Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
what should i order from the BYOB steakhouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat

chicken breast

joke_explainer

poo poo, my friend texted me at 6:43 AM saying 'where can I get good breakfast in yellowstone' and I slept through it... does your place even do breakfast om nom nom

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
im goig nto order the salad

what is on the byob salad

joke_explainer

Putty posted:

what should i order from the BYOB steakhouse

you should let me make you one... this was mine from a few pages back: please ignore the burnt brussell sprouts

as for salad... hmm... I made a salad I really liked a while back, though its kind of unconventional. it's a kale caesar with the kale marinated in a little bit of olive oil (breaks down the waxy coating that makes kale so thick and fibrous, which I don't always mind, but this salad was great this way.) here's the recipe from SE: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/kale-caesar-salad-recipe.html

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i made jambalaya today that i am eating presently and will talk about it soon

om nom nom

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Nova cafe in bozeman if they are going that way. My All time favorite breakfast place.All the restaurants in the park will be similarly average breakfast.

I'm out of the park and just living nearby now. Bit of a more stable life

joke_explainer

om nom nom posted:

Nova cafe in bozeman if they are going that way. My All time favorite breakfast place.All the restaurants in the park will be similarly average breakfast.

I'm out of the park and just living nearby now. Bit of a more stable life

Thank you, I recommended the Nova and they were going through Bozeman so hopefully they had a good time.

So a lot of people with home kitchens don't seem to own a pepper grinder. It seems like a lot of people either use pre-ground black pepper (don't do this, its just like flavorless dust) or buy the spice jar with the integrated grinder on it.

The integrated grinder spice jar is kind of a waste of money, and this is coming from a guy that wastes way too much money on kitchen stuff. They're also really crappy! They output a very tiny amount of pepper, take a lot of work, grind unevenly and break rapidly, and a lot of them are built so you can't refill them.

So if you are in either of those two camps, I recommend the follow products by 'Unicorn Mills', who makes the best drat pepper grinder out there.

This is the 9 inch model. It's a huge capacity pepper grinder that produces an insane amount of pepper per turn. This is good if you have like a family of 6 or something.
http://www.amazon.com/Unicorn-Magnum-Plus-Pepper-Black/dp/B0000CFB4N/

This is the smaller 6 inch model. I kept this one. This is the perfect pepper grinder for most applications for me. It grinds a huge amount of pepper very quickly with minimal effort and is easily refillable.
http://www.amazon.com/Unicorn-Magnum-Pepper-Mill-Black/dp/B0006GSR76/

This is the 'keytop'. It's a slightly smaller one with an easily wound 'key'. This one is good if you have arthritis or any hand troubles I guess, it still produces a huge amount of pepper though not as much as the magnum series. It's also a little cheaper. The micromill is even cheaper, but its just too tiny really. That's like something to take around with you to top up under-peppered salads or something.

http://www.amazon.com/Unicorn-KeyTop-Pepper-Mill-Black/dp/B0006GSXYS/

The grinders in these things are heavy duty and seemingly last pretty long. I've had mine for about a year and it sees regular use. Anyway, if you find yourself struggling to grind out the last bit of pepper from one of those integrated mills in a spice jar, go for this instead. A pound of high quality peppercorns on amazon will last a loooong time, and you'll save money in the long run, plus the speed with which you can administer pepper and the control over the way it goes on is unrivaled.

Scaly Haylie

Moo Cowabunga

[Office Worker.

hi :)

Platinum User Pot Smoke Phoenix!

VANISHER

HEATHER PAPPS

https://giant.gfycat.com/WellgroomedImperfectHaddock.webm the vanisher

alnilam

Pepper grinders are great to have, if you're put off by the prices of those nice ones you can easily find passable pepper grinders for like $10 and it will still be way better than pre ground or the non-refillable ones

Golden Gate Bride
knife to meet you
I would not pay over $10 for a goddamn pepper grinder

alnilam

On the other hand freshly grinding salt is pointless, unless you want to grind salt of varying textures, which most people who have salt grinders don't do anyway, i never got salt grinders

joke_explainer

Salt grinder is okay if you are curing meats and want to really finely grind your kosher salt I guess. I do not have one. Don't grind salt in your pepper grinder though, you'll destroy it. Salt is corrosive. And Mulli, you should try out these grinders, you'll never want to go back. Ground pepper effortlessly flows like a water tap out of these things, their output is prodigious. A lot of recipes need a lot of black pepper. Who wants to sit there all day twisting away at their little plastic nub over their salad, when you can have a powerful, large, potent black pepper dispenser who can get you what you need with a minimum of fuss. Smh.

