Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

LSD CURES JUNKIES posted:

I mostly wanted to know if they could refile the charge.

No the junkies got the warrant,not the city.

But thanks you guys for the information.

Where do you live that private citizens get warrants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
I'm such a tool.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

In Virginia private citizens can swear out warrants in front of the magistrate. When I was a cop we used to occasionally refer bullshit calls and mutual combat to the magistrate.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FrozenVent posted:

I'm coming at you bro.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

... given your description of the first set of charges.

I seriously doubt that description.

sever

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

If driver A runs driver B off the road and driver B runs over granny smith's mailbox, would granny go after A for damages because he caused it, or B because he did it?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

The real answer is whatever party has the most money and is therefore most likely to make granny whole.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

SkunkDuster posted:

If driver A runs driver B off the road and driver B runs over granny smith's mailbox, would granny go after A for damages because he caused it, or B because he did it?

Assuming A stopped and admitted fault, A. In the real world, B. Unless, as HDD91 pointed out, A is loaded.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

SkunkDuster posted:

Granny parachute account spotted!

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
In a criminal case, would a lawyer be allowed to introduce a defendant's refusal or acceptance of a polygraph test as part of his case? I don't mean the test results, but the actual fact of refusal or acceptance. "Joe Defendant repeatedly refused to submit to a polygraph test," or, "Joe offered numerous times to take a polygraph test."

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

welp

my mother (and roommate) has lost it. How do I protect myself and my stuff from eviction and am I entitled to the back child support she is getting? posted:

I am 21 and I live with my mother. I go to college, which I took a loan out for, and work a job so I am rarely home but it is still my home. I've lived there well past the amount of time to establish residency in my state (OH). I pay rent in the amount of $100 a month for my room, to pitch in for other things. She makes me pay by the 5th of every month so my understanding is that this makes me a paying tenant.

We haven't gotten along lately because she wants to sell the house and move. I don't agree with her decision to move. It isn't even her house, it is my father's house. They've been divorced for 16 years and he bought and added on to that house and wants it back.

I am trying to figure out what my rights are as renter for her attempting to sell the house. She constantly has people in and out showing the house, including my room and bathroom. She hired a cleaning company to come in and clean my room (they moved everything around) without notifying me.

She is making updates to the house and will have people over banging on walls and outside working on things at all hours of the day/night.

She has recently had to have the air conditioner replaced on my area of the house and I was out of air for almost 3 weeks. Her suggestion was that I " rent a hotel room or move out." if I was unhappy with her progress.

She hasn't given me a notice yet to move nor do we have a signed lease.

She collects a ridiculous amount monthly in child support from my father. It is suppose to be back child support that he owes but I am 21 now so none of it is going to me. None of it has ever gone to me. She constantly buys herself new things, won't pay for my college, etc. When I was 16 and was suppose to be getting a car my father begged her to allot some of the child support money to getting me a car so I could get to class and be independent but she refused saying it was hers to do with what she saw fit. I walked, biked, and caught rides to school for the better part of 6 years while she used the money on her things.

She wants to move to Arizona to be with her new boyfriend and for her new job and that is fine. I want her to go but the house is paid for, I live there, and the amount in child support my dad owes me that goes to my mother could be used by me to pay for that house so I can continue living there. I might even let my dad live with me because he is having a hard time.
I tried to contact the court about forgiving my father's debt to me for child support because he asked me to but they said my dad and I would need a lawyer. Which we can't afford.

So, what options do I have here?

Questions:

Do I have the same tenant rights where she has to give me notice to enter my room and can I deny her? What about the air conditioning and the noise?

How do I go about either getting the back child support payments transferred to me or forgiven?

Does my mother have to give me 30 days to vacate or longer?

She recently installed cameras without asking or telling me. They record the front, back door, windows around the house and (since we've had a break in) the kitchen (with the french doors) and my patio doors that lead outside from my bedroom. The camera technically would be able to record me doing things on my patio. The patio I pay to use. Did she have to notify me first? Do I have any say?

And just a general question. Can I sue her for missus of child support funds? Or can my dad demand receipts for stuff she is buying? I am hoping there is just a form we can file in court when we go pro se
thanks for the help guys!

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/3a1bhu/my_mother_and_roommate_has_lost_it_how_do_i/

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Depends on the value of the poopsock collection the cleaning crew threw out.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Ah yes, child support, which of course is to go directly into the pocket of the child.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Centripetal Horse posted:

In a criminal case, would a lawyer be allowed to introduce a defendant's refusal or acceptance of a polygraph test as part of his case? I don't mean the test results, but the actual fact of refusal or acceptance. "Joe Defendant repeatedly refused to submit to a polygraph test," or, "Joe offered numerous times to take a polygraph test."

