Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
The license chat reminds me of my trainer at my new job. I'm in a car with him 6-8 hours a day off and on for the last 2 weeks, and he likes to talk.

One of the things he talked about was how driving schools used to be able to grant people their licenses. After some schools were caught issuing licenses to people who hadn't done their training or who were unfit to drive, they stopped that entirely. He said business dropped by 40 percent after that. He was upset that the DMV just stopped it altogether instead of just shutting down the ones who were doing it (you know, the ones who got caught). He described the situation as "another example of government overreach," and went into a disjointed conservative-radio-libertarian diatribe about how you need some government but that's just an example of the kind of government you don't need (because it hosed with his livelihood). What the hell did he expect them to do? Keep a program going that they know for a fact was granting licenses that shouldn't have been granted while they're figuring out how to police it? What's more important, the safety of road users, or the security of his paycheck?

Now they can grant licenses again, sort of; something like 30 percent of people taking their driving school certificate to DMV to pick up their new license get tested at random, though. Would he have been happy with this system (and its attendant personnel costs) if it had come about WITHOUT having a bunch of fraudulent licenses issued and dangerous drivers put on the road? I doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RoanHorse posted:

"The government is too strict" I say while advocating that the government doles out capital punishments

Also the government needs to make gay marriage illegal.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Gravel Gravy posted:

Here we go. Dear lord

I'm Holland Oats.

Mo_Steel posted:

"People need to learn empathy! Now, when can we execute this person so that we don't have to spend money feeding him because he is a criminal?" ~A Christian

How the gently caress do you type that without blood trickling out of your nose? :psyboom:

This is the same woman who verbally lashed out against her niece when her niece called her out on avoiding the racism issue during the Baltimore riots.

I fully expect her to lose it now that I addressed racism in the last post.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

i hope a young relative of lejackal's dies in a gun accident and he does the eulogy and castigates the parents for harming the cause

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i hope a young relative of lejackal's dies in a gun accident and he does the eulogy and castigates the parents for harming the cause

Here you are wishing for a five year old to die just to get a dig on a forum poster, but I'm the scumbag?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I hope no one LeJackal knows ever gets put in a situation where a gun could possibly result in a better outcome.

Edit: And I hope the worst that anyone you know experiences is a scary close call with a negligent discharge.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I hope no one LeJackal knows ever gets put in a situation where a gun could possibly result in a better outcome.

Edit: And I hope the worst that anyone you know experiences is a scary close call with a negligent discharge.

Too late. My life is rife with points where the presence of guns resulted in a better outcome.

It'd be neat if I had been born that privileged though.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

WoodrowSkillson posted:

We can hopefully do without wishing personal tragedy befalls people for their political beliefs, even if we think those beliefs are wrong or contribute negatively to society.

I think we should heavily restrict gun ownership in America because I believe the downsides of the broad availability of firearms outweigh the upsides, something which I think LeJackal disagrees with; but I acknowledge that my life has not been the same as LeJackal's and that our differing experiences probably do a great deal to color our opinions on the subject differently as well.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

LeJackal posted:

Too late. My life is rife with points where the presence of guns resulted in a better outcome.

Dear Penthouse NRA, I never thought it would happen to me...

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

LeJackal posted:

That's obviously false, because you're still posting here.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

That's obviously false, because you're still posting here.

As much as I might disagree with other posters on political issues, I have never wished for other posters to die. That isn't a way to win hearts or minds.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I never said dead. Any outcome where you have something to do with your life other than obsessively monitor D&D for people mentioning gun control would be beneficial, really.

The Anime Turnpike
Dec 30, 2010

LeJackal posted:

As much as I might disagree with other posters on political issues, I have never wished for other posters to die. That isn't a way to win hearts or minds.

Will we need guns in the last stage of society?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
if it weren't for guns, lejackal would have no way to deal with his crippling masculine insecurity. they've made his life better, you see

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
But it made ours worse.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I literally can't walk out the door without a horde of criminals firing at me. They made a video game about me called Max Payne. You may have played it.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

I literally can't walk out the door without a horde of criminals firing at me. They made a video game about me called Max Payne. You may have played it.

I wouldn't enjoy shooting ranges NEARLY as much without guns.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Popular Thug Drink posted:

if it weren't for guns, lejackal would have no way to deal with his crippling masculine insecurity. they've made his life better, you see

Oh no but you see his insecurity is free from gender signifiers. His love for the gun is not rooted in phallic or yonic imagery.

All I can tell is that it is overwhleming.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

LeJackal posted:

It'd be neat if I had been born that privileged though.

So...they're your masturbation aids?

