Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Jose posted:

Kallor the candles stop him aging from what I remember. Ascendants are immortal in the sense that they never age which is why his curse is different.

Slight correction: they slow down, they don't stop. Per the Elder gods' curse, he will never die - but that doesn't preclude him turning into the Crypt Keeper / spending hundreds of thousands of years laying immobile on a stone slab in a cave somewhere. Based on what we see, it might be reasonably concluded that the candles - or some other ritual - also grant somewhat increased physical attributes.

E: through five or six reads, my favorite bit of funny remains this scene from DHG, which I will spoiler just in case since we have new readers in the house:

quote:

Iskaral Pust, squatting a few paces away, sputtered. ‘Muddy the puddle, oh yes! Yank his loyalties this way and that –excellent! Witness the strategy of silence –while the intended victims unravel each other in pointless, divisive discourse. Oh yes, I have learned much from Tremorlor, and so assume a like strategy. Silence, a faint mocking smile suggesting I know more than I do, an air of mystery, yes, and fell knowledge. None could guess my confusion, my host of deluded illusions and elusive delusions! A mantle of marble hiding a crumbling core of sandstone. See how they stare at me, wondering –all wondering –at my secret wellspring of wisdom...'

'Let’s kill him,’ Crokus muttered, ‘if only to put him out of our misery.’
'And sacrifice such entertainment?’ Fiddler growled. He resumed his place at point. ‘Time to go.’

‘The blathering of secrets,’ the High Priest of Shadow uttered in a wholly different voice, ‘so they judge me ineffectual.’ The others spun to face him. Iskaral Pust offered a beatific smile.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

edit: As for the funny, you'll meet series' best comedy duo in book 5. Which is just as well because otherwise it's bleak as hell.

I don't know, I find Bauchelain and Korbal Broach to be a rather fun duo (or trio if you count Emancipor Reese). Pust, Mogara and his donkey are in there as well.
Also, every appearance by Shadowthrone is also fun.
Tehol and Bugg gets kinda overrated in the end.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Cardiac posted:

I don't know, I find Bauchelain and Korbal Broach to be a rather fun duo (or trio if you count Emancipor Reese). Pust, Mogara and his donkey are in there as well.
Also, every appearance by Shadowthrone is also fun.
Tehol and Bugg gets kinda overrated in the end.
Nah. Their strength is how well they play off one another. They may not hit the same peaks, no Letherii pun intended, but they're consistently very good.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
everyone's always rolling their shoulders

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Kalam's shoulder rolling alone could power a small city.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

apophenium posted:

Kalam's shoulder rolling alone could power a small city.

And probably does, in some pocket Warren we haven't seen yet.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Habibi posted:

Slight correction: they slow down, they don't stop. Per the Elder gods' curse, he will never die - but that doesn't preclude him turning into the Crypt Keeper / spending hundreds of thousands of years laying immobile on a stone slab in a cave somewhere. Based on what we see, it might be reasonably concluded that the candles - or some other ritual - also grant somewhat increased physical attributes.

E: through five or six reads, my favorite bit of funny remains this scene from DHG, which I will spoiler just in case since we have new readers in the house:

Iskaral Pust was one of my favorite characters. Unlike Kruppe, the scene moved on just about every time I was starting to get tired of him, plus I liked that you could never quite tell if he was an absolute complete and utter genius, or just insane but wickedly powerful enough to not ever suffer the consequences of his insanity. Or both. It's probably both.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Reapers gale sure has a lot of incest

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
So I just finished reading Karsa's backstory (basically the first quarter of House of Chains) and holy poo poo :aaa:

Dude drat, really.

Avoiding spoilers because welp... but, uh, wow, if it weren't for the whole Toc/Tool bromance this might be my favorite part of the entire series to date.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Witness!!!

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
all this buildup of redmask and toc and especially grey swords and they just get fucken wiped out/killed. welp

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

"I was young, and took pleasure in the voicing of vows."

I love how Karsa truly develops as a character throughout the series. Erickson does so with the lightest touch: he truly changes gradually, which I would think is tough to pull off as an author.

Kreega Bondola
May 28, 2008
Dust of Dreams: man I dunno what I thought was gonna happen at the end there, but it definitely wasn't that. Honestly, it got so slow in the middle that I was barely reading it, but that fuckin finale just blew my balls right off. My only hope is for more of Hedges Fighting Sappers, heroic tales of throwing acid in bitches faces.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
man TTH was kind of a slog. cool.. another harllo or snell chapter..

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
TTH is probably the worst book in the series; it gets better from now on.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

TTH is probably the worst book in the series; it gets better from now on.

It's certainly the slowest. But I liked the Harlo/Snell stuff. :/

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Toll I at least finished. Dust I gave up on after repeated glacial paced Shake and Icarium chapters. I hear the ending was exciting, but holy poo poo is that book dull. TCG was worth the slog though, and from what I can tell I missed virtually nothing.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Except for the final 100 pages or so of each respective book, TTH and DoD were definitely my least favourite parts of the series. The ending of DoD is probably my favourite battle though.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Velius posted:

Toll I at least finished. Dust I gave up on after repeated glacial paced Shake and Icarium chapters. I hear the ending was exciting, but holy poo poo is that book dull. TCG was worth the slog though, and from what I can tell I missed virtually nothing.

