get the free premium in open beta or whatever?

Yep you have 8 days i think?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I wouldn't say Pensacola/New Orleans/Baltimore suck, but they feel lacking compared to Cleveland's 7.5 rpm 12 X 6 inch guns. And then it's long hard grind until you get Des Moines that can fire 9 X 8 inch guns at whopping 10 rpm.

Evil_Greven posted:

I've got everything up to tier 5 now taking advantage of the sale... except American cruisers because the Phoenix is a pile of poo poo.

Sure, okay, I can get one good game where I sink 4 ships... but for every one of those, I get hit by a crit for most of my health or steering gets hosed and I get hit by torps immediately afterwards.

This ship is cursed.
Welcome to the life of US cruisers. The sadness when you get shotgunned and 1 shell that manage to land hits for citadel crit :v:

KcDohl
Jun 18, 2004
LORK ON TEH CLORF
Dinosaur Gum
Hold on, people are already getting the CBT ship? I have >400 battles and there's nothing in my dangass port >:[

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So even without manual drop (or maybe I just don't know the key for it) I can do some pretty decent damage.

Also the previous carrier, where I did the same drat thing.

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Manual drop is alt key currently but in 0.4.0 its going to be a skill you need to unlock.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

KcDohl posted:

Hold on, people are already getting the CBT ship? I have >400 battles and there's nothing in my dangass port >:[

Same here. Not in CBT or OBT.

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

I've been playing for a few hours today and i haven't seen a single Arkansas on CBT so i assume it's not out.

That or it is just terrible and nobody is using it.

On a related note just rammed a destroyer and Iowa who were next to each other killing both in my Cleveland ( exploding myself of course).

Great fun and massive XP!

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

KcDohl posted:

afaik it'll be rewarded once OBT hits.

And yes auto drop works as long as you have minimum 2 torp squads dropping at the same time, otherwise it's easy to dodge.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Aesis posted:

afaik it'll be rewarded once OBT hits.

And yes auto drop works as long as you have minimum 2 torp squads dropping at the same time, otherwise it's easy to dodge.
I think the complain with auto drop is that the spread is bigger and its therefore harder to land one of those perfect tight lines of torps that all slam into the enemy BB.

I'm up to tier 7 in both cruiser lines and I think I'm going to push up the Japanese one first come OBT. The Cleveland is a monster, but its a very one dimensional monster and I LOVE the X factor of torps on the Japanese cruisers. Pubbies just panic when torps happen and I feel like every other game or so I get a solid chance to use them. People just seem to forget you have them. Nothing like an overzealous Cleveland coming in to finish your almost dead Myoki off and then just giving you a 4km broad side and taking him from full health to dead. 10km isn't ideal but its workable on a lot of maps. Also, for whatever reason, the Japanese cruiser guns feel like railguns with nice tight groupings, and I find the slower fire rate easier to use if I have to dodge enemy volleys or torps.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I've only just got into carriers and I've been doing alright with auto-drop, but that's because I'm using japanese carriers.

Is there any real reason to ever use fighters on japanese carriers? They seem really underwhelming (I'm currently on the tier VI japanese carrier). I almost always prefer getting an extra squadron of torpedo bombers over getting some fighters that will likely get destroyed by the larger groups that american carriers have. The best match I ever had was when i got paired with a independence that had focused on fighters and he cleared the skies of enemy planes while I just launched torpedoes left and right. I got like 23 torp hits in that game with 3 ships destroyed. I really need to find someone that runs american carriers so that I can division with him.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
With auto-drop 3~4 out of 6 will hit battleships if they don't turn. However even when you lose planes in a squad the cone of drop remains more or less the same, which means enemy just needs to shoot down 3~4 per squad to make a big gap for dodging.

As for cruisers it's really nice to have torps, but since it's not easy to get into <5 km range Cleveland/Des Moines are worth grinding imo. Just gotta endure around 350k xp requirement !

Aesis fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 22, 2015

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Hmm, The Clemson is pretty good.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Aesis posted:

With auto-drop 3~4 out of 6 will hit battleships if they don't turn. However even when you lose planes in a squad the cone of drop remains more or less the same, which means enemy just needs to shoot down 3~4 per squad to make a big gap for dodging.

As for cruisers it's really nice to have torps, but since it's not easy to get into <5 km range Cleveland/Des Moines are worth grinding imo. Just gotta endure around 350k xp requirement !

Tier X Zao has 8km torps and the 8/9 cruisers seem to have 10km. Its not useful every game, but when it is, god drat is it useful.

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Tekopo posted:

I've only just got into carriers and I've been doing alright with auto-drop, but that's because I'm using japanese carriers.

Is there any real reason to ever use fighters on japanese carriers? They seem really underwhelming (I'm currently on the tier VI japanese carrier). I almost always prefer getting an extra squadron of torpedo bombers over getting some fighters that will likely get destroyed by the larger groups that american carriers have. The best match I ever had was when i got paired with a independence that had focused on fighters and he cleared the skies of enemy planes while I just launched torpedoes left and right. I got like 23 torp hits in that game with 3 ships destroyed. I really need to find someone that runs american carriers so that I can division with him.

