Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

From the same artist:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

ultrafilter posted:

From the same artist:

oh goddammit

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Silegna posted:

All of Rinoa's Angelo attacks are "what the gently caress is going on?" Angelo's limit breaks are counter intuitive as well. If you want the best ones all the time, don't learn any others. Then again this games stat system is counter intuitive.

There's only one arguably useful scenario of that and even it's debatable: you can improve the odds of Invincible Moon (or guarantee Invincible Moon if you guarantee crisis level 4) by not learning Wishing Star. On the other hand, Wishing Star's awesome and Invincible Moon is cheesy (and can be replicated with items available en masse from, of course, cards). So if you do that you're a bad person and should feel bad.

Here's the mechanics:

1. Identify crisis level. It's obviously at least 1 or Rinoa isn't using her limit at all.
2. If crisis level is 1, try to use Angelo Cannon. If 2, try to use Angelo Strike. If 3, try to use Invincible Moon. If 4, try to use Wishing Star.
3. If the move in question isn't available, go down the list to each consecutive weaker move and see if that's available.
4. What Rinoa actually uses is the first available move she encounters by this logic, with crisis level determining where she starts looking.

Angelo Cannon starts pre-learned, and as the weakest it's the last one to be checked, so it serves as the logical default in all legitimate scenarios. As for illegitimate scenarios (read: forcibly un-learning Angelo Cannon by cheating), the game will crash if it tries to move down from the unavailable Angelo Cannon to the nonexistent next weaker move.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Poulpe posted:

That's pretty much the gist, yeah.

What always bothered me about this limit is that it looks like she's giving her dog a crossbow enema. :stonk:

K-ParAdoX
Jul 12, 2004
...but.this.phone.is. always.off.it's.hook...

mauman posted:

What always bothered me about this limit is that it looks like she's giving her dog a crossbow enema. :stonk:

Or a very violent douching.

Edit: Who names a female dog "Angelo"? Oh right, it's Rinoa.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

K-ParAdoX posted:

Or a very violent douching.

Edit: Who names a female dog "Angelo"? Oh right, it's Rinoa.

They need to hammer the "Rinoa = Angel" symbolism as much as possible. It was that or make Rinoa look like David Boreanaz.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

From the same artist:

Pretty sure I just startled my dogs with how loudly I yelled "GOD DAMMIT" when I got the joke here.

Also pretty sure I should be embarrassed that it took me almost a full minute of trying to figure it out.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

They need to hammer the "Rinoa = Angel" symbolism as much as possible. It was that or make Rinoa look like David Boreanaz.

Which would definitely hammer home that Squall has to learn to love himself at least.

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010

Grinnblade posted:

Pretty sure I just startled my dogs with how loudly I yelled "GOD DAMMIT" when I got the joke here.

Also pretty sure I should be embarrassed that it took me almost a full minute of trying to figure it out.

I... I still don't get it... :smith:

Edit: I just loving got it, ugh.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Grinnblade posted:

Goons having that :aaaaa: moment ITT

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I'm gonna take pity on the people who are still looking to figure it out and don't want to post:

what is that character's name
what are they doing

no really ask yourself that before you mouseover:
Selphie taking a selfie

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 21, 2015

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Pieuvre posted:

I... I still don't get it... :smith:

Edit: I just loving got it, ugh.

I still don't. Some one tell me so at I least know how embarrassed I should be at not figuring it out on my own :lol:

EDIT: drat it, even I should have got that. I was fooled by the camera being on the back of the phone. My tablet only has one on the front.

Death Zebra fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 21, 2015

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Name the dog "Angela". Problem solved.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I think the point was that Angelo is typically a dude's name, in which case Angela or just Angel would work perfectly fine.

But honestly, not a big deal.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I know how it would have been better as Angela. I was just making a joke.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Insertnamehere31 posted:

Name the dog "Angela". Problem solved.

Great, now I'm thinking of a version of Who's the Boss? starring FFVIII characters.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I know how it would have been better as Angela. I was just making a joke.

Wasn't saying it to you, I just meant it was stupid for Square to make the female dog have a male name when a feminine equivalent is so obvious.

Then again all the names in this game are ridiculous, so I guess the dog's name isn't the biggest offender here when the main character's name is Squall Leonheart.

Insertnamehere31 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 21, 2015

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

JRPGs have a long and storied tradition of giving the protagonist ridiculous names. Squall Leonheart isn't too bad.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Namechat: I played FF8 exclusively with a buddy and under the influence of beer because no other way, really, and we decided on a stupid whim to call Squall "Apfel" (apple), ofc Rinoa then needed to be "Birne" (pear).