Golden Gate Bride
knife to meet you
Yah, the one I have now is actually a lovely one so I should buy a new one but I cook usually only for two so I don't really mind. The one I own is not even a twist and grind kind of thing but this crap with these kind of bunny ears or whatever? But for salt, it's cheap so I just get different kinds of salt and don't worry about grinding.

Also, how much black pepper do you put in salad?

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Before I go into my jambalaya I would like to take a moment to recommend Better Than Bouillon broth base for everyday cooking.

Though it sure as poo poo is not a replacement for homemade chicken stock, if I need some chicken broth on demand without opening up cans or keeping boxes of partially used broth in my fridge I inevitably forget about, this is a nice go to. you can find it in most of your larger supermarkets now. It's much cheaper overall and takes up less storage space (just a small jar in the fridge). Basically it's a concentrated chicken sludge you reconstitute in hot water and use as needed in whatever amounts you like. I've used it for a long time and have found the results acceptable to good. The only thing to keep in mind is that there is more salt/sodium in it than is preferable. It's not so bad if you plan ahead with this in mind, but you can easily oversalt a dish if you fail to adjust.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

:airquote:Jambalaya:airquote:

Right. So the missus wanted Jambalaya. So Jambalaya it is(?). Jamabalaya is one of many rice dishes that is essentially rice, meat, vegetables, seasonings, and stock. When taken to that basic level most folks can think of a lot of dishes that are comprised of those ingredients. What makes Jambalaya specific by name is its focus on Creole ingredients and seasonings. The recipe I made last night diverges somewhat but is Jambalaya enough to make any argument about what to call it a quibble.

So what did I start with?

As usual, my ingredient amounts will often be vague or not pictured above

1 1/2lbs Chicken thighs (I removed the skin before cooking)
1lb Bacon cut into small 1/2"ish cubes
1lb Chorizo (The biggest diversion - Andouille sausage is traditional, but I could not find a quality Anduoille sausage in my area. I wanted something with kick and picked this up.)
Onions, Green Peppers, and Celery - the "Holy Trinity" of Creole cooking and used as the vegetable base for most dishes
Garlic
Long grain rice
One large can of diced tomatoes
3 cups of chicken broth (Better Than Bouillon was used here)

Let's talk about spices.

This is a big pot of food, so I spiced it aggressively.

2 tsps Cayenne Pepper
1 tblsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Oregano
1/2 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric
1/2 tsp Crushed Coriander seeds
2 Bay Leaves
1 Small Bundle of Fresh Thyme
Salt (Not much because I was using the Better Then Bouillon and there is lots of salt in the other ingredients)

These amounts are all still general. Basically I mixed everything in a small bowl and tasted it as I went to see if I liked it. You should do that too.

Next I missed taking some pictures, but things went like this.

Heat the oven to 350 degrees at some point.

Cook the bacon in a dutch oven on the stovetop until it is rendered and crispy. Don't cook this at too high a temperature or else you will burn the bacon like a dumb baby.

Remove the bacon.

Cook the chicken on both sides until browned. I got a little hasty turning the piece in the picture above, but everything ends up fine.

Remove the chicken.

Cook the cut up Chorizo until browned and crispy on some of the bits.

Remove the Chorizo.

Easy.

At this point you will have a lot of nice rendered and browned tasty bits all on the bottom of your pan.

Add the vegetables.

Of course you chopped up the Peppers, Onions, and Celery up prior to this point, right? Of course you did. Also add a few cloves of chopped garlic.

Now sautee all of that until things get softer and the onions translucent.

Now add the rice! I rinsed my rice prior to putting it in the pot. In general, I find I get better results for my rice if I give it a good rinse first until the water coming from it stops being cloudy.

I gave the rice in this picture some time to get coated with the fat and time in the hot pan. I have no idea if that had any effect on the final dish but it felt right at the time.

Now we dump everything into the pot.

