Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

Also lol that the end of Ocarina of Time Link's story is he became a skeleton ghost because he was "so sad"

"Oh, hi. It's just me, ghost dad Link. Sure, I went to great lengths to make sure you could just life a quiet life in that nice village, maybe settle down with the nice young woman who looks after your horse. Went out of my way to make sure you wouldn't pull that loving Master Sword and end up a screeching skeleton in the regret-horror afterlife, like me, but hey, looks like you got out and somehow met the new accursed Zelda. :sigh: Whatever, wanna learn the downthrust?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Windwaker, Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and yes, even Skyward Sword are all really great games, and the people complaining about "blooooooom" are wrong, as both WW HD and TP are very pretty games with a unique aesthetic.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Depends what you'd like to play. Most of the Spiderweb Software RPGs are going for £2 at the moment and they're totally worth a punt if you don't mind the low-fi graphics. Good choice in GZ though, you should totally get that in preparation for Hideo Kojima's Swan Song Masterpiece
I have all the Geneforges but I never played Avernum because it seemed like a more combat-focused Geneforge and it already has a bit too much mediocre combat in places. Maybe I should try them!!

or LISA. Is it actually good?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I've not tried LISA, it gets alot of praise from the same crowd who love stuff like Deadly Premonition and poo poo and that's is enough to put me off.

As for Spiderweb Software, my favourite series has been Avadon; it's less of a dungeon crawl than Avernum and has far more roleplaying opportunities, plus it manages to do some unconventional and challenging things with its medieval fantasy setting without coming off as grimdark or needlessly edgy

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I've not tried LISA, it gets alot of praise from the same crowd who love stuff like Deadly Premonition and poo poo and that's is enough to put me off.

Then why post that, other than to snipe at people who like Deadly Premonition?

You should try LISA, it's a good, interesting game imo. Slowbeef did a stream of it that you could watch a little bit of to see if it's something you'd be interested in. It's all up on his Youtube channel.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

CJacobs posted:

You should try LISA, it's a good, interesting game imo. Slowbeef did a stream of it that you could watch a little bit of to see if it's something you'd be interested in. It's all up on his Youtube channel.

My apologies for insulting the honour of your game, I hope you can make it through this trying time

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Bicyclops posted:

Windwaker, Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and yes, even Skyward Sword are all really great games, and the people complaining about "blooooooom" are wrong, as both WW HD and TP are very pretty games with a unique aesthetic.

Skyward Sword is worthless trash that I choose to ignore the existence of like Other M. That aside, even Twilight Princess is a pretty good game and it's the worst of the console Zeldas.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Twilight Princess sucks actually

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Think again, fuckers: they're all excellent.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

My apologies for insulting the honour of your game, I hope you can make it through this trying time

you're a child

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only genuinely bad Zelda game is Spirit Tracks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wouldn't say there are any explicitly bad Zelda games, but some are better than others in terms of quality.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

CJacobs posted:

I wouldn't say there are any explicitly bad Zelda games, but some are better than others in terms of quality.

:dogbutton:

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

The only genuinely bad Zelda game is Zelda Ii: the adventure of Link.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The crossbow game that came packaged with the Wii remotes kinda sucked but it was free and a fun challenge so I wouldn't say it's bad per se.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Adventure of Link isn't bad if you take it in context, it was just Nintendo hard. i haven't plyaed spirit tracks yet.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Every 3D Zelda's had some design issue which has held it back at least a little, ALttP's still the high point of the series in that regard, but Spirit Tracks is the only one I've ever just put down and thought 'this is bad'

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zelda II is one of the best games in the series and is actually better than the first game, the oracle games, skyward sword, twilight princess, and the two ds games (low bar, I know) combined.

I tried to play the oracle games a hundred times, and tried to play through tp again after beating it in 2007, and both times I just quit out of boredom. Zelda II I played through like a million times and I had a lot of fun every time.

It's not the best Zelda, but it is easily the most underrated and underappreciated. Zelda ii loving owns.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
can anyone tell me why I had to buy a new 500 dollar video card when my old gtx 260 played poo poo like dishonoured, rear end creed black flag and wolfenstien just fine at 30+fps

one day they were just like 'nope we're not even going to let you start this game gently caress you'

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

can anyone tell me why I had to buy a new 500 dollar video card when my old gtx 260 played poo poo like dishonoured, rear end creed black flag and wolfenstien just fine at 30+fps

one day they were just like 'nope we're not even going to let you start this game gently caress you'

Ram most likely.

