Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
I tried to optimize !Call on my practice run.

Then I hit Archaeoaevis with WHM/SMN/GEO and had to backtrack and buy Chocobo because it's the only available source of damage for the final form.

:smith:

(Besides, Syldra just slaughters everything. Throw a couple Dragon Powers at your Summoner and watch 'er deal 8K+ to all targets for 16MP a whack.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Summoner/Summoner/Samurai/Samurai.

I appreciate the easy run Gilgabot but a little bit of variety would be nice.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Shout out to Chaotic Neutral for getting me to figure out how to make this possible:

quote:

<@Ashel> .mcalc 29 40 chicken 50
<@CarbyBot> Level 29, 40 Strength and 50 Agility gives Chicken Knife M of 22. To get a bonus M, you need to reach level 33 for Strength, 31 for Agility!
<@Ashel> .mcalc 31 40 chicken 50
<@CarbyBot> Level 31, 40 Strength and 50 Agility gives Chicken Knife M of 23. To get a bonus M, you need to reach level 33 for Strength, 34 for Agility!

<@Ashel> .mcalc 26 48 knife 15
<@CarbyBot> Level 26, 48 Strength and 15 Agility gives Knife M of 12. To reach the next M, you need to hit level 27! (got a bonus Agi M - you LOSE it at level 35)

So yeah, Carbybot will tell you when you get your next multiplier now (including both halves of the Chicken Knife/Rune weapons), and can compute for knives' bonus M from agility. :toot:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Wipe 4 on Biblos. Not helped by throwing Aero spells and Ice Rods at him. :negative:

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Fire Crystal update:

Black Mage/Red Mage/Bard

not sure how to feel about this....but i'm hype :dance:

edit: oh actually question, since i don't have Bard yet, do I have to use at least one Freelancer until I get it or can i stick with combinations of the first 2 jobs?

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Fire Crystal update:

Black Mage/Red Mage/Bard

not sure how to feel about this....but i'm hype :dance:

edit: oh actually question, since i don't have Bard yet, do I have to use at least one Freelancer until I get it or can i stick with combinations of the first 2 jobs?

You dont use freelancers again as soon as you have jobs you can use. You just make use of your other jobs until you get the bard crystal.

Lilli fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 22, 2015

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
Note to self: trying to fight Forza and Magissa with White Mages at level 5 is stupid. Doable, but stupid.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Oh... time mage. This should end well for my first of the chaosberserker class picks. Time to finish my first fiesta maybe.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Lilli posted:

You dont usw freelancers again as soon as you have jobs you can use. You just make use of your other jobs until you get the bard crystal.

Cool, just confirming whether or not I had to use Freelancer as a stand-in until I picked up the other two crystals.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

After the Earth Crystal last night, I found that my last job is Dancer. It ain't Chemist, but Sword Dance is not to be scoffed out (I suppose) when the RNG treats you right.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
So for the stretch of the game until I hit the water crystal, with an all Black Mage party, are there any clever strategies or should I just go full rod breaking crazy?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Dareon posted:

e: I've kinda forgotten the actual plot flow, I am supposed to just go "That wall blocking the way to the Ancient Library is gone now, let's go exploring!" right?

If you talk to Cid at the Fire Ship, he'll be super depressed and move into the Karnak pub. One of the patrons there mentions that Cid's grandson is at the library, so that's your plot hook.

ComposerGuy posted:

What's the general strat for Summoner? (I have Knight/Summoner so far). I'd like Call! to be useful I think, which I imagine involves passing up some optional summons. What's the best way to optimize?

Just use this opportunity to get every summon. It's a fun little sidequest, and they all have at least some situational use.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Prison Warden posted:

So for the stretch of the game until I hit the water crystal, with an all Black Mage party, are there any clever strategies or should I just go full rod breaking crazy?

Considering you get a grand total of one Frost Rod before the Water Crystal, my advice would be to cast black magic at stuff.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Edward_Tohr posted:

Considering you get a grand total of one Frost Rod before the Water Crystal, my advice would be to cast black magic at stuff.

You can get as many flame rods as you're willing to farm from the Ricard Mages inside Walse Tower. :eng101:

I usually get a full set just to rodboost Fires for Garula (to make it faster).

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Kyrosiris posted:

You can get as many flame rods as you're willing to farm from the Ricard Mages inside Walse Tower. :eng101:

I usually get a full set just to rodboost Fires for Garula (to make it faster).

Now I just feel like an idiot. :v:

Speaking of things I just learned, !Aim can still proc weapon specials. And this is the first year I can give Equip Axes to a Ranger. :getin:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Black Mage/Berserker/Ninja so far. It's been so long since I tried playing V, and I never made it all that far anyway, so it's taking me a minute.

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

Sitting on Black Mage/Summoner so far. It's like the game just doesn't want me to have any mp, but whatever.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

So the ios version has some difference.

First off berserkers start at the proper place on their atb bar. The first attack no long takes days. :black101:

Berserkers also target the default target. I think this helps with sandworm but makes sol cannon harder.