I've got a t8 American carrier and i can pretty much say its never worthwhile to run solo with fighters and almost never use fighters on a Japanese carrier because they are terrible unless you are the highest tier and even then they aren't very good.

Also in higher tier carrier battles fighters are largely irrelevant since both teams just rush the other carrier and unless you run 3+ squadrons of fighters ( aka american carriers) you won't be able to kill enough planes to matter and you just explode in the second wave of torps/bombers.

And they run out of ammo really fast.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
No idea how hits are calculated with fighters, but I've had an enemy controlling Tier 5 IJN torp squad just step dancing on the same spot while my Langley's fighter squad tried to shoot it down. In the end he didn't lose a single torp bomber while I ran out of ammo and had to go back :stare:

It does feel easier to shoot planes down with AA if they're moving more or less in same direction, but it feels like it gets hard when they keep changing directions.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 22, 2015

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Aesis posted:

No idea how hits are calculated with fighters, but I've had an enemy controlling Tier 5 IJN torp squad just step dancing on the same spot while my Langley's fighter squad tried to shoot it down. In the end he didn't lose a single torp bomber while I ran out of ammo and had to go back :stare:

It does feel easier to shoot planes down with AA if they're moving more or less in same direction, but it feels like it gets hard when they keep changing directions.

Yeah the Langely fighters do barely any damage and if they are upgraded they have poo poo all ammo while the Japanese t5 torp bombers have massive amount of health.

It's also possible they panicked because of a cruisers special ability nearby which makes them terrible.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Tekopo posted:

Is there any real reason to ever use fighters on japanese carriers?

None at all

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Tekopo posted:

I really need to find someone that runs american carriers so that I can division with him.

I thought you couldn't division 2 carriers.
For obvious reasons.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Max Manus posted:

They should just replace the Nicholas with it and put another of the US pre-war destroyers in for the Farragut at tier 6. Get rid of the paper designs when plently of real options exist. (Same for the Phoenix)

Which one of these two ships that actually existed (Nicholas or Farragut) are you saying was a paper design?

The Nicholas was a Clemson class DD, that managed to sink after grounding in 1923, and the Farragut was a class of 8 DD's that were the first post-WW1 DD design.

Or is the Nicholas as it exists in the game not just a slightly different (later?) Clemson? i.e. It should go Clemson -> Farragut -> Porter -> Mahan? If so, yea, I'd agree with that except that the Porter had no torpedo's so doesn't really fit into the WoWs DD model very well. They could just go Clemson -> Farragut -> Mahan -> Gridley (or Somers) though. There are plenty of US DD classes to progress through.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The problem is that while USS Nicholas existed, it wasn't the lead ship of a class, nor the lead ship of a sub-class or batch, nor was it even a particularly special configuration of the class - it was an ordinary, run of the mill Clemson class destroyer that didn't even survive to reach any of the common modernisation periods.

It's just a really weird addition to the tree when so many options exist.

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

It did however run aground and get wrecked having achieved nothing of value which is highly symbolic of low level DD combat.

Looking at the Clemson/Nicholas in-game they have different models though?

Do they have paper upgrades or something that the Nicholas gets but the Clemson doesn't?

edit: Oh the Nicholas in game isnt the same as the USS Nicholas that sank it's paper designed based on the Clemson.

ohsosad fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jun 22, 2015

Max Manus
Oct 25, 2004

Saboteur par excellence.
Nap Ghost

The Locator posted:

Which one of these two ships that actually existed (Nicholas or Farragut) are you saying was a paper design?

The Nicholas was a Clemson class DD, that managed to sink after grounding in 1923, and the Farragut was a class of 8 DD's that were the first post-WW1 DD design.

Or is the Nicholas as it exists in the game not just a slightly different (later?) Clemson? i.e. It should go Clemson -> Farragut -> Porter -> Mahan? If so, yea, I'd agree with that except that the Porter had no torpedo's so doesn't really fit into the WoWs DD model very well. They could just go Clemson -> Farragut -> Mahan -> Gridley (or Somers) though. There are plenty of US DD classes to progress through.

The Nicholas that's in game is the made up class, just read the description. Move the Farragut down to tier 5 and slot in one that fits either at tier 6 or later.

The Porter/Somers class ships perhaps on a different tree due to the dual five inch gun turrets.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Yeah there isn't exactly a shortage of real USN DD classes so it's just wargaming being wargaming.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Followed the OP's recommendation on the Nagato, I've only played one game, but watching those secondaries open up on enemies allowed me to bring down ships I wasn't even shooting at. Pretty awesome.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Tell you what though, I wish the camera would stop resetting to the default zoom and angle every time you change ships in Port, it makes it really hard to compare between ships

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Is the 50 game grind for the Arkansas from the beginning of CBT or for when they announced it? After I ground my way up to the Des Moines, I've been giving warships a break.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
From the beginning so you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

MoraleHazard posted:

Is the 50 game grind for the Arkansas from the beginning of CBT or for when they announced it? After I ground my way up to the Des Moines, I've been giving warships a break.
Check your stat. afaik if it shows 50+ pvp games you're fine.