896mb is just not enough for newer titles.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

You didn't need to spend $500 though. Even a cursory glance on amazon has overclocked GTX 970s going for $330 and that's the high end of mid-tier, a GTX 960 would have only cost you $200 that that'd still put in good work for the next 3-4 years still for sure

e: or was this just a way to humblebrag about buying a Titan X or something?

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 22, 2015

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

A Steampunk Gent posted:

You didn't need to spend $500 though. Even a cursory glance on amazon has overclocked GTX 970s going for $330 and that's the high end of mid-tier, a GTX 960 would have only cost you $200 that that'd still put in good work for the next 3-4 years still for sure

A gtx 270 was 475 Canadian after tax with batman included, was the best price I could find. I guess I should just be happy my 7 year old low mid end card performed as well for as long as it did.

And no not a humblebrag just curious

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Zelda 2, Spirit Tracks, and Skyward Sword are hot garbage. Z2 because it's way too hard and obscure about things, the others because they feel incredibly low-effort and unrewarding.

CJacobs posted:

I love the idea of Deadly Premonition, and I've enjoyed two LPs of it, but I would never ever ever want to play it myself.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've tried to like Skyward Sword, I've tried so so hard. It's just a bad, boring, stupid game all around.

Literally three times I've tried to restart it, and I'm doing some retarded crap dowsing in sand for something or another and theres time crystals and I just cannot even begin to be bothered. I *love* Zelda, so I keep hoping this time will be the time I pick it up and it clicks for me.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Manky posted:

Z2 because it's way too hard and obscure about things.

I would accept this argument for not liking zelda 2 if people also used it for zelda 1, but the first game had even more bullshit.

sorry your so bad at video games manky :(

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Zelda 2 is hard as gently caress but it actually owns if you're not a dumb baby.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

A gtx 270 was 475 Canadian after tax with batman included, was the best price I could find. I guess I should just be happy my 7 year old low mid end card performed as well for as long as it did.

And no not a humblebrag just curious

Is there even such a thing as a GTX270? I decided to splurge for my latest video card so I spent $350, if you spend more than like $200 you're being excessive.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Hell a 750ti for 100 is good for 720p gaming.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Zelda 2 is good in a Nintendo Hard way, but the invisible holes in the last two dungeons really are too over the top, and the 80th time you get into a knife fight, you start to get a little tired of it. It is a flawed game for its time, much like Skyward Sword, which is really fun, but incorporates a bunch of new mechanics, only some of which work (and the rest have some kinks). That the world is basically one giant dungeon was interesting, and I hope they try it again sometime, but not for the next Zelda.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Adam Bowen posted:

Is there even such a thing as a GTX270? I decided to splurge for my latest video card so I spent $350, if you spend more than like $200 you're being excessive.

I assume he meant 970. Also okay that makes a bit more sense in Canadian dollars and the 970 is worth going for if you can afford it

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Yeah the 970 seems to be the standard baseline for gpus going forward.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Adam Bowen posted:

Zelda 2 is hard as gently caress but it actually owns if you're not a dumb baby.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

like, holes that actually do require you to fall in them or find them in a strategy guide in order to avoid them are almost unquestionably a gaming design flaw for all folks, dumb baby casuals and hardcore gamers alike.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Zelda 2 is the best knife fighting simulator ever made.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

like, holes that actually do require you to fall in them or find them in a strategy guide in order to avoid them are almost unquestionably a gaming design flaw for all folks, dumb baby casuals and hardcore gamers alike.

Oh no, a design flaw in a video game!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Adam Bowen posted:

I dunno most of the poo poo was just annoying. Like the dungeon segments were OK but the random encounters, the unhittable enemies, and the parts of the map that intentionally slow you down were bullshit. That and Retstarting back at the beginning if you died or re-loaded and therefore making your trek back to where you were an ordeal.

I still beat it in the same day I finished the Second Quest to Zelda 1.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Getting the hammer was bullshit

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

theultimo posted:

Getting the hammer was bullshit

That was hidden in a cave where you needed to jump through a bunch of stupid obtuse hoops that rivaled a Sierra Adventure game.

Also maxing out your levels was a pain in the rear end.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

id enjoy zelda 2 a lot more if your sword wasn't flesh colored I mean what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

• Locked thread