I think "no" as to both, but I'm going to ask around. I do know that there are some states where the test results are never admissible, and other states where the results are admissible if both parties stipulate to their admission; there may be a state by state difference in the answer to your question.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Ah yes, child support, which of course is to go directly into the pocket of the child.

well duh it's CHILD support

as an aside r/legaladvice new is now my homepage

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

FordPRefectLL posted:

well duh it's CHILD support

as an aside r/legaladvice new is now my homepage

Basically my friend's girlfriend of five years had sex with this other dude (they're in an open relationship but he was friends with this particular guy) and now he wants to hold said guy down and pry out some of his front teeth. Let's say this ended up happening, how much jail time would he be looking at?
Edit: This is Indiana

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
What does he want to use to pry the teeth out with?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
That's a good question, pliers seem far too gauche.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

pathetic little tramp posted:

Basically my friend's girlfriend of five years had sex with this other dude (they're in an open relationship but he was friends with this particular guy) and now he wants to hold said guy down and pry out some of his front teeth. Let's say this ended up happening, how much jail time would he be looking at?

So you can gently caress other people, just don't actually gently caress other people. Got it! What a great thing to be a part of, can I sign up?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
polyamory: the relationship decision for broken people to break things more

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
This one's just sad:

quote:

[MI] Patrol Cops take cans of Soda regularly from my Brother's Grocery shop without paying. When asking for payment they just laugh it off. Help me fight off those bullies. What to do?

Mostly for the advice. People are saying "Call it in as an armed robbery because they have guns." No one is offering the truth of "You can report it to someone higher but let's be honest here, they're the police and will not give a poo poo and you are hosed."

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

This one's just sad:

Mostly for the advice. People are saying "Call it in as an armed robbery because they have guns." No one is offering the truth of "You can report it to someone higher but let's be honest here, they're the police and will not give a poo poo and you are hosed."

Put in a camera, give it to local news station, enjoy media frenzy.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Kalman posted:

That'll probably stop the theft, but it won't make the cops very friendly, and then golly it always seems to take them just a few extra minutes if they ever need to respond there, etc.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Aggravated Battery, 3-16 years.

What an amateur. He needs to step up his game:

quote:

BG remembers that on July 4, 2003, he voluntarily ingested several of what Skinner described as “the Eucharist,” believing that the Catholic communion wafers that Skinner provided would be laced with LSD, as on previous occasions when Skinner had given them to G. G expected that the wafers would cause him to “trip,” but instead he was rendered completely unconscious. G testified that his next memory was of waking up naked on the hotel bathroom floor, with his hands, legs, and mouth duct-taped, and with Skinner standing over him, kicking him in the groin area as hard as he could and saying, “You should never have touched my fiancée; you should never have touched my fiancée.” G remembers that he eventually passed out during this assault and that when he woke up, Skinner was kneeling over him with a hypodermic needle, injecting something into his penis. G’s comprehension then got “extremely blurry,” and he has very few clear memories of the incredible torture that he was subjected to over the next four days at the Tulsa Doubletree and then at a Houston area motel after that.

Evidence presented at trial established that the torture at the Tulsa hotel included numerous and repeated injections by Skinner into G’s penis, testicles, buttocks, and other parts of his body, with the apparent dual purpose of permanently disabling and disfiguring G sexually and of keeping him in a prolonged state of unconsciousness, while he was being physically, sexually, and emotionally assaulted by Skinner. Skinner also brutally punched and kicked G in the genitals, lifted G’s unconscious body up off the bed by grabbing him at the base of his genitals, and wrapped a phone cord about G’s penis, put his foot on G’s stomach, and jerked until he heard “the cartilage snap.”
http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=455109

Downside: Life +90 years

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

joat mon posted:

Assuming A stopped and admitted fault, A. In the real world, B. Unless, as HDD91 pointed out, A is loaded.

Yes. More typically, B gets sued and B can bring A into the suit. B probably screwed up and made an excuse. A probably doesn't exist. If A does exist, then the story is more interesting because people rarely run one another off the road for no reason at all.

Succinctly, B is either lying or only telling a little bit of the story.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Jfc, joat mon, jfc

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

That'll probably stop the theft, but it won't make the cops very friendly, and then golly it always seems to take them just a few extra minutes if they ever need to respond there, etc.

Up to him if that's worth stopping petty theft.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

patentmagus posted:

Yes. More typically, B gets sued and B can bring A into the suit. B probably screwed up and made an excuse. A probably doesn't exist. If A does exist, then the story is more interesting because people rarely run one another off the road for no reason at all.

This is common enough that it has its own term: "phantom vehicle accident."

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Kalman posted:

As someone who used to be a supervisor on a police force: Film it. Get you asking the cops to pay for it and them laughing at you and walking out. Then get an appointment with their precinct lieutenant (shouldn't be that far from you) and detail all of this + video/audio. Also, keep a log of the dates and times of the thefts with the officers names.