We lost our poo poo when we realized that the dog needed to be called "Orangelo"..
...but that doesn't fit the character limit :negative:.

K-ParAdoX
Jul 12, 2004

Insertnamehere31 posted:

Wasn't saying it to you, I just meant it was stupid for Square to make the female dog have a male name when a feminine equivalent is so obvious.
That's pretty much what I was getting at. Angel or Angela would've been fine, though the "Who's the Boss?" thing, yeaa. Flashbacks of early childhood, there. I suppose it fits in with Rinoa to completely muck it up and call the dog Angelo, which may have a little to do with why Caraway doesn't take her seriously. I've got a family member that frequently makes nonsense decisions like that and then wonders why no one will pay it any mind when they have an idea with some actual merit to it.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

K-ParAdoX posted:

That's pretty much what I was getting at. Angel or Angela would've been fine, though the "Who's the Boss?" thing, yeaa. Flashbacks of early childhood, there. I suppose it fits in with Rinoa to completely muck it up and call the dog Angelo, which may have a little to do with why Caraway doesn't take her seriously. I've got a family member that frequently makes nonsense decisions like that and then wonders why no one will pay it any mind when they have an idea with some actual merit to it.

Fair argument, and would fit in to the other level of narrative detail FFVIII expects from their audience. Still, that's hard to fully believe when you can rename her. Also, her full name is Sant' Angelo di Roma, which is an even more confusing name. A final fantasy character naming her dog after a Roman Empire era building.

K-ParAdoX
Jul 12, 2004

Insertnamehere31 posted:

Fair argument, and would fit in to the other level of narrative detail FFVIII expects from their audience. Still, that's hard to fully believe when you can rename her. Also, her full name is Sant' Angelo di Roma, which is an even more confusing name. A final fantasy character naming her dog after a Roman Empire era building.

Consider me learned'd. That... That sure is something.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Insertnamehere31 posted:

I'm sure someday we'll get something named Château de Versailles or El Nino (besides the FFVI attack)

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
They already named Laguna and Irvine after towns in California, so anything's possible.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The Steam Summer Sale Encore started today. They have the Final Fantasy franchise for 30%-50% off. VIII is 50% off, costing $5.99.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I hope this comes back. This LP made me love like deign to recognize this as something less than a complete and total piece of garbage.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Hello everyone, I'm back from my trip, so updates should resume.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

I hope this comes back. This LP made me love like deign to recognize this as something less than a complete and total piece of garbage.

Phenomenal timing.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Part Thirty-Seven: Shifting Gears

Having left the hellish environs of the D-District Prison, everyone pulls up to this intersection in the desert.

Selphie then runs over to that metal thing, whatever it is.

: What?

I think Seifer might have mentioned something, but Quistis seems to really expect Squall to know.

: That's what Rinoa heard from Irvine!

Who told Irvine? And why wasn't he in prison?

Anyway, Squall needs to take a minute to think about what to do.

: The only thing we can do now is go back to Garden as soon as possible and warn the students. Alright, let's get in the car and go.

Galbadia's kind of got us on our back foot on this one.

: They're targetting both Balamb and Trabia Gardens!

Well, that's a wrench in the works.

: We have to interfere with the launch! We have to stop the missiles!

Now we have a chance to walk around a bit and hear what everyone else has to say.

There's an Aero draw point over here. Might as well.

Now, back to taking to people. Zell's not got much to say, but it is interesting to see him not chomping at the bit.

Irvine's scared to piss off the sorceress.

Rinoa will just go along with the plan, but seems to implicitly favour going to the missile base.

Quistis is stating the obvious, but it's true. Attacking Trabia as well is a pretty big shift, since they're not really attached to the whole attempt on the sorceress's life. That's just whatever vendetta she has against Gardens.

Since we're the responsible party here, let's make the classic Squall play and run away from our problems.

Unfortunately, we can't actually leave this map. Let's go talk to Selphie.

: I can't just sit around knowing that Trabia Garden is in danger! So Squall, please! Decide who's gonna go to the Galbadia Missile Base, before it's too late!
: (It's easier said than done... What if something happens to the party members I choose...?)

Selphie's not wrong, and Squall knows it, but he's scared of something happening to them.

: Let's take a vote!

There's no way the B-team is just going to let him off the hook for it, either.

: Squall will decide on the party. Squall will return to Balamb Garden, because he's the leader. Anyone against this plan please raise your right hand!