Auto battles fucks you up during timed events. I think it increases the speed of battle by 5x. However attacks still go at normal speed but the timer is still going 5x as fast. So while it only took me 5 hits to end the battle, the timer counted for 25 attacks.

And for some reason the blue magic spell vampire cannot hit bosses anymore.

senseinobu
Jul 28, 2008
Welp I wound up with Mystic Knight, Dragoon, Chemist, and Dancer. Any advice?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Shwqa posted:

And for some reason the blue magic spell vampire cannot hit bosses anymore.

The GBA version introduced a new bug with Vampire (it damages/heals for 100% of missing health instead of 50%).

When they fixed it, they made it not work against Heavy targets, for whatever reason - someone probably saw that it did percentage damage and didn't realize it worked on your health and not theirs. So there are a few bosses you can hit with it, and a few normal enemies you can't; it definitely is a lot more restrictive.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

senseinobu posted:

Laugh.

No, seriously, MK is drat good on its own, and people who aren't me will expound on the virtues of Chemist until they're blue in the face.

I guess level up a bit so your dancer won't be instagibbed by the final boss?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

senseinobu posted:

Congratulations on your win.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, I just finished the Fire Ship. All my jobs are Berserkers. How do I beat the Sandworm other than getting something from the job fair or just trusting to luck?
And for that matter, Byblos/library?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Is there anything that I can catch in World 1 that would help on Soul Cannon with Berserker, Beastmaster and Geomancer?

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Hmm, how does it work for Chaos/Natural?

My first job was time mage, does that mean that Butz could be stuck as a Free Lancer the whole game? That's not as fun as I had hoped it would be :saddowns:

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

MaskedHuzzah posted:

Okay, I just finished the Fire Ship. All my jobs are Berserkers. How do I beat the Sandworm other than getting something from the job fair or just trusting to luck?
And for that matter, Byblos/library?

I don't think there is a way to make sandworm easier as a team of berserkers.

Upside: You can just hold down turbo when you go into fights!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Free Drinks posted:

Hmm, how does it work for Chaos/Natural?

My first job was time mage, does that mean that Butz could be stuck as a Free Lancer the whole game? That's not as fun as I had hoped it would be :saddowns:

Nah, Butz is just a freelancer until Water (when you get Time Mage).

Also jesus christ to not do natural runs

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

Kyrosiris posted:

Nah, Butz is just a freelancer until Water (when you get Time Mage).

Also jesus christ to not do natural runs

I honestly didn't mean to. I don't even really remember wanting to or typing it in. I think I mistook it for meaning "no other modifiers please". Oh well I guess.

Free Drinks fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 22, 2015

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer
Knight/Bard/Samurai/Dancer

Made it to Atomos before I had to go to bed last night. Good thing I just learned yesterday that none of the !Dance commands break sleep. Get !Dance on everyone, Sleep Sword, lol my way to victory in what I thought would be a tough fight when I started

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Berserker/Berserker/Samurai now. Which of course means I am all bersekers till the Earth crystal.

kick_the_penguin
Jul 8, 2012
Just got started, I've got Blue Mage as my first job with Berserker Risk active. Wish me luck.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Evil Eagle posted:

Is there anything that I can catch in World 1 that would help on Soul Cannon with Berserker, Beastmaster and Geomancer?

Sand Bears hit really hard. You can get them in the Desert of Shifting Sands.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

kick_the_penguin posted:

Just got started, I've got Blue Mage as my first job with Berserker Risk active. Wish me luck.

You already got Blue Mage. You don't need luck. :v:

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Should I do anything with the fire ship or should I go crash it?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

so yeah chaos lets you get dupes

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Doctor Goat posted:

Should I do anything with the fire ship or should I go crash it?

You can get the Blitz Whip and Mage Masher from Jachol and its cave, that's about it though I think. Once you crash the ship you can go loot Tycoon with the black chocobo that you'll find, as well as capture Ramuh.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

mrRedWhite posted:

Neo Exdeath was a nightmare though. I had to rely on break to kill the almagast part, and on my last attempt it hit first thing.

For reference, you can catch Movers where you fight Necrophobe and release them for Delta Attack against the Almagest part which has a much higher chance of hitting than Break I believe.

So Sandworm wasn't TOO painful, the Berserkers got in a couple of lucky hits, and I only had to use one of my Elixirs.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Brannock posted:

Once you crash the ship you can go loot Tycoon with the black chocobo that you'll find.

You can also loot Tycoon with the Wind Drake that you get well before the ship, though that's more advice for future runs at this point. :v:

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
I got to Fire last night and my loadout is Knight/Red Mage/Bard so far which is... okay? I haven't had any trouble with anything yet.
I'm going to miss having a second tanky hit-mans to carry me through fights when I get the Earth crystal though :sigh:

I guess I can just slap use harp or sing on my red mage and have it actually be useful lategame?
Also since I rolled Knight the "beginner's guide" thing says I might actually want to do Brave Blade vs Chicken Knife- can someone verify that? I'm sure I read someone saying brave blade blows no matter what and to always get the knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Reminder to post your NED/Shin/Omega screenshots in thread so saps like me and Mega have to give more money to sick kids!

• Locked thread