Hey man, whatever gets you off. Just remember, not everyone needs a plug in the shape of a Smith & Wesson to enjoy themselves. Not kinkshaming, just tired of you popping in constantly to berate us for not sharing your kinks.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh no but you see his insecurity is free from gender signifiers. His love for the gun is not rooted in phallic or yonic imagery.

All I can tell is that it is overwhleming.

So you are saying that he is like the guys at the start of Zardoz? worshipping the giant flying heads vomiting guns at them.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I hope that one day posters in this thread can realize that the 2 pages of complaining about lejackal every time he posts is more annoying and disruptive than his post.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

TerminalSaint posted:

I hope that one day posters in this thread can realize that the 2 pages of complaining about lejackal every time he posts is more annoying and disruptive than his post.

Its pathetic, really. Two pages of "You disagree with us! We hope your family dies and also you have a small penis!" gets tiresome, quickly.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I've said it before and I'll say it again - LeJackal, shut the gently caress up.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
While the last thing I posted here was only stupid in the sense of how ignorant of history it is, this is genuinely awful:

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 22, 2015

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Gravel Gravy posted:

Here we go. Dear lord

9/11 proved that air traffic control doesn't work. Abolish the FAA and just let anyone fly wherever.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LeJackal posted:

I'm unironically curious about just what in the gently caress you're talking about here. Unless you're the unluckiest man alive and have needed to repel potential murderers like 50 times I honestly can't figure out what you could possibly be referring to by "points where the presence of guns resulted in a better outcome."

The only thing I can think of where what you're saying makes sense is if you were infantry in the military, but that wouldn't really be related to the general topic of civilians owning firearms.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

I'm unironically curious about just what in the gently caress you're talking about here. Unless you're the unluckiest man alive and have needed to repel potential murderers like 50 times I honestly can't figure out what you could possibly be referring to by "points where the presence of guns resulted in a better outcome."

The only thing I can think of where what you're saying makes sense is if you were infantry in the military, but that wouldn't really be related to the general topic of civilians owning firearms.

If memory serves me correctly, LeJackal has stated that he has been attacked before for his sexual orientation, and that possession of a firearm has protected him in such situations before. I don't know the details, and to me I still think the downsides are greater than the upsides, but I can acknowledge that if I were persecuted for who I am on a routine basis I might feel differently than I do as a white straight male. Maybe then to me solutions to gun crime would be less simply about the availability of guns and more about systematic poverty and disenfranchisement on a societal level, had I experienced on a personal level how a firearm could be useful as a minority protecting themselves from a belligerent other.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Mo_Steel posted:

If memory serves me correctly, LeJackal has stated that he has been attacked before for his sexual orientation, and that possession of a firearm has protected him in such situations before. I don't know the details, and to me I still think the downsides are greater than the upsides, but I can acknowledge that if I were persecuted for who I am on a routine basis I might feel differently than I do as a white straight male. Maybe then to me solutions to gun crime would be less simply about the availability of guns and more about systematic poverty and disenfranchisement on a societal level, had I experienced on a personal level how a firearm could be useful as a minority protecting themselves from a belligerent other.

Then again I don't think gay people getting shot by police for brandishing a wallet is a thing, so if that's his comparison it's pretty poor.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

LeJackal posted:

Good. I'm glad you're safe and that there is a tool that helped protect you from danger. Seriously.

I have only been in one situation where a gun could have been used, and for me, personally, adding gun into the mix would have made things substantially worse. The restaurant I was working in was robbed at gunpoint during close. The man had a drawn handgun. Long story short, the owner and a friend were in the building still but failed to look at the bank of monitors showing every corner of the restaurant. Just adding two extra people into the mix seems like it could have been lethally dangerous, and the prospect of adding an additional, opposed firearm into the mix would only have turned the situation into a tragedy. This is my one encounter with active firearms in a civilian setting. This has colored my opinion to think that guns will rarely ever solve a problem, but will often exacerbate one. Thanks!

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I finally had to just post this to a "GLBTS" FB group that I belong to after seeing several negative posts towards Caitlyin Jenner, including actual bullshit that has been posted here by Liberal Logic.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jun 22, 2015

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I once met somebody who was bedridden, spastic, and all sorts of hosed up in general because her brother had accidentally shot her in the head when they were kids.

Guns are bad.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Chimera-gui posted:

While the last thing I posted here was only stupid in the sense of how ignorant of history it is, this is genuinely awful:

Who'll be the Vice Prison, though?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Wanamingo posted:

I once met somebody who was bedridden, spastic, and all sorts of hosed up in general because her brother had accidentally run over her head when they were kids.

Cars are bad.

Good point. Outlaw them all.

Wanamingo posted:

I once met somebody who was bedridden, spastic, and all sorts of hosed up in general because her brother had accidentally drowned her when they were kids.

Bathtubs are bad.

Agreed. Shower supremacy!