I would be willing to bet that this officer, or officers, are the station dirt bags and the lieutenant will kiss you on the lips for giving him what he needs to fire them.

However, if the lieutenant is a dirtbag too, give it to the local media*.

*Every reasonably sized city has a certain news team that the cops do not like because they report on them. Find and use that news team.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

blarzgh posted:

I think "no" as to both, but I'm going to ask around. I do know that there are some states where the test results are never admissible, and other states where the results are admissible if both parties stipulate to their admission; there may be a state by state difference in the answer to your question.

My gut reaction was also, "no," but I am not remotely a lawyer. I'd be curious about the answers in different states, though.

Strict Liability
Jun 9, 2014

joat mon posted:

Aggravated Battery, 3-16 years.

What an amateur. He needs to step up his game:

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=455109

Downside: Life +90 years

Holy gently caress. I just followed that link and read the opinion. Reads like a real life version of the movie Blue Velvet; the Skinner dude sounds just like the Dennis Hopper character Frank Booth.

Again... holy gently caress.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

patentmagus posted:

I have a 50 mile daily commute on country roads. Last week, an oncoming car started to pass a slow moving tractor and we would have hit head-on, but he saw me and tucked back in behind the tractor and everybody went on their merry way. It just got me thinking about what would have happened if I had to hit the ditch to avoid him and plowed into Farmer Bob's fence.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

A couple of weeks ago he painted his fence bright red. It doesn't go with the color of his house at all and it's been an eyesore. There's no homeowner's association to make rules about this kind of thing so anybody can basically make their house any color no matter what. A couple of days ago I just had a bad day at work and was still feeling pretty steamed. I really shouldn't have looked out the window and looked at that annoying red fence. for some reason i got really mad and decided to do something about it. so i got some white paint, poured some in a tray, stuck my bare rear end in the paint and then walked over to his house and pressed it up against his fence. a few hours later he gets home and knocks on my door. he asks me if i knew anything about it to which i said i didn't. he then told me he knew it was me since the mark on the fence looked like rear end cheeks that were too large to be from a mischievious teenager or child. THEN he told me to pull down my pants so he could see if there was paint there. i had showered earlier so there wasn't, but i obviously told him "No." then he said he was calling his attorney. i haven't heard back from him. should I call an attorney myself or is he just bluffing? EDIT: I live in tennessee

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

A couple of weeks ago he painted his fence bright red. It doesn't go with the color of his house at all and it's been an eyesore. There's no homeowner's association to make rules about this kind of thing so anybody can basically make their house any color no matter what. A couple of days ago I just had a bad day at work and was still feeling pretty steamed. I really shouldn't have looked out the window and looked at that annoying red fence. for some reason i got really mad and decided to do something about it. so i got some white paint, poured some in a tray, stuck my bare rear end in the paint and then walked over to his house and pressed it up against his fence. a few hours later he gets home and knocks on my door. he asks me if i knew anything about it to which i said i didn't. he then told me he knew it was me since the mark on the fence looked like rear end cheeks that were too large to be from a mischievious teenager or child. THEN he told me to pull down my pants so he could see if there was paint there. i had showered earlier so there wasn't, but i obviously told him "No." then he said he was calling his attorney. i haven't heard back from him. should I call an attorney myself or is he just bluffing? EDIT: I live in tennessee

Source your quotes.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I wasn't wearing my glasses and initially misread 'fence' as 'face'. It significantly improved the story, highly recommend.

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat
Before I hit up the Oregon Bar lawyer referral service, if anyone has a referral for a family law attorney in the Portland area I'd appreciate a PM.

Zombones
Oct 17, 2004
A second DUI in Connecticut is considered a felony with a minimum mandatory 4 months of jail. If a person was licensed and registered in a different state, hours away, and returned to that state prior to their trial, how severe would be consequences be?

I had heard from a lawyer that the issuing state would have to send someone to get the person and only if they had been arrested and the warrant had shown up. But that the likelyhood of that happening was slim to none.

I guess what I'm asking is if that is true and how bad of an idea would it be to flee

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

So person A was arrested in Connecticut and charged with a DUI. Person A then wants to return to state S and ignore the charges in Connecticut?

That is a bad idea.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

That is a bad idea.
No, if he makes it over the county line before the sheriff catches him then the crime doesn't count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

quote:

If you are throwing a little party somewhere outside, you have the sound speakers in your car for the music, then someone goes to look at your equipment in the car so you take out your gun and tell him to get away from the car but he starts acting touch and thinks you wont shoot him so he steps closer to you and wants to take your gun away from you so you have no other choice but to shoot him.. and theres lots of witnesses to what happened. I don't feel the killer is guilty in this case but I'm sure he would go to prison for this right?

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/3apvj6/what_happens_if_you_shoot_someone_who_didnt_think/

The guy's responses are great too.