MEAT

SPICES, BROTH, AND THAT CAN OF TOMATOES

Also I remembered I had a bunch of green onions nearby, chopped those up and threw them in as well.

Ok. Give it all a good mix and bring it to a boil on your stove top. Cover the pot.

Put the whole thing in your hot oven. Wait about 45 minutes.

Tasty food!

ron color
rip whoever ate the twist-tie

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

it's just string and was fished out you are referring to the thyme bundle because if not :ohdear:

joke_explainer

bouquet garni, very common way to get fresh herbs flavoring a dish without actually having pieces of the fresh herbs leftover in the dish afterwards. you just discard after it's given up all its flavor

om nom nom

Mulli posted:

I would not pay over $10 for a goddamn pepper grinder

I paid a good deal more than :10bux: for mine but it is cherrywood and there are 7 coarseness (coarsocity?) settings and I am obsessed.

Bo I love you. Also I made jambalaya at the restaurant a couple of days ago in a very similar fashion, only bigger

om nom nom fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 24, 2015

joke_explainer

That's a very nice looking mill!

Golden Gate Bride
knife to meet you

om nom nom posted:

I paid a good deal more than :10bux: for mine but it is cherrywood and there are 7 coarseness (coarsocity?) settings and I am obsessed.

Bo I love you. Also I made jambalaya at the restaurant a couple of days ago in a very similar fashion, only bigger

I'll be honest, It is a beautiful mill.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

I could never get excited over pepper grinders. I have a six dollar ikea grinder with ceramic workings that has always done me well.

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
the horrors of well-done steak

joke_explainer

Bo-Pepper posted:

I could never get excited over pepper grinders. I have a six dollar ikea grinder with ceramic workings that has always done me well.

The only reason I bought a semi-fancy one was because of dealing with a crappy disposable one wearing out and struggling to get sufficient pepper, this has completely eliminated that problem. So if what you have works, great. If anyone else has any complaints about it, consider picking an actual mill of some sort up, I doubt you'll regret it... :)

Golden Gate Bride
knife to meet you

Putty posted:

the horrors of well-done steak

I know right, I always gently caress them up and they come out medium rare

Golden Gate Bride
knife to meet you
Best meat I have everyone eaten was raw, true story

joke_explainer

Mulli posted:

Best meat I have everyone eaten was raw, true story

i'm assuming it was a tartare? or are you not talking about beef

medium rare, like... 129-134 is like the perfect temperature. in blind taste tests most people that claim to prefer rare or blue often will vote the medium rare as the tastiest of the bunch. its necessary to actually render the fat to keep it from being just a rubbery unchewable mess in the steak.

Golden Gate Bride
knife to meet you
raw reindeer tenderloin (?), with some oil, salt and black pepper. Yummy.

joke_explainer

tenderloin is a good pick because its so lean, no fat to render. so I believe you... for now...

om nom nom

Bo-Pepper posted:

I love it but it was also kinda a status thing from when I was working at a French bistro in Scottsdale, AZ. The meat and fish cooks, who are top of the food chain in the brigade, all had our own pepper mills, which we filled with white pepper for fish and chicken. We used too much black pepper for steaks to grind to order but we did roast and crush black peppercorns every day for service.

Miss Psychosis

joke_explainer posted:

Salt grinder is okay if you are curing meats and want to really finely grind your kosher salt I guess. I do not have one. Don't grind salt in your pepper grinder though, you'll destroy it. Salt is corrosive. And Mulli, you should try out these grinders, you'll never want to go back. Ground pepper effortlessly flows like a water tap out of these things, their output is prodigious. A lot of recipes need a lot of black pepper. Who wants to sit there all day twisting away at their little plastic nub over their salad, when you can have a powerful, large, potent black pepper dispenser who can get you what you need with a minimum of fuss. Smh.

So uhhh..... Do you write erotica as well or just very vivid descriptions of seasonings?

fuck. marry. t-rex

Just gonna come right out and say it- that post makes me horny for cock

Not sure about the kosher salt grinder metaphor however...

I have a "kosher salt grinder" myself and have always been pleased whether cooking for myself or guests

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

you should hear about what he puts on his jerked chicken

joke_explainer

Miss Psychosis posted:

So uhhh..... Do you write erotica as well or just very vivid descriptions of seasonings?

