Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I'm not sure if you guys have ever played Limited, much less core set Limited, but that fire dog is going to be really loving good. Hopefully B/R Act of Treason/sack will be a deck again because I think that might be my favorite draft archetype of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Most people in this thread probably haven't, no. I know I never have

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

New Spoiler-

(Roughly) Translated, this card says-

Relic Hunter
1W Creature—Human Soldier
Fame 1 (Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, if this creature isn't famous, put a +1/+1 counter on it and it becomes famous.)
Whenever Relic Hunter becomes famous, you may search your library for an Equipment card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I really hope it's actually "famous" because that's my favorite descriptor for the state a permanent can be in since back in RTR block when I got to put things in jail.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Oh please let it be called famous in English please please please. Also let Mtgo blingee the card after it becomes famous

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Fame would be better, because I'd totally break into song at the prerelease on a trigger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2COKt6DqSaQ

And if a trigger causes the creature to get indestructible and flying... well. That's all I'll be playing in standard.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

GoutPatrol posted:

Oh please let it be called famous in English please please please. Also let Mtgo blingee the card after it becomes famous
If we're going to Blingee the card it should be called "Fabulousness". Magic's first LGBT pride set!

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Question that came up at my last FNM. When casting a spell like Sign in Blood (target player draws two cards and loses two life) do you declare your target before it goes on the stack or when it resolves? Opponent claimed he didn't have to tell me who he was targeting, not that this would have changed anything. Just curious for the future.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Dohaeris posted:

Question that came up at my last FNM. When casting a spell like Sign in Blood (target player draws two cards and loses two life) do you declare your target before it goes on the stack or when it resolves? Opponent claimed he didn't have to tell me who he was targeting, not that this would have changed anything. Just curious for the future.

You choose targets and modes of a spell when you put it on the stack - so your opponent was incorrect. Any other choices (notably, including whether or not to redirect noncombat damage to a planeswalker) you don't have to make until the spell resolves.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Jabor posted:

You choose targets and modes of a spell when you put it on the stack - so your opponent was incorrect. Any other choices (notably, including whether or not to redirect noncombat damage to a planeswalker) you don't have to make until the spell resolves.

Beat me to it, but yes, opponent was lying/wrong/stupid.

114.1. Some spells and abilities require their controller to choose one or more targets for them. The targets are object(s), player(s), and/or zone(s) the spell or ability will affect. These targets are declared as part of the process of putting the spell or ability on the stack. The targets can't be changed except by another spell or ability that explicitly says it can do so.

114.1a An instant or sorcery spell is targeted if its spell ability identifies something it will affect by using the phrase "target [something]," where the "something" is a phrase that describes an object, player, or zone. The target(s) are chosen as the spell is cast; see rule 601.2c. (If an activated or triggered ability of an instant or sorcery uses the word target, that ability is targeted, but the spell is not.)

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Kothophed, Hoarder of Souls

Flying

Whenever a permanent owned by another player is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you draw one card and lose 1 life.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

HMS Boromir posted:

I really hope it's actually "famous" because that's my favorite descriptor for the state a permanent can be in since back in RTR block when I got to put things in jail.

I'm hoping for Fabulous myself.

Lancelot posted:

If we're going to Blingee the card it should be called "Fabulousness". Magic's first LGBT pride set!

Apparently I'm not the only one.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Samael posted:

Flying

Whenever a permanent owned by another player is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you draw one card and lose 1 life.

"Hoarder of Anime"

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Xaerael posted:

Fame would be better, because I'd totally break into song at the prerelease on a trigger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2COKt6DqSaQ

And if a trigger causes the creature to get indestructible and flying... well. That's all I'll be playing in standard.

This was in my head as soon as I saw the keyword. I'm glad I'm not alone.

Serperoth posted:

"Hoarder of Anime"

Nice.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Somewhere, at some point, someone is going to say "Sacrifice all of my permanents, you lose." And that warms my heart.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Samael posted:

Flying

This'll go great in my Kothophed, Hoarder of Souls EDH deck!

(I know. I know. I'll go :suicide: myself now.)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Dohaeris posted:

Announce
Choose modes
Target

Calculate costs
Activate Mana abilities
Pay costs

Then it goes on the stack

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm going to ACT CAMP after my FABULOUS triggers have resolved. :gay:

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Rinkles posted:

Like I was expecting, it's a multicolored cycle

I'm surprised no one mentioned the art on this. It looks like the artist got a little more freedom for this. It's a departure from their usual ultra-realistic digital portrait. I wouldn't like the style on every card, but I would enjoy a handful of these from every set.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Samael posted:

New Spoiler-

Relic Hunter
Fame 1 (Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, if this creature isn't famous, put a +1/+1 counter on it and it becomes famous.)
Whenever Relic Hunter becomes famous, you may search your library for an Equipment card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
I hope it is famous too so that guys who manage to actually swing in and not die are the loving celebrities they deserve to be.