I never really enjoyed the various Icarium stories, but after whatever book the Shake first appear, I enjoyed their story a lot.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Karsa and Icarium's second meeting was a let down imo

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I love the final reveal of the Icarium plotline, that it's the people accompanying him that matter. Knowing that has made me appreciate him a lot more on reread.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

DoD definitely suffered a bit from being part one of TCG, but aside from the Snake chapters I enjoyed it.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Habibi posted:

DoD definitely suffered a bit from being part one of TCG, but aside from the Snake chapters I enjoyed it.

I hated the snake until the magical rap battle.. That one scene made it all worthwhile for me.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

I hated the snake until the magical rap battle.. That one scene made it all worthwhile for me.

Yeah it pays off in the end just like every other Erikson plotline, but the first DoD chunk and before you get the rap battle or discover the significance of the whole Snake thing is mind numbing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I think I must have read DoD mostly drunk or something because there is a lot I don't seem to remember

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I just finished the series for the second time. The books that seemed tedious before (TTH and DOD) were much more pleasant this time around, having the benefit of foreknowledge. This read through hit me a lot more emotionally as well. The sad parts seemed a lot sadder. Maybe its because I was taking my time with them instead of rushing through. Definitely the most rewarding fantasy series re-read for me.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Habibi posted:

Yeah it pays off in the end just like every other Erikson plotline, but the first DoD chunk and before you get the rap battle or discover the significance of the whole Snake thing is mind numbing.

Erikson certainly has a gift for making a reader slog through pages of prose with no understanding, and then capping a sequence with something so unexpected / cool / unique that it makes it all worthwhile.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

I'm rereading house of chains right now, and I'm at the part where Heboric is having his vision about the Crippled God and the jade giant, but afterward he begins to hear voices coming from a pair of characters named Cassa and Leandris. Who the gently caress are they?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I forgot how ridiculous Bonehunters got.

Kalam, then Apsalar, then Icarium all flip their poo poo, then the next chapter is Karsa smiling about the whole thing. Badass.

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot

uh zip zoom posted:

I'm rereading house of chains right now, and I'm at the part where Heboric is having his vision about the Crippled God and the jade giant, but afterward he begins to hear voices coming from a pair of characters named Cassa and Leandris. Who the gently caress are they?

TCG spoilers
Aren't they just CG worshippers trapped in the jade statue?

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
I bring news from Erikson about Fall of Light and other things:

quote:

Fall of Light has been delivered to the UK publisher. Not sure when it will be released, however.

Thanks for hanging in there.
---

The stevenerikson site is undergoing a refit and will reappear as steven-erikson.com soon (long with ian-esslemont.com, both linking to a central malazan site.

I am presently writing the next Bauchelain and Korbal Broach novella and should have it done in a couple of weeks.

Fall of Light came out at about 355 000 words: the structural issues were a bit of a red herring, as I returned to my original plan of interspersing the two story arcs, and that seems to have worked out just fine.

Hope you are well, and do convey my greetings to everyone at the forum. Following the novella, I have the next Willful Child SF novel to write, since it's due in October. All is well.

On amazon the release was pushed back to end of February 2016, so it's likely that's when we're going to see it. It depends on the publisher. Though it's odd because Esslemont's new book is also out in February.

355k wordcount is fairly hefty, same size of Memory of Ice. Instead Forge of Darkness was 295k.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Probably not the most important part of the announcement, but:

quote:

I am presently writing the next Bauchelain and Korbal Broach novella and should have it done in a couple of weeks.
Hooray! I've been rereading the necromancers' tales in the last couple days since I'm too sick to concentrate on anything too complex or unfunny and it just cemented the position of Crack'd Pot Trail as my favorite Malazan book. Really looking forward to getting more.

Stereo
Feb 27, 2014

Get rekt son
Hooray starting this series again, stopped after midnight tides last time and starting again at DHD this time as I recall gardens being dull. Which is weird as it sets up my favourite, MoI. It's gonna be a long read but I always think of the Malazan world fondly, just need to re read as there's so much to forget. +1 for Kalam and Fid

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
theres too much rape in these books

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Loosening up to comb the crumbs from their beard.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

rejutka posted:

Loosening up to comb the crumbs from their beard.

While walking over some potsherds.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Got up to about 150 pages into HoC in storm of reading the series a few months ago, but I haven't really touched it since. The Karsa intro stuff was just so different from what I expected that it kind of killed my momentum. Still planning on reading the rest of the series though.

Really need to get back to reading... I was so drat into it. Memories of ice was so awesome (except the Myhbe poo poo). Need to find my groove with it again.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The first time I read HoC I really didn't like Karsa, and the intro was torture. I'm reading it for possibly the third time now really enjoying it. I think the first time around Karsa himself was so blunt that it rubbed off on me, I stopped trying to pick up on the things Erikson wasn't shouting in my face, and trying to piece things together was one of my favourite things of the series. This time around I'm noticing all this detail I missed.

Also Memories of Ice owned so much harder than I remembered. Itkovian! :swoon: And the ending. :stare:

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Itkovian kinda obliterates Brukhalian in that book, sadly. HoC is the poo poo for the first part because Karsa. I was about done with the books because I was sick of grizzled veteran bad-asses with survivor guilt and then the first quarter of the fourth book happened. I will witness everything Karsa does ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Damo posted:

Got up to about 150 pages into HoC in storm of reading the series a few months ago, but I haven't really touched it since. The Karsa intro stuff was just so different from what I expected that it kind of killed my momentum. Still planning on reading the rest of the series though.

Really need to get back to reading... I was so drat into it. Memories of ice was so awesome (except the Myhbe poo poo). Need to find my groove with it again.

I was right there with you, but read on. Karsa became one of my favorites, and I started off just absolutely hating him.