I'm glad somebody noticed the phrasing within the post, I was worried people entirely missed it or just thought it was too crass to comment on

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

joke_explainer posted:

I'm glad somebody noticed the phrasing within the post, I was worried people entirely missed it or just thought it was too crass to comment on

Great conversationalist - check
hella smart - check
cooks really well - check
can write beautifully - check

you're a hell of a catch for someone!

joke_explainer

meteloides posted:

Great conversationalist - check
hella smart - check
cooks really well - check
can write beautifully - check

you're a hell of a catch for someone!

you're such a sweetheart met :)

shabbat goy

I went to the Best Pizza Place in Picksburgh the other day and since they specialize in vegan and vegetarian stuff, I got my regular order which is a buffalo seitan (satan) hoagie. Then I remembered that alnilam posted a seitan recipe earlier in the thread so I decided to try it out.

I started with the hoagie rolls first since they need time to rest after baking. The recipe is really simple and makes a nice crunchy crust with a pretty light and soft inside.

1 cup water
1.5 tsp active dry yeast
3 cups all purpose flour (or bread flour, it doesn't seem to matter much)
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil

Note that I did everything volumetrically since I'm not allowed to have a digital scale as a condition of my probation.

Add the yeast to the water (warm) and mix it up a bit. Let it proof if that's your thing, maybe 10 minutes.

Combine the dry ingredients and mix them up. Add the oil and then the yeast water mixture and mix it until it starts to form a nice dough. Sprinkle a little flour on your work surface and knead it for ~5 minutes, until it's a nice smooth and elastic ball. It should hold its shape well and be just a little sticky. Add flour to the surface if it's too sticky, but don't knead it too much.

Put it in a bowl with a little oil on the surface and let rise in a warm area until double in size, about 1h. Punch it down, knead it for a minute, and then slice it in to 3 or 4 pieces. Shape one of them into a cat, and the others, make into long-ish loaves. These were about a foot long.

Bake for 25-30 minutes at 375*F. To make them a little crunchier, throw ~1/4 cup water into the oven before closing the door to make a very humid atmosphere. Watch for the steam, it will burn you and it will hurt.

Take them out when they look something like this:

Let them rest for a while before you eat or use them. Should give you enough time to make the seitan.

I used a slightly different recipe than the one al posted. Here's what I used:

2 cups vital wheat gluten
2 tsp assorted spices. (I used onion powder, old bay, and chili powder, but you can use whatever you want!)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp sesame oil (not necessary, but gives it a nice flavor.)

Mix these all together and 1.75 cups COLD water, since adding too warm of water to dough that's just vital wheat gluten can do weird things to the texture. I put it in a measuring cup and let it sit in my fridge for 20 minutes before mixing up the dry ingredients.

After adding the water, stir it with your hands. It will form a doughy ball really quickly, so knead it for maybe a minute or two. After that. plop it on your work surface, cut it into shapes or in this case, large loaves, and let it rest for a little while.

Bring some stock to a boil (I used some chicken stock that I had, you could use veggie stock if you felt like keeping it vegetarian) and plop in your seitan. Reduce it to a simmer, cover the pot, and let it cook for a half hour. The flavor of the stock should infuse into the seitan in this time, and make them a bit heartier flavor-wise.

After a half hour, strain the mixture and let the seitan cool. Slice it into thin-ish chunks and toss it in a frying pan with a generous amount of butter. Fry it until the surface gets a bit crispy and browned. At that point, toss in a good splash of buffalo sauce and get all the pieces coated.

Slice your roll in half length-wise, spread some butter on both ends, and put your seitan chunks on the roll. I covered them with slices of pepper jack.

Turn your oven to broil and place your sandwich in to get the cheese nice and melted and the roll soft and crispy on the outside. It should only take a few minutes, so watch it carefully.

Take it out, top it with lettuce and tomato and anything else you want, plus another splash of buffalo sauce.

Cut in half and serve with pickles and chips.

Seitan is really good, and you should all try it (whether you make it from scratch or not.) Come to PGH and we'll go to Spak Bros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

Looks delicious! I'm now excited about trying some seitan.

Great work on the bread. Looksvlike a great hoagie roll. We don't have enough bakers in the thread, would be great to see more.