OMG it's relic hunter! He got around a Path! Sign my sword of f&f!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Samael posted:

New Spoiler-

Relic Hunter

Please please please let them be bringing back good equipment

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Please please please let them be bringing back good equipment

I'm fine with equipment being good, in the vein of bonesplitter/runechanters pike, cards that increase the clock and make the creatures more dangerous in combat, but gently caress equipment like the Swords of Blank and Blank. Equipment that just nullifies an entire colors answers and interaction is bullshit.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Madmarker posted:

I'm fine with equipment being good, in the vein of bonesplitter/runechanters pike, cards that increase the clock and make the creatures more dangerous in combat, but gently caress equipment like the Swords of Blank and Blank. Equipment that just nullifies an entire colors answers and interaction is bullshit.

So basically you're against the cool ones, got it

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Madmarker posted:

Seeing as how they said Protection will be (almost) gone starting with Origins, they will probably never make a Sword like that again.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I gather with the phasing out of protection they're probably not going to reprint the enemy-coloured sword cycle. But I'd be keen for big swingy equipment that are good in other ways. Maybe granting hexproof rather than protection would feel fairer?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

So basically you're against the cool ones, got it

No, if Sword of Fire and Ice had all the same abilities save protection, I'd have been fine with it.

Honestly, I think I just hate protection, and am glad to see it go.

GoutPatrol posted:

Seeing as how they said Protection will be (almost) gone starting with Origins, they will probably never make a Sword like that again.

Good.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lancelot posted:

I gather with the phasing out of protection they're probably not going to reprint the enemy-coloured sword cycle. But I'd be keen for big swingy equipment that are good in other ways. Maybe granting hexproof rather than protection would feel fairer?

hmm yes protecting against everything instead of 2/5ths of it sounds a lot more fair

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Protection loving rules.....pro "color" vs. mono "color" and swing for unblockable is ftw

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Protection is no longer evergreen but it's not dead like Banding. Maro said they'd be using it very sparely, and a high profile cycle like Swords is exactly where they'd use it.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

hmm yes protecting against everything instead of 2/5ths of it sounds a lot more fair

Actually, removing protection from blue and red would critically change the card for the worse in a lot of legacy match ups. If you're playing Death and Taxes, you're going for that sword immediately and using it to out race any True Name Nemesis the opponent drops and keeping it from blocking your dudes too. It's similarly useful for any match involving Baleful Strix.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 22, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Protection is no longer evergreen but it's not dead like Banding. Maro said they'd be using it very sparely, and a high profile cycle like Swords is exactly where they'd use it.
I disagree, swords are probably the most notorious example of protection just being completely and utterly unbeatable for some decks, especially in limited. He was probably referring to Gods Willing-type effects, since those offer interesting flexibility and don't just completely bone your opponent.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

hexproof and protection from everything are pretty different mechanics mate

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Honestly, I think an equip that is basically Spectrum Ward would be pretty cool. (It would probably have to be CMC 5, Equip 4, though.)

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Someone pointed out Kothophed is the guy on the Demonic Tutor art. Nice callback.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

GoutPatrol posted:

So, apparently, the mechanic is called "Renown" in English. :(

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Samael posted:

Flying

This is the demon depicted in the duel deck Demonic Tutor along with Liliana, isn't it?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Oraculum Animi posted:

This is the demon depicted in the duel deck Demonic Tutor along with Liliana, isn't it?

RubberJohnny posted:

Someone pointed out Kothophed is the guy on the Demonic Tutor art. Nice callback.

Literally two posts above you ;)

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

It's cool how its italian translation has the word anime in it and it also looks just like a generic anime demon.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

OMG it's relic hunter! He got around a Path! Sign my sword of f&f!

I sincerely hope that it's actually Fame so I can actually declare what artifact I'm searching for like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Bonus posted:

It's cool how its italian translation has the word anime in it and it also looks just like a generic anime demon.

I'm not sure what sort of anime you've been watching, but I rather like that design. Demons just get so much cooler as you get further away from human-like bone structures. This guy is just humanoid enough to add to how very alien he is.

• Locked thread