No hands go up, but I couldn't get a shot without the next text box starting.

: (But you're an outsider?)

I think that a big part of why Rinoa comes with the party here is because she understands how responsible she is for everything going on. It's similar to what happened in Deling City.

: (Leader? I never asked to be the leader.)

The fact that Squall doesn't voice his concerns or objections, again, informs a lot of the character interaction here.

The conversation about who's doing what is cut short by the missiles.

: I...heard they were hitting Trabia first, and then Balamb.

Selphie, naturally, takes this pretty hard.

: Please, let everybody be all right. Please...

:smith:

For now, it's back to talking to everyone.

Rinoa and Quistis are both pretty clear here.

Zell and Irvine are a little less thematically inclined.

Back to Selphie.

It wasn't something I paid attention to while playing, but everyone except Selphie is facing away from Squall here.

Squall doesn't want to do it, but he'll do it anyway. That's just how he is.

This is the party I'll be taking back to Balamb with me. Squall, since he's got to go; Rinoa, since it's still Squall's responsibility to protect her, as per the contract; and Quistis, since she knows the most about Garden and might still have some pull. I think this party is most thematically appropriate, but it also has some other effects that made me choose it.

: I have to be! They launched missiles at MY Trabia!

Naturally.

Let's go.

This is true, and it's a pretty big change. This is a pretty big turning point for both the game, story-wise, and for Squall, personally.

: Selphie, do you have some kind of plan?
: I think if we take this Galbadian army vehicle, we should be able to make it inside the base. But...that's about it. I'll have to think about the rest once we're inside.

This is also a change. Until now, we've always had very detailed plans laid out beforehand.

: Do you think that'd be ok? I'm sorry... I mean, thanks. There isn't much time! You better hurry to Balamb Garden!

Squall seems confident in his choice of party.

And with that, everyone gets in their cars and gets ready to go.

Everyone in this game just loves to be on the drat train.

You can't leave this map, either.

Let's go take that train, then.

As luck would have it, it's unoccupied.

Don't mind if I do.

This guy doesn't seem to be a fan.

: Squall! There's a soldier coming after us!
: ......

Squall's not impressed by one G-Soldier.

He keeps up for a while, though.

After chasing the train for a bit, the guy trips and faceplants.

Quistis is pretty great.

Cool Ghost fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 7, 2016

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Selphie forcing herself into the missile base party always gets me. :ohdear:

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
I almost always took a male/female split here, so I'm not... entirely sure I've ever seen anyone but Irvine comment on the Most Athletic Soldier in Galbadia. He's a bit better at it than Quistis as I recall, but still, good effort.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I went with Quistis and Zell to Balamb and sent Rinoa to the missile base in the hopes that a missile turns around and hits her in the face.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 21, 2015

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
I almost always took Zell to Balamb with Rinoa because I didn't trust Zell with nuclear missiles.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Brony Hunter posted:

I almost always took Zell to Balamb with Rinoa because I didn't trust Zell with nuclear missiles.

My team was Quistis and Rinoa. Sent Zell and Irvine to the base.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CmdrKing posted:

I almost always took a male/female split here, so I'm not... entirely sure I've ever seen anyone but Irvine comment on the Most Athletic Soldier in Galbadia. He's a bit better at it than Quistis as I recall, but still, good effort.

I believe there's either a priority system or a 'which character is in this slot' system for that scene. My guess is it goes Quistis > Zell > Rinoa.

Who you pick also has impacts on scenes later on, but I'll get to that when we get there.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

I generally put teem SeeD on missile base duty. Zell's good with tech stuff and Quitsis should hopefully instill some form of responsibility to reign in Selphie's revenge instincts.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I generally take Zell and Rinoa and let Quistis and Irvine accompany Selphie. The thinking is Quistis can provide some quasi-responsibility to the group in the likely event that Selphie spazzes out, and Irvine is assigned to go with them because screw Irvine, he bugs me.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I personally let Quistis and Zell support Selphie because Gateway Team for life.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I generally take Zell and Rinoa and let Quistis and Irvine accompany Selphie. The thinking is Quistis can provide some quasi-responsibility to the group in the likely event that Selphie spazzes out, and Irvine is assigned to go with them because screw Irvine, he bugs me.

this is a terrible mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

morallyobjected posted:

this is a terrible mistake

The further along we go in this LP the more convinced I am that this is what's going on in Squall's head every time he "..."'s.

I've always felt that the Balamb team should go back to Balamb and have sent Irvine and Rinoa with Selphie to the missile base.

• Locked thread