Wanamingo posted:

I once met somebody who was bedridden, spastic, and all sorts of hosed up in general because her brother had accidentally burned her when they were kids.

Fire is bad.

We never should have invented that stuff!

Seriously, though, your posts reminded me of some things some of my relatives are posting.

Bonus! A poorly copy-pasted email from my grandfather in response to sending him an e-card.

My racist grandfather who I am pretty sure was a member of the Klan posted:

For many years, the term “white privilege” has been bantered about in academia, the press, and in select governmental agencies. Now it has begun to enter public consciousness.

The term “white privilege” appears to be the rallying cry of whites of privilege rather than a reality of privilege for all whites. The label discriminates horrifically against poor whites who will never know the “white privilege” they are told that they benefit from.

White privilege allegations distract from the issues of poverty and lack of quality education for poor Americans regardless of race.

The term “white privilege” became famous with the publication of the article, “White Privilege – Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack” by Peggy McIntosh in 1988. It has been further explained and publicized in Paula Rothenberg’s book called White Privilege.

White privilege is loosely defined as “societal privileges that benefit white people in western countries beyond what is commonly experienced by the non-white people under the same social, political, or economic circumstances.”

When white people attempt to debunk the theory of white privilege they have been met with claims of racism and of being ill informed.

In the research done on claims of white privilege four recurring themes show up,

Gina Crosley-Corcoran wrote the following when after she questioned white privilege since she grew up poor and this was her analysis and thought process when she saw the light.

“After one reads McIntosh's powerful essay, it's impossible to deny that being born with white skin in America affords people certain unearned privileges in life that people of another skin color simple are not afforded. For example:

"I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented."
"When I am told about our national heritage or about “civilization,” I am shown that people of my color made it what it is."
"If a traffic cop pulls me over or if the IRS audits my tax return, I can be sure I haven’t been singled out because of my race."
"I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time."

Unfortunately, with any the theory that has a basic premise that is false, the theory will achieve a life of its own if it is not questioned.

The claim made by the media, race peddlers, and academia that all people who are white are privileged is an absolutely absurd assertion.

For instance, with affirmative action programs today president and Mrs. Obama’s children will qualify as a minority for preferential admission to a university because of race. My grandchildren, because they are white, will be denied that same consideration because they are white.

The perception that it is the person’s color that is the only basis of privilege is frequently bantered about in academic institutions and other areas where privilege exists that most citizens do not have. In an academic institution, affirmative action programs start with the premise that all persons of race are less fortunate than all persons who are white.

In all the arguments that were made as to how white privilege is personified, they may have been true at one time but that privilege pertained to whites of privilege and not to all whites. The difference is significant because a “white privilege” assertion as pertaining to all whites masks the base cause of lack of privilege which is poverty and lack of access to quality education to break the bounds of poverty.

Dissecting Gina Crosley-Corcoran’s arguments in favor of “white privilege”, each basic tenet fails in today’s society.

When one turns on the television the people that one sees on shows and commercials are not white.

Should a police officer pull me over, the urban legend tells me that I am treated preferentially. I would encourage you to recognize that if you are a white male in a domestic relations court you will find no similar perspective on receiving preferential treatment.

If the Internal Revenue Service sends me a letter, because I am a white conservative, I am far more likely to be mistreated than if I were of color.

The argument that I can arrange to be around people of my color is a matter for which each individual must make their own determination. It is certainly not accurate in my case.

There is an old expression that a lie that is told three times and not refuted becomes fact. White privilege assertions is that lie.

While there has been discrimination and slavery in our nation’s past, privilege exists only for the elite in academia, public sector labor unions, and government regardless of their race.

If our nation ever hopes to solve the problem of race relations, we must solve the problems of poverty, economic opportunity and access to quality education. Claiming the issue is just about race perpetuates poverty, poor educational opportunities and substandard economic opportunities for those who are poor – regardless of race.

For the vast majority of white people in this nation, they are struggling as much as people of color. Only in academia, public sector labor unions and politics is there any privilege.

Racism is stupid.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It hasn't even been a week since 9 people were killed in the latest mass shooting, god drat it, are you that loving shameless?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Wanamingo posted:

It hasn't even been a week since 9 people were killed in the latest mass shooting, god drat it, are you that loving shameless?

I wasn't the one who decided to ignore the institutionalized and socially acceptable racism that lies at the heart of the issue, choosing instead to focus on this current topic.

Where is your shame?

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 22, 2015

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fulchrum posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - LeJackal, shut the gently caress up.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
I'm Paul Itician

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

theCalamity posted:

I'm Paul Itician

Your av is LeJackal.gif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Anyone else eagerly waiting for a deluge of "Obama said friend of the family, he's the real racist" posts? No, me neither :sigh: